Sponsored by:

Talked to someone from GM...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 11:04 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
That isn't what I asked. I asked if you'd buy a GT500. I'll take your silence as "no I wouldn't actually buy one."

It shouldn't be a jump off point unless it steals real sales from a Corvette. By your own inaction it won't.

Sure, there are some people who say they'd buy a Corvette only if it'll spank the fastest Mustang, but when they admit they'd never have bought the Mustang, what they're really saying is they weren't really in the market for a new sports car at all. I think Corvette will survive without chasing those few bench-racing sideliners. In fact it'll be better for it.

.Jinx
what? what fool would commit to buying a car 6-12 months out? the best I can tell you is that if the c7 has 450hp it's going to get spanked by gt500 right out of the gate and then other cars will start taking it to task. most likely the next revision of the camaro, the next gen cts-v which is soon, maybe the supra since its rumored 400+hp and awd. it could end up being 3rd our 4th on people's lists.

the c5 was dominant when it came out, the same with the c6. at 450hp the c7 will unquestionably not be dominant. The more I think about it the more sure I am at a base of 500 and a zr1 around 700. can't wait to dish out the crow.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:56 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by gatti-man
what? what fool would commit to buying a car 6-12 months out? the best I can tell you is that if the c7 has 450hp it's going to get spanked by gt500 right out of the gate and then other cars will start taking it to task. most likely the next revision of the camaro, the next gen cts-v which is soon,imaybe the supra since its rumored 400+hp and awd.it could end up being 3rd our 4th on people's lists.

the c5 was dominant when it came out, the same with the c6. at 450hp the c7 will unquestionably not be dominant. The more I think about it the more sure I am at a base of 500 and a zr1 around 700. can't wait to dish out the crow.
: You'd buy a 3.5L V6 Hybrid 2+2 that will be RWD, not AWD, and is only just over 400hp. and priced like a GT-R? I doubt it. And it is as fugly as the Gt-R

Motortrend - "According to our man in Japan Peter Lyon, Toyota R&D is working on a Supra successor that is being tested with a 3.5-liter V-6 hybrid system generating over 400 hp. Rumored to be wearing a design close to the FT-HS concept’s body (pictured below) revealed at the 2007 Detroit show, the rear-drive coupe is expected to target the Nissan GT-R in terms of performance and price."
Old 06-24-2012, 12:27 AM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

what? what fool would commit to buying a car 6-12 months out? the best I can tell you is that if the c7 has 450hp it's going to get spanked by gt500 right out of the gate and then other cars will start taking it to task. most likely the next revision of the camaro, the next gen cts-v which is soon, maybe the supra since its rumored 400+hp and awd. it could end up being 3rd our 4th on people's lists.

This fool made the decision last year.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:32 AM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
True, but the LS2 is also slower than the C5Z and the C5Z's power was very controllable. In comparison, 500HP isn't that controllable to significantly more drives than drives that can control it. More to the point, lots of people returned their C6Zs within a week or two of purchase.

Now think about who buys the base Vettes and who buys the Z06s. A lot of husbands buy their wives Corvettes.

I really don't think many of you put that much thought into WHO buys the base Corvettes and who buys the performance Vettes.

Again, who cares about what kind of power the Shelby makes? It's not a Corvette. It can't handle worth a damn. It can't put the power down. They raise the power levels to show numbers... That's all. It's a pissing content. WE'RE (HOPEFULLY) ABOVE THAT!

I'd rather my car be fast and controllable than my car be loud and handle like crap. Because that's all the Shelby is. It's a show car. "Look I have a lot of power and can spin my tires round and round and round without ever going anywhere. Aren't I cool?"

I'd rather say, "Look, I have 200HP less than you and I'm still faster."

Exactly. If you want a car to pop the hood at car shows, go buy a GT500. If you want a car that's fun to drive because it's fast and handles like it's on rails, buy a Corvette.

End of story.
I have both and the Z51 LS2 is basically the same giving up very little to the C5Z.

