C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

only a select few dealership will sell the Viper...hope GM does the same with the C7!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 05:21 PM
sootytom
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carver Electrics
You may be right. But I have seen just as many old guys if not more in Porsche cars along with other very expensive vehicles. Needless to say the Corvette outsells the Porsche, and odds are you will see more old guys in them because of the sheer numbers of Corvettes on the roads.

As for performance, the tracks I have been to around the country I have found a lot of Corvettes with a wide variety of ages behind the wheel of one.

In part the demographics of Corvette owners is also due in part to life itself. Often when people get older the kids leave the house so there is no need for a mini van anymore, people often have more disposable income, and some guys just want to reward themselves.

One other thing. Don't always assume that girl in the passenger seat is the guy's wife.

BTW..Hold on to that Lotus Exgie 2006. Awesome car. And any car in which only 300 or so are made is what I call a keeper.

What color is your Lotus?
Hey thanks for the thumbs up...My Lotus is Chili Red.

>>One other thing. Don't always assume that girl in the passenger seat is the guy's wife.<<

LOL, yea, you got me there. Could be his sister right?
Old 10-18-2012, 05:38 PM
Quick Draw
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shawnvettefan
Ignorant comment! JMHO
I agree. Your comment is ignorant and ignores your own statements.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:46 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

interesting. So if your local dealer doesn't qualify, where and how are you supposed to get your warranty work (that you may need)? drive hundreds of miles to get it there or have it shipped to a qualified dealer? ...hmm I don't see this as a win for the customer.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:51 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mirage2991
interesting. So if your local dealer doesn't qualify, where and how are you supposed to get your warranty work (that you may need)? drive hundreds of miles to get it there or have it shipped to a qualified dealer? ...hmm I don't see this as a win for the customer.
Good points.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:53 PM
zr-1 guy
Pro

what if your local dealer hasn't sold a vette in the last 10 years and has no one qualified to work on them?
Old 10-18-2012, 05:57 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Originally Posted by zr-1 guy
what if your local dealer hasn't sold a vette in the last 10 years and has no one qualified to work on them?
You may want to check that out before you buy it there.

If you moved then you may have to travel. Nothing is perfect. But to make things worse is just stupid.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:03 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Carver Electrics
.... Since we are the same person (see the Official: c7 will have removable top! thread). We are going to have to start to disagree with each other on a few occasions.

Jim, I had not seen shawnvettefan's brilliant statement.

As you stated, we have disagreed on some issues, as have Babe and I, and a few others. Perfectly fine to disagree.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:36 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Does not matter, they still can work on the car. where for the viper, I'm not so sure...even if you choose to have it serviced by a none approved dealer.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:12 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Does not matter, they still can work on the car. where for the viper, I'm not so sure...even if you choose to have it serviced by a none approved dealer.
This is a point that the "exclusive" guys forget about. The Corvette can be serviced by any Chevrolet dealer, 3,100 of them across the US, when needed.This is very comforting, anywhere I travel in our country.

The converse is the major reason I have stayed away from some more esoteric cars. I live in Chicagoland, and have a local Lotus dealer, two Ferrari dealers, a Lamborghini dealer and two or three Porsche dealers in close proximity. However, drive one any distance out of this metropolitan area, have an issue, and the story changes dramatically.

Give or take one or two, there are:
- 206 Porsche dealers across the US.
- 41 Lotus dealers across the US.
- 34 Ferrari dealers across the US.
- 30 Lamborghini dealers across the US.

Not too comforting if you venture out of your back yard.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:26 PM
zr-1 guy
Pro

Originally Posted by jackhall99
This is a point that the "exclusive" guys forget about. The Corvette can be serviced by any Chevrolet dealer, 3,100 of them across the US, when needed.This is very comforting, anywhere I travel in our country.

The converse is the major reason I have stayed away from some more esoteric cars. I live in Chicagoland, and have a local Lotus dealer, two Ferrari dealers, a Lamborghini dealer and two or three Porsche dealers in close proximity. However, drive one any distance out of this metropolitan area, have an issue, and the story changes dramatically.

