C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Direct Injection

Old 09-18-2012, 09:00 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 214 Likes on 138 Posts

Default Direct Injection/Active cylinder managment, maybe even Flex Fuel?

Not sure if this article has been posted before, but I was poking around on the internet looking for C7 info and came across it.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/10/t...mall-block-v8/

And another real good one...

http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tec...n-small-block/

Direct injection ?
Active cylinder management ?
Flex fuel ?
Cam phasing ?

Hmmm... Could be an interesting engine.

Last edited by CSixDude; 09-18-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:57 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Dupe -- prior reference to Engine Labs article:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...en-v-dupe.html

Prior reference to Autoblog article which just regurgitates the Engine Labs article:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...c7-engine.html

Both still have last posts within the last ten days and are on the first page as I type this.

Also related:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...-block-v8.html
Old 09-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Cam in cam technology is neat. Never really paid attention to how it was accomplished or that the new Viper was using it.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:54 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

I hope this does not add another area of difficulty for aftermarket tuners working on the fuel tables throughout the entire rpm range. Something tells me there may be a few mishaps before it all gets sorted out.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:08 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
I hope this does not add another area of difficulty for aftermarket tuners working on the fuel tables throughout the entire rpm range. Something tells me there may be a few mishaps before it all gets sorted out.
Yeah, that's why I plan to let my car live out its warranty before I start modding the engine. Honestly I've gone 3 years with near stock C5Z power. I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever power the new C7 is making long enough to hold out on modding.

I'll let the shops have fun blowing up engines in the mean time. But I do look forward to finding out what tuners can do.

BTW, if these are flex-fuel ready, I'm definitely using it. The new job I got is not too far away from one of the few E85 stations in SoCal. There's 2 or 3 in Los Angeles all together. Considering Los Angeles is the largest county in the country with the most flex-fuel vehicles, it pisses me off we have less than a hand full of E85 stations.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:19 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

You'll be able to "cam-idle" tune the thing like the new 5.0 Make it sound like it has a big cam without any extra power.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:53 AM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I do hope the car is more responsive than the direct injection 2012 camaro I had, GM needs to do some serious tuning to that car before giving another to me.

It was the only car I had that the dropped mph when you pressed the fuel pedal to the floor, when you hoping for power you got nothing.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:01 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bob guzzy
I do hope the car is more responsive than the direct injection 2012 camaro I had, GM needs to do some serious tuning to that car before giving another to me.

It was the only car I had that the dropped mph when you pressed the fuel pedal to the floor, when you hoping for power you got nothing.
Something was wrong with your Camaro.

I've driven lots of direct injection cars (including a couple GMs) and none of them did that. Even a turbo one.

Based on my experience with Corvettes vs F-bodies, I've found that even with the fly-by-wire throttle, the Corvette was more responsive.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:02 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by bob guzzy

It was the only car I had that the dropped mph when you pressed the fuel pedal to the floor, when you hoping for power you got nothing
Sounds like the 1983 Z28 with CrossFire Injection, that I had. Wife's 1981 Buick Skylark 4 banger was quicker on the highway.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:58 PM
PhillyLS1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
You're going to have to add an extra fuel rail and old school fuel injection. The aftermarket is already trying to figure it out.

Hold onto your C5's and C6's if you like making power reliably.

Get notified of new replies

To Direct Injection

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Direct Injection