Sponsored by:

2015 Mustang: C7 Competition??

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 09:55 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts
Default 2015 Mustang: C7 Competition??

Could the next generation GT500 or Boss 302 finally take some customers away from corvette? Take a look at these concept drawings from the latest issue of Car and Driver. Supposedly these drawing are really close to the actual stying direction of the nextgeneration mustang. If it actually looks like these pictures, I believe we could see some would-be corvette customers cross over into the dark side and become a next generation GT500 or Boss 302 owner.

I can't believe I am saying this, but I might be one of them. This is the rear styling direction the C7 SHOULD have taken.

Since before the first concept photos of the C7 surfaced, I've said that Corvette should take on an Aston Martin-like rear end design....they didn't but it looks like Ford did.

Before you say I am crazy, look at these mustang photos carefully, then look at the CAD C7 rear that keeks provided. The C7 Rear looks amateurish in compaison IMO.

Last edited by Paulchristian; 10-07-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:29 AM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

And alot of Mustang freaks wont like this new look and might go else where too. That thing on the side is ugly and makes to car look like its for the Too Fast and Too Furious. Take it off and the side look like the 370Z somewhat. Looks like they took something form three different cars and put it together. Not Mustang looking, thats for sure.

Last edited by S'vette; 10-07-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:37 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Jaguar/Aston Martin looking thing.Not bad at all.Only time will tell if they build it and then what it can do.That will determine who buys what.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:41 AM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

Looks like the FR-S/BRZ. With 700hp and IRS, I'd drive it.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:42 AM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by S'vette
And alot of Mustang freaks wont like this new look and might go else where too. That thing on the side is ugly and makes to car look like its for the Too Fast and Too Furious. Take it off and the side look like the 370Z somewhat. Looks like they took something form three different cars and put it together. Not Mustang looking, thats for sure.

First thought was 370Z. IMHO, many Mustang guys are not going to like this.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:47 AM
gotz06?
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

And the Taurus front
Old 10-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Yes, I agree. Alot of traditional Mustang lovers will be turned off. However, I've never liked Mustangs, but for the first time, I would consider buying a Mustang if they made this and put 650hp in it with an improved suspension. If they can improve the suspension, we may be looking at a Mustang that can finally go toe-to-toe with the higher performance vettes.

Other than the quarter window, the rear looks nothing like a 370 Z. The 370 is bunched up together in the rear. This rear design flows like a Aston.

Last edited by Paulchristian; 10-07-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:10 PM
got2bblu
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 95 Posts

Enjoy your new Mustang. I will be driving a C7. The C7 will be the best one yet.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:11 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
Yes, I agree. Alot of traditional Mustang lovers will be turned off. However, I've never liked Mustangs, but for the first time, I would consider buying a Mustang if they made this and put 650hp in it with an improved suspension. If they can improve the suspension, we may be looking at a Mustang that can finally go toe-to-toe with the higher performance vettes.

