Sponsored by:

Here's an Upscale Idea: Bring Back Individual Options

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Default Here's an Upscale Idea: Bring Back Individual Options

Wasn't it the Japanese that brought us the limited menu of options in the form of packages?

Many upscale brands now have packages, too, but they also allow buyers to purchase equipment in the packages individually, i.e. without getting an entire package. BMW would be an example of this. Porsche has options for just about everything under the sun. The Corvette use to be available this way, too.

I feel individual options fit the Corvette a lot better than packages. People love to feel that their Corvette is unique, and individual options allow that. As recently as 2000 (and perhaps later), a Corvette could be ordered with individual options. It's time to bring individual options back.

Michael
Old 12-01-2012, 09:44 PM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

Yes, down with "bundling".
Old 12-01-2012, 10:00 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree that one should be able to add individual options OR purchase a "package", just like it used to be
Old 12-01-2012, 10:23 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by millpond
Yes, down with "bundling".
Especially now with JIT manufacturing, an always-on global network everyone can access, and modern logistics, doing individual options is more feasible than ever. And yet the trend is the other way.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:18 PM
CitationZ06@yahoo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With how small and light eletronics have become I would hope the GM Flag Ship will come with one standard nav/radio/alarm unit, one world class seat/leather package. The option list should be short..the first year or two any way
wheels/tire/brake
color
hard top/glass/vert
performance package
M7 ro A8

As the years go on I can see the "packages" add to the list.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:35 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Yes, the japanese brands did introduce bundled packages a long time ago. Bundling gives a manufacturer cost advantages since they can control the number of variations they have in manufacturing and all of the support structure required to provide those variations. This simplifies order processing, purchasing of components and assembly.

I would like to see individual option packaging returned but I doubt it will until somebody figures out how to do it without raising costs. Individual order processing can end up with some weird combinations as well.

Bill
Old 12-02-2012, 06:26 AM
BigKitty
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no sunroofs!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:11 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This has been my take on this issue for a long time.
a la carte - (of a restaurant meal) having unlimited choices with a separate price for each item
Old 12-02-2012, 08:47 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BlueOx
This has been my take on this issue for a long time.
Me too Blue, but I don't think a total RPO spread of all options will happen. Maybe something like this could work:

Performance packages
1) 6.2 or 7.0 (or some other engine) with appropriate drive train components
2) NA or Turbo upgrades
3) Suspension, either touring or track
Interior packages
1) Minimal weight option
2) Touring
3) Premium
Specific add backs or deletes under each package.
1) Short list of RPOs such as transparent roof, etc.

Bottom line, it's time for GM to get more creative with packaging especially with today's superior factory parts inventory control capabilities.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:59 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

By bundling options, total cost of has been reduced. An individual option could cost as much as a bundle option package. Unfortunately there might be that one item that is in a higher priced package that is a must have option. Examples: HUD, power top. Another disadvantage, you get used to these additional options that now become must have on the next purchase.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:00 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
Me too Blue, but I don't think a total RPO spread of all options will happen. Maybe something like this could work:

Performance packages
1) 6.2 or 7.0 (or some other engine) with appropriate drive train components
2) NA or Turbo upgrades
3) Suspension, either touring or track
Interior packages
1) Minimal weight option
2) Touring
3) Premium
Specific add backs or deletes under each package.
1) Short list of RPOs such as transparent roof, etc.

Bottom line, it's time for GM to get more creative with packaging especially with today's superior factory parts inventory control capabilities.
I agree it ain't likely to happen the way I want it to. I think a lot of Corvette owners would eat it up if they did. Some wouldn't because they want a MODEL (y'know, like Z51!) with exclusive options.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:15 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I agree it ain't likely to happen the way I want it to. I think a lot of Corvette owners would eat it up if they did. Some wouldn't because they want a MODEL (y'know, like Z51!) with exclusive options.
Oh so true about the model thing. There is a lot to be said though of being able to build yourself a "stealth" optioned C7.

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 12-02-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Not gonna happen. GM's overall mentality is more buffet, than they are fancy steakhouse. Yes you can still get a great steak.. but dont expect it to be some special butcher's cut, 30 day aged kobe beef. Its angus sirloins for everybody, and nystrip for those who want to pay a little more.

Not only does providing that level of customization kill the bottom line, but it also increases the pricing of the base car & options. Ala carte options sound great, until you go spec something like a Porsche where they nickel & dime you for everything. Its a turnoff to the average GM customer and simply to much of risk to the way they have generally done business. Look at how much flak the airlines catch now, because they charge you for every little thing (vs including it all in a slightly higher fare price).

