Sponsored by:

Latest photos are up... Can see the seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 01:50 PM
TheDirtyWiz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LancePearson
I'd argue with you in most cases but it's not only marketing or attention cache like all mirror finish supercars but speed and performance as well which the Z06 and ZR1 do have. They just aren't as "exotic" having perfected existing engine technology in an evolutionary way for a long time now. Been a while since they excited non Corvette fans.
I'm not sure how any of that refutes what I posted or supports what I quoted you saying in my initial post. I'm willing to bet rich people and celebrities don't care about technology for the most part unless it's related to infotainment. Let me rephrase that: they likely don't care about technology they can't see or touch. But let's be honest. If a new model of Ferrari came out and it had less technological goodies, was more raw, you can bet the rich and famous would still buy it simply because it was a Ferrari and Ferraris are not for everyone.

Cars like the Ferrari (owned by Fiat, I believe, for a long time) 458 with a 4.5 l, 270 c.i. 500+ hp car that can do 202 mph and have style and function have captured more imagination than Vette...and I love vettes...but you have to pay about 2.5 to 3.0 times as much for the Ferrari.
Which is a big reason why rich people and celebrities buy them I bet. Limited to only those who have the big financial means.

sort of like watches...Timex, Omega, etc. watches all tell time but there are some watches which sell for $10,000 and tell the same time. Why? Style, imagination and decent performance as well nowadays.
Styling is subjective. I think the new Lambo Aventandor or whatever it's called looks like ***. Aston Martin DBS FTW.

Let's put it this way: if you had two nearly identical looking watches, both similar performance and one was a Timex and one was a Rolex, which one do you think the rich person or celebrity would choose? The Rolex. Why? Because the fact it's a Rolex says something about them, that they are in a certain class or league. It separates them from the masses.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:15 PM
TheDirtyWiz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zland
I agree 100%. If they raised the price of a C7 to lets say $300,000 certain celebs & rich people would than buy it.

I think the entire exclusive thing is silly. Lets face it, there are 2 things that make a car exculsive; #1, price & #2 it is so undesirable no one buys it.

The Corvette presents what has always made America great; opportunities for the masses. I love that a C6 matches much more expensive cars.

I am not wealthy & unless I had millions, would never consider buying an exotic. Most MB, BMW's etc are leased which shows most of those people doing it, cannot afford to buy the car & the wiser choice would be not to have it. To be truthful, even if I had millions, I hope I would spend my extra wealth on helping others improve their lives & not on a carbon fiber, high reving, undependable exotic sports car. I enjoy performance but my life is not defined by a .3 better 0-60 or laterial G. Enjoying an affordable, well handling & attractive sports car is enough for me. How many of us make a living off a lap time? To be blunt, how many have ever driven a lap to know their time?

However, I win the lottery and the first purchase will be an Aston Martin Then a ZR-1/Z06.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:23 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default aston martin db 9

Originally Posted by TheDirtyWiz

However, I win the lottery and the first purchase will be an Aston Martin Then a ZR-1/Z06.
I was lucky enough to take my 76 on a road track for four 25 minute sessions with a group of other first time drivers and one was owner of an Aston Martin DB9 which he said was supercharged with 585 hp...and, boy, could he fly.

I also saw a couple of C6 ZO6's at the track in their class that day when they were out there and they were superb, as were a couple others including some Porsches and Vipers. The difference was probably how good the drivers were on a course of 3.27 miles with 17 turns and two kinks.

From a speed and performance point of view at a price point I'd think the 505 hp ZO6 would be a heckuva bargain.......I personally can't imagine handling a ZR1 and keeping it on the road. Way more than my reflexes and skills could handle I suspect.

Lance P.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:31 PM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Default a prayer....

oh God, (if there is one)), please don't let C7 look like a Camaro .......
Old 10-17-2012, 09:04 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,831 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtyWiz

