Sponsored by:

Natural Gas for C7?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 03:31 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Natural Gas for C7?

"The two pickups will be powered by a compressed natural gas (CNG) capable Vortec 6.0L V8 engine that seamlessly transitions between CNG and gasoline fuel systems."

This is for the 2013 trucks.

Hmmmm...makes me wonder what might happen and the consequences for the C7.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:35 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
"The two pickups will be powered by a compressed natural gas (CNG) capable Vortec 6.0L V8 engine that seamlessly transitions between CNG and gasoline fuel systems."

You won't see that on the C7.

And by the way, us farm boys having been running pickups on both propane and gasoline for years.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:24 PM
tolnep
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

interesting.

there was something i read a while back about a company that was going to make a unit you could install at your home that would attach to you natural gas line and compress it for use in a car.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx

This is called a bi-fuel system (CNG or gasoline) as opposed to a dedicated (CNG only) system. Bi-fuel advantage is obvious. Dedicated advantages include slightly more power and efficiency (mainly because CR can take advantage of methane's very high "octane") and HOV lane access in states like California.

In my opinion, a Corvette is near the bottom of the list of vehicle types for which CNG is a good fit. A few reasons: Even with dedicated CNG, power is less mainly because the effect of the higher CR doesn't offset the effect of the air (i.e., oxygen available to burn with fuel) displaced by the low-density gaseous fuel... although CNG zealots might argue this. Also, the added weight and volume required for 3,600-psi rated carbon fiber overwrapped CNG fuel tanks isn't consistent with sports car goals. In my opinion, E85 would be a better choice alternative fuel for a Corvette, but gasoline is hard to beat.

Also, keep in mind that CNG (mostly methane) is quite different than propane (or LPG). Propane is easier and cheaper to store (becomes a liquid at a moderate presure), but it costs more, has higher greenhouse gas emissions, and is more dangerous in my opinion (lighter-than-air methane leaks up, but heavier-than-air propane leaks down and can accumulate).
Old 03-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

It is coming to the Corvette, or at least being built and tested. A large oil/natural gas company is helping auto manufactures by paying for researching, building, and testing certain cars for CNG.

CNG is a higher octane value, so it should work well if they can figure out the storage issues associated with having a bi-fuel car.

Anyways, here is an example.

http://www.cngnow.com/vehicles/cng-c...et-camaro.aspx

Last edited by Chrisrokc; 03-05-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:33 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey, I have no problems with other people's fuel choices but I personally prefer hetero-fuel systems versus bi-fuel ones.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:33 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

In the words of one of my favorite actors - Sam Elliot - "I doubt it!"

Having both driven and managed many CNG fuel vehicles (Ford pickups, vans, and Crown Vics, Chrysler mini vans, and Toyota Camrys as well as garbage trucks and street sweepers) for a large fleet, I can tell you that the tank size required to provide enough fuel for even a moderate 100 - 150 mile range is incompatable with a Corvette. It generally takes two tanks in even those normal vehicles I mentioned. In a pick up or van that's not a problem, in the Crown Vics it took up half the trunk space, and in the Camry I drove for 4 years as my company car it took up 2/3 of the trunk!

Where would you put the tanks in a C7? In a coupe the rear hatch area would be virtually filled; in the convertible there wouldn't be room to put the top down!

CNG does have its advantages, but energy density isn't one of them!

Last edited by tuxnharley; 03-07-2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-07-2012, 09:34 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Very interesting!!
Old 03-19-2012, 01:12 AM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a great deal of gas in play regarding the C7. This entire section is all about commentary and analysis based upon nothing. So, you want a gas powered vette....you get it here.....that is all that is powering any conversations about what the C7 will be like is hot air ( gas ).

But, I do find this section mildly amusing that so many people can be so serious about "information" that is so bogus.

just my opinion

nobody on the outside knows what the C7 will be like aside from the fact that it will probably have four wheels. ( but they might get so wide in the C7 that they make it a three wheel car....two on the front and one bit roller on the rear.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:14 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Yeah, it is an open question about possibilities. Either you like to speculate or you don't.

I am not expecting or advocating a CNG Corvette, but it is interesting that Chevy has factory CNG pickup trucks coming...which is NOT speculation.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:05 PM
joeflyer
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If you own a late-model Z06 or ZR1, your engine has already been run on CNG. That's the fuel they use at the assembly plant in Wixom. Why? According to the run-up man, it's safer to store than gasoline and no residual fuel is left in the engine after shutdown.

Get notified of new replies

To Natural Gas for C7?

Quick Reply: Natural Gas for C7?