Sponsored by:

"Automobile" magazine has posted new spy photos

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 08:25 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by onedaydreamcar
That much is obvious. I'm just saying the devil is in the detail, and I doubt Jalopnik got them all correct. Honestly, the quality of that rendering is **** poor compared to what other can do, it is very rough. Compared the the Trinity rendering this thing is hardly realistic, and even the Trinity (no offense, it is great work) can be seen as unrealistic compared to other renderings out there. It is a factor of time. ***this isn't to discredit the work done to make any renderings***

I'm just saying it seems a little different is all.
You have to remember that each entity is getting what they want out of all this...
-Jalopnik has gotten a TON of basically free PR for their web site...I mean to equal the word-of-mouth they have gotten would have cost many thousands otherwise.
-The Trinity Animation folks did spend a TON of time doing the animation but they also have a major portfolio piece unlike anyone and their name has been all over the place in major magazines and web sites.
-Omega Tool got major PR that they are working with GM but otherwise it isn't good news about their security.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Just reflections...some sort of cloud reflections I'd guess.
Look at the pic you linked. Full size. Look at the straight light and dark bands parallel to the leading edge of the roof.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:44 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jinx
Look at the pic you linked. Full size. Look at the straight light and dark bands parallel to the leading edge of the roof.
Yeah, I did. That is why I posted it. What is your explanation?
Old 09-13-2012, 08:50 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Well, still looks a LOT like this...

I see quite a few differences. Looking at the spy shot, I see that the grille opening is narrower(width) and does not have the arrow pointed ends. Also the top of the grille opening on the Jalopnik drawing shows about an ich of surface up to the beltline crease, whereas the shy shot shows the top of the grille opening at the beltline crease. To my eye, I don't think the front fascia is as pointed in the spy shot as with the Jalopnik drawing. Could just be because of the different angles of the front between the photos.

The hood opening on the spy shot is quite a bit smaller, width and length with the front of the hood placed much further back(compare the headlights to where the camo straps are achored to the body at the corners of the hood opening.

The hood on the spy shot seems to be covered with the mesh and close to the front of the hood you can see two dark slits that appear to be heat extraction slots(spaced around 6-8" apart).

The front fender opening at the leading edge appears to have Gurney flaps as part of the fender panel as soes the rear fenders. What is funny(to my eye) is the rocker panels. Behind the door, it appears to be taperted in quite a bit and then the rocker panel flares outward significantly to provide a large Gurney flap in front of the rear wheels. Take a look at a 1980 C3 for the same styling.

It appears that there is no any padding on top of the hood at the rear, so I'm guessing not much of a power bulge( I realize that the Jalopnik drawing is showing a significant ZR1??? power bulge).

The horizonal crease on the door mirrors reflect the overall theme of the car; that of being more edger then the C6.

Looking at the square on side shot, I easily see an additonal 6-8 inches added on to the overall length because of greater front and rear overhangs. Don't really see that they would add any real weight, as its only plastic front and rear fasica's I'm talking about

Last edited by JoesC5; 09-13-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:58 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I see quite a few differences. Looking at the spy shot, I see that the grille opening is narrower(width) and does not have the arrow pointed ends. Also the top of the grille opening on the Jalopnik drawing shows about an ich of surface up to the beltline crease, whereas the shy shot shows the top of the grille opening at the beltline crease. To my eye, I don't think the front fascia is as pointed in the spy shot as with the Jalopnik drawing. Could just be because of the different angles of the front between the photos.

The hood opening on the spy shot is quite a bit smaller, width and length with the front of the hood placed much further back(compare the headlights to where the camo straps are achored to the body at the corners of the hood opening.

The hood on the spy shot seems to be covered with the mesh and close to the front of the hood you can see two dark slits that appear to be heat extraction slots(spaced around 6-8" apart).

The front fender opening at the leading edge appears to have Gurney flaps as part of the fender panel as soes the rear fenders. What is funny(to my eye) is the rocker panels. Behind the door, it appears to be taperted in quite a bit and then the rocker panel flares outward significantly to provide a large Gurney flap in front of the rear wheels.

It appears that there is no any padding on top of the hood at the rear, so I'm guessing not much of a power bulge( I realize that the Jalopnik drawing is showing a significant ZR1??? power bulge).

The horizonal crease on the door mirrors reflect the overall theme of the car; that of being more edger then the C6.
Yeah, I can't tell if the spy shot is a ZR1 or not so some of it is hard to tell from some of the detail there. I can't tell any SIGNIFICANT differences with the camo one. I certainly think there will be some surprises when we see the final final.

Last edited by BlueOx; 09-13-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:02 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

You have to remember that each entity is getting what they want out of all this...
-Jalopnik has gotten a TON of basically free PR for their web site...I mean to equal the word-of-mouth they have gotten would have cost many thousands otherwise.
-The Trinity Animation folks did spend a TON of time doing the animation but they also have a major portfolio piece unlike anyone and their name has been all over the place in major magazines and web sites.
-Omega Tool got major PR that they are working with GM but otherwise it isn't good news about their security.
So, what's it all about? Jalopnik getting a bunch of free advertising for their site or the world getting an accurate drawing of the C7?
Old 09-13-2012, 09:05 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

So, what's it all about? Jalopnik getting a bunch of free advertising for their site or the world getting an accurate drawing of the C7?
I'm pretty sure Jalopnik wouldn't have done it if it didn't mean a ton of PR but to get that PR, it was important for it to be accurate. SO the real answer is BOTH! They will ride this PR wave for a long time...because it is so accurate!
Old 09-13-2012, 09:09 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Hey Joe, If they added 6 to 8 inches of overhang to the car I will gracefully bow out..

