Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Conversation with Mr. Bob Lutz

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 07:13 AM
Badluck33
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to put a deposit down on one today to ensure next summer delivery.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:51 AM
C8forT
Burning Brakes

Received 452 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by MudZ06
GM has never delivered on the interior quality. Never. Maybe over the C6 the C7 interior will be a huge leap, but I doubt compared to other euro 2014 models it will be superior.

Here's to hoping it is not lip service this time around!
Much of this is subjective, but in my opinion, GM has delivered great interior quality in the latest Cadillac generations. My CTS is 4 1/2 years old, and I still love the interior, and I often get comments from friends praising houw nice it is. The ATS is even nicer. I actually like the new Cadillac interiors better than BMW interiors.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:25 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,576 Likes on 2,166 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Thanks for sharing That was a great opportunity you had to speak with Bob Lutz. The change from the solid axles to the midyears in 63 was quite dramatic. From what we have seen I don't think it will be as revolutionary a change. It does sound like it will be a car we will like.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Dudeurgettnavette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He also had nothing but high praise for the volt too and that car is a disaster!
Old 11-06-2012, 10:59 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Dudeurgettnavette
He also had nothing but high praise for the volt too and that car is a disaster!
The Sky and the Solstice were also his babies. They were not a hit either, and are long gone. Before someone says they were part of two failed divisions, they were made in their own plant in DE, that was the most modern plant in GM's history. One of them could have been rebadged and saved, but it wasn't worth the trouble or expense.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:13 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

What do you base that statement on - any personal experience? Do you own one?

Personally I love both my C6 and my Volt. I find that most who criticize it are just parroting misinformation they have read somewhere and have no firsthand knowledge whatsoever.

Care to elaborate on your opinion and show me why my Volt is so bad?

Attached Images  
Old 11-06-2012, 12:07 PM
MudZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^probably referring to sales which are an indicator of success.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:49 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you driven one? It is a great car for what it is intended. If you are talking about sucky sales, you need to look at Corvette sales too.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:52 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The Sky and the Solstice were also his babies. They were not a hit either, and are long gone. Before someone says they were part of two failed divisions, they were made in their own plant in DE, that was the most modern plant in GM's history. One of them could have been rebadged and saved, but it wasn't worth the trouble or expense.
They were part of two failed divisions.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:55 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

^probably referring to sales which are an indicator of success.

Take a look at what Prius sales were like in its first two years..........
Old 11-06-2012, 12:56 PM
usroute66 MKW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Hurricane Sandy 's aftermath showed, it's nice to have a car in the stable like a Volt that can get by on gasoline OR electricity in the days after a natural disaster event , when hopefully one power source is available when the other isn't .
That's my thinking, here in the earthquake country of Norcal.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Blue Angel
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GM has never delivered on the interior quality. Never. Maybe over the C6 the C7 interior will be a huge leap, but I doubt compared to other euro 2014 models it will be superior.

Here's to hoping it is not lip service this time around!
The interior in my Cruze is a huge leap over the C6... I would expect much more from an all new 'Vette.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:48 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

While I think it's cool you got to speak with him about the C7, quite honestly, being in the position he is...there is no way in hell he is going to say one negative thing about the C7... I think instead of asking , "will there be any disappointments with the C7"

I would have asked, "what improvements/enhancements will make the C7 stand above and beyond the C6"? or "what would make the average C6 buyer want to trade up for a C7"

Not trying to be a dck..but your asking the CEO of a company about the flagship product due to launch in a few months..you are only going to hear positive feedback.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Also not to be a d%&@ but I can't imagine the "Viper engineers will be taking a back seat" when the C7 arrives! He was obviously creating a positive stir and as Tank said he should!!
Old 11-06-2012, 06:55 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankTank
While I think it's cool you got to speak with him about the C7, quite honestly, being in the position he is...there is no way in hell he is going to say one negative thing about the C7... I think instead of asking , "will there be any disappointments with the C7"

I would have asked, "what improvements/enhancements will make the C7 stand above and beyond the C6"? or "what would make the average C6 buyer want to trade up for a C7"

Not trying to be a dck..but your asking the CEO of a company about the flagship product due to launch in a few months..you are only going to hear positive feedback.

