Sponsored by:

C7, Meet the Ferrari 620 GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 01:32 PM
Process Black
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C7, Meet the Ferrari 620 GT

As many people have compared the (rumored) C7 to the 599, here's what the C7 will actually have to compete with in the realms of styling and performance.

Auto Blog

We're about five days away from when Ferrari will officially unveil the F620 GT, the front-engine/rear-drive V12-powered successor to its 599 GTB. As usual, the Internet can't wait.

An image of the F620 GT was published today on GTSpirit.com, who claims it was sent to them by a reader. The timing was fortuitous, as we also have an image of the F620 GT, supplied to us by sources who have seen the car in person. While not an official rendering of the F620 GT from Ferrari, it's the best look yet at what will be unveiled on February 29.

Our friends at eGarage.com were also nice enough to provide some specs, which come directly from Ferrari. The F620 GT's 6.3-liter V12 will produce 740 horsepower and 690 pound-feet of torque, making it the most powerful twelve-cylinder engine ever made by Ferrari. With a redline of 8,700 rpm, this powerplant will move the Italian grand tourer to 60 miles per hour in 3.1 seconds and 100 mph in 8.3 seconds. It's also lighter, lower and shorter than the 599 it's replacing.

With five days still left to go before Ferrari officially debuts the F620 GT, expect the Internet to continue digging.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:32 PM
The Dizzy Vizzy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the Jalopnik renders, the 'Vette is almost completely derivative of other automobiles - if those renders are the real thing, then let it be know that (IMHO), the C6 is the most beautiful Corvette ever made, and that we've seen the end of Corvette "heritage" in in this new gen of Vettes.

Process Black, seems to me I read a while back that Chevy was going to drop the base model Vette (coupe), and offer the Grand Sport as the base model - would this be true of C7's?
Old 02-24-2012, 02:56 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Process Black

While I don't really care much for the top photo/rendering (due to all of shadows/lighting perhaps?) that 2nd photo of it looks VERY nice.
I think the 599 is pretty good looking but this 620 replacement does look even better in my opinion.

Originally Posted by The Dizzy Vizzy
From the Jalopnik renders, the 'Vette is almost completely derivative of other automobiles - if those renders are the real thing, then let it be know that (IMHO), the C6 is the most beautiful Corvette ever made, and that we've seen the end of Corvette "heritage" in in this new gen of Vettes.

Originally Posted by The Dizzy Vizzy
Process Black, seems to me I read a while back that Chevy was going to drop the base model Vette (coupe), and offer the Grand Sport as the base model - would this be true of C7's?
Possibly. I can't see them doing that based solely on the whole 'entry level/low MSRP' price point/bragging rights thing (ie: a jazzed up GS base model just has to cost more etc.).
It could move the Corvette line more 'upmarket' as some have been suggesting recently but making a GS type model as standard/base also removes another means of generating more revenue (options/option packages are profitable) so I just can't see that happening.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:47 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,593 Likes on 785 Posts

The F620 GT's 6.3-liter V12 will produce 740 horsepower and 690 pound-feet of torque,<snip> With a redline of 8,700 rpm,
Why can't GMs 6.3 litre engine make this kind of HP or reach those kinds of RPMs?
Old 02-24-2012, 03:57 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
Why can't GMs 6.3 litre engine make this kind of HP or reach those kinds of RPMs?
They could but they want the engine to last 100K+ miles. They also don't want the engine to cost tens of thousands of dollars to produce. None of those things are possible with those restrictions. Ferrari doesn't care about those things and neither do their owners.

Last edited by chaase; 02-24-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:57 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
Simple, because they don't have one (not yet at least) LOL. The LS3 is of course 6.2L but I remember before the LS3 came out that there was talk of a 6.3L or 6.4L which I would love to see happen for the base C7.

And also, the 620's 12 (each being smaller) cylinders, 48 valves and 4 cams might play a small role as well LOL.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:58 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by chaase
They could but they want the engine to last 100K+ miles. They also don't want the engine to cost tens of thousands of dollars to produce. None of those things are possible doing that Ferrari does. Ferrari doesn't care about those things and neither do their owners.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Because GM's 6.2L cam-in-block V8 is actually much smaller and lighter weight than Ferrari's DOHC V12.

These engines are not the same size.

Compare engines by total mass or package volume. Compare by fuel efficiency (work per unit of fuel consumed). Compare by area under the power curve rather than peak horsepower while you're at it. There are so many other more significant variables in engine design that displacement is damn near irrelevant.

.Jinx
Old 02-24-2012, 05:23 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Jinx
Because GM's 6.2L cam-in-block V8 is actually much smaller and lighter weight than Ferrari's DOHC V12.

Compare engines by total mass or package volume. Compare by fuel efficiency (work per unit of fuel consumed). Compare by area under the power curve rather than peak horsepower while you're at it. There are so many other more significant variables in engine design that displacement is damn near irrelevant.