I will call tomorrow to get my deposit back. Haha
Old 09-13-2012, 09:12 PM
DocKevin
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by redvette77
I know I will regret saying this, but the two center taillights sure do look circular to me.
Not quite. Look at the red lights ... they're semi-circular (with the circle being on bottom and then a flat top) very similar to the camaro lights.

The Omega leaked bumper makes it look like they could be round, but the red lights in the picture are clearly semi-circular ... like the camaro lights.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:13 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,443 Likes on 2,270 Posts

I have a hard time "seeing" what that thing looks like under all that camo. Others are much better at that than me.

There's something about the length of the car when viewed in the broadside. The proportions are different, even a bit odd.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:13 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Yeah, I can't tell if the spy shot is a ZR1 or not so some of it is hard to tell some of the detail there. I can't tell any SIGNIFICANT differences with the camo one. I certainly think there will be some surprises when we see the final final.
GM has allready said no ZR1, etc for 2014. While GM most likely has designed/engineered and has some suppliers working on ZR1? items, GM is concerned about getting the base C7 to market. After that, then they will move the engineers over to getting the ZR1??? ready for the later "new and improved" version of the C7. GM only has so much talent to spread around, so they dole out the work load as needed. After they get the base C7 to market, those engineers, etc will switch over to getting the ZR1? ready to release in a year or two down the line. Like the C5 and then the C6, I suspect we will see the coupe released first, then 6 months later the convertible. They get the coupe up and running, working out the last minute production details, then they go to work on the convertible, get it to market and then they go to work on the ZR1???.

They don't have the time to worry about building camo ZR1's to run around the planet at this time. Good chance the suppliers haven't even started work on any production tooing for the ZR1??? They are working on finalizing the base C7's tooling etc, plus doing some work on preproduction parts for engineering to mock up the ZR1????
Old 09-13-2012, 09:17 PM
zland
Drifting

Received 608 Likes on 191 Posts

What is sad to me is I might prefer the shape of the taillights on the black camouflage covering the back of the car more than the real taillights. I hope I am wrong about that but a round shape taillight struck inside a plastic rectangular shape insert sounds cheap n ugly.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:18 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by John T
Hey Joe, If they added 6 to 8 inches of overhang to the car I will gracefully bow out..

It appears to my eye, that 3-4 inches added to the front and 2-3 inches added to the rear. The front is easy to see as they can't add any padding to the grille opening(blocks the air flow), but they can add padding to the rear to throw off the lines of the car
Old 09-13-2012, 09:20 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,443 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Additional overhang would not be an improvement.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:21 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

GM has allready said no ZR1, etc for 2014. While GM most likely has designed/engineered and has some suppliers working on ZR1? items, GM is concerned about getting the base C7 to market. After that, then they will move the engineers over to getting the ZR1??? ready for the later "new and improved" version of the C7. GM only has so much talent to spread around, so they dole out the work load as needed. After they get the base C7 to market, those engineers, etc will switch over to getting the ZR1? ready to release in a year or two down the line. Like the C5 and then the C6, I suspect we will see the coupe released first, then 6 months later the convertible. They get the coupe up and running, working out the last minute production details, then they go to work on the convertible, get it to market and then they go to work on the ZR1???.

They don't have the time to worry about building camo ZR1's to run around the planet at this time. Good chance the suppliers haven't even started work on any production tooing for the ZR1??? They are working on finalizing the base C7's tooling etc, plus doing some work on preproduction parts for engineering to mock up the ZR1????
My point bein that the Jalopnik image is (supposedly) a ZR1.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:34 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

My point bein that the Jalopnik image is (supposedly) a ZR1.
When you said you couldn' tell if the spy shot was a ZR1 or not, I assumed you were speaking about the spy shot.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:38 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jinx
Could be some air brushed lines to fool the observer's eyes.

Get notified of new replies

To "Automobile" magazine has posted new spy photos

Old 09-13-2012, 09:42 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Originally Posted by John T

I gotta tell ya, even though they said the C7 was supposed to be smaller in some way, that car looks as big or even a little bigger than the C6.

Now I know there could be padding in there adding lenght, but I don't think so, especially comparing it to the jalopy renderings.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:46 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JLinNY
I gotta tell ya, even though they said the C7 was supposed to be smaller in some way, that car looks as big or even a little bigger than the C6.

Now I know there could be padding in there adding lenght, but I don't think so, especially comparing it to the jalopy renderings.
I agree. I suspect that the C7 will be an inch or a little more lower(back to where the C5 was) with the windshield laid back to where the C5's was, the same width, and even longer then the C5 by a couple of inches.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

IMO someone has effed up and Jalopnik saw the car. They've got the main body line curves dead on. Look at the quarter panel line and then how high the fender line is creating an overly high belt-line; seems to be the norm in modern design (see the new Camaro).

Trinity rendering based off of Jalopnik

Latest spy photo.... other side, but you can really see the quarter panel/fender creases match exactly.

Just my $0.02, but I think we've basically seen the car. Overall I do like it, but if given the choice I'd go buy the new Viper in a heartbeat. Far sexier/dynamic design.

Quick Reply: "Automobile" magazine has posted new spy photos