Sponsored by:

From Popular Mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 05:42 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default From Popular Mechanics

Don't know if this exact quote was ever posted before, but this is from a new Yahoo article on 12 upcoming cars to watch for. Noting new here, but I found the "inspiration from Camaro" part to be disturbing.

"We know more about the next Vette than we did just a few months ago. Gone are thoughts of a split rear window, a turbocharged V-6, or a midengine design. It now appears that the C7 will debut at this coming winter's North American auto show in Detroit with a 5.5-liter V-8 that still uses pushrods. However, thanks to direct injection and higher compression, it's reasonable to expect the new Corvette to put out 440 hp, so it could match or best the outgoing 6.0-liter"

The car will be visually arresting for certain. Inspiration will come at least in part from the present Camaro. One sure bet—GM will finally, praise heaven, give its $50,000 Ferrari slayer an interior that's gorgeous, and with seats that hold the driver comfortably on track day."

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/12-more-....html?page=all

Last edited by JLinCA; 05-12-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Chad97z
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I saw that too..

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/12-more-...or.html?page=9

"Chevrolet Corvette C7
When: Fall 2013
How Much: $50,000 and up

We know more about the next Vette than we did just a few months ago. Gone are thoughts of a split rear window, a turbocharged V-6, or a midengine design. It now appears that the C7 will debut at this coming winter's North American auto show in Detroit with a 5.5-liter V-8 that still uses pushrods. However, thanks to direct injection and higher compression, it's reasonable to expect the new Corvette to put out 440 hp, so it could match or best the outgoing 6.0-liter.

The car will be visually arresting for certain. Inspiration will come at least in part from the present Camaro. One sure bet—GM will finally, praise heaven, give its $50,000 Ferrari slayer an interior that's gorgeous, and with seats that hold the driver comfortably on track day." Popular Mechanics 2012

Last edited by Chad97z; 05-12-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I refuse to be concerned about what some Yahoo wrote.

Unless some GM exec or Corvette team rep or press release says something like that, it means nothing.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:22 PM
Chad97z
Advanced

If that car is the plain jane version, then I wonder what the Z06 will be like? haha
Old 05-12-2012, 06:22 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

We will find out in 7 months and counting.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Chad97z
Advanced

or later
Old 05-12-2012, 06:35 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chad97z
If that car is the plain jane version, then I wonder what the Z06 will be like? haha
Everyone knows that is not going to be the C7. I don't know why these writers keep including that photo.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:41 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=JLinNY;1580796024]Everyone knows that is not going to be the C7. I don't know why these writers keep including that photo.[/QUOTE]

That's easy: They want to sell magazines. Most of the public will be easily duped. I imagine the folks on the CF are way more savvy than the general public.

Unfortunately, we still don't know squat.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by JLinNY
I don't know why these writers keep including that photo.
That article was probably written six months ago, and repurposed multiple times.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:16 PM
BobRBob
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

That car has a seriously ugly *** end. Almost makes the Jalopnot look good.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

"Gone are thoughts of a split rear window..."

And of course their image shows a split rear window. No need for Popular Mechanics text and graphics to agree, I guess.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:21 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Popular Mechanics got their rumors from reading CF. Hear the internet echo?

Cheers,
JB
Old 05-13-2012, 02:35 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
That article was probably written six months ago, and repurposed multiple times.

And this is how we know that it is old info, using terms such as "appears", "5.5L", "440hp" etc just screams: "well, we really don't know but some speculators who at least sounded like they actually knew something mentioned this stuff once so we printed it" LOL.
"It now appears that the C7 will debut at this coming winter's North American auto show in Detroit with a 5.5-liter V-8 that still uses pushrods. However, thanks to direct injection and higher compression, it's reasonable to expect the new Corvette to put out 440 hp, so it could match or best the outgoing 6.0-liter"
Old 05-13-2012, 03:10 AM
JLinCA
Drifting

Originally Posted by BobRBob
That car has a seriously ugly *** end. Almost makes the Jalopnot look good.
I love the Stingray concept, but even though I am not crazy about the rear I would take it over the Jalopy rendering rear.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:11 AM
JLinCA
Drifting

Originally Posted by LS1LT1

And this is how we know that it is old info, using terms such as "appears", "5.5L", "440hp" etc just screams: "well, we really don't know but some speculators who at least sounded like they actually knew something mentioned this stuff once so we printed it" LOL.
Hey LS, I was wondering when you were going to drop in
Old 05-13-2012, 08:08 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

I love the Stingray concept, but even though I am not crazy about the rear I would take it over the Jalopy rendering rear.
somewhat. I really like the smaller cove area located lower on the side of the C7 concept illustrated in post #2. It helps exaggerate the front fender bugle higher than it may actually be compared to a C6. Suttle but a big change.

