Sponsored by:

2014 Chevrolet Corvette C7 Powertrain

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 11:31 PM
Viana
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Chevrolet Corvette C7 Powertrain

For the source of the power, there are more-significant changes under the hood. GM already has invested nearly $1 billion in the American plants that produce its small-block V-8, and the fifth generation of the iconic family will appear in the C7. Downsizing is almost a given for efficiency reasons, so expect a naturally aspirated 5.5-liter mill in place of the current 6.2 in the base model. The smaller will continue to use an aluminum block with pushrods, and should make roughly the same 430 hp as the current 6.2; it will do so, however, thanks in part to a higher compression ratio and direct fuel injection. The V-8 also is expected to feature cylinder deactivation, some sort of variable valve timing, and perhaps even stop-start functionality—the latter not exactly ideal for stoplight tête-à-têtes. Finally, the Z06 and ZR1 models—with their respective larger and supercharged eights—should return.

Last edited by Viana; 10-18-2013 at 04:56 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:39 PM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Man, I don't want this cylinder deactivation & stop-start functionality BS thing in a Corvette [Sport car]. If they do put it in, they better give us the option to turn it off.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:55 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Yet another new CF member regurgitating what the C7 will be.

Welcome to CF Vanna.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:57 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Can we get some mods to delete nonsense threads like this? This was a repost roughly 2 years ago.

However, z rocks, I challenge you to give me a single logical reason to not add those features if they've worked all the bugs out in relation to the corvette's layout(supposedly the only reason it wasn't added to the ls2 and up engines).
Old 08-23-2012, 11:58 PM
Viana
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol
Old 08-23-2012, 11:59 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
Can we get some mods to delete nonsense threads like this? This was a repost roughly 2 years ago.

However, z rocks, I challenge you to give me a single logical reason to not add those features if they've worked all the bugs out in relation to the corvette's layout(supposedly the only reason it wasn't added to the ls2 and up engines).
Some of the threads are a total waste of bandwidth.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:49 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Viana, why did you create this thread? Does your material have basis in facts?

The repetition of " i know for sure " guesses is maddening !

I don't mean to be disrespectful Viana and I am speaking strictly for myself, not for the forum- I believe this forum can be very effective and exciting when actual facts come through by their generous benefactors. But, on the other hand , it can be very trying when someone comes across like they are stating facts when in fact, they are just guessing . Please, if you are truly " just guessing " just say so .
Old 08-24-2012, 02:15 AM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1

The single reason I got is the big *IF*!
Old 08-24-2012, 04:01 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Viana
For the source of the power, there are more-significant changes under the hood. GM already has invested nearly $1 billion in the American plants that produce its small-block V-8, and the fifth generation of the iconic engine family will appear in the C7. Downsizing is almost a given for efficiency reasons, so expect a naturally aspirated 5.5-liter mill in place of the current 6.2 in the base model. The smaller engine will continue to use an aluminum block with pushrods, and should make roughly the same 430 hp as the current 6.2; it will do so, however, thanks in part to a higher compression ratio and direct fuel injection. The V-8 also is expected to feature cylinder deactivation, some sort of variable valve timing, and perhaps even stop-start functionality—the latter not exactly ideal for stoplight tête-à-têtes. Finally, the Z06 and ZR1 models—with their respective larger and supercharged eights—should return.
OMG breaking news, you've uncovered the HUGE mystery that we've all been waiting on pins and needles for!

2010 called, they want their likely inaccurate and false C7 engine news/info back LOL.

Originally Posted by jackhall99

Exactly LOL.

Last edited by LS1LT1; 08-24-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:32 AM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

My guess is that Viana is associated with GM and is putting this out (again) to gauge interest or just get everybody used to the idea of a 5.5L. It goes against what I have heard from people associated with the race program.

Personally, with the way the C7(might) look, and with the possibility of a smaller engine with no better performance figures (yet) I am really not feeling it. If they get the mileage up to say the 30's or something I could possibly understand the reasoning, but it would be a miss for the Vette because that is not what this car is about.

Maybe the coupe would get a 5.5L with cylinder deactivation and then possibly a 6.2L supercharged/di engine for the Z model(s). I guess that would be a good strategy to keep overall mileage up for CAFE since more base/coups (read: cheaper) modesl are normally sold.

We'll find out soon enough.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:53 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by jackhall99

Welcome to CF Vanna.
..... another cut and paste newbie.....

Get notified of new replies

To 2014 Chevrolet Corvette C7 Powertrain

Quick Reply: 2014 Chevrolet Corvette C7 Powertrain