Sponsored by:

Putting a deposit down on a C7

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 07:46 PM
HZ3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting a deposit down on a C7

Talked with my local Corvette Dealership today noone currently has put a deposit down there like some of the other dealerships I have spoken with.

Putting the deposit down than a little extra to insure I get first dibs on the C7 when it releases next year

Only question now is if they are going to honor the GM Family Discount.

Anyways has anyone else put down a cash deposit yet on getting their C7 reserved yet? One dealership had a long list and considering the one I talked with is one of the largest in the country I'm shocked noone had reserved one locally yet.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:24 PM
vettelover69
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HZ3
Talked with my local Corvette Dealership today noone currently has put a deposit down there like some of the other dealerships I have spoken with.

Putting the deposit down than a little extra to insure I get first dibs on the C7 when it releases next year

Only question now is if they are going to honor the GM Family Discount.

Anyways has anyone else put down a cash deposit yet on getting their C7 reserved yet? One dealership had a long list and considering the one I talked with is one of the largest in the country I'm shocked noone had reserved one locally yet.

GM discount on a brand new C7 when it hits the showroom floor?

You better be prepared to pay 5-10 thousand over sticker on a C7.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:53 PM
HZ3
Racer

Originally Posted by vettelover69
GM discount on a brand new C7 when it hits the showroom floor?

You better be prepared to pay 5-10 thousand over sticker on a C7.
I spoke with both dealerships and they agreed to honor the discount code you get from having immediate family working for GM although some cars have not had the discount included when they were first released.

It's not a matter of the dealerships honoring it. You get a number bring it in to the dealership and they take a specified set amount off of the price.

With that said even if they do raise the price on the sticker it should if nothing else help negate some of that cost if GM allows employee discounts for the C7 in which case I'm more than happy to pay less than the average customer

Out of curiosity do you have any direct experience using the discount or are you just speculating and offering an uninformed opinion?
Old 03-27-2012, 09:04 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by HZ3
.... Out of curiosity do you have any direct experience using the discount or are you just speculating and offering an uninformed opinion?
I don't think it's any of your business.

Trolling for new fish?
Old 03-27-2012, 09:06 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I doubt anyone's going to want to sell an early C7 at less than MSRP unless you already have a very good relationship. Dealers want cars on hand for the "I don't care what it costs" crowd.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:06 PM
HZ3
Racer

Originally Posted by jackhall99
I don't think it's any of your business.

Trolling for new fish?
No I'm just wondering if in fact his stupid comment regarding using a discount code should be taken serious when two dealerships contradicted his sarcasm in the last day... I figure if your going to offer up an opinion on it at least know what your talking about right?

Isn't your post pretty much the pot calling the kettle black?
Old 03-27-2012, 09:11 PM
HZ3
Racer

Originally Posted by Jinx
I doubt anyone's going to want to sell an early C7 at less than MSRP unless you already have a very good relationship. Dealers want cars on hand for the "I don't care what it costs" crowd.
Cool Story Bro...

Both dealerships agreed to honor the discount for the C7 if GM offers it which is possible they wont...

Lucky Me if they do

Not a huge deal if they decide not to its the new Corvette so totally understandable... either way Ill be first on the list in my area for one next fall I'm not sweating it either way... Looking forward to driving it off the lot as soon as it comes out and buying my first Corvette at age 26

Last edited by HZ3; 03-27-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:25 PM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HZ3
Cool Story Bro...

Both dealerships agreed to honor the discount for the C7 if GM offers it which is possible they wont...

Lucky Me if they do

Not a huge deal if they decide not to its the new Corvette so totally understandable... either way Ill be first on the list in my area for one next fall I'm not sweating it either way... Looking forward to driving it off the lot as soon as it comes out and buying my first Corvette at age 26
When a friend of mine, whose sister worked for GM, was about to purchase his Z06, the dealership had told him, family discounts are set by GM for specific cars, just like promotions. They change according to their inventory or end of year models and etc.

I'm not saying C7 won't get that kind of promotion, but you need to check that through your source, because even the dealers don't know sometimes until they enter the code in the computer. Hope this helps!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:43 PM
HZ3
Racer

Originally Posted by Z_Rocks
When a friend of mine, whose sister worked for GM, was about to purchase his Z06, the dealership had told him, family discounts are set by GM for specific cars, just like promotions. They change according to their inventory or end of year models and etc.

