Autoweek Feb 18 article - C7 design critique

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 07:39 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Default Autoweek Feb 18 article - C7 design critique

On page 20 of the February 18th edition of Autoweek there is a two page design review/critique of the C7, written by fashion designer Scott Barber.

He reviews 12 specific area of the C7 styling, from front to rear. Overall, he gives very favorable remarks to 9 of the 12 points. One point he critiques is the black A pillars, suggesting that they should be body colored. His two harshest comment are reserved for the rear of the car, first that:

- "the panel behind the (rear) tire seems like an add-on, not a flowing design element"

and secondly, referring to the tail lights:

- "I'm not sure that the flagship model should take any cues from the Camaro"

It seems that others now recognize what some here on the Forum have been saying - and been flamed for - i.e., that the C7 is good overall but has some issues with the design of the rear.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:46 PM
Davy_Baby9
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A car being reviewed by a fashion designer?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:49 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Davy_Baby9
Exactly!

His expertise is men's clothing. Maybe he can provide input on the uniforms for the race team.

Meanwhile maybe one of the GM powertrain engineers will come out with a new line of business casual attire.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:55 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
On page 20 of the February 18th edition of Autoweek there is a two page design review/critique of the C7, written by fashion designer Scott Barber.

He reviews 12 specific area of the C7 styling, from front to rear. Overall, he gives very favorable remarks to 9 of the 12 points. One point he critiques is the black A pillars, suggesting that they should be body colored. His two harshest comment are reserved for the rear of the car, first that:

- "the panel behind the (rear) tire seems like an add-on, not a flowing design element"

and secondly, referring to the tail lights:

It seems that others now recognize what some here on the Forum have been saying - and been flamed for - i.e., that the C7 is good overall but has some issues with the design of the rear.
Great, well, I doubt that Scott Barber could design a Corvette but I know Kirk Bennion could design a plaid shirt.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:56 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

You seem to miss - or perhaps intentionally ignore - the underlying point, namely that an affluent upscale member of the public has recognized the same issues as hard core Corvette loyalists. If that type of person, who is part of the young affluent demographic that GM is trying to attract, can see the "family resemblance" issues, it would seem that the public at large likely will do so as well.

To go by what you guys are saying, no one but a car designer should be able to have an opinion about the C7. If that holds true, they won't sell very many.................
Old 02-16-2013, 08:08 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I don't believe you will receive a lot of support on this issue. It has been kicked around so much. I have come to the conclusion that the lights are either loved or hated. Not to many in between. In the latest Car and Driver, that was a question asked of Tadge and his response was "from what feed back we have the YOUNGER group likes these".
Old 02-16-2013, 08:14 PM
chiefttp
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

The bottom line is that Chevy will get to refresh this design a few times throughout the cars life-cycle, much like the C-3 was tweaked numerous times over the years..I can easily envision a new tail in a few years.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:33 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
You seem to miss - or perhaps intentionally ignore - the underlying point, namely that an affluent upscale member of the public has recognized the same issues as hard core Corvette loyalists. If that type of person, who is part of the young affluent demographic that GM is trying to attract, can see the "family resemblance" issues, it would seem that the public at large likely will do so as well.

To go by what you guys are saying, no one but a car designer should be able to have an opinion about the C7. If that holds true, they won't sell very many.................
Well, I understand what you are saying, and I don't disagree. HOwever, there is one counterweight to his comments: the alleged (and I have no reason to doubt it) very large crowds that stood around and kept growing at the Chicago Auto Show to view the new Corvette.

I know at my local auto show, they had printed up large signs near the ticket lines that the 2014 Corvette was not in attendance. I can only guess that many asked about it, and were disappointed that it wasn't there. And yes, if you ask me, imo, that was a "miss" by GM and Corvette to not have it every major and minor new car show.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:37 PM
bmacZO6
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Davy_Baby9
Let's check with him for a stock tip while he's at it.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:19 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bmacZO6
Let's check with him for a stock tip while he's at it.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:38 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
Exactly!

His expertise is men's clothing. Maybe he can provide input on the uniforms for the race team.

Meanwhile maybe one of the GM powertrain engineers will come out with a new line of business casual attire.
Maybe they can have a Victoria's Secret model critique it's performance capabilities around Laguna Seca since she knows something about curves.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:49 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check this out...his designer buddies trump your shirt designer.
6:50 minutes to 8:42.
If you want to hear them talk about he ZR1 beating the Viper GTS watch from the beginning...
Old 02-16-2013, 09:49 PM
hey32g
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Do I give a rat's a$$ what this guy thinks? Nope.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:51 PM
MyOtherZisQuicker
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

secondly, referring to the tail lights:

It seems that others now recognize what some here on the Forum have been saying - and been flamed for - i.e., that the C7 is good overall but has some issues with the design of the rear. [/QUOTE]

Why does everyone think the taillights are from a Camaro?

Old 02-16-2013, 11:14 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,834 Likes on 660 Posts

They're not from a Camaro, but at the same time they don't look like a Corvette either. Some seem to think that's a good thing while I do not.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:20 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, [deep sigh] ....good design is universal and recognized across all genres.

So someone who desgins clothing for a living can appreciate the good design aesthetics of someone doing interior space, or sculpturing a car.
The language of design is translatable across different artistic disciplines because they hold in common some of the same fundamental principles.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:26 PM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Great, well, I doubt that Scott Barber could design a Corvette but I know Kirk Bennion could design a plaid shirt.

Yeah they would do better than the overpaid gm designers

Get notified of new replies

To Autoweek Feb 18 article - C7 design critique

Old 02-16-2013, 11:28 PM
CitationZ06@yahoo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 6 gen Camaro comes out in 15ish
Old 02-17-2013, 08:59 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by matthewelle
Okay, [deep sigh] ....good design is universal and recognized across all genres.

So someone who desgins clothing for a living can appreciate the good design aesthetics of someone doing interior space, or sculpturing a car.
The language of design is translatable across different artistic disciplines because they hold in common some of the same fundamental principles.
That capability and talent is true for some, but certainly not all, designers. I doubt if Scott Barber goes down in history as an equal of Raymond Loewy who truly was a genius across a very wide range of design subjects Loewy's work encompassed everything from department store window displays to steam locomotives and his work lives on long after his death. The 1960s era Studebaker Avanti is one of his many automotive designs as was the early Harley Knucklehead.

I am sure Barber is very good at what he does but I don't believe he has made it into the top ten list of men's fashion designers.

Maybe to continue this silly season the next issue Autoweek will feature the band members of Union Station debating the members of The Black Eyed Peas on the style and design of the C7.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:01 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I think most here know I am not a huge fan of the C7. I don't hate the car, but I am not head over heels in love with it either. I am reserving my final opinion until I have a chance to see it in person. But The tail lights are not the reason. I wonder when this subject will be put to bed. They are not Camaro tail lights. I have always though that they came more from the 2009 Concept Corvette and were refined. Take a look;

Camaro

2009 Concept

C7

Quick Reply: Autoweek Feb 18 article - C7 design critique