Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
I never thought of a C5 as "edgy",,,,,unless you consider a bar of soap "edgy."
Old 12-04-2012, 10:26 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,145 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by GordyRay
Let's not get wrapped around the axle with these unsubstantiated photos on the C&D magazine. I have talked with a few people that have seen and driven the car. They say it looks good and drives great. Isn't that what we wanted? A better all around version of the mighty Corvette. Just looking at the test mules they still look like Corvettes. I don't want a new car that is not recognized as being connected to the Corvette generation. This C7 will be lighter, faster, quicker/improved handling and upgraded inside. The front and sides look good. I believe we will accept the back when we see it for real.

Keeks says it is good and he is in line to buy another Corvette.
The newer technology alone will make it worth having. Just wait until late Spring 2013, after all the test drives have been accomplished by every car magazine out there. They will say that the Corvette has significantly improved just as they stated back in 2005 about the C6.

My favorite Corvette is the C2, C3, C6, C5, C4, C1 just based on appearance. Performance wise it is definitely the C6. Well if the C7 is better, then move over C6. I will get used to the C7 back side, especially if I am inside and hauling the mail getting decent MPG.

By the way (RPM94's car), that RED Corvette ZO6 on the previous post is awesome. One Bad *** Car.
Fuze
Good post.

At least GM designers have the guts to break with tradition a bit and redefine the Corvette to a degree......unlike Porsche designers who are so arrogantly convinced that their "timeless" design only needs subtle tweaks every few years. Not that the 911 isn't a great car, but I look forward to something new and fresh with each generation. Not every detail may be a home run, but GM usually doesn't disappoint where the Corvette is concerned. I think the C7 will be one of their finest hours.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:41 PM
richard goepfrich
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW..My C-5 is looking better everyday..
Old 12-04-2012, 11:07 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The C8 design just went out...with removable top.

So now it is time for a C8 Forum of it's own!!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Axial
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So far, the C7 looks alright to me, but not really that interesting. If the renderings are accurate, it just screams "we played it safe." Look at how radical C1 was from C2, C3 was from C2, and C4 was from C3. C5 was basically a wider, rounder C4 (the body panel seams make this apparent), and C6 was a smaller, more chiselled C5.

I would like to see a production Corvette that puts a little bit less emphasis on the aerodynamics of the car and focuses a little more on looking unique. A Corvette using harder angles and a more exaggerated, chiselled body line. The C4 got the hard angles aspect, and in that regard it is thus far unique within the Corvette lineage.

I've been watching cars get increasingly curvier and egg-shaped all of my life. To me, square is the new cool. No, not to the point of the Scion xB or KIA Soul (those are just being obnoxious), but having greater angularity in the shape. It's eye-catching to me when somebody does something more decidedly geometric and less round. I'm somewhat excited that the C7 is indicating that angular is coming into fashion again, but it's pretty tame. I want C8 to lay it on harder.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:42 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Axial
So far, the C7 looks alright to me, but not really that interesting. If the renderings are accurate, it just screams "we played it safe." Look at how radical C1 was from C2, C3 was from C2, and C4 was from C3. C5 was basically a wider, rounder C4 (the body panel seams make this apparent), and C6 was a smaller, more chiselled C5.

I would like to see a production Corvette that puts a little bit less emphasis on the aerodynamics of the car and focuses a little more on looking unique. A Corvette using harder angles and a more exaggerated, chiselled body line. The C4 got the hard angles aspect, and in that regard it is thus far unique within the Corvette lineage.

I've been watching cars get increasingly curvier and egg-shaped all of my life. To me, square is the new cool. No, not to the point of the Scion xB or KIA Soul (those are just being obnoxious), but having greater angularity in the shape. It's eye-catching to me when somebody does something more decidedly geometric and less round. I'm somewhat excited that the C7 is indicating that angular is coming into fashion again, but it's pretty tame. I want C8 to lay it on harder.
Great point Ax and if you have followed Cadillac design for the past few years they have really struggled (successfully) with a complex combination of sharp lines and curves.

I believe the C7 will benefit from Cadillac 's design experience.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:59 AM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Axial

C4...hard angles?? Really? Hmmm. Looking back, I think the C4 design holds up worse than almost any generation. Not saying it's a bad looking car (I had three of them) but the long overhangs make the wheelbase look short and the car just reeks of awkward 80's proportions. The lower rear looks especially unfinished. Its' unique, alright, but not in a good way, IMHO.

