C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If the C7 doesn't impress you what will you buy instead?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 10:51 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2013 Ferrari F12 Berlinetta
Old 10-27-2012, 11:56 PM
TheDirtyWiz
Intermediate

Alternatives would be:
Used C6Z
New/used CTS-V Coupe
SRT 'Cuda if the rumors turn out to be true and it looks good.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:38 AM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Well, seeing that my C6 is paid for, probably nothing for quite a while.

If I got the itch, then maybe the upper end Mustang. I originally was looking to get a Shelby back in 07 as I prefer Ford products, but due to the unavailibility I went with the C6. To be honest, at that time, the C6 was loads better in many many ways to the Shelby.

I don't think that is the case anymore, so the C7 will hopefully not disappoint.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:40 AM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by matthewelle
2013 Ferrari F12 Berlinetta
I will never again buy anything with "Berlinetta" as part of the name after my experience with my '82 Camaro Berlinetta. Ever. That was the last GM car I had up till my '07 Vette.

I'm sure Ferrari does it right, but there is no risk of me looking at any.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:49 AM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
C6 Z or ZR1.

I not interested in the base car, I am really interested to see what the higer performance variant offers. If I like it, I'll wait and buy it used. If I don't like it, it will be a used C6 Z or ZR1.
That is one thing I realize now with Corvettes; save money and buy a used one, as there will be many for sale that are in excellent shape with low miles.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:48 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ferrari FF...tho I will have to sell all my cars, my house, and my wife to afford one. But it would be a perfect all around car!

Old 10-28-2012, 11:06 AM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Ferrari FF...tho I will have to sell all my cars, my house, and my wife to afford one. But it would be a perfect all around car!

And it looks almost as nice as a Z4 M Coupe.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:56 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nitrous Oxide
And it looks almost as nice as a Z4 M Coupe.
Yeah, ok...
Old 10-28-2012, 12:05 PM
z06Bigbird
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CaryKen
If the C7 doesn't impress me, I am going a different direction and buying a Jaguar XF supercharged. Still good performance (not light sports car type, obviously) but it would be a nice change of pace to have the creature comfort luxury and a back seat to take friends out to dinner!

Besides, I have become used to nice high repair bills.
Remember--you will need two jags. One to drive--while the other is in the shop.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:22 AM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

That new tri-turbo Porsche looks interesting
Old 10-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just another Mustang fanboy thread...
I know where you're coming from Ox. Not long ago I really disliked the Mustang. Basically I thought the car was for pimple faced kids or old guys that just wanted to be a kid. The car was not serious about anything other than sales.

But this is a new era Ox. We are all witnessing a HP race between 3 manufacturers or more. The Mustang is catching up quickly, and becoming a serious car in many areas. With the Boss & the 662 HP GT500 they are serious. Some guy on another thread tore me up for simply saying this, and then knocked the easily upgraded brakes of all things while somehow calling his self a car enthusiast.

I'm a huge Vette fan, and most likely will end up in a C7. I just don't think the Corvette team will disappoint. My only hope is the Corvette team is keeping it's eyes open from all angles. It is a mistake for some of the so called car enthusiasts to believe the Corvette has only a few if any competitors. We can clearly see that sales can be nipped at from many other cars including the Mustang. I would hate to see the Corvette lose any sales from being short sighted.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:15 PM
Dudeurgettnavette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will buy a Kia!
Old 10-29-2012, 12:19 PM
smonska
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Audi RS5 only because I can't afford an R8. :-)
Old 10-29-2012, 12:48 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Hmmm Ox , you got my attention . What kind of dollars are you looking to get for the " old lady " ? Would you have to have all cash upfront ? How about a "rent to own" scenario ?
Old 10-29-2012, 01:18 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,838 Likes on 660 Posts

Good Lord, that thing is hideous. I don't know how the same company that makes the beautiful 458 can also put out that atrocity.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:31 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Carver Electrics
I know where you're coming from Ox. Not long ago I really disliked the Mustang. Basically I thought the car was for pimple faced kids or old guys that just wanted to be a kid. The car was not serious about anything other than sales.

