Peter DeLorenzo chats with Ed Welburn on C7

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:33 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Default Peter DeLorenzo chats with Ed Welburn on C7

"Ed Welburn. Editor-in-Chief's Note: I was chatting with GM Design's Ed Welburn about the biz when the conversation inevitably turned to the next-generation Corvette. Ed said, "It's the first tome in history that the director of GM Design and the Chief Engineer of the Corvette have not clashed over a new Corvette." That's not only our AE Quote of the Week, it's historically significant. GM's design directors and Corvette chief engineers have battled for decades, the most famous clash being the one between Bill Mitchell, who insisted on the split window backlight on the '63 Sting Ray coupe, and Zora Arkus-Duntov who vehemently despised it. Mitchell won that battle, then Zora won the next year, when it was removed from the coupe in '64. The fact that GM design and Corvette engineering are in agreement on the C7 is a big deal. We'll see how good it is when it's unveiled. - PMD"

It will be interesting to see how well the result turns out between this non confrontational co-operation between GM Design and Corvette Chief Engineer.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:40 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

For some reason (not really sure why, maybe it's the new Impala reveal or maybe even the new Viper?) I'm really confident that the Corvette C7 is going to truly knock it outta the park, I'm hopeful for it at least.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:47 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,457 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Mitchell and Duntov were passionate. Sometimes passion and a platform having an outspoken champion is a good thing.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:47 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Mitchell and Duntov were passionate. Sometimes passion and a platform having an outspoken champion is a good thing.

I see NO passion during these days of cars and the designs reflect it. Both the design and engineers (engine) are held by senior management on a very tight leash. Unlike the fifties and sixties, federal and state laws have severly limited what design and engineering can be performed, approved and built. So this has killed much of that passion that is know ledgend during those times. Today its all about regulations, and the bottom line, not about artistic expression and true performance. That is one reason you see so many concept cars that look great, and by the time they make it to the salesfloor its years later and they have changed. In some cased it has hurt their sales, for example the SSR, if that was built when it was release as a concept, and stayed true to the design (fenders changed alot), it would have sold more units. It took over five years from time of concept to release. So its a different world, of course they agreed, why wouldn't they? That is why I am not expect too much from the C7 as far as exterior design, still say it will be the interior and engine performance that will be the most radical.

Last edited by 1KULC7; 04-04-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:06 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by EBVette
That is why I am not expect too much from the C7 as far as exterior design, still say it will be the interior and engine performance that will be the most radical.
But that's ok as well, Porsche and even BMW have made a huge point/habit out of doing that very same thing...fewer changes on the outside but significant changes on the inside, and it's worked well for them.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:22 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by prinzSD455
"Ed Welburn. Editor-in-Chief's Note: I was chatting with GM Design's Ed Welburn about the biz when the conversation inevitably turned to the next-generation Corvette. Ed said, "It's the first tome in history that the director of GM Design and the Chief Engineer of the Corvette have not clashed over a new Corvette." That's not only our AE Quote of the Week, it's historically significant. GM's design directors and Corvette chief engineers have battled for decades, the most famous clash being the one between Bill Mitchell, who insisted on the split window backlight on the '63 Sting Ray coupe, and Zora Arkus-Duntov who vehemently despised it. Mitchell won that battle, then Zora won the next year, when it was removed from the coupe in '64. The fact that GM design and Corvette engineering are in agreement on the C7 is a big deal. We'll see how good it is when it's unveiled. - PMD"

It will be interesting to see how well the result turns out between this non confrontational co-operation between GM Design and Corvette Chief Engineer.
So the clashing took place over C5 which was a departure from the old layout, very little clashing over C6 since it is essentially just a rebodied C5 and no clashing over C7 at all due to changing only a few body panels to disguise it is still C6?
Old 04-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I wonder if it's as simple as engineering being in a position of strength. Since C7 is not a complete reinvention but a refinement of the C6 platform, there isn't a lot that GM Design can ask for -- the hard points are pretty much set.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:13 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EBVette
I see NO passion during these days of cars and the designs reflect it.
You gotta be kiddin' me. I see some of the most fantastic examples of automotive passion right now vs the old days. Some of you older guys just are stuck in the past.