You expect to get nickel & dimed for everything on a already expensive German car.. part of the experience is paying more to guarantee your car is a little bit different. You dont expect that on a pretty common American vehicle, and yes the Corvette is pretty common. The Corvette's ultimate goal is to offer world class performance at an affordable price. The further you stray from that, the more of your target audience you lose. I'm not saying that GM wont improve the interior, fit & finish and other major gripes. But beyond paint, colour stitching and 2 tone leather options.. dont expect much customization outside of the typical 1/2/3 trim levels.

Even if you look at every single model from the GS to the Z06 to ZR1. You are basically taking the base car, going into the parts bin and adding a huge bundle package to create a "new" C6 model. Yes the aluminum frame & LS7 are parts. The ZR1 w/PDE is pretty much a base C6 with every single "option" available.

About the only upscale/alacarte option I really believe we will see on the C7 is some sort of Recaro racing seat option. GM has to have heard the biggest complaint about the C6 from pretty much every professional review is the seats have no support. Yet they also know their largest Corvette audience is older American males who prefer the "comfy" seats that are easy to get in/out and cruise around in.

Just like with the automatic/manual crowd.. the best solution is to offer both. They clearly need to address the needs of the high performance driving crowd and the comfy/cruising crowd. Offering a $1500-2000 Recaro "sport" seat option on every C7 is the best way to accomplish that.

Last edited by Daekwan06; 12-02-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:43 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by BigKitty
no sunroofs!
So because you don't like sunroofs, those that do need suffer ?
Old 12-02-2012, 10:13 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I would like to see individual option packaging returned but I doubt it will until somebody figures out how to do it without raising costs. Individual order processing can end up with some weird combinations as well.

Bill
They already have a system in place that supports numerous customer options with lock-outs for bogus combinations (like red leather and red paint). I think what's desired is simply finer-grained control over which options all get selected at once.

I doubt this would raise costs much, but it would very probably lower profit margin. How many people spend thousands on 3LT for only one or two of its components? They make a lot of money on the bundles. This is more of a marketing problem than a manufacturing one.

One solution would be to leave the bundles in place and to supplement them with proportionally more expensive a la carte options (including delete options). So for example, if you were to buy 3LT one option at a time it would cost more than the bundle.

This won't please customers who think they're "subsidizing" something, but it would at least allow us to buy the car we want.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,282 Likes on 13,960 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I would go for being able to purchase just the options you want rather than getting them mixed in with a bunch of things you don't want.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:19 AM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Individual options still exist, however, in a much much lesser state than MY 2000 and before. NPP, rear spoilers, painted calipers, wheels and a few more individual options are available. The rest are all bundled up in different packages where if you want one item you have to get (and pay for) a lot that you don't need or want.
Today, not only do you have 4 option packages, you also have 7 different models of Corvette! Years back you had a Corvette Coupe or Convertible that you could order with several choices of engine, transmission, suspension, brake and many individual options to make your Corvette exactly the way you wanted it. Those days are gone!

Get notified of new replies

To Here's an Upscale Idea: Bring Back Individual Options

Old 12-02-2012, 01:55 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

I could understand bundling options if you're building 250,000 Camrys or even 100,000 Malibus.

But we're talking about at the MOST 30,000 cars. It's not like they are stamping out 500 identical Vettes for an entire shift every day.

If you go to the plant it looks like every single car that comes through is a custom build. A red Z06 is followed by a white GS vert and that by a silver base coupe and then a vert...
Old 12-02-2012, 03:24 PM
sprtplt
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
By bundling options, total cost of has been reduced.
Nope. There just is no way this is true today. The "bundles" exist to force us to buy things we don't want to get something we do, obviously.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by sprtplt
Nope. There just is no way this is true today. The "bundles" exist to force us to buy things we don't want to get something we do, obviously.
The price of the combined options is reduced. If you want every option in the package and had to pay each one individually the price would be higher, I remember when this practice started and the public loved it. When options were sold separately, even backup lights were options. One of the first option packages - comfort and convenience group = backup lights, LH outside rearview mirror, day/night inside rearview mirror, glovebox light. Do you want to go back to this?

Option packages do force you to purchase items you might not have ordered. Now these extra options are wanted items today. Example - tilt steering wheel. I remember when this was forced on me, wouldn't be without this option now.

Quick Reply: Here's an Upscale Idea: Bring Back Individual Options