But this is a new era Ox. We are all witnessing a HP race between 3 manufacturers or more. The Mustang is catching up quickly, and becoming a serious car in many areas. With the Boss & the 662 HP GT500 they are serious. Some guy on another thread tore me up for simply saying this, and then knocked the easily upgraded brakes of all things while somehow calling his self a car enthusiast.

I'm a huge Vette fan, and most likely will end up in a C7. I just don't think the Corvette team will disappoint. My only hope is the Corvette team is keeping it's eyes open from all angles. It is a mistake for some of the so called car enthusiasts to believe the Corvette has only a few if any competitors. We can clearly see that sales can be nipped at from many other cars including the Mustang. I would hate to see the Corvette lose any sales from being short sighted.
Only reason I said what I said is that I am sick of the Mustang being talked about on the C7 forum. If you want to spend hours yammering on about a car I will never buy, take it to the OTHER CARS forum and talk about it all you want.

ANY car/truck could be a sales competitor for the Corvette. It is all about priorities. If I wanted/needed a different vehicle, a ton of vehicles might be in my ballpark to look at. But if I wanted a great high-po convertible/coupe that I love the looks/performance of, it would be a very small group of cars that I could afford to look at and HP is just one small part of my rationale. Even then, the Mustang ain't gonna be one because I owned enough Fords that I gave up on them because the quality was poor. Add to that I think that Mustangs look like a flying brick, and I rest my case.

The folks at GM/Corvette will not worry about the Mustang unless and until it becomes a lot more Ford GT-like. Then it isn't a Mustang anymore. Until then, the Camaro folks are minding the store very well, thank you very much. They continue to completely own what was more than half of the Mustang market just a few short years ago. Ford must be sh*tt*n' a brick!
Old 10-29-2012, 01:47 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,940 Likes on 1,186 Posts

I'll buy an EForce or Edlebrock SC and Caravaggio seats for my 27k miles C6 and wait for the C8. With a then +/- 600 HP car and great seats I will be more than happy!

That should keep me happy for a while since with 5 other cars to drive including the Volt for around town errands the C6 will last me until the C8 comes out.....

After all, my '67 has kept me happy for 41 years now!

Last edited by tuxnharley; 10-29-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To If the C7 doesn't impress you what will you buy instead?

Old 10-29-2012, 01:51 PM
jonn127
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Boo383
Everyone here is obviously quite interested in what the next vette will be, and we want every detail we can get! If the final product fails to impress you what other cars will you seriously consider buying instead?

Personally I am interested to see what the next gen Miata brings to the table. It should weigh in around 2200 lbs. and with Mazdas new Skyactiv tech average 40mpg.

I also can't ignore the upcoming 2015 lighter weight and IRS Mustang either. If the 2015 Pony car loses enough weight and uses the Boss version of the 5.0 with 444hp it could be close to C7 performance for less money. I never thought I'd consider a Mustang over a Vette, and I hope the C7 continues the Corvette tradition of maximum overall performance per dollar.

Unless you are prepared to drive 55mph on the highway, don't expect to get near the 40mpg. Wife has the 3=hatchback with skyactiv, I don't think we've seen 30 combined mpg yet. Highway trip got about 32-33.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:56 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by John T
Hmmm Ox , you got my attention . What kind of dollars are you looking to get for the " old lady " ? Would you have to have all cash upfront ? How about a "rent to own" scenario ?
Duuuudddddde! You cannot be...uh, where you live?
Old 10-29-2012, 02:06 PM
You_Vette_Your_Ass
Drifting

Originally Posted by Toilets
Lol , I laugh at you people saying you will buy a used Lamborghini. Why? Because a 2004 suddenly became in your price range? Good luck keeping up with the maintenance and I hope for your sake nothing serious breaks. Get real please.

For me, I have a centennial GS readily for road course events. I love it but I want a DCT.
My options in this case, should the c7 not come equiped with a version of this trans, would be a gtr, a gran tourismo mc, or a 911 non turbo. Love the gt mc however I will be giving up performance from what I currently own. But it certainly is a viable option.
I see.

Actually, yeah - used cars get cheaper every year up to a point, then they get more expensive. A 2004 anything hasn't made it to the latter part of that situation though.

Yep, maintenance is a beast in those..

Quick Reply: If the C7 doesn't impress you what will you buy instead?