C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Positive C7 thread - Whos putting deposits?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 07:23 PM
tome
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray23

It would be kinda stupid to do so.

Maybe stupid to you, but not to some of us. Since a "deposit" is refundable, you can always cancel. All you gave up was some interest on that money for a period of time. However, if a person really wants to be on leading edge with a new C7 or is just going to be ready for a new car at that time, then getting on the list makes sense.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:12 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

I've had early VIN C4, C5, & C6 models, all the first ones from my local dealer, ordered with early deposits as well. I offered them a deposit for the C7 but they declined for now, not wanting to carry over the $ for bookkeeping purposes into another year. I am assured of #1 on their orders, though, which is all that matters. I will not be paying over sticker, and their allocation is large so getting it will not be an issue. I also plan to attend the Detroit Auto Show in January '13 for the unveiling-assuming things are on schedule and it takes place then. I'm optimistic on the final styling/mechanicals. If they are not what buyers are hoping for GM will have more than my lost sale to contend with.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:18 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GmdVT
I am not making any commitments, but if it is good I will buy it, if not I will cry for several days save some more money and get the new Viper. I will probably crash it into a tree and die but at least I'll go out smiling.
Originally Posted by michaelinmech
WOW - I had to stop and catch my breath for minute when I read your post. Some years back I decided to go for a Viper - coming home from dinner one evening it spit off the bottom radiator hose, coolant got under the rear tires and I crashed into a tree. Thankfully we both walked away but that memory looms . . . .
Same here...my 2nd or 3rd ride in a Viper ended in a relatively slow speed accident with the car pinned up against a small palm tree. Was visiting my friend down in south Florida back in 1997, cruising around Ft Lauderdale beach in his '95 RT/10 with the roof out and such but off in the distance the clouds were looming so we needed to get home as quickly as possible. Once the rain came we ducked into a gas station and hid under the awning but couldn't stay there all day, so we went for it.
In hindsight, we should've just stayed there LOL.
He's a very good driver too but those wide and somewhat worn down Michelins just couldn't soak up the wet road even in a straight line at only 40-45mph. We hit on my side but luckily we only received a few minor cuts/bruises, the car was totaled.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:17 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tome
Maybe stupid to you, but not to some of us. Since a "deposit" is refundable, you can always cancel. All you gave up was some interest on that money for a period of time. However, if a person really wants to be on leading edge with a new C7 or is just going to be ready for a new car at that time, then getting on the list makes sense.
Since when is a deposit refundable?

The way I see it is that if you're putting money down on something that you haven't even seen yet, you're almost exactly like those people that pre-order Apple crap and stand in line in front of their stores for 2 days.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:18 PM
MattLangley
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have yet to get my first corvette, though plan to get one within the next year or so. I'm seriously considering getting one of the good deals on a C6 as that approaches (or sooner) or waiting for a C7.

My biggest reason for considering a C7, hopes of a much improved interior. Say what you will about foreign cars, but lots of them have some pretty spot on interiors that I wish more American cars had... here's hoping the C7 interior will compete.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:22 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MattLangley
I have yet to get my first corvette, though plan to get one within the next year or so. I'm seriously considering getting one of the good deals on a C6 as that approaches (or sooner) or waiting for a C7.

My biggest reason for considering a C7, hopes of a much improved interior. Say what you will about foreign cars, but lots of them have some pretty spot on interiors that I wish more American cars had... here's hoping the C7 interior will compete.
Unless you're really a stickler for interior, I highly doubt you'd actually hate the interior on the C6. The C6 is a great car. As a first Vette, it's an even better car! Don't let all the people that have said bad things about it sway your opinion of something you've never yet had. They said that the C5 interior wasn't great either, but I've absolutely loved my C5s.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:29 PM
MattLangley
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Unless you're really a stickler for interior, I highly doubt you'd actually hate the interior on the C6. The C6 is a great car. As a first Vette, it's an even better car! Don't let all the people that have said bad things about it sway your opinion of something you've never yet had. They said that the C5 interior wasn't great either, but I've absolutely loved my C5s.

Just my 2 cents.
You definitely make a good point. I test drove a C6 last year, a 1lt actually (so no major upgrades), and I found the interior to be comfy and adequate. It's just when you starting to get into 50-60k+ on a car it's hard not to compare it to the like of bmw, mercedes, audi, etc... which have outstanding interiors for less than the price (though can't compete with the performance for the price of course).