We are in the real golden age of autos IMHO. Look at all the competition out there and the fighting between competitors. Performance overall is at an ALL TIME HIGH, yet they continue to push the envelope.

Take a look at some of the technologies being used like the Ferrari FF's AWD system which is nothing short of AMAZING. Take a look at the new Lambo Aventador spyder...

Even the new Mustang and Camaro have very passionate design and goals.

Last edited by BlueOx; 04-04-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:23 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

No passion?

How about the current Mustang and Camaro?
The Cadillac CTS-V Wagon?
The Jaguar XJ?
The Mercedes CLS?
The Hyundai Veloster? Hell, any current Hyundai?
The Nissan Leaf?
The Ford Focus?
The Viper unveiled today?

Sit next to the designers of any of these automobiles in a bar, and tell them they have no passion. I bet they give you an immediate percussive expression of their passion.

.Jinx
Old 04-04-2012, 09:24 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

My concern about sports car styling is that the laws of aerodynamics and CAD software will produce similar looking cars from many manufacturers. In the struggle for performance and fuel efficiency we will ultimately have lost the distinctive looking cars we all enjoy.

Cheers,
JB
Old 04-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

I think the vagaries of automotive fashion and manufacturing technologies do more to make sports cars look alike than aerodynamics. (Witness "flame surfacing.") But they don't look that much alike, any more than all cars from any particular era look alike.

Despite having a pretty firm grasp of basic aerodynamics for a couple of decades, we still have things as distinct as the Viper, the GT-R, the 911, and the 458.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:47 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

General Motors have been hitting ***** out of the park, one right after the other, in terms of design lately. They have especially improved in the area of interiors, which is possibly the most anticipated aspect of the C7. I have no reason to believe that the C7 will be anything short of a major improvement and an outstanding vehicle. I have hated seeing such pessimism in threads the past few weeks. All we can do it wait and wait with confidence. I truly think it is going to be amazing.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:04 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

The C6 Vette (drag coefficient - 0.28) still has better aerodynamics than the new Viper (drag coefficient - 0.36). One can only imagine the C7 will improve that.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:07 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BlueOx
The C6 Vette (drag coefficient - 0.28) still has better aerodynamics than the new Viper (drag coefficient - 0.36). One can only imagine the C7 will improve that.
No, it does not. You cite Cd of the base car, Z06 and ZR1 are right on par with the Viper.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:13 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Not at all incorrect. It is the Corvette design. You want to talk about the Z06...the brand new Viper finally matches a 6 yr old Corvette design...wohoo!
Old 04-04-2012, 10:22 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by redvette77
General Motors have been hitting ***** out of the park, one right after the other, in terms of design lately. They have especially improved in the area of interiors, which is possibly the most anticipated aspect of the C7. I have no reason to believe that the C7 will be anything short of a major improvement and an outstanding vehicle. I have hated seeing such pessimism in threads the past few weeks. All we can do it wait and wait with confidence. I truly think it is going to be amazing.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:29 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
right, like the interior of camaro, LOL... GM is on the roll alright, downhill

Get notified of new replies

To Peter DeLorenzo chats with Ed Welburn on C7

Old 04-04-2012, 10:31 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Not at all incorrect. It is the Corvette design. You want to talk about the Z06...the brand new Viper finally matches a 6 yr old Corvette design...wohoo!
it is incorrect, no matter how many threads you post it in
Old 04-04-2012, 10:38 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by petermj
it is incorrect, no matter how many threads you post it in
In 2005 what was the drag coefficient of a Viper? In 2005, what was the drag coefficient of a Corvette?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:55 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by petermj
GM is on the roll alright, downhill
So basically, you don't like GM or any of it's offerings past or present, correct?
And yet you own Corvettes and are still here discussing Corvettes why?

Apparently, there is a much finer line between logic/reasoning and insanity than we realize LOL.

Quick Reply: Peter DeLorenzo chats with Ed Welburn on C7