Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Prediction - Jalopnik close

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 01:11 PM
HZ3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

485 with a massive curb weight reduction would rock.

Any ideas on how much it will weigh in at?

crosses fingers for 3k
Old 08-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by thirtythird
Also, the car will have a version of the 6.2L engine.
I predict that the baseline C7 "version of the 6.2L engine" will in fact have a displacement < 6.2 liters.

Although if it incorporates displacement on demand (cylinder deactivation), it could possibly retaim the full 6.2 liters.

Last edited by 235265283...; 08-06-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:10 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HZ3
485 with a massive curb weight reduction would rock.

Any ideas on how much it will weigh in at?

crosses fingers for 3k
Weigh in at 3000 lbs is simply not realistic, especially if they are continuing use of current 6.2 motor adapted for DI. Why?

Well...

1. Price Point - base model will likely be built to price point around $50k or so. Weight reduction is expensive - extensive use of carbon fiber, aluminum, titanium etc is quite costly. Ask me how I know...

2. Now, if the C7 was going to be appreciably smaller (which it appears NOT to be) and making considerably LESS power (again appears it will make a bit more) than #1 would not be as important. But a similar sized vehicle, requiring a strong beefy drivetrain and large wheels/tires will require very expensive components to drive weight down (unless you would like to live without A/C, etc.)

Let's not forget that tightening safety emisions requirements add weight - witness the extra two cat converters now required on the 2013's.

I would expect to see a 460-470 h/p 3200 base C7 - a small, but noticeable step forward in performance at a low 50's msrp, for a decently optioned (not loaded) model. I think the new tranny's will be as important contributor to any enhanced performance, as much as any increased power will be.

Just trying to keep it real...
Old 08-06-2012, 02:17 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by OJCrush08
Weigh in at 3000 lbs is simply not realistic, especially if they are continuing use of current 6.2 motor adapted for DI. Why?

Well...

1. Price Point - base model will likely be built to price point around $50k or so. Weight reduction is expensive - extensive use of carbon fiber, aluminum, titanium etc is quite costly. Ask me how I know...

2. Now, if the C7 was going to be appreciably smaller (which it appears NOT to be) and making considerably LESS power (again appears it will make a bit more) than #1 would not be as important. But a similar sized vehicle, requiring a strong beefy drivetrain and large wheels/tires will require very expensive components to drive weight down (unless you would like to live without A/C, etc.)

Let's not forget that tightening safety emisions requirements add weight - witness the extra two cat converters now required on the 2013's.

I would expect to see a 460-470 h/p 3200 base C7 - a small, but noticeable step forward in performance at a low 50's msrp, for a decently optioned (not loaded) model. I think the new tranny's will be as important contributor to any enhanced performance, as much as any increased power will be.

Just trying to keep it real...
I might have to agree there.

Originally Posted by OJCrush08
I think the new tranny's will be as important contributor to any enhanced performance, as much as any increased power will be.
And those very same new transmissions will also help contribute to increased (or at least maintained) fuel economy as well even in light of this proposed increase in power (and/or lack of reduced weight) that the new car might employ.
7 gears forward (if it happens) can go A LONG way in increasing highway (and even city) fuel economy.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:17 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just an FYI...here is Tom Peters, GM Performance Design Director on his approach to design. I'm guessing he is very involved with the C7. You can see some of the hood venting of the C7 rendering looks very similar to the ZL1..maybe even the rear fender vents of the C7 may work similarly - just guessing. Great video!
http://www.lsxtv.com/news/videozl1-w...or-tom-peters/

Last edited by BlueOx; 08-06-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:32 PM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

Although I do not expect 3000lbs. it is not THAT hard to believe. Widely accepted to be true, it is rumored that all C7 levels will get an aluminum frame. The Z06 aluminum frame weighs 136 lbs. less than the steel frame. So... 3200 (base Vette) - 136 = 3064. I have lifted the seats out of my Vette and have a hard time believing GM could not extract 10 lbs. or so from each of those beasts. 3064-20=3044. Now I'm not going to nickel and dime the rest of the car to get the 44 lbs. for y'all, but that is exactly the kind of thing engineers at GM are paid to do. If 3000 is the goal, it is well within reach without throwing thousands of dollars of carbon fiber at the car... in my less than informed opinion.

-D
Old 08-06-2012, 03:51 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

It's safe to say that Omega's rear bumper mold shown in the video will be used for years of C7 production. But now that that the taillamps are a large assembly that drops into the bumper, the taillamp design could be changed for different models/years.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:31 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,838 Likes on 660 Posts

Whoever creates the first set of round aftermarket taillights is going to make a fortune!!!
Old 08-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06
I agree with the original post. 6.2L. And the car will be close to the leaks. I am making an educated guess and saying 485hp. About 50 more than the LS3.
I read many posts on this forum where people are stipulating that they believe hp figures for the C7 will be between 450-485 hp. Is it just me or does this estimate seem low? I am wondering why people feel this way?? Why would the corvette team only increase our HP by 50 or so? Afterall, at this rate, pretty soon we will be out gunned (horsepower wise) by a 5.0 Mustang GT!!!

