Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Default C7 Leak Omega Corp's lawyer letter to Jalopnik

http://jalopnik.com/5925130/heres-th...ium=socialflow

I knew it was coming!
Old 07-11-2012, 01:35 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Not even DMCA, but the Uniform Trade Secret Act. Big guns.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:36 PM
FastZ06Eh?
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like this part

"If you fail or refuse to remove the Illegal Content, Omega will pursue all available remedies, including but not limited to legal action"

Huh? What are they doing to do, show up at the office and bitch slap someone?
Old 07-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Block Jalopnik at their corporate firewall, denying Jalopnik the ad revenue of their tens of employees with web access. And ban them from factory tours.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:42 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
Block Jalopnik at their corporate firewall, denying Jalopnik the ad revenue of their tens of employees with web access. And ban them from factory tours.
I would do so without or without the C7 images, simply based upon their morals. But the letter is hilarious.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:42 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

And make all Jalopnik employees pay MSRP or more when they buy a C7.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
And make all Jalopnik employees pay MSRP or more when they buy a C7.
Pretty sure GM un-friended Jalopnik back in November.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:54 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Pretty sure GM un-friended Jalopnik back in November.
No doubt. But Gm sells to dealers, and dealers sell to whoever has enough M.O.N.E.Y.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:06 PM
darkmercury
Le Mans Master

Now that the ... I guess this means no discounted Vettes for Omega employees!
Old 07-11-2012, 02:17 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I liked this part by Jalopnik...

We've respectfully declined given the video is up on YouTube and the images are newsworthy and a matter of public concern. You can see them all here.
The idea that the video is on YouTube or anywhere else is meaningless. I'm sure YouTube (as well as Corvette Online) has the same letter and they take videos down all the time.

The idea that the images are newsworthy or a matter of public concern would not trump "Posting the Illegal Content violates the Uniform Trade Secret Act ("UTSA") by misappropriating Omega's trade secrets".

Ultimately this letter only helps keep it all more prominent in the trade news as this video is all over the internet. The 'damage' is already done.

Anyone know where Corvette Online got the video originally??

Last edited by BlueOx; 07-11-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

They could get all copies of the full video expunged with DMCA aggression, but a couple of framecaps would be fair use if there was any commentary attached, no?
Old 07-11-2012, 02:23 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I liked this part by Jalopnik...

The idea that the video is on YouTube or anywhere else is meaningless. I'm sure YouTube (as well as Corvette Online) has the same letter and they take videos down all the time.

The idea that the images are newsworthy or a matter of public concern would not trump "Posting the Illegal Content violates the Uniform Trade Secret Act ("UTSA") by misappropriating Omega's trade secrets".

Ultimately this letter only helps keep it all more prominent in the trade news as this video is all over the internet.
I though that those "trade secrets" were voluntarily released by Omega Corp to the public. Shouldn't that trump any claim of secrecy?

What the heck was the purpose of that video, anyway?
Old 07-11-2012, 02:28 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I though that those "trade secrets" were voluntarily released by Omega Corp to the public. Shouldn't that trump any claim of secrecy?

Like I added to my message, I'd really like to know how Corvette Online got the original video. I doubt it was released to the public...on purpose. Then again, who knows?

I would think it was a quick piece done as part of a deeper presentation to GM and Omega Tool higher ups. Kind of the warm-up video piece before the hour long and far more detailed Powerpoint.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:35 PM
darkmercury
Le Mans Master

Vendors visit my job all the time showing capabilities and processes they can offer. This type video is what a vendor would show on-site while giving a presentation. NDA - non disclosure agreements are also used to keep sensitive product knowledge secret by legally stating you won't share it with anyone.
They don't email or provide links online to their videos! Somebody posted it and thought nobody would find it on Vimeo.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:03 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

In theory, it was meant to be a self-advertisement for Omega showing off how well they can mold complicated parts. They were also supposed to use a C6 front bumper instead of the C7 one that leaked. Then again, I'm not sure how someone can make such a mistake. So, who knows what the actual purpose was.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:44 PM
GM Fan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Even if they succeed in getting it off Jalopnik, pandora's box is open. No getting access to those images and video removed completely. Good luck wasting your time trying...
Old 07-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

I suspect it's a video they produced when they were designing and building the tools, and they intended it for very limited private use until C7 went public.

A lot of information disclosures occur simply because the rank and file don't have the technical acuity to do things securely, but are empowered by easy-to-use commercial technology.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Leak Omega Corp's lawyer letter to Jalopnik

Old 07-11-2012, 04:41 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Not to state the obvious or anything but, I assume that with all of this major league 'hoopla' surrounding these images/videos it kind of inadvertently (or advertently LOL) confirms that the nose and tail in question ARE in fact those of the 2014 Corvette.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:18 PM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was reading the letter, I also noticed in the comments below someone wrote "we didnt hear from GM as it would confirm that is what the nose looks like" or something like that. I wouldnt be surprised if GM will change the nose on a last minute option. I am sure they had alternate designs in the works. Or maybe GM leaked that nose for this reason and are laughing at all of us now! The possibilities are endless with this, as we will all know come January, 2013 what is what!

This is interesting to see how this unfolds, also that jalopnik is declining to remove the images because they are also available on youtube. I am not a lawyer but I dont think that has anything to do with it. I am sure whether they are on youtube or not they can still be held liable for posting them.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:28 PM
darkmercury
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by pTr73
I was reading the letter, I also noticed in the comments below someone wrote "we didnt hear from GM as it would confirm that is what the nose looks like" or something like that. I wouldnt be surprised if GM will change the nose on a last minute option. I am sure they had alternate designs in the works. Or maybe GM leaked that nose for this reason and are laughing at all of us now! The possibilities are endless with this, as we will all know come January, 2013 what is what!

This is interesting to see how this unfolds, also that jalopnik is declining to remove the images because they are also available on youtube. I am not a lawyer but I dont think that has anything to do with it. I am sure whether they are on youtube or not they can still be held liable for posting them.
The size and complexity of that tool would not allow last minute changes. Cutting steel and verification for production also takes extra time! Plus, GM will be creating assembly tools, fixtures, automation/robots, and designing worker training for production on their assembly line. We might be seeing an earlier tool or the real thing!

Quick Reply: C7 Leak Omega Corp's lawyer letter to Jalopnik