Sponsored by:

Latest photos are up... Can see the seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 06:44 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by LancePearson
Here's another indicator that they aren't resonating: when was the last time you saw or heard of really rich people or celebrities lusting after and buying Corvettes for their fast cars? Most I see are now buying anything but. Probably a few but none that I've seen written about. They just aren't resonating outside this community who are predisposed to like them despite their doing pretty well in Grand Am GT and Daytona Prototype racing this year.
This is where an all carbon fiber, 680 HP 2,800 lb., $175,00 model would come in handy. They would only have to build 25 cars .
Old 10-07-2012, 06:47 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

John t...yep. Ferrari is building a supercar to compete with Bugatti, et al, and plans to build only 300 but they will sell for $1,000,000 per car...1,000 horsepower v12 I believe...they call it as a working model the F70 I think. Showcase investments mostly I think. Can you imagine the radiators that would need to handle the heat of that much energy much less the fuel economy? The Bugatti Veyron with it's v 16 had that hp and ten radiators on board and at full throttle if you could run it at 253 mph it is empty in twelve minutes.

My TBSS 2008 with an LS2 2008 in it has five radiators in it....
Old 10-07-2012, 07:02 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

John t...yep. Ferrari is building a supercar to compete with Bugatti, et al, and plans to build only 300 but they will sell for $1,000,000 per car...1,000 horsepower v12 I believe...they call it as a working model the F70 I think. Showcase investments mostly I think. Can you imagine the radiators that would need to handle the heat of that much energy much less the fuel economy? The Bugatti Veyron with it's v 16 had that hp and ten radiators on board and at full throttle if you could run it at 253 mph it is empty in twelve minutes.

My TBSS 2008 with an LS2 2008 in it has five radiators in it....
The Veyron is such a tightly packed overweight (4,000 lb.) beast !. My six old boy is always asking about favorite cars etc. and I tell him I still love the simplistic and light McLaren F1 !
Old 10-07-2012, 07:13 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

the F1 is an amazing vehicle...you are right to love it. I don't know them all but if you watch Britain's Top Gear they try many of the new high powered cars and there is a raft of them which are specialty top end, high horsepower cars that all fly...Zonda, various others but I can't keep them all straight. I worked for an aluminum company and we sponsered one of the Mclaren type race teams in open wheel racing and one year they brought the car into the corporate office lobby and you could see it. Tightly packed, low, surrounded by fuel cells and very, very fast. Hulme/Mclaren or some such thing. Can't remember the name but pushing the envelope....
Old 10-08-2012, 01:17 PM
krazyKanuck
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My wife has the same steering wheel in her Cruze Long live the parts bin!!
Old 10-08-2012, 11:43 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by krazyKanuck
My wife has the same steering wheel in her Cruze Long live the parts bin!!
That's amazing! I had no idea she had a Chevy Cruze specially made with a digital dash like CUE. Tell us more about it!
Old 10-09-2012, 12:06 AM
GorghieC
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really looks great..
Old 10-16-2012, 03:38 PM
krazyKanuck
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
That's amazing! I had no idea she had a Chevy Cruze specially made with a digital dash like CUE. Tell us more about it!
It's basically the same steering wheel. It's a test mule why WOULDN'T it have a parts bin wheel? Same buttons to control the radio, same button for cruise, same 'smart stalk' same wiper stalk. And what does a digital dash have to do with a steering wheel?
Old 10-16-2012, 06:33 PM
ZeekDuff
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Shoulder "wings" are for support. The holes are there for a customer that ends up adding harnesses. Many HPDE groups won't let you run a harness unless the seat has provisions for them to pass through. GM engineers attend all the NCM Corvette HPDE groups and I'm sure that was a bit of feedback they listened to.
I think that seat would crack your skull unless you're wearing a helmet. I don't believe that's an actual Vette production seat, no way...

Best regards,
...z
Old 10-17-2012, 02:33 AM
Zed_six
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Those seats are sex! Similar to Porsche race seats and Recaro Evos I believe. Puts the Corvette in league with sports cars in the six-figure range as far as the seat design goes! Hope the rest of the interior follows suit.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:01 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by krazyKanuck
It's basically the same steering wheel. It's a test mule why WOULDN'T it have a parts bin wheel? Same buttons to control the radio, same button for cruise, same 'smart stalk' same wiper stalk. And what does a digital dash have to do with a steering wheel?
Does the DMV know you're blind?

But seriously, I don't know if you noticed it, but there's NO car in the GM line up that has that steering wheel. Notice the configuration of the buttons? They're using a custom version of the CUE steering wheel. That's definitely NOT a parts bin steering wheel. While those cars MAY be mules, you have to remember a couple things:

A) The C7 is slated to have a "CUE-like" digital dash which means that the test driver needs a way to manipulate the screen displays.