I have faith that the corvette team will give us at least 500 hp. If the base C6 matched the outgoing C5 ZO6 in horsepower, why is it so hard to believe that the base C7 will match the outgoing C6 ZO6? What am I missing here???

In my opinion, if the C7 does not come out of the gate with at least 500hp, not only will it be a huge disaapointment, but also an absolute embarassment. Afterall, couldn't the corvette team simply put in a detuned LS9 or an LSA from a CTS-V. It just seems really rediculous, at least to me, for the corvette team to not achieve the 500 hp figure with all the tools they have in their arsenal, especially given the hp wars going on in the industry right now where hp figures have gone through the roof.

I don't believe it for a second. The C7 WILL have at least 500 hp.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:30 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
MPG is one reason why hp may not jump that high especially if it is a significantly lighter car.

I would expect the base Corvette to shoot for Z06-like performance numbers 0-60 and in the 1/4.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:35 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Expect the performance C7 engines and higher HP to appear in 2015 & 2016. Plenty will buy a fairly tame C7 in 2013 to have the new Corvette. Many of those 2013 buyers will trade up for more C7 HP later.

Last edited by jb_va2001; 08-06-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:37 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
I read many posts on this forum where people are stipulating that they believe hp figures for the C7 will be between 450-485 hp. Is it just me or does this estimate seem low? I am wondering why people feel this way?? Why would the corvette team only increase our HP by 50 or so? Afterall, at this rate, pretty soon we will be out gunned (horsepower wise) by a 5.0 Mustang GT!!!

I have faith that the corvette team will give us at least 500 hp. If the base C6 matched the outgoing C5 ZO6 in horsepower, why is it so hard to believe that the base C7 will match the outgoing C6 ZO6? What am I missing here???

In my opinion, if the C7 does not come out of the gate with at least 500hp, not only will it be a huge disaapointment, but also an absolute embarassment. Afterall, couldn't the corvette team simply put in a detuned LS9 or an LSA from a CTS-V. It just seems really rediculous, at least to me, for the corvette team to not achieve the 500 hp figure with all the tools they have in their arsenal, especially given the hp wars going on in the industry right now where hp figures have gone through the roof.

As far a Corvette is concerned, GM doesn't care what Mustang does. The Mustang is a lower level car. I have never, ever read anything from anyone at GM that had Mustang and Corvette in the same sentence. Now Porsche? That's a whole nother story.

Let Camaro worry about Mustang.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:40 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by jb_va2001
Expect the performance C7 engines and higher HP to appear in 2015 & 2016. Plenty will buy a fairly tame C7 in 2013 to have the new Corvette. Many of those 2013 buyers will trace up for more C7 HP later.
If the base C7 attains C6 Z06 numbers, it will be far from tame.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:41 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

For many years the Corvette was available with engines from mild to wild , and when that was not possible they were only available with mild engines. My last Corvette was a Z06 that I would be very hesitant to let just about anyone drive let alone my sister or daughter. If all our fantasies come true and 500hp on the base becomes a reality I think a valet key would be a must. If I were a betting man the real number may be closer to 450 than 500.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:58 PM
1RedVettFor2
Advanced

I would even venture to say that they may come out with an initial mid to high 400s for hp. Then (as they did in 08 with 30hp increase) bump it towards or slightly above 500hp.This would make 470hp make sense in a lot of ways.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:33 PM
checkmate
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I find it amazing that everyone has a friend that works for GM or has seen the new Corvette every time a refresh is done. Let's be realistic anyone that is working on the new corvette will not risk their awesome job by telling someone about GM's top secret car.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:03 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Should I copyright, "Real Corvettes Have Round Tail Lights"?

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Prediction - Jalopnik close

Old 08-06-2012, 08:06 PM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by checkmate
I find it amazing that everyone has a friend that works for GM or has seen the new Corvette every time a refresh is done. Let's be realistic anyone that is working on the new corvette will not risk their awesome job by telling someone about GM's top secret car.
You missed part of reading between the lines, and they were pretty big lines earlier in this thread.

I would agree with your statement in general, of course.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:13 PM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
That's all fine and good, but how could you not ask whether the horsepower figure starts with a 4 or a 5?
For some reason, I did not even think of that. Crucial mistake on my part!

But on the other hand, after I asked my initial question, it appeared that the person was willing to give me more info than I was expecting, and I did not really push much because I did not want to appear rude or pushy.

I did ask what engine would be put into it and he said a version of the 6.2L engine. I then threw out the DI part and he seemed to agree.

I personally am not too worried about the HP thing. I will be shocked if the base coupe has less than 475 to start with. For me, that won't make or break the thing. Probably why I did not think to ask that question. But it would have been a good thing. I am guessing this person would possibly not know or care about what the base engine in the car is, though, so I was mostly concerned about looks.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:30 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

I think the HP number itself is grossly over-hyped. I personally don't care so much about the actual number as much as the car's performance. If GM improves on things like suspension, weight, aerodynamics, and transmission to the point where the car has C6Z06~ish performance stats, does it really matter how much horsepower the engine is putting out, or how much displacement it has?

Quick Reply: C7 Prediction - Jalopnik close