C7 or the new Viper?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by zland
If it is considered ugly, then what does that make the renderings of the C7?
Old 03-31-2012, 09:13 PM
meganzhang
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Viper was a no-show in Motown, yet these spy images show the shape of the next Viper is coming along nicely. I just wish to give a huge thumbs up for it.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:28 AM
SlayerRX8
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 49 Posts

Hate to say it here, but I have a feeling I will prefer the Gen V Viper over the C7. I'm hoping the C7 looks very different than what we've seen so far...cause I don't like what I see.

Looks like I'll save my money for a C1-C3 instead.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:29 AM
jazzlove
Melting Slicks

Location: San Antonio Texas - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rather have a 2012 Crrrera S
Old 04-01-2012, 10:51 AM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thats a great looking Viper .
Expect massive amounts of HP to go along with that nice looking body
Old 04-01-2012, 08:49 PM
DaveN355
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a feeling that the new Viper will look closer to what is seen in the recently seen Hot Wheels version.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11203044...ak/lowphotos#0
Old 04-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Vicarious.
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, looks great - besides the wheels.

Just IMHO, they have the C7 beat so far if GM doesn't make any changes. The Japolnik pictures have 1 ugly *** camaro rear end. Crossing my fingers GM still has time to change it.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Vicarious.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DaveN355
I have a feeling that the new Viper will look closer to what is seen in the recently seen Hot Wheels version.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11203044...ak/lowphotos#0

Looks just like the old GTS coupe. One of the most gorgeous cars ever put on the road. Dodge went downhill from there.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:59 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,888 Likes on 795 Posts

That Viper rendering is better looking than the C7 I have seen.....especially the rear end shot. Guess we'll just have to see em in person! In the meantime....love my 2008.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:23 PM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm gonna be itching' for a new viper. More "organic" vs the renderings produced of the C7 which look like it's a Camaro grafted to a C6; too square like.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:17 PM
JWell
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hot off the press.... http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...auto-show.html

Old 04-03-2012, 05:25 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks to much like the old one in the rear.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,382 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Looks like the Hot Wheel. Same thing happened with the new 1968 Corvette Coupe. The Hot Wheel showed up before the real car.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Vicarious.
Burning Brakes

Are you kidding me? That is perfection!

My god that viper is extremely sexy...absolutely stunning
Old 04-03-2012, 07:24 PM
HZ3
Racer

Default Do you think the C7 will still be labeled an "old mans car" ?

No intention in starting a flame war here but in light of putting down a deposit I'm curious as to what some of you think regarding the image the Corvette C7 will portray.

Do you think people in their 20's will still view the vehicle as an "old dudes car?"

I picked up a Car and Driver magazine today and obviously the styling is different but I wonder if its enough to really make it an attractive car to young and mid 20's...

I'm reserving my judgement until January when I check it out in person but now that I have money down I'm starting to seriously wonder what kind of "image" this car is going to portray you don't see alot of people in their mid 20's driving around new Corvettes and I'm curious as to some of your experiences and opinions
Old 04-03-2012, 07:42 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,940 Likes on 1,186 Posts

.............only by young people who can't afford one and need an excuse................................
Old 04-03-2012, 07:46 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by HZ3
Do you think people in their 20's will still view the vehicle as an "old dudes car?"
Just curious, how do people in their 20s view a BMW M3 or a Porsche 911?
Is that somehow the kind of car that a 17 year old drives?
Not sure where this "Corvette is an old man's car" (while other performance cars that are similarly priced aren't?) label even came from. When I'm at the track or even at car meets I see almost as many 25-30 year olds in late model Corvettes as I do 60+ (not that 60 is even considered 'old' anymore anyway, but that's a different topic LOL) year olds.

Old people drive 4 door Mercury Grand Marquis' and Toyota Avalons (always in a champagne/pewter color LOL), not fast, two seater, low slung, difficult to enter/exit sport cars.

But to answer your question, no, the C7 (like the C6 that came before it) will NOT be, nor be labeled as, an old man's car.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 or the new Viper?

Old 04-03-2012, 07:48 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
.............only by young people who can't afford one and need an excuse................................

HZ, if you like the car, I really wouldn't worry about what others think about it. Drive it and enjoy it, and the heck with anybody else!
Old 04-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by HZ3
No intention in starting a flame war here but in light of putting down a deposit I'm curious as to what some of you think regarding the image the Corvette C7 will portray.

I picked up a Car and Driver magazine today and obviously the styling is different but I wonder if its enough to really make it an attractive car to young and mid 20's...

