Sponsored by:

Cover of April Car and Driver has C7 Pic

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:54 AM
PhiDeltBeers
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Racer X
As long as the rear end has all the lights to needs and performs all the things it needs to for aerodynamics (reducing drag increasing downforce) and allows a workable opening to get things in an out, I am good. I don't much care about the rear end, I am not the going to be looking at it. That is what the guys driving the Porsches, GT-Rs, et al will be watching.
Funny, I don't know what the rear of a Vette looks like! J/K. I've sold my GT-R and bought a brand new Lexus IS-F and brand new Cadillac Escalade (for reasons I won't get in to). I've owned many "sports" car cars both foreign and domestic, but never a Vette. I test drove several C6 Z's (which was my dream car), but after driving the GT-R it was a no decision for me. That being said, I was really looking forward to going with the C7 assuming it looked similar to the Transformers movie version. I'm with you guys though and these "renderings" just don't flow at all on this car. I have a LOT of friends that own Corvette's and always thought it'd be fun to join the "club," but if this is what it's going to be, I'll buy another GT-R, Audi R8, or even that NSX (which looks dang good IMO). I have mad respect for what a Corvette is and what it stands for, but to me, this is a step backwards. So sad. I/we can only hope that this won't be what GM puts on the floors of dealerships.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:11 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

A GT-R guy calling the C7 - or any vette for that matter - ugly. . . . .

That's kinda rich.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:40 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
A GT-R guy calling the C7 - or any vette for that matter - ugly. . . . .

That's kinda rich.

Well, he's actually a former Nissan GT-R guy now.
Originally Posted by PhiDeltBeers
I've sold my GT-R
Old 03-15-2012, 08:55 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1

Well, he's actually a former Nissan GT-R guy now.

Well, perhaps there is hope for the chap.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:22 PM
ghostRder
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tigershark3
Here's the page with details... Not a great scan but you get the idea

Don't like the Camaro rear end
Old 03-16-2012, 03:23 AM
o2baZR1
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Gonna be a pain gettin' into the nooks and crannies to wash and buff that tail. Like tryin' to do a Brazilian wax on Rosanne.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:32 AM
danieloneil01
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, uh, whens the C8 coming out? Cause if this is the C7 it'll flop worse than the Aztec.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:45 AM
rad928music
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BillY2KFRC
I don't know, overall, I really like it. The front is awesome, very aggressive and Ferrari inspired no doubt. Since 1984, the rear clip of the Vette has barely changed, it's just been the same basic shape this entire time. I love the smooth lines and big butt of my 03 Z06, BUT, I think it was long overdue for an update. It's also very possible that due to overwhelming feedback, they will change the tails. Even though this is very close to the 'final' design, that's probably a simple enough change to implement last minute if they feel it's needed. However, I think everyone can agree Corvette design had to shake things up a bit after the slow sales the past few years. Just spend some time in the C6 sections and you'll see lots of guys changing over the GTRs and 911s, something needed to be done.
I hope your right and the C6's prices come down.
Id take a Base C6 at a lower price and be happy with the looks, throw some after market parts at it.
The base C6 is over shadowed by the GS, ZO6, ZR1 and the upcomming C7 so prices should drop so thats good for those who think its a still a good looking car, looks way better than C5 to me.
The performance is there too, so next year when im in the market for another car and the C7 comes out base used C6 prices will drop and Im going looking (Blue with a Manual gear box please) (

Last edited by rad928music; 03-16-2012 at 09:48 AM. Reason: change
Old 03-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by o2baZR1
Gonna be a pain gettin' into the nooks and crannies to wash and buff that tail. Like tryin' to do a Brazilian wax on Rosanne.
TMI and I am positive I don't want to know how you know that about Rosanne Barr
Old 03-16-2012, 11:30 AM
danieloneil01
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's called an imagination.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:41 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by danieloneil01
It's called an imagination.
Yeah, I have one, but I do not want to imagine that and I refuse to do it.

But hey! whatever floats YOUR boat
Old 03-16-2012, 06:54 PM
RJ-19
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Default C7 - More of the same... Time for a make-over

As I was driving down the road today in my pickup (wishing the salt was off the WI roads so I can get my real ride out) I was thinking about the C7 and the various renderings that have been shown in various locations. The one thought I kept coming back to was "more of the same".

Would anyone mistake a C1 for a C2?
Would anyone mistake a C2 for a C3?
Would anyone mistake a C3 for a C4?
Would anyone mistake a C4 for a C5?, C6? C7?

While the first three answers are going to be yes 100% of the time even to someone who knows nothing about Corvette, the forth question really gave me pause. Since 1984 the Corvette has been a wedge in the front and a square back end. During those first four generation changes GM really did rework the car from nose to tail. But I just feel like we are now going to have four generations of nearly identical Vettes.

