Sponsored by:

Mid Engine Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 04:03 AM
CorvetteMacedonia
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mid Engine Corvette

GM wanted to make the C7 a mid engine car, but the FG took over, and with the cost savings the mid engine was postponed for better days.

What do you think about this concept? The mid engine will improve the traction at the rear tires, thus improving the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. The improved balance will make the Corvette much more of a drivers car, with better handling.

But, how will the customers react to this change? We are talking about 60 years of tradition front engine rear wheels, it is not easy to say good bye to such heritage.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by CorvetteMacedonia; 07-20-2012 at 04:05 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:50 AM
WOLF ECHO
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

IB4T"CorvetteIsAlreadyMid-EnginedWithNearPerfectWeightDistribution "Crowd.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:53 AM
Varcix
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

it wasn't easy to give up the "pop-up" lights either...but it happened
Old 07-20-2012, 09:31 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Now is that the silly mid-front definition you want to discuss or the real mid-engine design that GM won't ever do? Talk about ruination of a brand!!

The idea that the mid-engine design was put off because of the "FG" is laughable.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:36 AM
CorvetteMacedonia
Heel & Toe

Mid engine is the next logical step. The heavy engine on the front produces low grip on the rear tires, the corvette spins them easily. But if you look at a Porsche, it has tremendous grip at the start. I know Porsche is not a mid engine car, but you could see the result when the engine sits on the tires. The Porsche has better grip on the start with the rear engine, but its not so balanced in the corners. The mid engine would be slightly worse at the start but much more balanced in the corners.
Also the front engine makes the Corvette's heavy nose dive on hard braking. This will be much improved with mid engine. Everything is FOR a mid engine Corvette, except for the pedigree. Corvette's has always been the american formula FR. Can they brake the formula? Varcix thinks they can.

@BlueOx
I don't fully understand what are trying to say.

@are8see
You think so? I am new here I wouldn't know
Old 07-20-2012, 10:30 AM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Now is that the silly mid-front definition you want to discuss or the real mid-engine design that GM won't ever do? Talk about ruination of a brand!!

The idea that the mid-engine design was put off because of the "FG" is laughable.

I doubt a rear mid configuration will ever happen. There may be some advantages to the rear-mid configuration, but they generally suck for maintenance, cooling system is harder to design, cargo capacity and passenger room (not as big of a problem for 2 seat cars). If you do start to lose it, they can be harder to recover because of the extra inertia coming from the ear.

Last edited by chaase; 07-20-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:30 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by CorvetteMacedonia
@BlueOx
I don't fully understand what are trying to say.
Not sure what you don't understand.

GM has been harassed to do a true mid-engine design for most of it's history but has refused. This has nothing to do with the FG being involved or not.

Some have said that the Corvette is already a mid-engine design but it clearly is not in GM's thinking.

I think a true mid-engine Corvette would be far more likely to 'ruin' the Corvette brand than AWD. It would clearly require a complete separate redesign of the chassis AND drivetrain whereas AWD would not. Both AWD and RWD cars could potentially be done with a single chassis design.

Of course, it is all speculation...
Old 07-20-2012, 10:39 AM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

I would guess that GM will always keep the Corvette a Front Engine Rear Drive platform. At least for the forseeable future.

It's easy enough to revive an old name or make a new model that shares parts with current production vehicles. Maybe even the Caddy brand could take on the 'exotic' version.

Why mess with something that's rock solid in the performance and profit categories?
Old 07-20-2012, 10:39 AM
Notch
Safety Car

It would clearly require a complete separate redesign of the chassis AND drivetrain whereas AWD would not. ...
Just how much redesign do you think it would take to convert the Vette to AWD?
Old 07-20-2012, 10:46 AM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

Another mid engine thread discussion? Why don't we just get rid of the search function?
Old 07-20-2012, 10:48 AM
CorvetteMacedonia
Heel & Toe

As far as I remember the mid design was clearly in GM's thinking in the past decade, but financial problems were always an obstacle. When FG took over, they just scraped the mid engine plans and decided to use the C6 as a basis for the C7, which is not a bad idea at all.

@redvette77
I did, and it gave 0 threads about it!
Old 07-20-2012, 10:53 AM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

@redvette77
I did, and it gave 0 threads about it!
To be fair, nearly every thread in this section has discussed or is currently discussing the mid engine issue. You wouldn't even have to use the search function to find one.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:56 AM
CorvetteMacedonia
Heel & Toe

Ok, thanks. I am new here, so I wouldn't know what subjects are popular. But it wouldn't hurt to have 1 thread for a very hot subject now, would it
Old 07-20-2012, 11:07 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Notch
Just how much redesign do you think it would take to convert the Vette to AWD?
How much redesign is beyond my pay grade but it would be a lot less than a true mid-engine design.

It depends on how the AWD system is designed. If you look at an example of the FF, for instance, it would appear that both an AWD and RWD version could be done with one chassis design, based on how similar it is to the C5/C6 drivetrain.

Last edited by BlueOx; 07-20-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Notch
Safety Car

It depends on how the AWD system is designed.
The engine has to be either raised to get the front drive unit under it, causing a significant increase in the front profile (along with a higher overall CG) and leading to design issues with the remaining structure aft of the taller engine compartment, or the engine has to be shifted to the rear to allow room for the the drive unit in front of the engine, causing design issues with the passenger compartment and with the overall drivetrain routing and design (additional weight and complexity vs the higher engine option).
Old 07-20-2012, 12:06 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Ok, thanks. I am new here, so I wouldn't know what subjects are popular. But it wouldn't hurt to have 1 thread for a very hot subject now, would it
No it wouldn't....http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...ne-or-awd.html
Old 07-20-2012, 12:19 PM
lockmart
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would insert a picture of beating a dead horse, but that in itself would be beating a dead horse onm this subject ha.

Get notified of new replies

To Mid Engine Corvette

Old 07-20-2012, 12:29 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

The engine has to be either raised to get the front drive unit under it, causing a significant increase in the front profile (along with a higher overall CG) and leading to design issues with the remaining structure aft of the taller engine compartment, or the engine has to be shifted to the rear to allow room for the the drive unit in front of the engine, causing design issues with the passenger compartment and with the overall drivetrain routing and design (additional weight and complexity vs the higher engine option).
Not necessarily. It could be lowered.

Also not necessarily. The wheelbase could be lengthened, which it looks like it already has been in this early spy shot.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Not necessarily. It could be lowered.
The engine could be lowered?
Old 07-20-2012, 12:52 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

People keep saying this but forget they are dealing with a smaller Gen V engine now. A lot would depend on what design the AWD system was chosen. Remember that the ZR1 engine sits lower because of the supercharger so it doesn't have to be a major change visually especially since it would be a whole new body.

Quick Reply: Mid Engine Corvette