Peter DeLorenzo chats with Ed Welburn on C7

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 02:37 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitrous Oxide
The Z4 M Coupe is cool.

On the Z3 I preferred the Roadster. But on the Z4, the Coupe is the clear winner in my view.
Z3 coupe is love or hate from everyone I've talked to. I'm apparently the only guy on the fence about it, but prefer it over the vert. Then again I really have no interest in verts usually. Guy has one that must work at local shopping center. See it all the time, other then wheel change, love the car.

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Satchel Page (the young guys will have to look him up....) said:

Age is just an issue of mind over matter -

If you don't mind,

It don't matter!

Why is it that some young guys trying to feel better about themselves use age as a crutch?
I know you said some young guys, but thats completely an equal opportunitys club. Just as many youngs guys say "pops you dont get it" when they like total fads/junk as old guys say "kids today dont know whats good" in reference to things that went away for a reason/junk. Ironically, and this is not a direct attack at you, Harley is a pretty clear example of that. It HAS to be fueld by the 40+ crowd, if not older. They make meh engines vs competition. As a total, balanced package(didnt chase most hp, most rpms, giant torque, live fast die young ideals) the Revolution engine is the only one thats worth anything, the 110ci if you can put up with its problems. Bikes are beautiful still, but their buyer base/management will run the company into the ground within 5 years. They cant beat the EPA, they are still under the impression they can.

Originally Posted by redvette77
Then why do you bother posting on a General Motors forum?
I dunno, he ninja deleted his post about should he post on a Subaru forum. I think he should, anywhere but here honestly, hes having such buyers remorse its mind numbing. Sell them, be done, and move on.

And last but not least EBvette. I see you deleted your post as well. However, the irony of that post was astounding. The only classic car I believe I saw was an award winning 63 vette. Everything else was fairly new. I forget what cars you posted, but to say any of them had a hint of styling compared to the cars I posted is laughable. More importantly though, if the cars of yester-decade looked so great, why do you only have such modern cars? Even whatever truck you posted, I'm currently helping my dad start restoring an old Ford truck. With a c6trans(need to find), 9" rear, and slightly touched up 460, there isnt much it wont be able to tow if thats your reason for owning a truck. Yet other then the vette, I think you only posted cars from late 90's and newer. Plenty of cheap, comfy, older cars out there that would serve you well it seems? Not trying to be a jerk, but it seems you bash something cause you know best, yet you dont own anything different?
Old 04-05-2012, 02:51 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1

Ironically, and this is not a direct attack at you, Harley is a pretty clear example of that. It HAS to be fueld by the 40+ crowd, if not older. They make meh engines vs competition. As a total, balanced package(didnt chase most hp, most rpms, giant torque, live fast die young ideals) the Revolution engine is the only one thats worth anything, the 110ci if you can put up with its problems. Bikes are beautiful still, but their buyer base/management will run the company into the ground within 5 years. They cant beat the EPA, they are still under the impression they can.
Hmmm - seems like maybe it's you who are stuck in the past, at least with regards to your knowledge/(mis)impressions of Harley's engines and engineering progress.
Ever heard of/seen/ridden a "new" (7 years now, I think) VRod powered Harley? OHC, fuel injected, water cooled, 110 HP (IIRC), meets all EPA specs present and future. Admittedly they did contract with Porsche for engineering design help, but the product is far from what you think you know.
They're adding that engine to a new bike every year or two, and phasing in a parallel line. Future could be a complete transition when/if required.

Kinda like Porsche's transition from air to water cooled, huh?

Are old Porsche's not cool just cuz they're air cooled..........?

Last edited by tuxnharley; 04-05-2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-05-2012, 03:00 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm - seems like maybe it's you who are stuck in the past, at least with regards to your knowledge/(mis)impressions of Harley's engines and engineering progress.
Ever heard of/seen/ridden a "new" (7 years now, I think) VRod powered Harley? OHC, fuel injected, water cooled, 110 HP (IIRC), meets all EPA specs present and future. Admittedly they did contract with Porsche for engineering design help, but the product is far from what you think you know.
They're adding that engine to a new bike every year or two, and phasing in a parallel line. Future could be a complete transition when/if required.

