Sponsored by:

Conversation with Mr. Bob Lutz

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 02:21 PM
fla-buckeye
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Conversation with Mr. Bob Lutz

Was invited to the Concours d Elegance at Hilton Head, S.C. this past weekend. Mr. Bob Lutz was the honorary Grand Marshall. Was able to talk to him on two occasions and C7's were on my mind. Thought about how I would approach him on that subject, and what I came up with was, will we have any disappointments on the new C7?

He was very talkative, and had nothing but high praise for this new car, said it would be like no other car they ever built, with world class interior, and engineering. Said the difference between the C6 and the C7 would be like the difference between 1962 and 1963, in styling.

Mentioned that the wheelbase was a bit longer, and the engine had been moved back slightly to achieve a 50/50 weight distribution, and that the Viper engineers knew full well that they would be taking a back seat very shortly when the C7 is released. I tried to approach him about the shape of the tail light, but got no response, sorry. Did ask him on the second conversation if he had actually seen the car, and he said "Oh Yes". Also said the design was pretty much done by the old regime, and that mid engine, like the Cadillac Sixteen was slated for production until the problems with economy came upon GM. The V16 Cadillac was there running the show field, and was a beautiful concept car that was extremely quiet.

Mr. Lutz mention he couldn't wait for his, and that the ZR1 when released would be untouchable, did ask my wife more than once, did he say that? It was a thrill to talk, or listen to him about his life, so I thought I would pass this on to the forum members that can't wait for the C7.

Very special weekend for us, having won our class in the Preservation Class with our BMW Motorcycle.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:27 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2012, 02:54 PM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

Thanks for the info fla-buckeye. Got me extra excited about the C7!
Old 11-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Difference between 1962 and 1963 in styling? What we have seen; convertible top, mirrors, exhaust surround and concave side panels, major styling changes from the C6, less we forget the emblem. Engineering changes; LT1 engine, transmissions. The more we discover (???) this car will be amazing.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:40 PM
MudZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM has never delivered on the interior quality. Never. Maybe over the C6 the C7 interior will be a huge leap, but I doubt compared to other euro 2014 models it will be superior.

Here's to hoping it is not lip service this time around!
Old 11-05-2012, 04:04 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I'm dumbfounded that he said it was going to be mid-engine until the economy tanked. That I don't believe for a minute, nor do I think it should be mid engine as it takes away from day-to-day practicality. I think that is a myth that GM folks are told to perpetuate with every new generation coming.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:09 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by fla-buckeye
Was invited to the Concours d Elegance at Hilton Head, S.C. this past weekend. Mr. Bob Lutz was the honorary Grand Marshall. Was able to talk to him on two occasions and C7's were on my mind. Thought about how I would approach him on that subject, and what I came up with was, will we have any disappointments on the new C7?

He was very talkative, and had nothing but high praise for this new car, said it would be like no other car they ever built, with world class interior, and engineering. Said the difference between the C6 and the C7 would be like the difference between 1962 and 1963, in styling.

Mentioned that the wheelbase was a bit longer, and the engine had been moved back slightly to achieve a 50/50 weight distribution, and that the Viper engineers knew full well that they would be taking a back seat very shortly when the C7 is released. I tried to approach him about the shape of the tail light, but got no response, sorry. Did ask him on the second conversation if he had actually seen the car, and he said "Oh Yes". Also said the design was pretty much done by the old regime, and that mid engine, like the Cadillac Sixteen was slated for production until the problems with economy came upon GM. The V16 Cadillac was there running the show field, and was a beautiful concept car that was extremely quiet.

Mr. Lutz mention he couldn't wait for his, and that the ZR1 when released would be untouchable, did ask my wife more than once, did he say that? It was a thrill to talk, or listen to him about his life, so I thought I would pass this on to the forum members that can't wait for the C7.

Very special weekend for us, having won our class in the Preservation Class with our BMW Motorcycle.
That is good stuff and thanks a bunch for sharing buckeye ! Everyone can say what you want about him but there is no doubt he is a car loving maniac.

When I saw him being interviewed by Autoline he said the C7 was going to be " radically different " and I guess he is still sticking to that description !
Old 11-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by MudZ06
GM has never delivered on the interior quality. Never. Maybe over the C6 the C7 interior will be a huge leap, but I doubt compared to other euro 2014 models it will be superior.

Here's to hoping it is not lip service this time around!
The new ATS an XTS are more than on par with the competition in terms of build quality and materials from the reviews I've read and by sitting in them. I'm betting that the C7 will be the same.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:35 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmmm my take aways are "ZR1", which we have been told is gone, and the term "radical". I have to wonder what radical is to him. AWD? Turbos? Maximum Bob is not above joining in diversionary tactics.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:07 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Originally Posted by John T
That is good stuff and thanks a bunch for sharing buckeye ! Everyone can say what you want about him but there is no doubt he is a car loving maniac.

When I saw him being interviewed by Autoline he said the C7 was going to be " radically different " and I guess he is still sticking to that description !
His curriculum vitae is as impressive as they can possibly get! I suspect that he is accurately aware of what the 2015 or 2016 ZR1 is going to be comprised of and this should give some hope to those seeking a Corvette world beater.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Camaro_Corvette
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They really make this car sound like it's going to haul the mail....
Old 11-05-2012, 05:48 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

If GM continues on progress they have made with the XTS and ATS interiors, then I suspect we will not be let down by the build and materials quality. I may be let down if the the shapes of the dash, and console look similar to the Audi R8 which I do not think is attractive from a styling pespective. I much prefer symtry.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:56 PM
cfl70
Safety Car

Received 50 Likes on 19 Posts

That's some good info. I'm down at Hilton Head for vacation this week.seen some nice cars cruising up and down 278 on Sunday.I was wondering what was going on.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:57 PM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fla-buckeye
...... Also said the design was pretty much done by the old regime, and that mid engine, like the Cadillac Sixteen was slated for production until the problems with economy came upon GM. The V16 Cadillac was there running the show field, and was a beautiful concept car that was extremely quiet.
Should would like to see what that car was gonna look like....
Old 11-05-2012, 07:34 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Good stuff!
Old 11-05-2012, 08:07 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by CarBoy
Should would like to see what that car was gonna look like....
One of these days we will see concepts of the mid engine car . It will be a lot of fun scrutinizing those pics!
Old 11-05-2012, 08:17 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Originally Posted by John T
One of these days we will see concepts of the mid engine car . It will be a lot of fun scrutinizing those pics!
Some like the following, some don't. I like it but have no idea what the source of this image is:

Get notified of new replies

To Conversation with Mr. Bob Lutz

Old 11-05-2012, 10:15 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. That was quite a bit of exaggerating on his part...
Old 11-05-2012, 10:55 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Kappa and prinz. The Cadillac interiors are as good as any production car out there for the past 4 years.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:11 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

when the C7 ZR1 comes out we will be the judge of that...if...when...that is...preferably without vibrating rotors...perhaps they should [have] focused on that more...

Quick Reply: Conversation with Mr. Bob Lutz