I'm not saying C7 won't get that kind of promotion, but you need to check that through your source, because even the dealers don't know sometimes until they enter the code in the computer. Hope this helps!
Yep that's how it works!

Certain hot vehicles have been known not to offer the promotion at all even to employees and the C7 certainly may fall into that category for sure

Discount or not though I'm looking forward to being the first person in my area though to put down a cash deposit on the new C7 at a large dealership that's sure to be able to meet the sales requirements to get it in ASAP after its released.

I mean discount or not its still a great deal the discount just makes it that much more affordable

I'm not that worried regardless I'm more excited that I'm the first person guaranteed to drive one off the lot in my area
Old 03-27-2012, 09:50 PM
vettelover69
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HZ3
Yep that's how it works!

Certain hot vehicles have been known not to offer the promotion at all even to employees and the C7 certainly may fall into that category for sure

Discount or not though I'm looking forward to being the first person in my area though to put down a cash deposit on the new C7 at a large dealership that's sure to be able to meet the sales requirements to get it in ASAP after its released.

I mean discount or not its still a great deal the discount just makes it that much more affordable

I'm not that worried regardless I'm more excited that I'm the first person guaranteed to drive one off the lot in my area

Great deal? Do you have inside information on the msrp of the C7 or are you just spectulating and offering an uniformed opinion?
Old 03-27-2012, 09:57 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,457 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by HZ3
Yep that's how it works!

I have no experience using a GM employee discount. That said, if they don't normally allow it on certain hot vehicles - or vehicles with high demand - then I would be surprised if they offer it on the C7 at the beginning of its release. It's probably going to be one those "hot" vehicles that dealers won't have trouble selling.

But, couldn't hurt to give it a try. Certainly no downside to it.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:57 PM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

Originally Posted by HZ3
Yep that's how it works!

Enjoy it, I'm sure C7 will be a great car!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:01 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by HZ3
No I'm just wondering if in fact his stupid comment regarding using a discount code should be taken serious when two dealerships contradicted his sarcasm in the last day... I figure if your going to offer up an opinion on it at least know what your talking about right?
You may disagree with vettelover69's comment, but your calling him stupid is just unacceptable. I'm sure his opinion is closer to the truth than what yours is.

I was curious about your comment of placing a deposit on a C7 at this early date. I chatted with my dealer (a huge Corvette force, by the way) about taking a deposit at a firm price and he advised "Hell no." The prices are not known, the discounts that may or may not be allowed are not known, etc. He said he would take a deposit from me, but really would not want to as the out the door price could not be discussed at this point in time.

Last edited by jackhall99; 03-27-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:08 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HZ3

Lucky Me if they do
It's a set amount off whatever purchase price you've negotiated, right? So it's still a function of what they want to get for their first car, which may exceed the premium you want to pay for being first.

All you can do is make an offer and see what happens. And who knows, maybe February rolls around and the new Cayman S will push your buttons. Or maybe GM drops specs for the ATS-V that entice you to hold out a little longer... the high-performance party ain't over yet.

.Jinx
Old 03-27-2012, 10:17 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,457 Likes on 2,274 Posts

I'm more excited to see what they do with the Z or ZR model. The wait for that likely will be longer, tho.

I've never been in the camp of "get the first one off the block" given the long track record of running improvements and higher performance models coming in follow-on years. But some folks really enjoy that, and find it worth it to them.

Which is fine - somebody's got to go first.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:18 PM
HZ3
Racer

You may disagree with vettelover69's comment, but your calling him stupid is just unacceptable. I'm sure his opinion is closer to the truth than what yours is.

I was curious about your comment of placing a deposit on a C7 at this early date. I chatted with my dealer (a huge Corvette force, by the way) about taking a deposit at a firm price and he advised "Hell no." The prices are not known, the discounts that may or may not be allowed are not known, etc. He said he would take a deposit from me, but really would not want to as the out the door price could not be discussed at this point in time.
Please stop posting in my threads if you dislike the content I was not in any way calling the guy stupid I was however stating a fact that it's dumb to imply they wont accept an employee discount when I was told by both dealerships in the last day that if GM offers it they will in fact honor it. If your contradicting the dealer and ROFLing at something you have no experience using it's not exactly a comment that should be taken seriously...

