Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Will the Back seat:
Turn ON Potential Customers
23.71%
Turn OFF Potential Customers
76.29%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Is having a back seat a plus or minus to buyers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 10:56 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

The Corvette is a 2 seat sports car.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:07 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I would never even consider it with a back seat. I am 6' 5" and cars with a back seat that are sporty are too cramped. That's why I sold my WS6 nad almost never drove it. Same wit the Camaro and Rustang. You can't get the same front seat space in a car that short. Plus it would look stupid. But the C7 is looking stupid already too me. Even the tiny Sky I traded in for my C6 had way more space for me than any 4 seat sports car. And I don't need it as my truck seats 6.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:23 PM
CitationZ06@yahoo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys must be getting old.. How do you get the girls home from the bar with no back seat.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:42 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by John T
I will have to go on the 'lamb' after this but here goes. I am a single dad with 4 children. 2 of the little guys are under 8. I want to buy a neat car and I want to have a little flexibility so I don't have to put the car back and use another car when some of the kids are around, that all....

I am always hearing " go buy a Camaro " etc and if that were my only option I would rather lay on a train track.
John, I feel your pain and passion to have a C7. It took me 40 years between the only two Corvettes I've ever owned, '65/'05. Family priorities trumped everything for me. Drove two cheap MGBs, one Fiero GT for years.

I think you will be disappointed waiting for a 2+2 C7 that probably will never be. If it was me in your situation, I would considered an alternative driving experience in the interim, such as a B%W "M" sedan.

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 12-02-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CitationZ06@yahoo
You guys must be getting old.. How do you get the girls home from the bar with no back seat.
Now you're talking. There was a time that I lost my chance with this girl, because I couldn't take her and her GF both at the same time in my car... But I rather loose a girl than having a stretched Corvette.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:54 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by TWS Racing
A Corvette is a 2-seat sports car. End of story.
Originally Posted by jb_va2001
The Corvette is a 2 seat sports car.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:29 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

The 911 keeps getting brought up here. Has anyone that brings up the 911 ever SEEN the "back seats" in a 911, much less TRIED to sit in them????
My 6 year old daughter would be uncomfortable in them...the seat backs are straight up and down, unless the driver and passenger are 5'4" or smaller, there is NO leg room. As far as the 928 and 924/944, well, when's the last time you saw one? I saw a 928 about 6 months ago, and literally had to think for a few seconds as to what it was.

Jimmy
Old 12-03-2012, 01:24 AM
Axial
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think having the option for a token back seat would actually attract a lot of buyers. I would never opt for it, but some people who really want the car but can't afford the lack of seating might be ecstatic over such an addition.

I mean, look at the Aston Martin Vanquish. It offers the option for back seats.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:46 AM
TonyCool
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I would say it would depend on execution. If the handling and performance of the car are unaffected for the most part (when there is no passengers in the rear seats). And the car looks outstanding... I don't see a problem with having rear seats.

As someone said look at the vanquish:

Or this:

Even if the seats are really small... How many people have sold their corvette because there is a baby on the way. Or because they can't enjoy the car with their kids. What's wrong with keeping the sports car you love for a few more years while the kids are still tiny, instead of forcibly moving to a more practical option.

I don't have kids and I don't need the rear seats... but I'm looking at the bigger picture. Extra seats must be optional though.

Tony

Last edited by TonyCool; 12-03-2012 at 04:28 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:01 AM
adamgl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z_Rocks
Now you're talking. There was a time that I lost my chance with this girl, because I couldn't take her and her GF both at the same time in my car... But I rather loose a girl than having a stretched Corvette.
Put her in the trunk.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:02 AM
adamgl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TonyCool
I would say it would depend on execution. If the handling and performance of the car are unaffected for the most part (when there is no passengers in the rear seats). And the car looks outstanding... I don't see a problem with having rear seats.

As someone said look at the vanquish:

Or this:

Even if the seats are really small... How many people have sold their corvette because there is a baby on the way. Or because they can't enjoy the car with their kids. What's wrong with keeping the sports car you love for a few more years while the kids are still tiny, instead of forcibly moving to a more practical option.

I don't have kids and I don't need the rear seats... but I'm looking at the bigger picture. Extra seats must be optional though.

Tony
The Vanquish is a 4000+ lb car
No comparison.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:10 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Buy a school bus....... Corvettes aren't for everyone. If it was it would be a Camaro.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:35 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Who needs it? Back seats would only quadruple the numbers of potential buyers for the car and why would GM ever want that?
Sheesh.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:14 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The 911 has always had the advantage of those two kiddie seats out back for emergency. I suspect the next generation mustang and even the camaro will have similar useless emergency seats as they shrink in size. The corvette doesn't need them.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

The likelyhood of the Corvette ever getting a back seat would be comparable to the "Holy Mother" posing for Playboy! It ain't ever going to happen...as it shouldn't!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:46 AM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

If you want the family truckster there are many options to suit that need and any back seat that would actually be useful for more than an infant would ruin the car. I say it is a knife to the heart of what I think a corvette should be, huge minus.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:58 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's always amazing to me to see the righteous indignation about things like this. It sounds a lot like the pop-up headlight whining. I say that the Corvette is a car that can and has changed with time. Some model/option package of the Corvette could make changes like this without affecting the other, more basic view of the Corvette. Let's not forget that the Corvette started as a 6-banger, automatic, convertible with a solid axel.

We moved on from that to a more complete, usable car that is, dare I say, practical, especially given it's sports car capabilities!

Last edited by BlueOx; 12-03-2012 at 10:01 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Is having a back seat a plus or minus to buyers?

Old 12-03-2012, 10:03 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Time to end this 2+2 madness! Without lengthing the C7 about 16" for a rear seats and it's back, not even including foot room is not going to happen. Otherwise, where would you relocate the two gas tanks?

After 2014 C7, who knows.

C6 Coupe

C6 Coupe
Old 12-03-2012, 10:06 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
It's always amazing to me to see the righteous indignation about things like this. It sounds a lot like the pop-up headlight whining. I say that the Corvette is a car that can and has changed with time. Some model/option package of the Corvette could make changes like this without affecting the other, more basic view of the Corvette. Let's not forget that the Corvette started as a 6-banger, automatic, convertible with a solid axel.

We moved on from that however to a more complete, usable car that is, dare I say, practical, especially given it's sports car capabilities!
2 + 2 seating is more dramatic a change then dumping pop up headlights or the shape of taillights.

No rear jump seats for corvette although I would still buy one ... I prefer corvette to stay as 2 seater...
Old 12-03-2012, 10:06 AM
TWS Racing
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

The couple people who are in favor of a back seat... or even those neutral about it... just don't get it. Brings to mind the saying: "If I have to explain it to you, you'll never understand".

It's like politics. If you try to be everything to everybody, then nothing good happens. It WOULD destroy the essence of the Corvette to a large percentage of enthusiasts.

Just because the Corvette has changed over the years is a weak analogy. The CORE of it's essence is a 2-seat sports car. It is AMERICA's 2-seat sports car (the Viper is a Johnny come lately with none of the Heritage of the Vette).

Thankfully even GM is not that stupid, so I don't see it happening in my lifetime.

Quick Reply: Is having a back seat a plus or minus to buyers?