Not bashing it at all as I think Corvettes hold up better than most cars from their respective eras but I find the C4 pretty weak in both design and execution. I'll never forget the first time I removed the roof on my '84 Z51.....I thought the car was falling apart. Having said all that, I loved my '93 coupe. The difference between it and my '99 C5 was eye-opening, though.

FWIW my design favorites list is C2, C6, C3, C5, C4, C1.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:22 AM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by John T
Great point Ax and if you have followed Cadillac design for the past few years they have really struggled (successfully) with a complex combination of sharp lines and curves.

I believe the C7 will benefit from Cadillac 's design experience.
I hope so.

Sweet Caddy:
Attached Images   
Old 12-06-2012, 03:51 AM
Axial
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wasn't really trying to say that the C4 is the prettiest of the bunch, just that it's unique in that it is rather flat and angular versus the swooping curves on the rest. Compared to any other generation, the C4 is a veritable knife. You can have angular without the aged looking overhangs, etc.

Also, Caddy has me looking forward to their designs. I really want to see what they would do with another coupe roadster, given the chance.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:04 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

I hope so.

Sweet Caddy:

The lines on that caddy looks like some Lambo designers worked on it. Looks good.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Aozora
Burning Brakes

Received 865 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by jr3
The lines on that caddy looks like some Lambo designers worked on it. Looks good.
It looks like a Prius to me..
Old 12-06-2012, 03:02 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope so.

Sweet Caddy:
Is that a currently-offered model? Seems too good to be true.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:26 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanjo11
The C7 would be fine, no question the C6 is going to look dated next to the C7.
The C6 base will. The C7 will have to be something totally different in the flesh to make a Widebody C6 look dated imo.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:15 PM
rpanesar
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
The C6 base will. The C7 will have to be something totally different in the flesh to make a Widebody C6 look dated imo.
I agree....the C6 wide body still looks sharp when you compare it to most sports cars on the road. The C7 may have some things going for it but to say it will kill the C6 Z06/ZR1 is a far cry from reality.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:14 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
I would sure take one if it is going to be offered. (If its NOT an electric vehicle, i still dont trust EV's).

The car looks great. The shape of the car kinda looks like a Lambo Gallardo.

Last edited by jr3; 12-07-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:34 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

I never thought of a C5 as "edgy",,,,,unless you consider a bar of soap "edgy."
Hahaha no kidding!! I was like WTF when I read what he wrote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:37 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

C4...hard angles?? Really? Hmmm. Looking back, I think the C4 design holds up worse than almost any generation. Not saying it's a bad looking car (I had three of them) but the long overhangs make the wheelbase look short and the car just reeks of awkward 80's proportions. The lower rear looks especially unfinished. Its' unique, alright, but not in a good way, IMHO.

Not bashing it at all as I think Corvettes hold up better than most cars from their respective eras but I find the C4 pretty weak in both design and execution. I'll never forget the first time I removed the roof on my '84 Z51.....I thought the car was falling apart. Having said all that, I loved my '93 coupe. The difference between it and my '99 C5 was eye-opening, though.

FWIW my design favorites list is C2, C6, C3, C5, C4, C1.
The flex on those cars was unreal. Plus it took you a half hour to get the freakin roof off.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking forward to the C8

Old 12-07-2012, 07:39 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JLinNY
The flex on those cars was unreal. Plus it took you a half hour to get the freakin roof off.

Oh yeah....the screws! I'd forgotten about that! What a horrible design.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:41 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
I believe it's the Cadillac version of the Volt....coming soon to a theater near you.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:44 PM
designerRob
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregory123
There is a cleaness, a purity of line that drew me to the C6 that to me is lacking in the C7. It now seems to have a strong Asian design influence that doesn't really appeal to me.

What do you guys think?
I agree with your take on the C6. Imo, one of the best sports car designs of all time. I believe the C7 will be an incredible sports car as well. Hopefully the interior will be quality out of the box this time. The exterior will be awesome too as long as you dig the harder lines.

Quick Reply: Looking forward to the C8