The New C7 announcement today

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Justasheet
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The New C7 announcement today

Chevy says 2014 Corvette will debut in January

Four-year old son Ethan Toloza looks over a Chevrolet Corvette at Criswell Chevrolet in Ma...

By Paul Lienert, Reuters
Thu Oct 18, 2:02 PM UTC

An all-new 2014 Chevrolet Corvette, the seventh generation of the uniquely American sports car in six decades, will make its debut January 13 on the eve of the North American International Auto Show, General Motors' Chevrolet brand said on Thursday.
Eagerly awaited by auto enthusiasts, the new Corvette - dubbed C7 by the faithful but known to GM and its suppliers by the development code Y1XX - is widely expected to have a radically restyled exterior, a more upscale interior, a lighter chassis, and a more efficient engine and transmission.
There will be a 6-month gap between the 2014 Corvette new C7 and the current C6 version, a Chevrolet spokesman said in an email. GM will stop building the 2013 model in early February, and is due to start producing the 2014 model in volume in July.
The first of the new C7 Corvettes is expected to roll off the line in Bowling Green on June 30 - 60 years to the day that the first 1953 model was produced, according to two suppliers familiar with the automaker's plans but are not authorized to speak on behalf of GM.
The C7's formal unveiling in mid-January also marks the anniversary of the Corvette's debut in January 1953 as a GM Motorama "dream car" concept in New York. Since then, GM has built and sold more than 1.5 million Corvettes, although annual sales have slowed in recent years as higher vehicle prices, rising fuel and insurance costs, and growing competition from Europe and Asia have eroded its once fiercely loyal owner base.
To rekindle interest in the Corvette, especially among younger, affluent buyers who tend to favor imported brands, Chevrolet has completely overhauled the car for the first time since the sixth-generation model was launched in July 2004.
The result, according to chief engineer Tadge Juechter, is "a truly all-new Corvette. There are only two carryover parts from the C6 used in the C7 - the cabin air filter and the rear latch for the removable roof panel."
Chevrolet even has redesigned the Corvette's familiar crossed-flags emblem for the 2014 model.
Other significant upgrades, according to the supplier sources, include a smaller, lighter aluminum V8 engine displacing around 5.5 liters, advanced features such as direction injection, cylinder cutoff and variable valve timing, and a new seven-speed manual transmission for improved fuel economy.
Prices, due to be announced next summer, are expected to range from just under $55,000 for the base model to nearly $120,000 for the top-of-the-line Corvette ZR1.
Chevrolet said dealers will continue to take orders for the current model until December. (Reporting By Paul Lienert in Detroit; Editing by Richard Chang)
(c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Check for restrictions at: http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp

Jeff
Old 10-18-2012, 03:44 PM
RobVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking forward to more news release............
Old 10-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

basically what many have thought for a while now: smaller, lighter V8 with direct injection, emphasis on weight savings overall and improved drivetrain efficiency (gearing?).

The only question remains: will you love it, or hate it?
Old 10-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

I wonder how many models ? the press release above cites "...base model ...to ZR1."
Old 10-18-2012, 03:57 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

The new website for the C7 sent to me by the Corvette Museum C7 Website

Old 10-18-2012, 04:31 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 10-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Johnny vette
Pro

Cylinder Cutoff--------I will Pass On That Option
Old 10-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny vette
You havn't seen it or driven anything, so why are you so negative? I personally always what the latest and greatest. Another system could be engine shutdown when the car is stopped. The only thing I want is the ability to select when I want to have the system active.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:53 PM
Quick Draw
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny vette
My GMC Sierra 1500 has it and so far it is seamless in operation, but I would rather not have it on a Corvette.

Rumors of cam problems with 5.3 litre and Active Fuel Management have me a little concerned as I plan to keep my Sierra beyond the 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. So far it is just that...rumors as I do not personaly know anyone who had problems with their cylinder cutoff 5.3.

Of course my Ford F150 friends think I am driving a ticking time bomb. We shall see.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:05 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What of the C6? Cost? Styling? Kits?

What of the C6? If the C7 is MUCH better and faster the demand will be sky high and dealer gouging will never end. Prepare for a drastic drop in C6 resale values. Time to buy a C6? "After the C7 reveal and the huge price drop."

Cost? "Everyman's Sports Car" is apparently soon to be extinct and while many of us/you will still want this car ( many are called but few are chosen etc ) very few will be able to afford it.

Styling? People over 40...or 50 or something might actually prefer a C6 depending on whether the C7 looks like a video gamer's fantasy or not. If it looks like a cartoon like the Camaro it will be the younger buyers who fuel demand. Older buyers might turn their back on it.

Kits? This will be rich....watching how little time it takes for aftermarket suppliers to step up with new body conversions or parts to make the base C7 look like a spaceship or C7 ZR1. Yup....I can see the posts now...."Here's my new C7 after I did the wide body conversion and added the made up nameplates that describe it as some special edition etc. " Oh yeah it's going to be even more humorous than all the C6 mods.