Give or take one or two, there are:
- 206 Porsche dealers across the US.
- 41 Lotus dealers across the US.
- 34 Ferrari dealers across the US.
- 30 Lamborghini dealers across the US.

Not too comforting if you venture out of your back yard.
friend of mine took her z06 to a chevy dealer while she was out traveling, they had no idea how to lift the car, they told her that since her car was lowered they wouldn't work on it....her z06 is stock. they said the exhaust was modified and they wouldn't work on it...again her z06 is stock. tell me again about how any dealer can work on these cars.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:50 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

friend of mine took her z06 to a chevy dealer while she was out traveling, they had no idea how to lift the car, they told her that since her car was lowered they wouldn't work on it....her z06 is stock. they said the exhaust was modified and they wouldn't work on it...again her z06 is stock. tell me again about how any dealer can work on these cars.
So because of a friend of your's experience, all dealerships are like that. Got it.

Please quit trolling us.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:09 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Then she should have driven 20 miles out to another one.... But again, there's Chevy dealers that sale vette that still are clueless... So nothing is guaranteed
Old 10-19-2012, 09:31 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
So because of a friend of your's experience, all dealerships are like that. Got it.

Please quit trolling us.
Thanks. My point sailed right over his head.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:35 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Then she should have driven 20 miles out to another one....
Heck, I have seven Chevrolet dealers within 10 miles of my home.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:38 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks. My point sailed right over his head.

It doesn't take much for points to sail over most people.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:03 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Heck, I have seven Chevrolet dealers within 10 miles of my home.
You know what that tells me Jack is that Chevrolet's biggest competitor in Chicago is Chevrolet .That is never a good thing.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:11 AM
fasthwks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by shawnvettefan
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...-ar135435.html

Good move on their part, especially the $5K in special training. This is showing they know they have a high-line car and want only select dealers handling their flagship.

This way only a small % of dealers are allowed to sell the car and this makes sure they are well prepared for proper Customer service before and after the car is sold.
Just to clarify the fee the Chrysler dealer is charged, it is $20k to sell Viper AND an additional $5k to sell SRT products(300, Charger etc)
This does include all training but trust me there is not 20k worth. It will increase the price point that Vipers are sold at but they are also promoting the sales and service to rival that of high end cars. The new Viper is a remarkable car but you would expect that for the price point. You will still be able to do a SRT Viper(not GTS) at right around 100k without all the luxury items so it can still be a great comparison to the Corvette.

Get notified of new replies

To only a select few dealership will sell the Viper...hope GM does the same with the C7!

Old 10-20-2012, 10:40 AM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by John T
You know what that tells me Jack is that Chevrolet's biggest competitor in Chicago is Chevrolet .That is never a good thing.

Gee John, get out of the town you live in, nestled 20 miles from Frederick, MD (66,000 population) and 30 miles from the city of Baltimore, MD (620,000 population) and visit our area to get a sense of what population density is!

Then think again about your post.

There are probably more people living within the 10 mile radius I mention than in a 20 mile radius of where you live. I guess some of the twelve dealers supporting less population where you live is a worse situation.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:52 AM
zr-1 guy
Pro

Originally Posted by JustinStrife

Please quit trolling us.
yeah i've never read, heard, or had a bad review at a dealer outside of the one I posted. must be a one off. I'm sure there isn't a post in the c6 zr1 forum about a gm dealer dicking around a guy who's been having trany trouble... oh wait there is http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...nsmission.html
Old 10-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I see many Corvette owners love their local dealer ALOT!! My only gripe is one that is a lost cause........I WANT EXCLUSIVITY and GM not to make 4 models that practically look exactly the same.

To this day you see a Porsche Turbo or Viper it's still a rarity in most of the country. Vettes are so mass produced they are everywhere! I know that will never change because it is a iconic car like a mustang, camaro, they will always try to sell as many as possible.

I still enjoy the pink unicorn that other car manufacturers provide GTR, Viper, Porsche, obviously the stereotypical exotics.

Quick Reply: only a select few dealership will sell the Viper...hope GM does the same with the C7!