Kinda line Porsche's transition from air to water cooled, huh?

Are old Porsche's not cool just cuz they're air cooled..........?
Vrod is such a remarkable engine that Buell in all his ecitement forgot about it and went for Rotax. 110 hp from Vrod displacement is truly remarkable achievement for sure. I heard Ferry was turning a lot in his grave after finding out what HD did to the original design. LMAO
Old 04-05-2012, 03:09 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by petermj
Vrod is such a remarkable engine that Buell in all his ecitement forgot about it and went for Rotax. 110 hp from Vrod displacement is truly remarkable achievement for sure. I heard Ferry was turning a lot in his grave after finding out what HD did to the original design. LMAO
Duh - Buell is by definition a smaller lighter line of bikes. VRod in them would be like the PanAmera's engine in a Boxter. By your analogy Ferry's probably spun in his grave so many time over Porsche's evolutionary changes that you can't tell from the remaining dust which way is up!

What you seem to miss is that Harley isn't going for a 12,00 rpm peaky power curve and be just another boy racer clone. They wanted to keep the torque and streetability in the new design. My prior post was in reply to McGirk's comments about Harley being stuck in the past and not progressing.

You're gonna need to laugh a really long time to be able to "LMAO"...........

Last edited by tuxnharley; 04-05-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:24 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Duh - Buell is by definition a smaller lighter line of bikes. VRod in them would be like the PanAmera's engine in a Boxter. By your analogy Ferry's probably spun in his grave so many time over Porsche's evolutionary changes that you can't tell from the remaining dust which way is up!
I've seen some statements from Buell in the past, apparently Vrod is a real turd, at least compared to Rotax, not that it really helped 1125r from ending up a very nice looking piece of junk And LOL at that 110 hp, my frigging 02 Daytona 995 puts out 150

I do not think you can grasp my analogy.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:27 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

What you seem to miss is that Harley isn't going for a 12,00 rpm peaky power curve and be just another boy racer clone. They wanted to keep the torque and streetability in the new design. My prior post was in reply to McGirk's comments about Harley being stuck in the past and not progressing.

You're gonna need to laugh a really long time to be able to "LMAO"...........
Peaky curve? Do you actually have some dyno printouts to back up your claims? I bet you do not. Oh and LMAO again
Old 04-05-2012, 03:28 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Or..............don't care!
Old 04-05-2012, 03:28 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Sadly, the V rod engine is the Revolution engine I mentioned lol. You're right its a great motor, but each 2012 model Vrod is TWO THOUSAND dollars cheaper then the same 2011 model, yet all 2012 models have some serious upgrades to them(mostly from the street rod) all because sales still arn't what they expected. In fact word is production was supposed to be suspended early summer to help with left overs still on dealers showrooms. Just rumor, I dunno if true or not. It "doesn't sound like a Harley" so it doesn't sell well. I won't tell you how much I bought my 06 street rod with 1,100 miles for in 2009. And ever since I bought it, I've asked dealers what people bring them in the shop for. So far EVERY single answer has been: oil changes. They just don't break. Anytime I go out on it, I might see a thumbs up or 2, or little kids or even adults ask questions about it but I've seen more "traditional looking" Harley riders stick up their noses to me then I can count. Fine with me, I have one of those rare automotive diamonds in the rough. Kinda like an LS2 GTO for anyone thats owned one. That engine is probably going away soon. Mark my words day it does will be the beginning of the end unless they introduce a different water cooled motor. Mostly due to their buyer base not coming out of the 70's.

And no, isn't a chance in hell I'd own an air cooled 911 turbo over water cooled. Way too much heat, way too many potential problems.