I'm reserving my judgement until January when I check it out in person but now that I have money down I'm starting to seriously wonder what kind of "image" this car is going to portray you don't see alot of people in their mid 20's driving around new Corvettes and I'm curious as to some of your experiences and opinions
The good news is when you get some years under your belt you really don't care about the "image" in a car. What you care about is getting what you want, and maybe a little more, as affordably as possible. What other people think has zero impact on how much you enjoy driving and admiring YOUR car.

The C7 has a chance to be wildly successful by hitting all the bargain performance cues and upping the quality a bit without having to up the price noticeably (a couple percent higher price could make the quality issues very minor). It still will not be cheap so that any kid with a few bucks for a down payment can get one.

The reason you won't see many 20-somethings driving Vettes is that, for the vast majority of them, they are either starting families so the Vette is an insane waste of scarce resources, or if single they still aren't making the type of scratch that justifies a $50K+ car. So the whole "old man's" car thing is really a result of GM not aggressively marketing to the tiny demographic of 20-somethings who are loaded -- so they buy 911's, GTR's and the jocks buy Ferraris -- these cars are marketed more to the "glitterati" while Vettes are positioned more as a "reward" for successful regular people who love hot cars.

So if you are fortunate enough to afford a $50K car in your 20's, then ignore the image cr@p and get the car that makes your nerve endings explode. Nothing out there for $50K will do that like a Vette.

Last edited by Rapid Fred; 04-03-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:18 PM
HZ3
Racer

Originally Posted by Argent C5
The good news is when you get some years under your belt you really don't care about the "image" in a car. What you care about is getting what you want, and maybe a little more, as affordably as possible. What other people think has zero impact on how much you enjoy driving and admiring YOUR car.

The C7 has a chance to be wildly successful by hitting all the bargain performance cues and upping the quality a bit without having to up the price noticeably (a couple percent higher price could make the quality issues very minor). It still will not be cheap so that any kid with a few bucks for a down payment can get one.

The reason you won't see many 20-somethings driving Vettes is that, for the vast majority of them, they are either starting families so the Vette is an insane waste of scarce resources, or if single they still aren't making the type of scratch that justifies a $50K+ car. So the whole "old man's" car thing is really a result of GM not aggressively marketing to the tiny demographic of 20-somethings who are loaded -- so they buy 911's, GTR's and the jocks buy Ferraris -- these cars are marketed more to the "glitterati" while Vettes are positioned more as a "reward" for successful regular people who love hot cars.

So if you are fortunate enough to afford a $50K car in your 20's, then ignore the image cr@p and get the car that makes your nerve endings explode. Nothing out there for $50K will do that like a Vette.
My biggest turn on is the light curb weight a Corvette will offer. What turned me on to performance driving was riding around in Mazda 3s and RX8s in park systems I come from a crowd of people that mostly because of affordability prefer handling over raw horsepower. Also where I live there are alot of nice hidden spots I know about where you can just let loose late at night and if your car can handle the blind spots safely its a rush... Let me tell you drifting in the Mazdas last winter with my friends that have been trained made me someone that wants 500+ horsepower but the handling that goes with it.

What I'm hoping is that Lingenfelter will be able to tune the base Corvette into something near 3000 lbs curb weight while still giving a GTR or Mercedes AMG "the biggest competition around here are AMGs" a run for their money by upping it to 600+ horsepower.

Basically I want a hybrid something I can drift with but something that will accelerate and impress people even those familiar with performance cars. In addition the prospect of a C7 first year being a collectors item plus the fact that the CTS will be getting replaced in a year and a half as well as the Mustang with new models it makes it a perfect move for me. I want a 2 seater I drive alone and travel alot so the last time I had 3 people in a car was over a year ago.

I also have company cars provided so garaging it from Sept-Oct to the first rain seems attractive as well and will provide a respectable tuner car.

My obvious concern however is the ricer Beamer Benz or Bentley crowd... Is the chick magnet factor even on the top 5 of the things I'm worried about? Not really... I love cars way to much to let that dictate my purchase or I'd just finance a nice AMG this Spring and let it rust as a daily driver but obviously for some reason everything I read says women look at Corvettes with some sort of disdain at least the younger crowd. I'm sure I won't care once I get behind the wheel but yeah it's my first car over 50k and it would be nice for people my own age to respect it past "He's loaded" which I'm not... never understood the whole mindset behind the hate behind young dudes driving Corvettes... is it vain? Sure... but only time will tell...

One thing though is its the perfect price for me to focus on other investments while enjoying a sports car... Hopefully it gets the respect the vehicle deserves though...

Quick Reply: C7 or the new Viper?