Sponsored by:

C7 - Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 11:40 PM
VETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ADVBedouin
I've not been keepin up w/ the posts, but did whatever you saw look like this, or is this jalopnik-based C&D pic based off a high-perfromance model (ZR1?) slated for later release?

Here's another pic that just came out - somehow familiar but different?...

http://www.motorauthority.com/image/...-been-released
Old 12-06-2012, 12:33 AM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by keeks2915
My track record has been pretty good so far.... But you can judge on jan.13
Fine. But you failed to answer my questions.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:23 AM
RPOZ51
Race Director

Location: For the strength of the pack is the wolf . . . . . . and the strength of the wolf is the pack.
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by GS_V
is this the same guy that has a harley with no chrome?

-the red tow hook

Stay out of trouble, old friend. Shoot me a PM!

Old 12-06-2012, 08:36 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by OJCrush08
Well, as always, it's in the eyes of the beholder and opinions are like...well, like body orifices, we all have them.

If it looks almost like, or like the renderings we have seen, I'm not impressed. There is a tremendous amount of competition in this market niche, especially as Corvette pricing continues its steady upward trend. If they don't hit it out of the ballpark and can maintain yearly sales for way over what they have been selling for the last few years, the marque is in danger of following Olds, Pontiac, Saturn, etc.

Article in yesterday's WSJ stated that GM is sitting on hundreds of thousands of unsold vehicles. That tells me that they will not likely sustain Corvette for long if this is not a runaway success.

Another issue which is underway now, has potential ramifications for future Corvette sales. A lot of people in the C7 forum are fixated here and may not be paying much attention to the rapidly growing number of pretty unhappy long term Corvette customers in the C6 Z06 forum. Empirical evidence is steadily mounting that there maybe serious design deficiencies with the LS7, and GM has continually refused to address this issue is a serious way with the buyers of some of their most expensive products. These deficiencies can and have led to the complete failures of statistically relevant numbers of $15,000 motors.

So, the C7 will need to be an unabashed runaway success for many reasons - it will be interesting to see what happens...
Off Topic: How many non-modded failures?

On Topic: jmho I like the renderings...Cant wait to see the Z06 version
Old 12-06-2012, 08:38 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by troller399
Off Topic: How many non-modded failures?

On Topic: jmho I like the renderings...Cant wait to see the Z06 version
Ding ding we have a winner!

I agree.....
Old 12-06-2012, 08:58 AM
keeks2915
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 42 Posts

Everyone knows the C7 has no flesh.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:01 AM
WHT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were in GM marketing and saw sales sliding, I would have someone like Keeks start posting "confidential" C7 information on the Forum to raise interest levels. Then, tell us how wonderful the car is in person using words like:

"If you are a corvette guy you know that feeling you get when you are alone in the garage just staring at your car.
That feeling you get when you are gently washing it caressing all its curves.

That goose bump feeling you get when you pass some slow poke maybe a hair too aggressively.

That feeling you get when you know all eyes are on you when you get out of the car at the corner store.

When that 7 year old boy walking with his mother visually locks on your car screaming at his mother to look as he points at your car with all his focus. That is the C7 in the flesh...."

I can almost see the Super Bowl commercial now. What? You really think you're not being played?
Old 12-06-2012, 09:08 AM
oldvtr
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Flesh

Everyone knows the C7 has no flesh.
Now, that's funny right there - i don't care who you are!
Old 12-06-2012, 09:12 AM
VETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OJCrush08
Empirical evidence is steadily mounting that there maybe serious design deficiencies with the LS7, and GM has continually refused to address this issue is a serious way with the buyers of some of their most expensive products. These deficiencies can and have led to the complete failures of statistically relevant numbers of $15,000 motors.

Yes, Z06 owners have a serious concern. But likely wrong that there are design issues with the LS7. The data points to otherwise. The LS7 is probably still one of the best engines ever *designed* by GM. No less an issue, all evidence points to a supplier QC problem with faulty heads being machined off-spec (and a customer service issue).

If it's happened there, it could easily happen in the new C7.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:38 AM
keeks2915
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by WHT
If I were in GM marketing and saw sales sliding, I would have someone like Keeks start posting "confidential" C7 information on the Forum to raise interest levels. Then, tell us how wonderful the car is in person using words like:

"If you are a corvette guy you know that feeling you get when you are alone in the garage just staring at your car.
That feeling you get when you are gently washing it caressing all its curves.

