C7 Taillight - Another Possibility?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:26 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Default C7 Taillight - Another Possibility?

Followed a Kia Rio at night and I was intreged by the look of its taillights. Although not anywhere near what we expect on the C7, there is some similarity in overall shape. What impressed me was that with the lower outside downward pointing area as part of the red lens, it look much better to me than what has been rendered as a black painted area on the C7. What do you think?

Notice how the complete Omega C7 taillight mold shows to be totally indented all the way around.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:34 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

I might add that this perspective is only apparent viewing from directly behind the Kia Rio, otherwise the side view is completely diffent from what we expect on the C7.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:58 AM
oldvtr
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
Followed a Kia Rio at night and I was intreged by the look of its taillights. Although not anywhere near what we expect on the C7, there is some similarity in overall shape. What impressed me was that with the lower outside downward pointing area as part of the red lens, it look much better to me than what has been rendered as a black painted area on the C7. What do you think?

Notice how the complete Omega C7 taillight mold shows to be totally indented all the way around.

There is a discrepancy in the illustrated C7 tail light and the shape shown in the Delta mold. The illustration shows a "painted" section at the outer ends whereas the mold shows that area is inset just as the rest of the tail light assembly is. I think this actual shape suggests a more dynamic flow to the actual tail light form. Also, the mold has two round insets and one more square. The illustration's two lights do not align with these insets - suggesting that the illustration is not a true depiction of the production tail lights. If speculation that the backup lights are to be located in vertical strips in the bumper edges is correct, one wonders about the purpose of the three insets. The inner, square one could be just for tail light assembly attachment to the bumper - remember the pride designers expressed at C6 release when describing how they did away with the visible mounting screws of previous generations' lenses? Of course that "solution" created a new cleaning wrinkle and a snag trap for loose threads on cleaning rags so - - - ???? a new mounting method?
Old 11-08-2012, 09:00 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Crabby, take a look at the new Mazda 3 , the rear fascia is convex, like the C7. Every time I am behind one I think of the C7. The RIO may have taken their look from the Mazda.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:20 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

I'm not a big fan of that painted black area suggested as shown in the renderings. Looks cheap to me. If, as the Omega pix clearly suggests and we seem to agree, that area is part of the overall taillight lens, it will look much better. How the individual elements are formatted may well be similar to a Camaro or entirely different.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:23 AM
Dudeurgettnavette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is no other possibility we know what it will look like
Old 11-08-2012, 10:13 AM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Crabby don't drink and drive! LOL just kidding
Old 11-08-2012, 01:29 PM
G-man1
Intermediate

I think that u are an i.d.i.o.t.. tired of the speculations, just wait for the revealing and if u like it-buy it, if not find something else and shut da **** up...
Old 11-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Garrett W
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kia???
Old 11-08-2012, 04:46 PM
TGstring
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

you were what, following the kia?
Old 11-08-2012, 05:24 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by TGstring
you were what, following the kia?
Don't worry, I sold my '05 C6 last year. Saving up now for a C7. I was driving the family sedan while behind the Kia.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:36 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Guys...this is from Keeks and nothing he has shown us is wrong yet. This is the closest to the rear end you will see and it matches the Omega Tool mold.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:24 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Guys...this is from Keeks and nothing he has shown us is wrong yet. This is the closest to the rear end you will see and it matches the Omega Tool mold.

GM created a fabric covered faux rear end on these camo cars that resembles the C6 rear fascia. In reality everything literally "points" to a much smaller rear fascia on the C7. The upside of the strongly tapered rear is the rear quarters will be more prominent than any previous drawings suggest. Look closely at the quarter panel/wheel well on the keeks CAD . That "flare" is bulging.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:27 PM
got2bblu
Drifting

Received 240 Likes on 96 Posts

Totally agree with you on this one Blue Ox. Keeks has not been wrong. It WILL look much better when you see the real thing. Tailights on most cars lately have become a work of art and this will be awesome. I have faith in the GM designers.

Originally Posted by BlueOx

Old 11-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by G-man1
I think that u are an i.d.i.o.t.. tired of the speculations, just wait for the revealing and if u like it-buy it, if not find something else and shut da **** up...
Really?...Really? Speculation, opinions, and discussions are what internet forums are all about. If you can't accept this, I suggest you save yourself the headace and leave this forum. No one is forcing you to participate.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:12 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by G-man1
... one too many "tail light thread".

Old 11-08-2012, 07:31 PM
G-man1
Intermediate

lol i'm cool... Besides we've already seen the tail lights....

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Taillight - Another Possibility?

Old 11-08-2012, 08:42 PM
CussCuss
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it just me or is something major being missed here? The tooling video shows 3 distinct indents/sections in the rear light area, but all the renders show only 2 tail lights per side, it doesnt really match.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:21 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CussCuss
Is it just me or is something major being missed here? The tooling video shows 3 distinct indents/sections in the rear light area, but all the renders show only 2 tail lights per side, it doesnt really match.
All you are missing is that those are the openings for lamps or something else. Those indents are only going to be for wiring/lamps or MAYBE even a camera...or TWO! Who knows...we may end up having 3D back up camera imagery! J/K
Old 11-08-2012, 10:32 PM
LS6GXP
Racer

I hope they turn the Corvette tail lights into works of art.... Now that the time has changed and I drive home in the dark. I find myself wanting to catch up to cars that have distinct tail lights...

Quick Reply: C7 Taillight - Another Possibility?