Why all the C7 Negativity?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 12:19 PM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Why all the C7 Negativity?

It seems like there is a lot of negative comments regarding the C7 before its even been unveiled to the public. Some dont like the LT1 and the cylinder deactivation ETC. I personally am looking forward to a revolutionary body style much different than the current C6 with a upgraded interior and better seats. GM has spent a lot of time on this car and it will outperform the C6 at every level. It becomes harder every year for the manufacturers to meet all the Fed standards and Cafe ratings and still have the performance wanted. Certain things like cylinder deactivation are necessary to build these cars.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:24 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

We all know the saying "You can't judge a book by its cover." There are many members here who are judging the C7 not only before they read the book, but before they even see the cover. Shame really, as the C7 may be an outstanding automobile.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:28 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,391 Likes on 683 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

My negativity is that Chevy is ditching the only two engines that set Corvette apart from the muscle car crowd, the LS7 and LS9. Now we have a base model only. That's the problem.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:36 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Seems many are living in the past.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:38 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by mikelj
My negativity is that Chevy is ditching the only two engines that set Corvette apart from the muscle car crowd, the LS7 and LS9. Now we have a base model only. That's the problem.
The C6 Z06 and ZR1 did not arrive during the first model year. Information we have received over the last few months suggests that the C7 Z06 may be out by the 2015 model year.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:02 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by redvette77
The C6 Z06 and ZR1 did not arrive during the first model year. Information we have received over the last few months suggests that the C7 Z06 may be out by the 2015 model year.
If it really happens, and I won't hold my breath given the ownership of GM, I will lose my negativity.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:13 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

How do you know we will only have a base model? That's the only engine(LT1) that GM has released any info on, at this point. Doesn't mean that it will be the ONLY engine available in the C7.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:15 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by redvette77
What information over the past few months suggests the the C7 Z06 may be out by the 2015 model year?
Old 10-30-2012, 01:20 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,014 Likes on 365 Posts

If it really happens, and I won't hold my breath given the ownership of GM, I will lose my negativity.
OK, I'll bite....what does that have to do with anything?

What did the federal government do to influence the design of the C7?

Be specific please.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:34 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RussM05
OK, I'll bite....what does that have to do with anything?

What did the federal government do to influence the design of the C7?

Be specific please.
Perhaps you missed the new CAFE regulations passed by a Democrat supermajority in 2009 at the direction of the major owner of GM, President Obama? Think that had no impact on the new C7? I would like to hear your evidence, be specific please.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:48 PM
vant
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps you missed the new CAFE regulations passed by a Democrat supermajority in 2009 at the direction of the major owner of GM, President Obama? Think that had no impact on the new C7? I would like to hear your evidence, be specific please.
Yes, you're likely correct that CAFE had an impact on the C7.

But...

The government ownership of GM stock and the CAFE regulations are two completely different issues. CAFE is industry-wide. I doubt that it was directed specifically at GM or the C7 for that matter.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:01 PM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Fascinating you think we'll only have one engine forever when GM has clearly been testing the new motor under boost.

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/video-reve...g-twin-turbos/

With the new regulations, boost is EASILY one of the ways to reach the standards with good power.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:02 PM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by CORVETTEZL1001
It seems like there is a lot of negative comments regarding the C7 before its even been unveiled to the public. Some dont like the LT1 and the cylinder deactivation ETC. I personally am looking forward to a revolutionary body style much different than the current C6 with a upgraded interior and better seats. GM has spent a lot of time on this car and it will outperform the C6 at every level. It becomes harder every year for the manufacturers to meet all the Fed standards and Cafe ratings and still have the performance wanted. Certain things like cylinder deactivation are necessary to build these cars.
Having been a member of many online communities over the last 20 years, I can say without question that the Covette Forums are by far the most negative group I've ever encountered. It may simply be the more vocal posters are negatively charged, but it is a rare thing to see a compliment or sincere congratulations for anything other than buying a Corvette. I've been called negative before, but this forum makes me look like an optimist.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:03 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