As for the rear it is just the opposite to me. I like the attempt but it's proportions are too exaggerated with center area jutting too far out. Push that in so the rear looking from the side is more on a plane I think it will look better. Now make the two rear light covers a slightly larger triangle with two round traditional lights underneath that show when they are lit would introduce a new look but retain tradition.

As for the split window, I like it especially since today's camera technology makes the issue of a blind spot go away. With a little technical design a camera screen could even replace a rear view mirror. My Taurus has a rear view mirror with a one inch screen and a camera mounted low on the trunk that is really nice and may be required in all cars of the future. For a split window C7 I would make the entire rear view mirror a video screen that has distance reticles shown optionally in the view to help gauge distances. Auto dimming should be included with maybe a button on the steering wheel to change the view from normal to wide angle to cover side blind spots. Even a second camera could be just above the license plate for those backing up views. Small cameras today don't need a large wart but I would still mount it up high as shown above. Cost wise, I would gladly give some thing else up. It's time for the future. Oh, and when the cameras are off the rear view mirror shows a normal reflection in the Taurus.

I don't like the C7 concept lights in front but prefer to see a sigficant change from the C6, just not so dramatic. Please, no pop-ups!

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 05-13-2012 at 08:27 AM. Reason: add more comment
Old 05-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Parker Corvette
Pro

LS1LT1 was trolling again in the early morning. Who is the real trool? Most posters on here are trools.

Get notified of new replies

To From Popular Mechanics

Old 05-13-2012, 02:11 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
somewhat. I really like the smaller cove area located lower on the side of the C7 concept illustrated in post #2. It helps exaggerate the front fender bugle higher than it may actually be compared to a C6. Suttle but a big change.

As for the rear it is just the opposite to me. I like the attempt but it's proportions are too exaggerated with center area jutting too far out. Push that in so the rear looking from the side is more on a plane I think it will look better. Now make the two rear light covers a slightly larger triangle with two round traditional lights underneath that show when they are lit would introduce a new look but retain tradition.

As for the split window, I like it especially since today's camera technology makes the issue of a blind spot go away. With a little technical design a camera screen could even replace a rear view mirror. My Taurus has a rear view mirror with a one inch screen and a camera mounted low on the trunk that is really nice and may be required in all cars of the future. For a split window C7 I would make the entire rear view mirror a video screen that has distance reticles shown optionally in the view to help gauge distances. Auto dimming should be included with maybe a button on the steering wheel to change the view from normal to wide angle to cover side blind spots. Even a second camera could be just above the license plate for those backing up views. Small cameras today don't need a large wart but I would still mount it up high as shown above. Cost wise, I would gladly give some thing else up. It's time for the future. Oh, and when the cameras are off the rear view mirror shows a normal reflection in the Taurus.

I don't like the C7 concept lights in front but prefer to see a sigficant change from the C6, just not so dramatic. Please, no pop-ups!
Now that you mention it, that's an interesting point. I like the back-up cam concept, and have used it on a friend's Altima. But don't forget, the split window blind spot(s) will still be there for normal driving, changing lanes, etc. It could be overcome with technology, but in reality, it's a styling anomaly that creates more problems than it solves.

I sure like to look at them, though.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:35 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
Now that you mention it, that's an interesting point. I like the back-up cam concept, and have used it on a friend's Altima. But don't forget, the split window blind spot(s) will still be there for normal driving, changing lanes, etc. It could be overcome with technology, but in reality, it's a styling anomaly that creates more problems than it solves.

I sure like to look at them, though.
CF's old farts and technophobes will recoil in horror, but we've reached the point where the rear and side view mirrors could easily be a video screen with a better view than the C6 mirrors provide. They would automatically and instantly adjust for brightness. The technology today weighs little and could double as a backup camera making the car safer than the beeping sensors in the bumpers some still use.

Cheers,
JB
Old 05-13-2012, 07:56 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by jb_va2001
CF's old farts and technophobes will recoil in horror, but we've reached the point where the rear and side view mirrors could easily be a video screen with a better view than the C6 mirrors provide. They would automatically and instantly adjust for brightness. The technology today weighs little and could double as a backup camera making the car safer than the beeping sensors in the bumpers some still use.

Cheers,
JB
How old does one need to be to be an "old fart". I may just qualify. However, I no not recoil in horror at your suggestion. I do question the quality of the view of a backup camera, and therefore a sinilar tech for the side view mirrors. We have a Buick Enclave with the back-up camera. In some ways it is better than a mirror or looking back, and I have some systems that give better "guides". owever, the resolution is iffy, and when backing into the sun, it can be close to useless.

I worry that sideview mirrors might be similarly overwhelmed. I am not saying it is not possible to cope with such thigs, just that I have not seen it in an automotive installation.

Quick Reply: From Popular Mechanics