.Jinx
My friend, YOU understand the facts that all too many CF members can't seem to grasp at all.

Even the OP's lack of knowledge of what "competition" amazes me. A $250,000 +- car is NOT competition to a $50K or $110K Corvette.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:23 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jinx

Neither this Ferrari nor it's motor are exactly light/compact, and those cars are certainly NOT at all fuel efficient like a Corvette is.
They do have some nice leather though LOL.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:26 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
... They do have some nice leather though LOL.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:28 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jackhall99
My friend, YOU understand the facts that all too many CF members can't seem to grasp at all.
A $250,000 +- car is NOT competition to a $50K or $110K Corvette.
But $250k?! The prospective buyers of this new 620 can only DREAM of paying that little for it initially. That car will likely command $450k+ during the first six months/year after it's release LOL.
I just hope it actually delivers $450k+ worth of enjoyment for them.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Process Black
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jackhall99

Even the OP's lack of knowledge of what "competition" amazes me. A $250,000 +- car is NOT competition to a $50K or $110K Corvette.
Both are mid-engined front/RWD, both share an overall GT body shape and stance, and both appeal to drivers who want the comfort of a touring car and the performance of a track-ready racer.

The fact that the Corvette costs half to a fifth of the price is a huge advantage and makes it an instant win.

Granted the base model car may not have the same level of performance, but the ZR1/Z06 models will.

The Ferrari 599 GTB has a ring time of 7:47.
C6 Z06's, 7:22.68.
C6 ZR1's, 7:19.63.

So, as shown, price of the Ferrari is nothing more then ego fuel for the owner of a ferrari, until he is passed by a Corvette that I bought using saved beer money.

Do those numbers "amaze" you too?
Old 02-24-2012, 08:22 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

But $250k?! The prospective buyers of this new 620 can only DREAM of paying that little for it initially. That car will likely command $450k+ during the first six months/year after it's release LOL.
Oh, the $250K figure was just out of the air. I have no idea what they will ask for it.

In typical Ferrari fashion, the series is probably spoken for already to established Ferrari men. Being on that list and having one for a year or so is their enjoyment.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:32 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Both are mid-engined front/RWD, both share an overall GT body shape and stance, and both appeal to drivers who want the comfort of a touring car and the performance of a track-ready racer.

The fact that the Corvette costs half to a fifth of the price is a huge advantage and makes it an instant win.

Granted the base model car may not have the same level of performance, but the ZR1/Z06 models will.

The Ferrari 599 GTB has a ring time of 7:47.
C6 Z06's, 7:22.68.
C6 ZR1's, 7:19.63.

So, as shown, price of the Ferrari is nothing more then ego fuel for the owner of a ferrari, until he is passed by a Corvette that I bought using saved beer money.

Do those numbers "amaze" you too?
Huh? I don't understand this post at all.

I KNOW what the Ferrari's performance is, as well as the different 'vette models. Styling is subjective. While you did state "styling and performance", you also used the term "compete with". That's what I questioned.

The Ferrari is NOT competition to the Corvette. They are in completely different market segments.

No argument here; just the choice of your words "here's what the C7 will actually have to compete with" amazed me.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:42 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

A 599 costs over $400,000. This "comparison" is absurd. That would buy three ZR1s with change left over.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:22 AM
Admrl94
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

I've spent a fair amount of time reading ferrarichat.com over the years, and my impression is that many (if not most) Ferrari owners don't care that Corvettes are faster.

To them, that's not the point. Yes, they love performance, no doubt. They spend 4x more for high-end Ferraris because they love the racing heritage, the sound of a hand-made Italian V8 (or 12), the mystique around the brand...and sure, it has a prancing horse.

That being said, many Ferrari owners also have and love Corvettes. Others would never be caught driving a Chevy.

It's all good either way. What they like or don't like doesn't impact me, and vice-versa.

Get notified of new replies

To C7, Meet the Ferrari 620 GT

Old 02-25-2012, 10:32 AM
Senna1994
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Admiral_1
I've spent a fair amount of time reading ferrarichat.com over the years, and my impression is that many (if not most) Ferrari owners don't care that Corvettes are faster.

To them, that's not the point. Yes, they love performance, no doubt. They spend 4x more for high-end Ferraris because they love the racing heritage, the sound of a hand-made Italian V8 (or 12), the mystique around the brand...and sure, it has a prancing horse.

That being said, many Ferrari owners also have and love Corvettes. Others would never be caught driving a Chevy.

It's all good either way. What they like or don't like doesn't impact me, and vice-versa.
+1
Old 02-25-2012, 10:59 AM
CitationZ06@yahoo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This one is said to have a 750hp V12, I think its ring times will improve a little. Come on C7 bring the heat!
Old 02-25-2012, 03:12 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

^^this

it will not be a $250K car...it will be more like $400K.
That said, if I could afford it, I'd be on the (long) list--oh wait I have to first buy another Ferrari to get on that list

Quick Reply: C7, Meet the Ferrari 620 GT