Sponsored by:

Are you going to buy a 2014 C7?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 05:16 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jb_va2001

And I think a lot of Jalopnik haters on CF are going to flip-flop after January when the Corvette marketing machine works magic and we start to see the professional C7 pictures & videos, the new C7 interior, cool new electronic features, and all the other advantages the Corvette team has built into the C7.
Speaking for myself, I'm not a 'Jalopnik hater' . . . I don't really know much about them at all, actually.

However, I am not fond of the rendering provided by Jalopnik, certainly as it pertains to the rear fascia. I hope it is inaccurate, but time will tell.

Heh, as far as the GM publicity machine changing my mind . . . Are you kidding?!? I make my decisions based on the steak, not the sizzle.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:16 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
Speaking for myself, I'm not a 'Jalopnik hater' . . . I don't really know much about them at all, actually.

However, I am not fond of the rendering provided by Jalopnik, certainly as it pertains to the rear fascia. I hope it is inaccurate, but time will tell.

Heh, as far as the GM publicity machine changing my mind . . . Are you kidding?!? I make my decisions based on the steak, not the sizzle.

I would still not buy a base C6. I don't like the look of the car. The design has grown on me a little since release but it just doesnt do anything for me. The GS/Z06 style is the only one I would consider spending the money for.

The current renderings do nothing for me.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by jb_va2001
After seeing the Omega video I'm sure Jalopnik got really close to the C7, if they didn't nail it outright.

And I think a lot of Jalopnik haters on CF are going to flip-flop after January when the Corvette marketing machine works magic and we start to see the professional C7 pictures & videos, the new C7 interior, cool new electronic features, and all the other advantages the Corvette team has built into the C7.

All in the details. If Jalopnik nailed it 100%, which I doubt, then there are some ugly details that will be hard to take. I'm guessing a few subtle details will be different and will break in the C7's favor. I have gone back and looked at my coffee-table books which had extensive C5 design evolution photos, including a lot of late "detail adjustments." In almost all cases, the choices made for the final C5 were for the best.

Under camo you'd never have known the difference between iterations so let's hope the designers got it right (because at this point it is 100% dialed in for better or worse) again...
Old 07-10-2012, 07:44 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,453 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom's GS
2 more years on my Grand Sport lease, by the time its up the new C7 will be next for me. I want dual clutch, paddle shifters and twin turbos! This time I want black, should look mean as hell!
Well, you'll likely be able to get 2 of the 4 (paddle shifters and black).
Old 07-10-2012, 08:00 PM
slant
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller
I'm a 3rd model year guy.

I'll be there for the 2017.
Same here.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I bought a C6, in the first year, despite not liking its looks as much as my C5. In fact I hated the headlights. I still think the front of a C5 looks faster and more exotic than a C6. In fact I still hate the C6 headlights.

I bought the C6 because it was a better car.

I will approach the C7 the same way.

The day may come when regulatory pressures are so great that the next Corvette isn't a better-built better-equipped better-performing car than the last Corvette, but we aren't there yet.

.Jinx
Old 07-10-2012, 09:46 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

I'll make my final determination after I see the REAL car.. If it's not much different from my C6 then no...
Old 07-11-2012, 04:08 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
The day may come when regulatory pressures are so great that the next Corvette isn't a better-built better-equipped better-performing car than the last Corvette, but we aren't there yet.
And as a devout (domestic performance) car guy, that is truly among some of my worst fears.
I try to imagine what many car guys might've felt back in 1970 (I was a mere child at the time LOL) with catalytic converters, low compression ratios and air pumps looming on the horizon and how we might be in a similar boat now.
The 430hp - 638hp Corvettes that we take for granted now might be mere pipe dreams just 5 short years from now.
Get it now while the gettins good...don't be like that guy back in the early '70s that said: "I'm going to pass on that 1970 Chevelle SS 454 LS6 and wait for the 1972 models because they'll be even more powerful and faster yet!" LOL
Old 07-11-2012, 08:12 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

I find it odd that so many people want to avoid buying the first year of a new model. That's what the warranty is for! Besides, the first year of the C5 and the first year of the C6 really wasn't that much different reliability wise. So why deny yourself the pleasure of owning the latest and greatest Corvette? If I had the money I'd be first in line to order a C7 as soon as possible! I love the idea of being the first on the block to own one! Part of the fun of owning a new Corvette is the attention you get, and you'll definitely get more attention owning a C7 in the first year than you will once they've been on the road for 2-3 years.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:26 AM
jazzlove
Melting Slicks

Location: San Antonio Texas - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've already put my money down on a 2013 Carrera S.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:30 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
And as a devout (domestic performance) car guy, that is truly among some of my worst fears.
I try to imagine what many car guys might've felt back in 1970 (I was a mere child at the time LOL) with catalytic converters, low compression ratios and air pumps looming on the horizon and how we might be in a similar boat now.
The 430hp - 638hp Corvettes that we take for granted now might be mere pipe dreams just 5 short years from now.
Get it now while the gettins good...don't be like that guy back in the early '70s that said: "I'm going to pass on that 1970 Chevelle SS 454 LS6 and wait for the 1972 models because they'll be even more powerful and faster yet!" LOL
That day will only come when, like in the 70's and 80's, car makers totally lack the will and imagination to engineer them correctly. For far too long, U.S. automakers sat on what laurels they had and really didn't feel they had to do much but add horsepower and new sheet metal every year.