One thing for certain this is going to be interesting. My general prediction is that a lot of current C6 owners are going to be mighty upset ( especially if they bought recently and paid top dollar) since their cars may be totally outclassed by the C7. Many others will be upset as it becomes clear to them that they will never be able to own a C7 due to the much higher costs. Eat your hearts out everybody. It's just business and the new marketing model of low volume/much higher msrp will cut most people OUT but generate as much or more revenue for the corporation while not impacting the fleet mileage calculation as much as would a high volume/lower msrp business plan.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:18 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6
What of the C6? If the C7 is MUCH better and faster the demand will be sky high and dealer gouging will never end. Prepare for a drastic drop in C6 resale values. Time to buy a C6? "After the C7 reveal and the huge price drop."

Cost? "Everyman's Sports Car" is apparently soon to be extinct and while many of us/you will still want this car ( many are called but few are chosen etc ) very few will be able to afford it.

Styling? People over 40...or 50 or something might actually prefer a C6 depending on whether the C7 looks like a video gamer's fantasy or not. If it looks like a cartoon like the Camaro it will be the younger buyers who fuel demand. Older buyers might turn their back on it.

Kits? This will be rich....watching how little time it takes for aftermarket suppliers to step up with new body conversions or parts to make the base C7 look like a spaceship or C7 ZR1. Yup....I can see the posts now...."Here's my new C7 after I did the wide body conversion and added the made up nameplates that describe it as some special edition etc. " Oh yeah it's going to be even more humorous than all the C6 mods.

One thing for certain this is going to be interesting. My general prediction is that a lot of current C6 owners are going to be mighty upset ( especially if they bought recently and paid top dollar) since their cars may be totally outclassed by the C7. Many others will be upset as it becomes clear to them that they will never be able to own a C7 due to the much higher costs. Eat your hearts out everybody. It's just business and the new marketing model of low volume/much higher msrp will cut most people OUT but generate as much or more revenue for the corporation while not impacting the fleet mileage calculation as much as would a high volume/lower msrp business plan.
What of the C6? It has had a great run...there are a lot of them out there to be had for those who would rather.

'Everyman' has never been able to afford a Corvette, especially when they were younger. The mid-to-upper-middle class and up.

LOTS of folks love and have bought the Camaro, both young and old.

I agree on the body conversions...it is inevitable and has happened to most of the recent generations but the C6 for sure.

I EXPECT the C7 to outclass the C6. I will be VERY disappointed if it doesn't. That doesn't mean I have to be upset by it. It is just business, the passage of time, advancements in tech.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:19 PM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OregonC6

Woah! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

Seriously, where'd all that come from? You think base pricing going from just under $50K to just under $55K is going to price everyone out? That's a pretty typical generational price jump. And most cars lose value once the next gen comes out. It's a risk you should know you're taking when you buy a late-cycle car. And I don't even know where you got most of the rest of that from... .

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 10-18-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:25 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

i forgot what i was going to say
Old 10-18-2012, 07:09 PM
ryoder
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

I think cylinder deactivation is great on the highway at 50+mph and direct injection is always good. Variable valve control, thats awesome. Lighter frame? Sweet.
The only thing that bugs me is smaller displacement.
I don't think they should drop below 6 liters.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:25 PM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Justasheet
The first of the new C7 Corvettes is expected to roll off the line in Bowling Green on June 30 - 60 years to the day that the first 1953 model was produced, according to two suppliers familiar with the automaker's plans but are not authorized to speak on behalf of GM.
Okay, I just have to give myself a little pat on the back for predicting this one last June (even if I did get my decades wrong)!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...rom-today.html

Yay, me!
Old 10-18-2012, 07:45 PM
Nuieve
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$55 is awefully close to the new upcoming Cayman S and Jaguar F-type which won't beat its acceleration, but will beat it in every other subjective cathegory (aesthetics, prestige, desirability etc). And then there are MB C63 AMG, M3, CTS-V, RS5 lurking around still... The Corvette better be REAL good if it wants to directly compete with those...
Old 10-18-2012, 07:50 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by z edge
i forgot what i was going to say
You cracked me up.

Get notified of new replies

To The New C7 announcement today

Old 10-18-2012, 07:57 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Looking forward to it. Thanks for posting good info
Old 10-18-2012, 08:15 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,073 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

My deposit is burning a hole in my pocket, what dealer will take it now.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:29 PM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Like said in another post. If wanted one of things, would give
thought to a heritage 427. 7 going to be restyled with
more of a look that see from other manufacturers. Yes from the
spy photos can tell enough.

A big cubic inch motor will still look better than a small techie once
the C7 wears off in a few months

Quick Reply: The New C7 announcement today