Every time I hear "X number of years until the next major rework" I get excited. Then the finished product arrives and it is less that exciting. I don't remember where I read this, forum or a magazine but I really like the quote (sorry if I mess it up a bit) "We don't want to get used to the new C7 Corvette, we want to lust for it..."

While each new generation raises the bar for features and performance when was the last time a new design really was outside the box of the previous generation? Each "remake" is nothing more than "tinkering" with the existing platform. None of this changes my love for Corvette mind you, but honestly it doesn't make me feel like I should rush out and trade in my C-whatever for the C7.

Ryan J
Old 03-16-2012, 07:09 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I was with you up until the C4 to C5 transition. I owned a new 1985 until 1990. Then no Vette til 2007. When the C5 first came out I thought, "Cool, looks ENTIRELY different and I like it." I believe that most would agree that C4 to C5 was a major, fundamental change in looks and the LS1, while 350 ci, was an impressive, clean sheet engine upgrade. I see C5 to C6 as a much more minor change.

Originally Posted by RJ-19
As I was driving down the road today in my pickup (wishing the salt was off the WI roads so I can get my real ride out) I was thinking about the C7 and the various renderings that have been shown in various locations. The one thought I kept coming back to was "more of the same".

While the first three answers are going to be yes 100% of the time even to someone who knows nothing about Corvette, the forth question really gave me pause. Since 1984 the Corvette has been a wedge in the front and a square back end. During those first four generation changes GM really did rework the car from nose to tail. But I just feel like we are now going to have four generations of nearly identical Vettes.

Every time I hear "X number of years until the next major rework" I get excited. Then the finished product arrives and it is less that exciting. I don't remember where I read this, forum or a magazine but I really like the quote (sorry if I mess it up a bit) "We don't want to get used to the new C7 Corvette, we want to lust for it..."

While each new generation raises the bar for features and performance when was the last time a new design really was outside the box of the previous generation? Each "remake" is nothing more than "tinkering" with the existing platform. None of this changes my love for Corvette mind you, but honestly it doesn't make me feel like I should rush out and trade in my C-whatever for the C7.

Ryan J
Old 03-16-2012, 07:16 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RJ-19

True, but that approach has worked well for other successful sports car manufacturers so perhaps that's how the Corvette Team is handling it now.
Porsche 911 and Boxster over the years.
Some years of Aston Martin.
Mazda Miata.
Even the Ferrari F430 was not a visually radical departure from the F360.

I'm not saying that I like that approach but maybe huge/major change isn't the only way, I don't know.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:52 PM
RJ-19
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
True, but that approach has worked well for other successful sports car manufacturers so perhaps that's how the Corvette Team is handling it now.
True - You've seen one Porsche you've seen them all. My main point is that nothing drives sales like something new. You want to motivate your loyal / current owners to trade in and you also want something in the market that shakes things up a big to draw in new buyers as well.

Ryan J
Old 03-17-2012, 04:56 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Simpler is better:

Old 03-17-2012, 05:17 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Simpler is better:

Works for me, 6+ years and counting and I still love mine.

Get notified of new replies

To Cover of April Car and Driver has C7 Pic

Old 03-17-2012, 05:57 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Line up every Porsche generation and I guarantee I'll get half of them wrong. But that's just me. There's no mistaking a Porsche, regardless of year, but isn't that part of what they want? Most Porsche buyers buy them because it's a Porsche. It's the same with the Corvette. Even with all the belly-aching (some of which I agree with) about the alleged new design, it's still going to sell. Once the C7 hits the streets and mags start testing them, you're going to get the itch. Even if you postured yourself against it now, once it's out many current owners will want one. Simply because it's THE NEW CORVETTE. Look how many people traded up from one C6 to another just because it was the new model with slight updates. You really think an entirely new generation of Corvette isn't going to sell? I agree the renderings could use some tweaks and a complete shake up of the design could be interesting, but once this thing hits the streets, it's going to be one of the hottest cars around.

We're also still unsure about exactly what it's going to look like. Still mostly speculation at this point. We may have the basic shape but the details could make or break your opinion. And those are still yet to be released. Going to be a suspensful year.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:21 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

2002 Z06 ... almost 11 years and counting, and it still makes me feel like the day I bought it with 3 miles on the clock. The C7 will have to be super spectacular for me to dump this one.

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 03-18-2012 at 02:26 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:08 PM
roundlight lover
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by danieloneil01
So, uh, whens the C8 coming out? Cause if this is the C7 it'll flop worse than the Aztec.
AGREE ! Good to know there are sane people in the world!

Quick Reply: Cover of April Car and Driver has C7 Pic