Things are different now because they were dragged into doing more kicking and screaming by factors they couldn't control. Those factors included economy cars from Japan/Germany and the Arab oil embargo. This HELPED U.S. carmakers see that they had to jack up their engineering in ways they never had to before and the C6 is an amazing result of that. Think of it...a base Corvette...driven correctly, can get 30 mpg and yet, when driven correctly, can out-perform any stock 427 Corvette from the 'good old days'.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:40 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Patman
I find it odd that so many people want to avoid buying the first year of a new model. That's what the warranty is for! Besides, the first year of the C5 and the first year of the C6 really wasn't that much different reliability wise. So why deny yourself the pleasure of owning the latest and greatest Corvette? If I had the money I'd be first in line to order a C7 as soon as possible! I love the idea of being the first on the block to own one! Part of the fun of owning a new Corvette is the attention you get, and you'll definitely get more attention owning a C7 in the first year than you will once they've been on the road for 2-3 years.
Just beware of being among the first, the first year. Do a CF search using TSB #05-06-01-001D on the '05 C6 crank bolt issue. Very scary for the first 11039 C6 owners.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:43 AM
chaase
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Patman
Many people don't like the hassle of having to go to the dealer to have to deal with warranty issues. The other reason is that the last two generations of corvettes have had improvements made after a few years.

The C5 and C6 both got more power after a short time. There were more body styles available. The C5 got the MagRide suspension in '03.

Of all of the cars I have owned, I have only bought a first model year once. I have been very happy because it has been trouble free but it was a risk imho.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:43 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
Just beware of being among the first, the first year. Do a CF search using TSB #05-06-01-001D on the '05 C6 crank bolt issue. Very scary for the first 11039 C6 owners.
Just remember that bad things can happen in ANY year of ANY vehicle. It certainly isn't always a first year thing.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:17 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Just remember that bad things can happen in ANY year of ANY vehicle. It certainly isn't always a first year thing.
True, but before you comment you should read in CF how disappointed we very early C6 buyers were in how GM handled this particular issue. Do that search, please as I see your relatively new to CF.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:39 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

True, but before you comment you should read in CF how disappointed we very early C6 buyers were in how GM handled this particular issue. Do that search, please as I see your relatively new to CF.
I wasn't letting GM off the hook at all for it or anything else. My point was that people jump on '05s and yet there are plenty of issues with other years of cars.

More to the point, anyone looking at a used Vette of any year needs to do a lot of research into that particular car. And just because people had some major problems with the first year of the C6 doesn't mean there will be major problems with the first year of the C7.

Lots of people know a lot about the Corvette without ever having been on CF. There are lots of Vette sites and other internet resources. I researched and bought my used '05 over a year before I first visited CF and I knew about this issue when I bought it. That said, I wouldn't be here in CF if I didn't find it a great resource!

Fortunately, I've never had any major problems with mine...knock on wood!

Last edited by BlueOx; 07-11-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:04 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

BlueOx, your informed research before you bought your used '05 C6 is how everyone should approach buying a sports car. And this thread is specifically about what to consider before being among the first to spring for a first year C7, especially the early run. I'm only trying to inform the unaware.

I will wait a little longer and hope to buy a '14 C7 over the winter when major problems should be identified with what we suspect will be a new motor and maybe other parts of the drive system, suspension. The prices may even be more civil by then as well.

So what was your '05 C6 VIN, >11039???? If not, had it been repaired or done proactively before needing to?

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 07-11-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Are you going to buy a 2014 C7?

Old 07-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

I'm here for the C7. I'll be a first year buyer (mid-year) IF:

(1) The design suits my taste
(2) Horror stories haven't filled CF
(3) I can get the price I want
Old 07-11-2012, 10:47 AM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A bit oif history

Originally Posted by BlueOx
That day will only come when, like in the 70's and 80's, car makers totally lack the will and imagination to engineer them correctly. For far too long, U.S. automakers sat on what laurels they had and really didn't feel they had to do much but add horsepower and new sheet metal every year.

Things are different now because they were dragged into doing more kicking and screaming by factors they couldn't control. Those factors included economy cars from Japan/Germany and the Arab oil embargo. This HELPED U.S. carmakers see that they had to jack up their engineering in ways they never had to before and the C6 is an amazing result of that. Think of it...a base Corvette...driven correctly, can get 30 mpg and yet, when driven correctly, can out-perform any stock 427 Corvette from the 'good old days'.
Right after WWII, there was meeting held in Detroit which was chaired by the then engineering head of one of the Big Three. The purpose was to examine the results of folks having to keep their cars longer than normal due to the war. The conclusion was that Detroit was putting too much quality in the cars and the cars were lasting too long. A delibert decision was made to cut back the quality so that cars wouldn't last longer than 40,000 before requiring major repairs. The desire was to get the car owner to trade every three (3) years.

The success of the Japan came after Japan, adopted quality control measures, espically those advocated by Deming. One interesting story is that Toyota offered Shelby all the SW. He turned it down on the advise of a Detroit exec who said the Falcon would run Japan back into the ocean.

All of which says competiton is good.

I love that the Viper is back. I wish Ford was producing the GR-1.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:56 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

BlueOx, your informed research before you bought your used '05 C6 is how everyone should approach buying a sports car. And this thread is specifically about what to consider before being among the first to spring for a first year C7, especially the early run. I'm only trying to inform the unaware.

I will wait a little longer and hope to buy a '14 C7 over the winter when major problems should be identified with what we suspect will be a new motor and maybe other parts of the drive system, suspension. The prices may even be more civil by then as well.

So what was your '05 C6 VIN, >11039???? If not, had it been repaired or done proactively before needing to?
It is >11039. I'd have to go back and look at my records but I do know there was a flywheel replacement done to it before I bought it but that is all I remember. It might have even been done before it was sold. It certainly had to have been done under warranty.

I had one of the minor recall things done but I wasn't having any problems at all with it.

Quick Reply: Are you going to buy a 2014 C7?