Sponsored by:

I want this job!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 05:56 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I want this job!

I couldn't help but notice how chill everyone looks in this image. How much fun would it be to drive around in the mountain roads of New Mexico in a NEW generation of Corvette before anyone else gets to!
Gotta wonder what the qualifications are for this test team. I'm sure there are technical engineers/drivers, data collection experts, etc. I wonder if any of the design engineers are there still tweaking anything.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I couldn't help but notice how chill everyone looks in this image. How much fun would it be to drive around in the mountain roads of New Mexico in a NEW generation of Corvette before anyone else gets to!
Gotta wonder what the qualifications are for this test team. I'm sure there are technical engineers/drivers, data collection experts, etc. I wonder if any of the design engineers are there still tweaking anything.

Please OX, don't remind me...it's Monday tomorrow!!!

Last edited by Paulchristian; 09-16-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:01 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
Please OX, don't remind me...Monday tomorrow!!!
Yeah, Monday's are almost like my new avatar!!
Old 09-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Yeah, Monday's are almost like my new avatar!!
Old 09-16-2012, 06:39 PM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

may seem fun, but I imagine they aren't driving it like they stole it and they have to analyze every creak and bump. and like all jobs, if they cant, GM will find someone who will. i guarantee you it is still full of stress.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:18 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by m48xhp
may seem fun, but I imagine they aren't driving it like they stole it and they have to analyze every creak and bump. and like all jobs, if they cant, GM will find someone who will. i guarantee you it is still full of stress.
I don't think it could be stressful enough to keep me from wanting the job.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by m48xhp
Yeah! And what about those pesky bikerazzis*?!

* Bikers with cameras.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:22 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nitrous Oxide
Yeah! And what about those pesky bikerazzis*?!

* Bikers with cameras.
You're OK as long as you aren't driving around topless!
Old 09-17-2012, 10:51 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

The above shot is the first (of those I've seen) that provides a comparison to calculate the wheelbase. Imported this photo into a CAD program and measured the hiplines of the two guy and compared it to the centerline of the wheels.

You could do the same thing with a piece of cellophane tape on your screen. The difference is that in a CAD the image can be magnified to total pixelation.

The ratio is just over 7. Use your own hip measurement and multiply. I come up with a number that suggests the wheel base is 3'+ longer than the C6. Comments I have read on the Jalopnik photos say much the same thing.

BTW, the guy on the right has a hip width that is just slightly less than the guy on the left.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:01 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by pcguy2u
The above shot is the first (of those I've seen) that provides a comparison to calculate the wheelbase. Imported this photo into a CAD program and measured the hiplines of the two guy and compared it to the centerline of the wheels.

You could do the same thing with a piece of cellophane tape on your screen. The difference is that in a CAD the image can be magnified to total pixelation.

The ratio is just over 7. Use your own hip measurement and multiply. I come up with a number that suggests the wheel base is 3'+ longer than the C6. Comments I have read on the Jalopnik photos say much the same thing.

BTW, the guy on the right has a hip width that is just slightly less than the guy on the left.
Can you magnify the pic enough to see the size of the tires? That would be the most accurate item to scale it to, IMO.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:09 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

I think this is probably the best profile shot to date . Also and similar to the latest Ferrari design direction , it appears that there will be very little rear overhang and maybe an inch or two more front overhang than the C6.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:11 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Here's a bigger one...you can even see the slotted brakes.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:30 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Can you magnify the pic enough to see the size of the tires? That would be the most accurate item to scale it to, IMO.
No detail at that level, will post photo with scaled references. Obviously this is not a precise science.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

What your getting at is your checking out their asses? That's one way to measure the car I guess.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:58 AM
mazurekd
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 150 Posts

... measured the hiplines of the two guys ... the guy on the right has a hip width that is just slightly less than the guy on the left.

Hmmmm. Guys talking about other guy's hips. Isn't there a special place for this? Moderator... Moderator....

(just funnin' ya.)

Old 09-17-2012, 12:11 PM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago1
What your getting at is your checking out their asses? That's one way to measure the car I guess.
I say: use skulls instead. Less variation.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:07 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

No detail at that level, will post photo with scaled references. Obviously this is not a precise science.
Hmmm, 3" additional wheelbase would be a lot (especially since the C6 added 1.2" over the C5) but it is possible.

Get notified of new replies

To I want this job!

Old 09-17-2012, 02:47 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Yes, 1 to 2 inches added rearward would be more like it. That would probably be enough to create a 47/48 front to 52/53 rear weight bias distribution. The Ferrari F12 is 47/53 f/r and that is where Vette has to be to address the traction issues of the past. It looks like that is what they've done.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:59 PM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Can't seem to find a side on low level shot that is not distored. Even the ones on the Chevy site that are dead on t-bone from a low level don't scale appropriately. When I import the C6 comparo and set the scale to force the known WB of 105.7", the height and length come out short.

In any case, the WB looks closer to 1" strong.

With the understanding that there are known questions about the results, I'll post the JPG.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:27 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

I did the measuements on myself and I calculate the wheelbase will get 22" longer . I hope this is not an accurate figure.

Quick Reply: I want this job!