That goose bump feeling you get when you pass some slow poke maybe a hair too aggressively.

That feeling you get when you know all eyes are on you when you get out of the car at the corner store.

When that 7 year old boy walking with his mother visually locks on your car screaming at his mother to look as he points at your car with all his focus. That is the C7 in the flesh...."

I can almost see the Super Bowl commercial now. What? You really think you're not being played?
No conspiracy. I wish GM was paying me some $$$$.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:53 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,219 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
Make no mistake, there is every chance that in the flesh I will love the car. But right now what is being posted are renderings that are supposedly pretty accurate. The renderings are what we are commenting on. That's pretty plain and simple. For some reason, those of us who are stating that we don't like it are being referred to as "haters".

I've owned seven Corvettes - all bought new. One C4, two C5's and four C6's. I think I have the right to say that I don't like what I'm seeing, as does anyone else on this forum. I hope I'm wrong because I still hope to buy another new Corvette in a few years - during the C7's run.

But given what we have so far, there are certain angles I really don't like, and certain angles (direct side view) that I like in some of the renderings, but not others.
Lots of us have had a neutral or negative reaction to pictures we've seen so far. Personally, based on what's been presented at this point, I think it's an underwhelming and overly busy design. Not at all unattractive or "off-putting", just somewhat disappointing given that GM had a clean slate to work with.

Like you Jim, I hope the renderings are off enough that they miss the real visual impact of the new design. I really hope that, in the flesh, the C7 brings a smile to my face. Another 5 weeks and we'll all know.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:42 AM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
First year of new model.
All new engine.
Temporarily outsourced trans.
Styling?

Best of luck.

I have owned around 25 vettes from all 6 generations to date. Out of those 25 I have owned 3 first year brand new vettes and without a doubt the first year ones were the poorest quality and trouble prone of all that I have owned.

1. The first was a brand new 63 spit window that I hated driving from nearly the first day and deeply regretted getting rid of my 57 fuelie to buy it. Got rid of it after 6 months and bought a 64 convert.

2. The second was a brand new 68 convert, one of the first delivered in the nation. Cool looking car that drew a huge amount of attention but the quality was horrible and the paint was so bad that the dealer I bought it from completely repainted it under GM's orders.

3. The third was a brand new 84 coupe and that one also was a pain from day one.

Since the 84 I have been waiting around 3 years before jumping on a new generation and have been far happier and far less problems.

I'm hoping that the C7 is less angular and more rounded than the C6. I'm going to be very disappointed if they look like the renderings I have seen to date. GM has alternated rounded sensuous bodies and angular edgy body styles every other generation. C1 was rounded, C2 was angular, C3 rounded, C4 angular, C5 rounded and C6 angular.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:02 PM
RJ-92
Race Director

Received 327 Likes on 156 Posts

Keeks, would that be a Timmy Ho's drive thru?
Old 12-06-2012, 12:30 PM
a_drogan
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
I'm getting one!
Me too.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:46 PM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
Make no mistake, there is every chance that in the flesh I will love the car. But right now what is being posted are renderings that are supposedly pretty accurate. The renderings are what we are commenting on. That's pretty plain and simple. For some reason, those of us who are stating that we don't like it are being referred to as "haters".

I've owned seven Corvettes - all bought new. One C4, two C5's and four C6's. I think I have the right to say that I don't like what I'm seeing, as does anyone else on this forum. I hope I'm wrong because I still hope to buy another new Corvette in a few years - during the C7's run.

But given what we have so far, there are certain angles I really don't like, and certain angles (direct side view) that I like in some of the renderings, but not others.
Don't you fret, you and I know YOU will be buying a C7.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

there are some who are simply "fanboys" for certain cars. I am not saying that is a bad thing, but for these people, even a corvette that resembled a Ford Pinto would be appealing to them. I am interested to see how the non-corvette crowd views the C7.

To me, the C7 has sharper/edgier lines and the front clip looks like it is sitting up higher off the ground...

I have always prefered low, wide, and slanted cars...to me, the C7 seems to sit higher, be narrower, and has a taller front clip. I still can't wait to see it in real life. I am not getting my hopes up though.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I didn't want this post to get lost in another thread so I am copying it here.

I am not connected to GM in any way and I am not a shill.

I respect everyone's opinion both ways on the partial info that has been released to date. That is what makes the world go round.