The corvette is an exception. It stays with its small block roots year after year, just adding tweaks, yet those engineers are able to make a 100,000+ dollar vette that eats up 200,000+ dollar, super high tech, 9,000rpm ferrari's. Its what harley could be, under better management and tweaking their bikes. No one's asking for anything crazy, just to beat the competition by even a hair.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:34 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Sadly, the V rod engine is the Revolution engine I mentioned lol. You're right its a great motor, but each 2012 model Vrod is TWO THOUSAND dollars cheaper then the same 2011 model, yet all 2012 models have some serious upgrades to them(mostly from the street rod) all because sales still arn't what they expected. In fact word is production was supposed to be suspended early summer to help with left overs still on dealers showrooms. Just rumor, I dunno if true or not. It "doesn't sound like a Harley" so it doesn't sell well. I won't tell you how much I bought my 06 street rod with 1,100 miles for in 2009. And ever since I bought it, I've asked dealers what people bring them in the shop for. So far EVERY single answer has been: oil changes. They just don't break. Anytime I go out on it, I might see a thumbs up or 2, or little kids or even adults ask questions about it but I've seen more "traditional looking" Harley riders stick up their noses to me then I can count. Fine with me, I have one of those rare automotive diamonds in the rough. Kinda like an LS2 GTO for anyone thats owned one. That engine is probably going away soon. Mark my words day it does will be the beginning of the end unless they introduce a different water cooled motor. Mostly due to their buyer base not coming out of the 70's.

And no, isn't a chance in hell I'd own an air cooled 911 turbo over water cooled. Way too much heat, way too many potential problems.

The corvette is an exception. It stays with its small block roots year after year, just adding tweaks, yet those engineers are able to make a 100,000+ dollar vette that eats up 200,000+ dollar, super high tech, 9,000rpm ferrari's. Its what harley could be, under better management and tweaking their bikes. No one's asking for anything crazy, just to beat the competition by even a hair.
Sorry - I read too fast the first time and missed the "R", thought you were talking about the EVO engine. My bad!
Old 04-05-2012, 03:39 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

I've seen some statements from Buell in the past, apparently Vrod is a real turd, at least compared to Rotax, not that it really helped 1125r from ending up a very nice looking piece of junk And LOL at that 110 hp, my frigging 02 Daytona 995 puts out 150

You are part of the huge crowd that looks at the numbers and tossed it off as junk. You simply don't get it. It is in fact a healthy torquey motor. It's only 9,000 rpms for a reason. It was designed as an alternative for Harley riders. It may not make a butt ton of torque or hp, but It's nice to ride at any rpm. Check all of the models descriptions from Harley, "sport bike" was never mentioned once, and as far as bikes similar to it, the V max is the only bike faster that's made. It's a very well sorted motor that I believe still holds production engine endurance records. It was never made to have the most power possible, it was made to be a great motor. As I said, I've NEVER seen one need work, and no dealer I've been to has had one in for more then an oil change. The engines been out since 01, that's a pretty damn good "record" from where I stand.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:48 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

You are part of the huge crowd that looks at the numbers and tossed it off as junk. You simply don't get it. It is in fact a healthy torquey motor. It's only 9,000 rpms for a reason. It was designed as an alternative for Harley riders. It may not make a butt ton of torque or hp, but It's nice to ride at any rpm. Check all of the models descriptions from Harley, "sport bike" was never mentioned once, and as far as bikes similar to it, the V max is the only bike faster that's made. It's a very well sorted motor that I believe still holds production engine endurance records. It was never made to have the most power possible, it was made to be a great motor. As I said, I've NEVER seen one need work, and no dealer I've been to has had one in for more then an oil change. The engines been out since 01, that's a pretty damn good "record" from where I stand.
No hp, no torque but reliability as a substitute? Do you think this would work for corvette? Pretty damn good record for harley but far below anything else around that can do all three at the same time... Yes, I am part of the crowd that looks at these numbers before buying, isn't this exactly how corvette is advertised?
Old 04-05-2012, 04:07 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Not at all. You completely missed what I said or are just trolling some more. The engine is bullit proof(as much as an engine can be) more so then 99% of the sport bike motors. But what you really missed is it isn't even a sport bike, its a power cruiser. And far as I know the only other cruiser faster then it is the V max. Both it and the V rod are quite a bit ahead of the competition last time I checked(admittedly something you else you don't seem to understand about corvettes and about bikes it seems, people buy them for all kinds of reasons. I enjoy riding, it looks waaay better to me then most sport bikes, I enjoy it being a low 11 second bike, yet I don't go out looking to race on it). Im 23, its a fast bike I know I can go anywhere on without worry, its comfortable, and looks great.