Last I knew he does not work for GM anymore.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:56 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

I'm sorry to hear that they scrubbed a mid-engine design because of the economy. I, for one, would be all for a mid-engine design.

Try to think of one existing mid-engine car for sale today that doesn't get your attention. I can't think of any.

If you've ever done a clutch job on a front engine, rear wheel drive car, then you know there is a lot of dead mass in exhaust and driveshaft on these cars. Mid engine cars launch better because of the mass over the drive wheels.

Every so often, somebody tries to build a front engine competitor to mid-engine race cars (Panoz LMP comes to mind), and it usually ends in failure.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:57 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Also not to be a d%&@ but I can't imagine the "Viper engineers will be taking a back seat" when the C7 arrives! He was obviously creating a positive stir and as Tank said he should!!
Maybe I read it wrong, but I think he said the Viper will be taking a back seat when the C7 ZR1 arrives.

Get notified of new replies

To Conversation with Mr. Bob Lutz

Old 11-06-2012, 07:00 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by jschindler
Last I knew he does not work for GM anymore.
you are right my bad, regardless though, I still highly doubt he would have anything negative to say about the Corvette... and if he has been privy to seeing the car first hand or knowledge the general public does not know..he could still get into hot water for saying anything but positive comments about the car

In addition, he worked at GM for what, 9-10 years? I would have loved to speak with him, I just would have worded the questions a bit different, no big deal.

Last edited by FrankTank; 11-06-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by fla-buckeye
Was invited to the Concours d Elegance at Hilton Head, S.C. this past weekend. Mr. Bob Lutz was the honorary Grand Marshall. Was able to talk to him on two occasions and C7's were on my mind. Thought about how I would approach him on that subject, and what I came up with was, will we have any disappointments on the new C7?

He was very talkative, and had nothing but high praise for this new car, said it would be like no other car they ever built, with world class interior, and engineering. Said the difference between the C6 and the C7 would be like the difference between 1962 and 1963, in styling.

Mentioned that the wheelbase was a bit longer, and the engine had been moved back slightly to achieve a 50/50 weight distribution, and that the Viper engineers knew full well that they would be taking a back seat very shortly when the C7 is released. I tried to approach him about the shape of the tail light, but got no response, sorry. Did ask him on the second conversation if he had actually seen the car, and he said "Oh Yes". Also said the design was pretty much done by the old regime, and that mid engine, like the Cadillac Sixteen was slated for production until the problems with economy came upon GM. The V16 Cadillac was there running the show field, and was a beautiful concept car that was extremely quiet.

Mr. Lutz mention he couldn't wait for his, and that the ZR1 when released would be untouchable, did ask my wife more than once, did he say that? It was a thrill to talk, or listen to him about his life, so I thought I would pass this on to the forum members that can't wait for the C7.

Very special weekend for us, having won our class in the Preservation Class with our BMW Motorcycle.
Originally Posted by jschindler
Maybe I read it wrong, but I think he said the Viper will be taking a back seat when the C7 ZR1 arrives.
You had me thinking I'm reading too fast. In paragraph 3 of the OP's post he doesn't mention the ZR1, he does later say the ZR1 will be untouchable when released though! Pretty big words, maybe he knows something we don't!!!
Old 11-06-2012, 09:46 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FrankTank
you are right my bad, regardless though, I still highly doubt he would have anything negative to say about the Corvette... and if he has been privy to seeing the car first hand or knowledge the general public does not know..he could still get into hot water for saying anything but positive comments about the car

In addition, he worked at GM for what, 9-10 years? I would have loved to speak with him, I just would have worded the questions a bit different, no big deal.
Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
You had me thinking I'm reading too fast. In paragraph 3 of the OP's post he doesn't mention the ZR1, he does later say the ZR1 will be untouchable when released though! Pretty big words, maybe he knows something we don't!!!
I suspect that Bob does have friends in high (and low) places at GM and is well informed, and knows how to play the games.

Quick Reply: Conversation with Mr. Bob Lutz