Here goes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEJ
Keeks, you have a stellar reputation on this forum so I want to ask: you say the C7 looks drop dead gorgeous (My words, not quoting) in person, right? So what do you think of these pictures? I think these picture show a hideous design. Does the "real" car look that much better? Because I can't see these renders tranferring to a beautiful design.
Talk to me fellow Canadian!

If you are a corvette guy you know that feeling you get when you are alone in the garage just staring at your car. That feeling you get when you are gently washing it caressing all its curves.
When that 7 year old boy walking with his mother visually locks on your car screaming at his mother to look as he points at your car with all his focus.
That is the C7 in the flesh....

You will hear crickets on this forum January 14th from the doubters, even more so when they see the first auto transport truck drive by or when the THAT guy in town orders his double double from Tim Horton's right in front of you idling his LT1 with those beautiful tailights.

I will be THAT guy.
I have no doubt it will be the business. And thats just from judging how much GM has improved as a company since it almost went bankrupt.

As great as the C6 is (and I love mine) it was a product of the lazy, rather uncompetitive GM.. is still an 9 year old platform. Every newly redesigned vehicle GM has produced post-bankruptcy has been an absolute hit. With the Cadillac ATS being the latest home run. Based off that information alone, I believe there will be alot people on here with some big regrets who jumped the gun. Specifically those who ran out to buy a current C6.. solely based off poor leaked/rumored information about the upcoming C7.

To each his own, but I personally think its crazy to buy a C6 right now.. with the C7 announcement just 5 weeks away. I would atleast wait until after the actual C7 announcement, before deciding which one I wanted. I've been dead set on getting an '08/09 Z06 sometime in the next 1-2 years, but as the C7 gets closer and more information leaks out. I find my attention completely focused on the 01/13/13 public revealing.

Last edited by Daekwan06; 12-06-2012 at 01:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 - Review

Old 12-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
I have no doubt it will be the business. And thats just from judging how much GM has improved as a company since it almost went bankrupt.

As great as the C6 is (and I love mine) it was a product of the lazy, rather uncompetitive GM.. is still an 9 year old platform. Every newly redesigned vehicle GM has produced post-bankruptcy has been an absolute hit. With the Cadillac ATS being the latest home run. Based off that information alone, I believe there will be alot people on here with some big regrets who jumped the gun. Specifically those who ran out to buy a current C6.. solely based off poor leaked/rumored information about the upcoming C7.

To each his own, but I personally think its crazy to buy a C6 right now.. with the C7 announcement just 5 weeks away. I would atleast wait until after the actual C7 announcement, before deciding which one I wanted. I've been dead set on getting an '08/09 Z06 sometime in the next 1-2 years, but as the C7 gets closer and more information leaks out. I find my attention completely focused on the 01/13/13 public revealing.

Great post

......I was looking at a C6/GS

....then I said to myself....

....it's long in the tooth.....

...and the C7 is right around the corner.....

...Easy decision......

...Deposit on C7 made......@ MSRP

....I want to be "THAT guy"....

....doing fly by's with KEEKS(AKA:"Special K") in our smoking hot C7's....

.......Snapping necks along the way......

Last edited by Hemi Dave; 12-06-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:51 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by StanNH
Lots of us have had a neutral or negative reaction to pictures we've seen so far. Personally, based on what's been presented at this point, I think it's an underwhelming and overly busy design. Not at all unattractive or "off-putting", just somewhat disappointing given that GM had a clean slate to work with.

Like you Jim, I hope the renderings are off enough that they miss the real visual impact of the new design. I really hope that, in the flesh, the C7 brings a smile to my face. Another 5 weeks and we'll all know.

This could spell disaster if it is not a distinct improvement over the C6 and it's other competition.

The following is a direct quote from an article from Forbes titled "General Motors Is Headed For Bankruptcy -- Again"

"Automobile technology is progressing so fast that the best vehicle in a given segment is usually just the newest design in that segment. Accordingly, if a car company comes out with a new, completely redesigned vehicle, it had better be superior to the older models being offered by its competitors. If it is not, the company will spend the next five years (the usual time between major redesigns in this segment) losing market share and/or offering costly “incentives” to “move the metal”."

Link to article:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/louiswoo...kruptcy-again/
Old 12-06-2012, 02:06 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Doesn't really remind me of C3, but the butt is definitely smaller than C6.

The butt is smaller than the C6?

It looks huge (vertically - i.e. top to bottom). Do you mean narrower?

Quick Reply: C7 - Review