B) Just because they're test mules doesn't mean they're not going to test the new gauges.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:14 AM
TheDirtyWiz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's another indicator that they aren't resonating: when was the last time you saw or heard of really rich people or celebrities lusting after and buying Corvettes for their fast cars? Most I see are now buying anything but. Probably a few but none that I've seen written about. They just aren't resonating outside this community who are predisposed to like them despite their doing pretty well in Grand Am GT and Daytona Prototype racing this year.
Are you serious? Rich people and celebrities want things that are expensive and exclusive, two things the Corvette thankfully is not. Those people care more about the status symbol aspect of a car and what it "says" about them, not the true performance aspect and value of a car.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:24 AM
LancePearson
Drifting

Default sure....I'm serious

Originally Posted by TheDirtyWiz
Are you serious? Rich people and celebrities want things that are expensive and exclusive, two things the Corvette thankfully is not. Those people care more about the status symbol aspect of a car and what it "says" about them, not the true performance aspect and value of a car.
I'd argue with you in most cases but it's not only marketing or attention cache like all mirror finish supercars but speed and performance as well which the Z06 and ZR1 do have. They just aren't as "exotic" having perfected existing engine technology in an evolutionary way for a long time now. Been a while since they excited non Corvette fans.

Cars like the Ferrari (owned by Fiat, I believe, for a long time) 458 with a 4.5 l, 270 c.i. 500+ hp car that can do 202 mph and have style and function have captured more imagination than Vette...and I love vettes...but you have to pay about 2.5 to 3.0 times as much for the Ferrari.

sort of like watches...Timex, Omega, etc. watches all tell time but there are some watches which sell for $10,000 and tell the same time. Why? Style, imagination and decent performance as well nowadays.

Marketing is an interesting thing and the fact that GM keeps putting vette like power into cars like Camarros to get fast straight line speeds I think weakens their overall high end marketing power. It always seems to me that they weaken their own message.

Lance P.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:54 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Does the DMV know you're blind?

But seriously, I don't know if you noticed it, but there's NO car in the GM line up that has that steering wheel. Notice the configuration of the buttons? They're using a custom version of the CUE steering wheel. That's definitely NOT a parts bin steering wheel.
It may not be a direct copy but it is still ugly. Hopefully the full reveal will make it better!

Last edited by BlueOx; 10-17-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,386 Likes on 2,073 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
It may not be a direct copy but it is still ugly. Hopefully the full reveal will make it better!
Have you ever seen an F1 wheel. Nothing pretty about it. DO you want to be able to keep your hands on the wheel the maximum amount of time to maintain control of the car; or do you want a pretty steering wheel. Please show us an example of a pretty steering wheel.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:44 AM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
Have you ever seen an F1 wheel. Nothing pretty about it. DO you want to be able to keep your hands on the wheel the maximum amount of time to maintain control of the car; or do you want a pretty steering wheel. Please show us an example of a pretty steering wheel.
That is going to be a generic based wheel across the GM line just
like any other car company. The vette is nothing but a chevy
and that is what it will get.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:48 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, "pretty" isn't exactly the look I want...this is cool...if a bit too busy.

I'm not giving up hope for that steering wheel...it may end up looking a bit like this one from a Lambo Aventador...

Get notified of new replies

To Latest photos are up... Can see the seats

Old 10-17-2012, 09:50 AM
B-Myster
Melting Slicks

Received 171 Likes on 58 Posts

Please show us an example of a pretty steering wheel.
These are "pretty".

Old 10-17-2012, 01:17 PM
zland
Drifting

Received 609 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtyWiz
I agree 100%. If they raised the price of a C7 to lets say $300,000 certain celebs & rich people would than buy it.

I think the entire exclusive thing is silly. Lets face it, there are 2 things that make a car exculsive; #1, price & #2 it is so undesirable no one buys it.

The Corvette presents what has always made America great; opportunities for the masses. I love that a C6 matches much more expensive cars.

I am not wealthy & unless I had millions, would never consider buying an exotic. Most MB, BMW's etc are leased which shows most of those people doing it, cannot afford to buy the car & the wiser choice would be not to have it. To be truthful, even if I had millions, I hope I would spend my extra wealth on helping others improve their lives & not on a carbon fiber, high reving, undependable exotic sports car. I enjoy performance but my life is not defined by a .3 better 0-60 or laterial G. Enjoying an affordable, well handling & attractive sports car is enough for me. How many of us make a living off a lap time? To be blunt, how many have ever driven a lap to know their time?
Old 10-17-2012, 01:41 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchydkid
I'm real surprised at those who are not stoked about the seats. Finally a seat that looks like it will hold my shoulders in a turn.

I got excited with the prospect of those seats being in my next corvette.

Quick Reply: Latest photos are up... Can see the seats