I think the new Lambo Aventandor or whatever it's called looks like ***.
Sorry, but I stopped taking you seriously after reading that statement.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:06 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by BMadden
Sorry, but I stopped taking you seriously after reading that statement.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:12 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tayman1975
K guys i know the specs on the c7. Listen your gonna love this. The base c7 will have a DOHC 6.2ltr producing 530hp. Weight will be 3190lbs. It will have an optional rear back seats. Also will do 0 to 60 in 3.3 sec for the manual tranny and 0to 60 with the Dual Clutch auto in 3.0 sec. It will be a 7 speed. No more 427 ever so your c6z06 will be a collector car in the future. Also no more grand sport. All c7s will have a wide body kit on them. They are bringing back the Stingray model too. Now this is where it gets good. The new ZR1 will have a 0 to 60 in 2.7 seconds making it the second fasteset car besides the bugatti veyron. It will be powered by a 6.2ltr tt turbo producing 730hp. Weight comes in at 2990lbs. The Zr1 will have no backseat option period. The car will resemble a ferrari 599 but more agressive. So lets hear the replies.
And then you woke up....
Old 10-17-2012, 09:18 PM
Just Cruise
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here you go: got from a corvette insider

Base C7 Coupe/Convertible: 6.2L DOHC, VVT, V8 530hp, choice of 7-speed manual or DCT transmission. Weight is 3185 pounds. 0-60 in 3.3 sec (7 speed) and 3.0 sec (DCT) Interior quality will be that of a Cadillac CTS-V with a traditional dual cockpit design with (take a deep breath) a 2+2 configuration. Yes, the base C7 will have small back seats (similar to Porsche). However, take a deep breath, there is a factory delete option for those of you who do not want the rear seats. Resulting from extensive market research was the fact that most young professionals do not buy corvettes, not because they don't appeal to them, but because they are not viewed as family friendly (i.e. can only accommodate two people). Therefore, the intention for the 2+2 design was to appeal to a larger demographic (i.e. young professionals with children) Seats are Recaro (similar to the ones used on the Nissan GTR). Jalopnik is accurate (minus all the visual functional vents) but proportions/overall looks are off in the illustrations. That being said, the Camaro comparisons will stop when the car is seen in person. When you see it in person, you will think you are looking at a Ferrari (think Ferrari 599 but more aggressive) Approx $60-70k price depending on options you choose. This base C7 has outperformed the C6 ZO6 at the Milford Proving ground track (with full camo on it!!). I was there and I was shocked at how easily it handled the C6 Z06. Finally, and this should make you traditionalists happy, the base C7 model will reintroduce the "Stingray" nameplate. Yes, the base Corvette will be call "Stingray" (all one word like the C3 Corvette generation not "Sting Ray." The standard Corvette cross-flags will be used (the transformers emblems will not be used). This Corvette, from a technology and design standpoint, will appeal to young professionals. The Stingray name is being used to reintroduce the legendary corvette brand to a new generation of enthusiasts.

Grand Sport (aka widebody Corvette): Will not be produced. The C7 generation will not have a wide-body variation. There will only be one body.

Corvette Z06: This will shock most people, but the ZO6 nameplate will not be used for the C7 or C8 generation. Keep your C6 427 Z06/427 Convertibles!!! C6 427s are expected to become collectors items. No more 427s…ever. No more naturally aspirated pushrod motors for GM.

Corvette ZR1: 6.2L Twin Turbo V8. 730hp. Available with 7-speed transmission or a re-geared DCT transmission. 0-60 in 2.9 sec (7-speed) and 2.7 sec (DCT). Will not be a wide-body but will have more aggressive styling to include what you are seeing on the Jalopnik renderings. Interior is similar to base model C7 with lighter seats, door panels, and more use of carbon fiber. All ZR1s will be two seaters (no rear seats on the ZR1). The car weights 2989 pounds! How? Through the use of carbon fiber roof (which is painted this time)/fenders/hood/rear hatch/and even doors! There is extensive use of aluminum, nano steel components, lexan rear window like Porsche GT2/3 rs. Floorboards are nano steel vice carbon and balsa wood. Overall engine and transmission weight is down 75 pounds (50 pounds with DCT). Initial tests (in full camo) suggest it is the 2nd fastest production car EVER tested behind only the Bugatti Veyron. Price: 120k-140k depending on options.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:20 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by tayman1975
K guys i know the specs on the c7. Listen your gonna love this. The base c7 will have a DOHC 6.2ltr producing 530hp. Weight will be 3190lbs. It will have an optional rear back seats. Also will do 0 to 60 in 3.3 sec for the manual tranny and 0to 60 with the Dual Clutch auto in 3.0 sec. It will be a 7 speed. No more 427 ever so your c6z06 will be a collector car in the future. Also no more grand sport. All c7s will have a wide body kit on them. They are bringing back the Stingray model too. Now this is where it gets good. The new ZR1 will have a 0 to 60 in 2.7 seconds making it the second fasteset car besides the bugatti veyron. It will be powered by a 6.2ltr tt turbo producing 730hp. Weight comes in at 2990lbs. The Zr1 will have no backseat option period. The car will resemble a ferrari 599 but more agressive. So lets hear the replies.
tayman1975, The forum has seen this paragraph before. They did not believe it then and they don't believe it now.
Where does this info come from? Does it have a basis of legitimacy ?
Old 10-17-2012, 09:23 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