If the C7 base is only marginally slower than a C6Z I'd be very happy.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:40 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by z edge
well the LS1 to LS2 was + 50 HP from 2004 to 2005
True, and also a full 30hp (or even 36hp) jump even within the very same generation (C6 LS2 to C6 LS3) too.

the c5 was dominant when it came out, the same with the c6. at 450hp the c7 will unquestionably not be dominant.
At what weight though?
If you mean the current (3200+ pounds) weight with only 450hp then you may be correct, that may not cut it.
But if the car comes in at 2900 or even 3000 pounds on the nose that "mere" 450hp will kick some *** for sure.
My point is, when talking about power you can't actually determine how fast or slow a car might be without also mentioning/focusing on weight (and gearing).
Old 06-24-2012, 02:33 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default Increments?

Originally Posted by chaase
I don't think 450hp would not be enough for me to sell my C5 and move to a C7 unless the C7 is just stunning and has an amazing interior. 475hp would be a better spot, 500hp would be great.
Maybe it will start at 450 and then keep bumping it up until it gets to 475(base)
Old 06-24-2012, 02:38 AM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
True, and also a full 30hp (or even 36hp) jump even within the very same generation (C6 LS2 to C6 LS3) too.

At what weight though?
If you mean the current (3200+ pounds) weight with only 450hp then you may be correct, that may not cut it.
But if the car comes in at 2900 or even 3000 pounds on the nose that "mere" 450hp will kick some *** for sure.
My point is, when talking about power you can't actually determine how fast or slow a car might be without also mentioning/focusing on weight (and gearing).
3100lbs. Its not going to be lighter and in fact with interior improvements mixed with a lighter frame i bet the c7 is about the same weight as the c6. 2900lbs would be amazing and unfeasable.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:40 AM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WildVettes
This fool made the decision last year.
You dont even know the specs or what it looks like. Whatever floats your boat. I tend to buy whats best on the market for a road car at the time im makimg the purchase.

The c7 needs to put up 11-11.5 1/4 time stock. Saying marginally slower than a z06 is nebulous since the times are all over the place and the z06 has gotten slower over the years as it gains weight.

Last edited by gatti-man; 06-24-2012 at 02:43 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:45 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

3100lbs. Its not going to be lighter
Lighter than that will be difficult to achieve based on budget/cost constraints and mandatory safety requirements/crash standards. But 3100 even is probably attainable.

in fact with interior improvements mixed with a lighter frame i bet the c7 is about the same weight as the c6
Possibly...but even with some of that added in I don't think it has to weigh as much as the current car if they work hard enough at avoiding that (again still within those cost constraints of course).
Old 06-24-2012, 04:04 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

the best I can tell you is that if the c7 has 450hp it's going to get spanked by gt500 right out of the gate and then other cars will start taking it to task.
Because one point makes a line.

And you will forever be waiting six months for the next thing to come out.

The more I think about it the more sure I am at a base of 500 and a zr1 around 700. can't wait to dish out the crow.
It doesn't have to have that much power to be successful. This is what you and a few other Chicken Little Horsepowers don't understand.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:45 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by svt2z06
There is just one thing I have to say about this thread...

"LOOK AROUND PEOPLE"

Did you see Ford reduce the size of the mustang motor and marginalize the hp output? NO (the GT went from a 4.6 to 5.0 motor adding nearly 100 hp and the cobra went from 5.4 to 5.8 adding 112 hp!!)
You're right. During the last two makeovers, Ford kept the essentially the same engine, and came up with either no HP increase (2009), or 10% more power (2006). The Mustang GT is not the Mustang.

Remember, Mustang GT <> Corvette.... Mustang = Corvette when you're talking about models. The base Corvette needs to appeal to the widest demographics - so a new body style, better economy, and similar performance will sell more cars than increases in HP. For the performance model Vettes (Z06, ZR1), higher HP will be the key.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:33 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

nt05s are plenty good for a street tire. the car just came out and you are gauging it against 6 years of 1/4 z06 times? lol ok talking to you is pointless.
Um... what? What the hell does it matter if the car came out today or 10 years ago? You think that people haven't had enough seat time with the car? That's not only a bad excuse, it's all-together invalid.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1562974169-post219.html
This is a 2006 Z06 and this time was submitted in 2007. It's the FASTEST Z06 run on the C6Z fast list for bone stock cars. The car has been out for 6 years now (almost 7) and nobody has topped that track time even with all this time to have practiced. If you're a good driver it doesn't take 6 years to get a new car down the track at it's fastest. It takes skill. I'm sure they've put real skilled drivers in the seats of these Shelbys and NOBODY is running into the 10s with them bone stock. Nobody.