With that said I'm not overly concerned I'm clearing a 30k commission in the next week and a half in addition to 20% of all sales commissions from the business I have vested ownership in. While that alone would allow me to secure payment for the vehicle I also represent multiple companies. Also considering this will be in fact my new first car purchase outside of driving company cars as I am only 25 my family is giving me 15k towards the purchase of any vehicle I choose to buy.

10-15k either way isn't going to sway my decision on what vehicle I purchase.

Even if its not affordable by most standards I will in fact be purchasing one next year and look forward to sharing the pictures with the rest of you

I factored many things into my decision to put a deposit down first off there will be a Mustang revamp soon which will in my opinion lower the appeal of owning a current generation GT500 secondly CUE or not there will be a new CTS within the next couple of years most likely taking into consideration what I'm looking to spend "85k cap" it makes sense to just reserve now and not cry over spilled milk. As for an ATS V I am not a fan of V models looking very similar to their regular counterpart and shared the sentiments after looking over the CTS-V and sitting inside one at the Auto Show earlier this month.

As for a Porsche just not my style... that's for 35 40 when I can comfortably afford a 911 Turbo hey we all have to have something to look forward to right?

Anyways I hope this clears up I was in fact not calling the member themselves stupid however I will stand by the fact that I think it's pretty much worth taking into account if they have no prior experience using GM family discount codes like ours does and that their perceived cynicism was in fact contradicted by both dealerships that I really shouldn't put much value into that specific opinion of theirs

Lets just drop that though I really doubt it's going to be offered taking into consideration some of the other hot vehicles that have been exempt before at their release but if it is itl be a nice surprise

Last edited by HZ3; 03-27-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:46 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by HZ3
Please stop posting in my threads ..
I'll post what and where I wish to.

Look forward to seeing your C7.

Get notified of new replies

To Putting a deposit down on a C7

Old 03-27-2012, 10:54 PM
HZ3
Racer

I'll post what and where I wish to.
As will I

Either way I'm glad I'm getting the vehicle and seriously doubt Ill regret it I want a car I can really be proud of and excited about next year and after walking around looking at multiple Z06s and some ZR1s even which I wasn't as attracted to I simply decided getting a Corvette fits best for me.

The interior is also no longer my main concern although I hope it has a LCD touch interior screen I'm sure the first few months Ill be so busy learning the vehicle compared to an Impala so I can feel comfortable and safe behind the wheel maximizing it's on road potential.

It's an amazing car and its been years since I got a long detailed look at it the first thing that came through my mind was "Uh yeah what idiot thought this was an "old mans car" the last thing was if they do screw them Ill be the one driving off the lot with it and my peers can keep their ricers as noone my age is really going to be driving around 100k Mercedes and GTRs anyways.

It's great to speculate but the reality is its a smart buy for someone who wants a the next big thing and not have it replaced within a year or so
Old 03-27-2012, 11:12 PM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

Originally Posted by HZ3
its a smart buy for someone who wants a the next big thing and not have it replaced within a year or so
That's how I feel about a Corvette. It's a "smart-buy-car" no matter how you look at it. You can race it, it looks great, daily driver, lasts a long time and you can drive it hard. And you support your own country!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:22 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Please stop posting in my threads if you dislike the content I was not in any way calling the guy stupid I was however stating a fact that it's dumb to imply they wont accept an employee discount when I was told by both dealerships in the last day that if GM offers it they will in fact honor it. If your contradicting the dealer and ROFLing at something you have no experience using it's not exactly a comment that should be taken seriously...
Please stop posting on this forum if you can't stop calling people stupid. And yes, when you say "his stupid comment" you are calling someone stupid. Just avoid those hot-button insult words and you'll get by a lot better.

I read vettelover69's comment as incredulity that GM would offer a discount on the C7, not that a dealer would refuse to honor a GM-offered discount. I think you can agree that's a reasonable interpretation in hindsight at least.

As to your thought process on choosing a C7 over the other cars, I don't disagree. I'll just say when the time comes, think about waiting just six months more and you can probably get the car for $5K-$6K less, and get exactly what you want. I remember the first six months of C6 production were slow and option-constrained. I ordered mine in October and some colors and configurations still weren't available. (None I cared about, obviously...)

.Jinx

Last edited by Jinx; 03-27-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Putting a deposit down on a C7