There will not be a DOHC engine in the C7.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:48 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Is this info true? If so it is very exciting.

Back seats are huge to me. HUGE.

So never a Z06? So is the base model going to contain all the cool stuff? Dry sump, titanium rods, etc? Really all I care about is those faster lap times.

If all of the above is true I'd order a new Vette next year.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:54 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD

So never a Z06? So is the base model going to contain all the cool stuff? Dry sump, titanium rods, etc? Really all I care about is those faster lap times.

I will be very happy if they are small back seats but don't get your hopes up.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:24 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD

Not going to happen with the C7 hate to burst your bubble. No DOHC, no DCT at least right away, no back-seats, no 530hp for the base model(at least for the first set of years), etc...
Old 10-17-2012, 10:45 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
Not going to happen with the C7 hate to burst your bubble. No DOHC, no DCT at least right away, no back-seats, no 530hp for the base model(at least for the first set of years), etc...
I am never one to look for an argument Justin and you are probably correct about what you just said but you are getting my attention because you come across as if you know "for sure ". Do you?
Old 10-17-2012, 10:50 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Originally Posted by John T
I am never one to look for an argument Justin and you are probably correct about what you just said but you are getting my attention because you come across as if you know "for sure ". Do you?
You are not going to fit a DOHC V8 engine in that engine bay. Have you seen how large the modular motors are in comparison to an LS series motor? They also weigh about 40 lbs more(which goes against GM trying to drop the weight down), and have not proven to get better fuel mileage than our pushrod v8s. They are also more expensive and more complex to make.

Also, there has never been a 2+2 Corvette in production. There was one concept about 50 years ago, but never a production car.

Also, over the last several generations, the incoming base models have not had as much hp as the previous generation's top model. With CAFE rules coming out in 3 years, GM has to pay attention to fuel mileage. The C6 already gets less mpg than the C5 with the larger displacement engines...

That doesn't mean that a refresher won't bump up displacement and horsepower mid-way through the C7 cycle, like what happened with the C6. But for the first year? Not happening...
Old 10-17-2012, 10:52 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
You are not going to fit a DOHC V8 engine in that engine bay. Have you seen how large the modular motors are in comparison to an LS series motor? They also weigh about 40 lbs more(which goes against GM trying to drop the weight down), and have not proven to get better fuel mileage than our pushrod v8s. They are also more expensive and more complex to make.

Also, there has never been a 2+2 Corvette in production. There was one concept about 50 years ago, but never a production car.

Also, over the last several generations, the incoming base models have not had as much hp as the previous generation's top model. With CAFE rules coming out in 3 years, GM has to pay attention to fuel mileage. The C6 already gets less mpg than the C5 with the larger displacement engines...

That doesn't mean that a refresher won't bump up displacement and horsepower mid-way through the C7 cycle, like what happened with the C6. But for the first year? Not happening...
Like I said earlier, you are probably right.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:56 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Also Justin, you make a damn good argument .
Old 10-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Zed_six
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When the C4 first came out...radically different from the C3, I recall Johnny Carson (RIP) buying a white one.

Here's another indicator that they aren't resonating: when was the last time you saw or heard of really rich people or celebrities lusting after and buying Corvettes for their fast cars? Most I see are now buying anything but. Probably a few but none that I've seen written about. They just aren't resonating outside this community who are predisposed to like them despite their doing pretty well in Grand Am GT and Daytona Prototype racing this year.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:58 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
It may not be a direct copy but it is still ugly. Hopefully the full reveal will make it better!
Well, being reused and being ugly are two completely different things.

And ugly is definitely subjective to the lines and flow of the interior and of course opinion.

Personally, I like the look of that wheel.

Quick Reply: Latest photos are up... Can see the seats