A C6Z is faster on the strip with 145 HP less and it's not geared for that kind of racing. That's saying a lot. Even a bone stock C5Z with 245 HP less can get into the 11's. And that's a 9 year old car at a minimum!

I took my 2003 Z06 stock other than a short shifter to the track for the first time and after 5 passes I went from 12.9xx (my first run) to 12.6xx (5th run). It didn't take long to understand the car. It just takes some skill. Before this trip, I'd never driven a Corvette down the drag strip.

Your point is invalid.

Which brings me back to my original point: The Shelby GT500 is just a pissing contest car about who can say they have the most power. But it's pointless if you can't use it. It's like having a 50cal sniper rifle with a trigger lock and no key. And the next day your friend shows up with an M1 Abrams Tank and has no fuel.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:35 AM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by TBIRD57
Maybe it will start at 450 and then keep bumping it up until it gets to 475(base)
I would wait until it got to that point. I have a 500hp C5 and I like that power level.

However, If the engine is a 6.2L DI like I have heard before and another poster mentioned, 475hp should be a cake walk. The 3.6L DI caddy engine makes 318hp. A pure, linear adjustment would put a 6.2L motor at 547hp. If scaling is not linear, 475-500 will be easily possible.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:13 AM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

the best I can tell you is that if the c7 has 450hp it's going to get spanked by gt500 right out of the gate...
How do you figure? And what makes you still think that horsepower is everything? My sister has a '10 Equinox 4 cylinder, yeah? Despite only having ~180hp, it is a quick little sucker, all because the transmission has been set up well. A transmission, among other things, can make a world of difference. No use having all that power if lower power means a more balanced car.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:26 AM
ockie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$10 says that the HP rating will be 470. That is the proposed ATS-V's V8 power plant. If they increase efficiency, increase metrics, and reduce weight.... they should come close to C6 Z06 numbers... which is pretty much what they did with the C6 vs the C5 generation.

Apparently they are working on a XLR generation of the C7, so I think a lot of people with some insight may get the two mixed up. Either way, I can't say how I know this information and I also can't say how credible it is... but lets just say that when you are at the right bars and get people drunk enough, they tend to talk easier.

Last edited by ockie; 06-25-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:29 AM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by redvette77
How do you figure? And what makes you still think that horsepower is everything? My sister has a '10 Equinox 4 cylinder, yeah? Despite only having ~180hp, it is a quick little sucker, all because the transmission has been set up well. A transmission, among other things, can make a world of difference. No use having all that power if lower power means a more balanced car.
Quicker and more balanced? Maybe. Slower? Yes.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:38 AM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by ockie
I can't say how I know this information and I also can't say how credible it is... but lets just say that when you are at the right bars and get people drunk enough, they tend to talk easier.
That all depends on how credible their information is when they are sober.

Slower? Yes.
You don't know that. What makes you think it will be slower?

Last edited by BluegrassMotorsport; 06-26-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Talked to someone from GM...

Old 06-26-2012, 10:49 AM
RickConti@Coughlin
Safety Car

Received 1,554 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by ZimC5
...yesterday at Bloomington Gold.

5.5L, 450hp range
NO V6
Long, thin, LED lights along the fender, Cadillac like
Possible split window option
Some retro design cues
yes on the LED lights
http://www.corvetteconti.com/blog/?p=15474
Old 06-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I don't see a return of the XLR on the Corvette platform. I am reminded of the current SRX's press debut, when someone asked why they didn't base it on a RWD chassis, and the Cadillac rep answered, "we already tried that."
Old 06-26-2012, 01:00 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
I don't see a return of the XLR on the Corvette platform. I am reminded of the current SRX's press debut, when someone asked why they didn't base it on a RWD chassis, and the Cadillac rep answered, "we already tried that."
Yeah, they tried it, but . . . It seemed to me to be an over-the-top caricature of a C6. Granted it was basically a C6, but the styling and accoutrements were . . . a bit much. I preferred the purity of the C6 body shell, and would have liked a bit more attention to the interior, especially the skins.

Too bad the XLR didn't catch on. I bet they are fairly pricey on the used-- I mean, "previously abused" market.

Quick Reply: Talked to someone from GM...