In considering a new car I've been debating a used maserati or a new corvette (I'm almost definitely going with the new vette since 1) it was a childhood dream 2) the maintanance costs), and even used that maserati interior is luscious in comparison.

So a much improved interior isn't a make or break for me, but it would definitely seal the deal for corvette as a *Luxury* sports car.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:34 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Just my 2 cents.
100%
Old 03-06-2012, 09:36 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MattLangley
You definitely make a good point. I test drove a C6 last year, a 1lt actually (so no major upgrades), and I found the interior to be comfy and adequate. It's just when you starting to get into 50-60k+ on a car it's hard not to compare it to the like of bmw, mercedes, audi, etc... which have outstanding interiors for less than the price (though can't compete with the performance for the price of course).

In considering a new car I've been debating a used maserati or a new corvette (I'm almost definitely going with the new vette since 1) it was a childhood dream 2) the maintanance costs), and even used that maserati interior is luscious in comparison.

So a much improved interior isn't a make or break for me, but it would definitely seal the deal for corvette as a *Luxury* sports car.
Right, and also think about reliability. The Audis and BMWs can't even compete with the reliability of a Corvette at all. Independent studies actually put every German manufacturer at the bottom of the list just above Chrysler/Dodge. I know an Audi tech that flat out said they're horribly built cars. And I can't even tell you the nightmare stores I have about BMWs. LOL

I don't know squat about Maserati, but I know I wouldn't ever take one over a Corvette. I've personally never liked Audi or BMW interior, but I do like Mercedes interior.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:58 AM
tome
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=SCM_Crash;1580206765]

QUOTE]

EVERY dealer I have ever dealt with will return a desposit on an ordered car, but I can't speak about every dealer. That said, just because you don't want to be first doesn't mean someone else doesn't, and that can be for many reasons. Some just might not have that long to live or enjoy a Corvette. Just because someone doesn't think like you, doesn't make them stupid. Your kind of thinking is just why this country is so screwed up today; people REFUSE to respect other peoples decisions/opinons.

And I have NEVER stood in line for an Apple product, I own a droid....so I'm really screwed up.

Last edited by tome; 03-07-2012 at 02:06 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:00 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tome

EVERY dealer I have ever dealt with will return a desposit on an ordered car, but I can't speak about every dealer. That said, just because you don't want to be first doesn't mean someone else doesn't, and that can be for many reasons. Some just might not have that long to live or enjoy a Corvette. Just because someone doesn't think like you, doesn't make them stupid. Your kind of thinking is just why this country is so screwed up today; people REFUSE to respect other peoples decisions/opinons.

And I have NEVER stood in line for an Apple product, I own a droid....so I'm really screwed up.
LOL! Next time quote everything I said. At least that way you can read it back and realize what YOU just misunderstood what I said.

If you read the WHOLE thing, you'll see that my point was that you haven't test driven or even seen the C7. That means that if you don't like it, you're not placing the order. WHY would someone refund a deposit if the point of it was to prevent them from losing time/money over something you wanted?

Lets think with our brains here...

Hmmm....

They wouldn't. If I wanted to buy a car from someone and asked them to sit on it for a week while I gathered the funds, they'd ask me for a deposit. That deposit is their money if I don't come back for the car, otherwise the deposit goes towards the balance.

Once again, my point about the Apple garbage is made clear:
...exactly like those people that pre-order Apple crap and stand in line in front of their stores for 2 days.
These are people that spend money before knowing if they'll even WANT the product. They've never even played with it, yet they know they're going to fork over $500 for the latest and greatest. And if they don't like it, they either sell it or convince themselves that they spent their money wisely and prepare to make the same mistake again.

Not once did I mention anything about dumb opinions. So read better next time. A decision and an opinion are two different things. Pointing out that I don't respect a person's opinion would be incorrect. You have a right to your opinion and I'd never disrespect that, however I will interject my own opinion. If I wasn't allowed to do so, why would you have the ability to state yours? Right? OK, then. I merely stated that putting money down on a product you have no idea if you'll actually want (100% assured) and you lose your deposit if you don't want the product at the end of the day.