The only negative aspect of the C7 (and it is major) as far as I am concerned, is that I was told by an individual I know quite well that is with Chevy district in my area is that the 2014 C7 will not offer a dual clutch tranny. I have owned 10 Vettes my last one being a 2010 GS vert. All have been 6 speed manuals, and after test driving cars that have DCT, i decided that, for me, it is the only way to go. This is a technology that Corvette must have in order to get me, and many others, to buy a C7. If Ferrari, McLaren, Porsche, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Nissan, and others can offer DCT, so can and must Chevy.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:25 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vant
Yes, you're likely correct that CAFE had an impact on the C7.

But...

The government ownership of GM stock and the CAFE regulations are two completely different issues. CAFE is industry-wide. I doubt that it was directed specifically at GM or the C7 for that matter.

1. Fact: 26% of GM is owned by the federal government not President Obama. Unless things have changed recently, we are the federal goverment.

2. Fact: GM sold 9 million vehicles worldwide in 2011. Of those 13,164 were Corvettes. That is 0.13% for those math challenged people out there that impact the CAFE score. However, the Corvette is used as a key development & engineering platforms and that benefits other vehicles.

3. Fact: The LT1 is the Corvette base engine with more torque and HP than the outgoing LS3. It introduces direct injection which improves power and MPG. What's wrong with that? The fact it gets BETTER miles per gallon is a bonus, right?

4. Fact: The LS6, LS7 and LS9 engines were introduced years after the LS1 and LS2 engines came out. This is normal development and marketing process. When GM does make a Covette with more HP, I doubt the CAFE rating will have any influence over the design because so few will be sold.

5. Fact: VP Joe Biden owns a 1967 Corvette. So Corvettes and democrates do mix.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:28 PM
Parker Corvette
Pro

Wax Weekly You really hit the nail on the head. Negative is right. Just like being at a Corvette car club meeting only on line. I post on Bimmerpost forum and you don't read crap like this on that forum.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:31 PM
Parker Corvette
Pro

RonnieC6Z Right once again. Notice anything. Every car Ronnie named with a dual clutch transmission is a premium brand foreign car. Except Nissan which I don't consider a premium brand. This is the kind of thing I have been saying for months and is why the new Corvette will be a C6.4.

Get notified of new replies

To Why all the C7 Negativity?

Old 10-30-2012, 02:38 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

I agree on the DCT.

I already put a deposit down on the C7, so that's how strongly I feel about the new C7. Here is my new license plate on my C6 waiting for the C7:

Old 10-30-2012, 02:43 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RussM05
1. Fact: 26% of GM is owned by the federal government not President Obama. Unless things have changed recently, we are the federal goverment.

5. Fact: VP Joe Biden owns a 1967 Corvette. So Corvettes and democrates do mix.
Sorry, but somehow on this "ownership" issue, I don't have any control, influence, input, nor do I get any money from GM, nor did I have any direct say in this "investment" by the government. So I am not the federal government as represented by the Democrats in DC, but Obama and Biden talk about GM and their "investment" all the time so you can see my confusion as to who is really in charge here. And I am surprised Joe has a '67 Corvette, so I guess he and I have one thing in common, but that is not enough for me to confirm that Corvettes and democrates (sic) do mix.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:45 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
How do you know we will only have a base model? That's the only engine(LT1) that GM has released any info on, at this point. Doesn't mean that it will be the ONLY engine available in the C7.
Joe...MikeyJ's overall strategy is to be a sky-is-falling, nattering nabob of negativism.

He fails to see the reality of GM performance in the form of, among others, a new, higher HP, base C7, the Camaro ZL1, the Caddy CTS-V, and all the crate motors GM sells.

He evidently doesn't realize that you can still buy new Z06/ZR1s and that you can buy LS7 and LS9 crate engines.

Quick Reply: Why all the C7 Negativity?