Eight-speed Automatic transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 05:31 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I stand corrected.

So would you use an auto, if they let you?
Old 10-31-2012, 05:40 PM
C4Cowboy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K3Z06
I stand corrected.

Yes
Old 11-01-2012, 01:46 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K3Z06
I stand corrected.

Yes! And I have used an auto in autocrossing...it almost felt like cheating.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:23 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by rcallen484
SCCA Rule 9.3.7:

"9.3.7. AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS AND HAND CONTROLS
Automatic transmissions are prohibited in all classes."

Are you simply mistaken or what?
I never heard of that rule. I checked and its in the bspec manual.

Luckily the hillclimb manuals state differntly p37

"10.35. AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS AND HAND CONTROLS
Allowed for Time Trials."

manuals are fun, but when going flat out give me sequentially operated gearbox (even if it has a torque converter attached to it). Left foot braking and no missed shifts
Old 11-02-2012, 10:22 AM
The Highlander
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hm... the veloster has a DCT.... Interesting...
Old 11-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Caddylac10
Racer

Hello everyone. I'm new here and I wanted to introduce myself.

GM's news 8 speed is an exciting topic and it is a critical advancement in my opinion for many GM products to come, including performance vehicles, trucks and luxury vehicles.

The new 8 speed will first be introduced either with (if everything goes as planned) or shortly after the introduction of the 3rd gen Cadillac CTS and C7.

GM still plans to offer a manual with the C7 for those that want it, but it goes without saying that it simply won't be able to match the performance benefits that an 8 speed will provide.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:55 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Caddylac10

GM's news 8 speed is an exciting topic and it is a critical advancement in my opinion for many GM products to come, including performance vehicles, trucks and luxury vehicles.

The new 8 speed will first be introduced either with (if everything goes as planned) or shortly after the introduction of the 3rd gen Cadillac CTS and C7.

GM still plans to offer a manual with the C7 for those that want it, but it goes without saying that it simply won't be able to match the performance benefits that an 8 speed will provide.
Get ready to get flamed by the manual transmission devotees here
Old 11-04-2012, 11:06 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Caddylac10

Welcome Caddy ! rcallen is sugarcoating what the " welcoming committee " will really have have for you ! Haha.

Let me begin the process by a couple of quick questions: is this new 8 speed a ZF - similar to F type Jag or is it in house GM ? DCT or conventional ? Will the C7 have it available immediately?
Old 11-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Caddylac10
Racer

Originally Posted by John T
Welcome Caddy ! rcallen is sugarcoating what the " welcoming committee " will really have have for you ! Haha.

Let me begin the process by a couple of quick questions: is this new 8 speed a ZF - similar to F type Jag or is it in house GM ? DCT or conventional ? Will the C7 have it available immediately?
Thanks for the welcome!

By the way, I would never debate the engagement or fun aspect of an auto vs manual because that is subjective and in the eyes of the beholder so I won't be waking that baby , however, the new 8 speed will certainly be a huge advancement for the C7.

With that said, there isn't a lot of information on the 8 speed at this point, but there are going to be two kinds of 8 speeds that GM will use. One will be the Aisin 8 speed that will be used for for some applications, but GM is also working on a home grown 8 speed as well for other applications. Which kind will apply to the C7 hasn't been confirmed, but I'm sure the Aisin 8 speed will be used for high torque and performance applications like the C7.

Based on the Aisin's characteristics, which include smooth shifts, low unit weight, and high torque capacity, I think it should be a great auto.

If things go as planned for the C7, and I don't see why they shouldn't considering the tranny is going to be sourced by Aisin, it should arrive at launch.