Can I get an amen?
Old 03-07-2012, 08:35 AM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Default Not My Money

No deposit for me, and here's why:

1. IF the car has been rendered accurately in C&D, the front end is an acceptable evolutionary styling step, but the back end is a styling nightmare
2. I have owned a C5 Z06, and 2 C6 Z06's, so I am not a customer for the base car - I would not expect to see the higher performance models until at least Spring of 2014.
3. When they do appear, if they look considerably better than what I am seeing now AND they offer substantial performance over what my 3157 lb '10 Z06 currently dynoed at 474 rear wheel h/p (warranty intact) car offers, then MAYBE, I will be interested. And I bought my leftover 3LZ fully optioned Z06 for $63k, so performance/price will be a consideration.

Until then, I am enjoying the hell out of what I have. The current Road & Track issue featured a very well done article on the whole model line-up and all 6 drivers picked the Z06 as their favorite, both on the road and on the track.... With my new Michelin Pilot Sport SS tires, DRM Bilsteins, lighter AFX rotors, my '10 only lacks PTM to rival performance of the '12 they tested....
Old 03-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

THis thread will explode by the end of the year as the C7 gets closer.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

This thread will be long-dead by then, but first we need a couple more pages from people wet-blanketing the spirit and enthusiasm of the original post.

Here's why putting down a deposit might not be stupid: if you know you're going to enjoy the next Corvette, and you know you want one of the very first ones, and you know you can afford to park a little money now to help make that happen. Go for it. Not everyone's the same. If getting a new Corvette or iDevice sooner brings you joy, be joyful.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:44 AM
RoatanMan
Melting Slicks

I will wait and see what the final product looks like... I know in the past, the first model year have had issues that were either fixed or and enhanced part replaced the faulty one... 68', 84', 97' and the 05'...

Bottom line, I cant wait to see the new C7; better yet, I really can not wait to see the C7 race version (Z06, ZR1, Z08, whatever)...

Old 03-07-2012, 12:21 PM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

I'm going to own a C7 for sure, but not the first year as I'm not done playing with my C6 yet, and the '05 C6 models had too many problems. I love that fellow Corvette enthusiasts are so excited that they are trying to put money down now!
Old 03-07-2012, 12:47 PM
pingrr
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

It seems stupid to place a deposit sight unseen.

Get notified of new replies

To Positive C7 thread - Whos putting deposits?

Old 03-07-2012, 12:51 PM
tome
Melting Slicks

LOL! Next time quote everything I said. At least that way you can read it back and realize what YOU just misunderstood what I said.

If you read the WHOLE thing, you'll see that my point was that you haven't test driven or even seen the C7. That means that if you don't like it, you're not placing the order. WHY would someone refund a deposit if the point of it was to prevent them from losing time/money over something you wanted?

Lets think with our brains here...

Hmmm....

They wouldn't. If I wanted to buy a car from someone and asked them to sit on it for a week while I gathered the funds, they'd ask me for a deposit. That deposit is their money if I don't come back for the car, otherwise the deposit goes towards the balance.

Once again, my point about the Apple garbage is made clear:

These are people that spend money before knowing if they'll even WANT the product. They've never even played with it, yet they know they're going to fork over $500 for the latest and greatest. And if they don't like it, they either sell it or convince themselves that they spent their money wisely and prepare to make the same mistake again.

Not once did I mention anything about dumb opinions. So read better next time. A decision and an opinion are two different things. Pointing out that I don't respect a person's opinion would be incorrect. You have a right to your opinion and I'd never disrespect that, however I will interject my own opinion. If I wasn't allowed to do so, why would you have the ability to state yours? Right? OK, then. I merely stated that putting money down on a product you have no idea if you'll actually want (100% assured) and you lose your deposit if you don't want the product at the end of the day.

Can I get an amen?

Sure! AMEN!
Old 03-07-2012, 12:52 PM
tome
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jinx
This thread will be long-dead by then, but first we need a couple more pages from people wet-blanketing the spirit and enthusiasm of the original post.

Here's why putting down a deposit might not be stupid: if you know you're going to enjoy the next Corvette, and you know you want one of the very first ones, and you know you can afford to park a little money now to help make that happen. Go for it. Not everyone's the same. If getting a new Corvette or iDevice sooner brings you joy, be joyful.
And a AMEN to you......
Old 03-07-2012, 04:32 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by OJCrush08
Until then, I am enjoying the hell out of what I have. The current Road & Track issue featured a very well done article on the whole model line-up and all 6 drivers picked the Z06 as their favorite, both on the road and on the track....

Quick Reply: Positive C7 thread - Whos putting deposits?