So its ahead of all but 1 of its competition, reliable, and good looking. Sounds like corvette themes to me.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:43 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Not at all. You completely missed what I said or are just trolling some more. The engine is bullit proof(as much as an engine can be) more so then 99% of the sport bike motors. But what you really missed is it isn't even a sport bike, its a power cruiser. And far as I know the only other cruiser faster then it is the V max. Both it and the V rod are quite a bit ahead of the competition last time I checked(admittedly something you else you don't seem to understand about corvettes and about bikes it seems, people buy them for all kinds of reasons. I enjoy riding, it looks waaay better to me then most sport bikes, I enjoy it being a low 11 second bike, yet I don't go out looking to race on it). Im 23, its a fast bike I know I can go anywhere on without worry, its comfortable, and looks great.

So its ahead of all but 1 of its competition, reliable, and good looking. Sounds like corvette themes to me.
What is a bullit proof engine? Stop making those claims about HD being above 99% of sport bike motors reliability wise or prove it somehow to avoid that troll moniker yourself... Make up your mind, you have a close to 700 lbs sport or cruiser bike? If like it, your choice, you obviously sold it to yourself but fail anywhere else.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:32 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Me? A troll? lol pot meet kettle. You almost single handedly got multiple threads locked in this section Why you're still allowed to post is baffling. But I digress, this is the c7 section as so many keep forgetting so I'll end this conversation here as we're getting off topic, the topic of styling on the c7 and impala.

However, to prove YOU'RE not a troll, since you're asking me to make up my mind weather its a sport bike or cruiser, find just one instance I called it a sport bike...
Old 04-05-2012, 05:42 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Me? A troll? lol pot meet kettle. You almost single handedly got multiple threads locked in this section Why you're still allowed to post is baffling. But I digress, this is the c7 section as so many keep forgetting so I'll end this conversation here as we're getting off topic, the topic of styling on the c7 and impala.

However, to prove YOU'RE not a troll, since you're asking me to make up my mind weather its a sport bike or cruiser, find just one instance I called it a sport bike...
Nah, you are not a troll discussing superiority of your V rod in C7 section I do love your logic of riding a cruiser because it is more reliable than 99% of sport bikes out there
Old 04-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Z-Rated
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by prinzSD455
"Ed Welburn. Editor-in-Chief's Note: I was chatting with GM Design's Ed Welburn about the biz when the conversation inevitably turned to the next-generation Corvette. Ed said, "It's the first tome in history that the director of GM Design and the Chief Engineer of the Corvette have not clashed over a new Corvette." That's not only our AE Quote of the Week, it's historically significant. GM's design directors and Corvette chief engineers have battled for decades, the most famous clash being the one between Bill Mitchell, who insisted on the split window backlight on the '63 Sting Ray coupe, and Zora Arkus-Duntov who vehemently despised it. Mitchell won that battle, then Zora won the next year, when it was removed from the coupe in '64. The fact that GM design and Corvette engineering are in agreement on the C7 is a big deal. We'll see how good it is when it's unveiled. - PMD"

It will be interesting to see how well the result turns out between this non confrontational co-operation between GM Design and Corvette Chief Engineer.
''''''''

Quick Reply: Peter DeLorenzo chats with Ed Welburn on C7