C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Our new C7 visualization video on youtube

Old 08-24-2012, 08:00 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Great job with the video, too bad the car is just a tweaked Camaro. Otherwise it's going to be allright with the next generation of kids who might buy it. I don't mind being relegated to the Classic Corvette, cause the new isn't all that. I'll continue updating and upgrading my awesome C5. As a designer, I see failure in this new attempt, however GM may have not even have wanted a Corvette to be a progression of style from the past generations and wanted a "Clean Slate" and reinvent the model from the ground up.

Now that's as bold as it gets! Complete reinvention, NO TIES to the past except the emblem. So a complete FAIL MIGHT BE a COMPLETE Success given the goals they wanted.

BOLD.... YES!

But the bold also have the habit of taking the first hit for the team.

Last edited by sfc rick; 08-24-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:13 PM
KCC6Vert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11
Default Video

Jim - Fellow Kansas Citian here. We live in Olathe, but come over to your side to buy our Corvettes at Molle in Blue Springs.

WOW! Impressive video from a car, technology, artistic, whatever standpoint. I actually grabbed my wife and dragged her in to look at the video on a 27 inch iMac. It is fantastic! We roared when we saw the Missouri license plates! Thanks for being true to your hometown/state on that touch!

Best of luck to your company and to you specifically. It is hard to put a value on a grainy, 2d photo. These videos have me excited about the new C7!
Old 09-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Jim_Lammers
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the note and kind compliments, it's great to hear from you!

Funny thing, when we first put it up everyone was like "why Missouri, because of the 'show-me' motto?" and "the backgrounds don't look like Missouri" But I would ask in reply, why wouldn't a new C7 owner in, say, Kansas City, want to go on a road trip

Originally Posted by KCC6Vert
Jim - Fellow Kansas Citian here. We live in Olathe, but come over to your side to buy our Corvettes at Molle in Blue Springs.

WOW! Impressive video from a car, technology, artistic, whatever standpoint. I actually grabbed my wife and dragged her in to look at the video on a 27 inch iMac. It is fantastic! We roared when we saw the Missouri license plates! Thanks for being true to your hometown/state on that touch!

Best of luck to your company and to you specifically. It is hard to put a value on a grainy, 2d photo. These videos have me excited about the new C7!
Old 09-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jim_Lammers
Thanks for the note and kind compliments, it's great to hear from you!

Funny thing, when we first put it up everyone was like "why Missouri, because of the 'show-me' motto?" and "the backgrounds don't look like Missouri" But I would ask in reply, why wouldn't a new C7 owner in, say, Kansas City, want to go on a road trip
Welcome to the Bay Area. That's the Bay Bridge, much lesser known than its sister the Golden Gate bridge. (I know you know; but for the reader's benefit.)

Some people don't realize the herculean effort behind this.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Jim_Lammers
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nitrous Oxide
Welcome to the Bay Area. That's the Bay Bridge, much lesser known than its sister the Golden Gate bridge. (I know you know; but for the reader's benefit.)

Some people don't realize the herculean effort behind this.
Thanks Nitrous! We have about 600 hours in it, so for sure it was a good bit of work.

In 1989 I did a western tour in my 1975 coupe. Utah, California, etc - what a blast. I just might have to take my new C7 to the Bay Bridge in 2014, maybe meet up with you for a beer
Old 09-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Thanks Nitrous! We have about 600 hours in it, so for sure it was a good bit of work.

In 1989 I did a western tour in my 1975 coupe. Utah, California, etc - what a blast. I just might have to take my new C7 to the Bay Bridge in 2014, maybe meet up with you for a beer
In a C7?

For sure.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:08 PM
RobC2
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Animation is very good. I really hope the C7 looks better than this amalgam of existing cars that we have been seeing though. It already looks dated to me and it isn't even out yet. There hasn't been a Corvette yet whose style I truly dislike though, so I still have some faith...
Old 09-09-2012, 01:46 AM
Jim_Lammers
Instructor

Originally Posted by RobC2
Animation is very good. I really hope the C7 looks better than this amalgam of existing cars that we have been seeing though. It already looks dated to me and it isn't even out yet. There hasn't been a Corvette yet whose style I truly dislike though, so I still have some faith...
Thanks Rob. It's fairly faithful to what we know but I think the parts where it could use improvement by a car stylist are the parts we got wrong. We aren't car stylists so once we had it looking as close as we could to Jalopnik + SpyPics we ran out of things to tweak
Old 09-09-2012, 10:55 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Thanks Rob. It's fairly faithful to what we know but I think the parts where it could use improvement by a car stylist are the parts we got wrong. We aren't car stylists so once we had it looking as close as we could to Jalopnik + SpyPics we ran out of things to tweak
Thanks Jim for your work and I keep looking for more from you !! Haha

I am curious why you choose to disregard the rear bumper detail where it is bifurcated right above the license plate area.

Do you believe this will be a ZR1 only detail?
Old 09-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Z06Fiend
Instructor

I also applaud you Jim on the quality and amount of work you(Trinity) put into the model and animations. As a 3d visualization artist working in the architectural field, I know how arduous the process can be.

I think your model of the C7 looks great, but I must admit the front nose/hood area still doesn't look quite right to me. I know this is a very tough area to model due to it's complex curves and shape, especially when trying to keep the model small for better render times. I was wondering if you guys decided to simplify this area, or if it is close to the design data you had in hand? When compared to the Omega video and CAD model shots, it just seems that the nose on your model is not quite the same.

Anyway, great work on the model and animation!
Old 09-11-2012, 02:41 AM
Jim_Lammers
Instructor

Originally Posted by John T
Thanks Jim for your work and I keep looking for more from you !! Haha

I am curious why you choose to disregard the rear bumper detail where it is bifurcated right above the license plate area.

Do you believe this will be a ZR1 only detail?
Do you mean where the tool is cutting in this image?

Old 09-11-2012, 02:43 AM
Jim_Lammers
Instructor

Originally Posted by Z06Fiend
I was wondering if you guys decided to simplify this area, or if it is close to the design data you had in hand? When compared to the Omega video and CAD model shots, it just seems that the nose on your model is not quite the same.

Anyway, great work on the model and animation!
Thanks for the kind note!

We rebuilt it after the Omega pics came out and tried to match those. I'm sure it isn't a perfect match but we got it as close as we could with the time we had. Mostly trying to match it to this:

Old 09-11-2012, 08:30 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Do you mean where the tool is cutting in this image?

Yes ! On the 3/4 rear view of of the Jalopnik pic it appears that the painted tail light section ends at that strip and then , coming down , you have a different component of the rear fascia- probably a different material, charcoal or black in color , an aero / license plate / exhaust surround. A detail that is very trendy at present.

That horizontal " demarcation " , that visually separates the two rear sections may radically change the rear view of the car. Thanks for listening ..
Old 09-12-2012, 01:26 AM
Jim_Lammers
Instructor

Originally Posted by John T
Yes ! On the 3/4 rear view of of the Jalopnik pic it appears that the painted tail light section ends at that strip and then , coming down , you have a different component of the rear fascia- probably a different material, charcoal or black in color , an aero / license plate / exhaust surround. A detail that is very trendy at present.

That horizontal " demarcation " , that visually separates the two rear sections may radically change the rear view of the car. Thanks for listening ..
Yes, good point. Rick Conti said the back had missed some bits on the back side in particular and that might be what he was talking about. I guess we'll see the real thing soon enough to know!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Our new C7 visualization video on youtube