Other than the quarter window, the rear looks nothing like a 370 Z. The 370 is bunched up together in the rear. This rear design flows like a Aston.
I bought the vette cuz it was pretty much the bang for the buck for power and some style. When I buy my next car it wll be which ever is the fastest that I can afford. I like new with power already there so I only have do bolt ons if I want and has the style I like too but power first, style second. If its that stang then it will be but I would debadge it. Yea the back doesnt look 370Z but the side does and there is nothing wrong with the 370Z. Thats what I had before the vette and I love the body of the 370Z but its not a mustang body. Its great for the nissan legacy. The performance and keeping up with each other is a continous rotational thing, every year there is someone who catches someone else untill they reviel there new car and then it all starts over again. Certain cars will always be on top and then not on top and then back on top, its just a cycle.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by m48xhp
Looks like the FR-S/BRZ. With 700hp and IRS, I'd drive it.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:24 PM
CMCvette
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There will be some cross-shoppers if they go "Astonesque" with the mustang, tho they'll still have more of an "everyone's" car underpinning any elite versions, while the Vette will remain its own unique iconic flagship for its maker. Others are right, too, tho, that the next Stang will need to have some resemblance to its predecessors or risk all those folks moving to the next-gen Camaro!
Old 10-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by got2bblu
Enjoy your new Mustang. I will be driving a C7. The C7 will be the best one yet.
I hope you are right. That rear CAD drawing is not growing on me. It gets worse for me every time I look at it. I am trying hard to like it but it is just not right...Hopefully, the CAD drawing is not accurate.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:33 PM
Joni Lynn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's nice but looks a bit like lots of other cars in some of the styling cues. Somewhat Honda Accord looking too. I feel certain if they build it they will sell a lot of them.
I'd still go with a Corvette.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CMCvette
There will be some cross-shoppers if they go "Astonesque" with the mustang, tho they'll still have more of an "everyone's" car underpinning any elite versions, while the Vette will remain its own unique iconic flagship for its maker. Others are right, too, tho, that the next Stang will need to have some resemblance to its predecessors or risk all those folks moving to the next-gen Camaro!
I total agree with you when you say the Mustang is sort of tagged an "everyone's" car. I just think that if they can further evolve the GT500 or Boss and improve the suspension to make their performance version more successful on the track, they could get away from that stigma. I think the next generation GT500/Boss will be a competitive track Monster unlike anything we have seen Mustang pull off thus far.

Additionally, I don't think it will be Mustang folks flocking to the Camaro but rather Camaro folks crossing over to Mustang. At least until the next gen Camaro is introduced.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:43 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Alrighty then...
Old 10-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Considering how Corvette has kept its loyal fans no matter the differences moving from the C1 model onto the C2 model with another complete change going into the C-3 model that resembled nothing that appeared in even the C-4 or C-5 or C6 models, why does Mustang have to always maintain a retrospect look in order to keep its customers?

I too am a loyal Corvette man and have been for several generations, but I think some people here are being a little over the top with what is needed for another car to keep its loyal customers!

Personally, I like that concept mustang drawing and if anything like it shows up with an IRS suspension motivated by 650 hp, I would love to have one in my garage.

(Even if it has to play 2nd fiddle to an even nicer vette)
Old 10-07-2012, 12:48 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,837 Likes on 660 Posts

I can't believe I'm gonna say this, but that looks a helluva lot better than what I've seen from the C7 renderings so far. I'm still holding out hope the C7 will look better in person than it does in pics, but that Mustang concept certainly intrigues me.....and I HATE Ford!!!

Get notified of new replies

To 2015 Mustang: C7 Competition??

Old 10-07-2012, 12:56 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

I have seen some beautiful Ford creations over the years but if that is the new Mustang look it does nothing for me. My first thought was a 1998 Buick Riveria had a one night stand with a Japanese boy racer and this was the resulting offspring. Different tastes for different people obviously...
Old 10-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BMadden
I can't believe I'm gonna say this, but that looks a helluva lot better than what I've seen from the C7 renderings so far. I'm still holding out hope the C7 will look better in person than it does in pics, but that Mustang concept certainly intrigues me.....and I HATE Ford!!!
BMadden, that is why I posted this Thread....

I hate Mustang (with a capital "H") but for the first time, I too am intrigued by this design. I can feel where you are coming from. I can def see myself buying one of these, in GT500/Boss form, if it delivers 650hp and an improved suspension at a price point significantly cheaper than the next generation ZO6.

If Ford improved the suspension and track capabilities of the next gen Mustang, couple this with the HP numbers they are currently putting out, the ZO6 will have some real (and cheaper) comp nipping at its heels. GM better up their game...quick. This day is coming...
Old 10-07-2012, 01:04 PM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

I really like the styling and believe Ford will do well with this design (if it is not modified to a lesser form).
It seems the key to me would be some kind of a hybrid (dual fuel, diesel/electric, etc.). With the desire for performance and the rising cost of fuel, innovation seems a must (imo).
Good looking car and well managed company.

Last edited by 65 fi; 10-07-2012 at 03:59 PM.

Quick Reply: 2015 Mustang: C7 Competition??