Last edited by Caddylac10; 11-04-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:03 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to admit that, as a life-long stick-shift lover, it saddens me to see the manual becoming less popular. That said, I'm having to deal with a really bum left knee and having to shift in traffic is getting painfully old. I applaud the move to newer, more dynamic transmissions like DCT for the masses like myself. Maybe by the time I can afford my C7, there will be a really fast, solid, automatic or DCT that will have NO compromises.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:07 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper
Manuals/DCTs experience fluid shear and overheating on the road course too, that's why they make coolers for them. There are bigger coolers made for autos to aleviate any overheating issues. In addition, since a DCT uses hydraulics to apply and release the two clutches, they require a pump just like autos which eats into their efficiency too. If they allowed autos in road racing, they would dominate because of the computer controls...you can't beat the computer. It's the same reason they don't allow ABS or traction control...the computer is doing the job. BTW, autos do dominate on the drag strip so just cruise on by with your manual while the performance guys hash it out with their lowly autos.

I'm not against DCTs, I just have a more open mind. I personally think a DCT could replace the auto and manual in the Corvette so GM only has to deal with one single transmission which would lower costs. It'll make the auto guy happy as well as the manual guy...win-win.
Please tell me you were under the influence of drugs when you typed this part of your post... How in the hell would eliminating the manual transmission option make manual transmission enthusiast happyy?
Old 11-04-2012, 01:27 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Bitching about a lack of manuals because of sequential gearboxes is like bitching about people using lighters to start campfires rather than sticks...
Old 11-04-2012, 01:29 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Originally Posted by el es tu
Bitching about a lack of manuals because of sequential gearboxes is like bitching about people using lighters to start campfires rather than sticks...
Yes because the two are completely similar arguments.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:32 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
Yes because the two are completely similar arguments.
functionality vs vanity - yes they are most definitely involved in the same argument.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:34 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

functionality vs vanity - yes they are most definitely involved in the same argument.
Then why buy a Corvette? The entire market is for vanity sake. Why not just buy a prius or a mini-van? That's a comparable argument at your level.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:43 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Then why buy a Corvette? The entire market is for vanity sake. Why not just buy a prius or a mini-van? That's a comparable argument at your level.
The function of a sports car for me is hauling ***. imo anyone who buys one for any other reason is strengthening the negative stereotypes of those who buy these cars.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:45 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

The function of a sports car for me is hauling ***. imo anyone who buys one for any other reason is strengthening the negative stereotypes of those who buy these cars.

Then why make Convertibles? Why make base models? GM should just make a ZR1 variant only. Why not turn the Corvette into a $150-200k race car only?

You are clueless when it comes to the purpose, market, and history for the Corvette. As well as the purpose for Sports Cars in general.

Get notified of new replies

To Eight-speed Automatic transmission

Old 11-04-2012, 01:51 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Then why make Convertibles? Why make base models? GM should just make a ZR1 variant only. Why not turn the Corvette into a $150-200k race car only?

You are clueless when it comes to the purpose, market, and history for the Corvette. As well as the purpose for Sports Cars in general.
theres a difference between the true purpose of sports cars and the market.

engineering and functionality will always give way to the wants/ needs of those who want to dilute the function of the cars.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:02 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Please tell me you were under the influence of drugs when you typed this part of your post... How in the hell would eliminating the manual transmission option make manual transmission enthusiast happyy?

I don't care about how fast the car goes as long as I have fun driving it. DCTs are for people who want to go fast around a track. Manuals are for people who want to have more control over the car to have fun with.

We all know a DCT can shift faster and more accurately than a human. But when you take the human variable out of the equation, you lose the purpose of having a "fun" car. Might as well just go to an amusement park and ride rollercoasters all day.

I like to control my car and I like to shift. If I ever see the track, it won't be often so I'm sure that driving a stick isn't going to hurt my times much anyway. (Not like my times will really matter at that point.)
Old 11-05-2012, 03:05 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash

I don't care about how fast the car goes as long as I have fun driving it. DCTs are for people who want to go fast around a track. Manuals are for people who want to have more control over the car to have fun with.

We all know a DCT can shift faster and more accurately than a human. But when you take the human variable out of the equation, you lose the purpose of having a "fun" car. Might as well just go to an amusement park and ride rollercoasters all day.

I like to control my car and I like to shift. If I ever see the track, it won't be often so I'm sure that driving a stick isn't going to hurt my times much anyway. (Not like my times will really matter at that point.)

Hence why most of my cars over the past 10 years, have been RWD and manual transmission.

Quick Reply: Eight-speed Automatic transmission