Sponsored by:

Could this be it..

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 10:28 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Vento may have had the right idea about the design as well. What is the possibility that chevy made the car look as much like the renderings to throw people off. We have to assume that chevy design team member scan these sites.

Also, I really hope the hood does not look like the renderings. Those air vents look terrible imo.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:33 PM
Mayonayze
Le Mans Master

Location: Prepare yourself, for a pride obliterating bich smack. Fairfax, VA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08
SEC > BCS 4 St. Judes '09

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
Vento may have had the right idea about the design as well. What is the possibility that chevy made the car look as much like the renderings to throw people off. We have to assume that chevy design team member scan these sites.
i dont know what they gain from doing it, particularly when GM doesnt have a lot of room on the P&L for unnecessary cost. That said, shaping a little bondo and fiberglass for two mule cars probably isnt terribly expensive.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:59 PM
2KZ28CAM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tail lghts

folks I think the tail lights should be ignored for now. Shunt from Camaro5.com (hopefully) agrees.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4221

Last edited by 2KZ28CAM; 01-22-2012 at 11:32 PM. Reason: context for post. Historical thread from another site.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:50 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,145 Likes on 541 Posts

I think Jalopnik may have had these photos long before they were released yesterday and that their renderings were based on these. A couple of them are just so damn close to the angles and proportions of the renderings that I doubt it's just coincidence. The one below is ridiculously close to the 3/4 rear Jalopnik rendering as far as the angle, height, and perspective of the lens. I certainly hope this is true....The proportions look good to me but the details do not. Obviously, they took some artistic license but it sure looks like this rendering was based on this exact photo.
Attached Images   

Last edited by VETTE-NV; 01-23-2012 at 02:24 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:08 AM
HarryWild
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! It being tested in the snow! When was the last time a Corvette was driveable in the snow - 1970s. With the tire width on the C6; it would be impossible to do because it basically slicks!

I am shocked too!
Old 01-23-2012, 03:49 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,145 Likes on 541 Posts

If it does have the Aston Martin type side window as in the renderings, this car may be pretty cool indeed.
Attached Images  

Last edited by VETTE-NV; 01-23-2012 at 03:57 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:33 AM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

you guys are not getting it. GM is following the course laid out by another iconic sports car -- PORSCHE. Think about it. The 911 has not significantly changed since its inception in the 1960s. Every successive "redesign" of the 911 has been a slight tweak of the previous model, and every model always has the same basic shape and look of the original. Each model is easily recognized as a 911; even non-car people can immediately identify a 911. That is what GM is copying. They want the same iconic status as the 911 for the Corvette, and that means that the design won't change that much. Evolution, not Revolution.
The problem is that Porsche started that trend a long time ago, so Corvette basically has to start a race to refine a perfect product 30 years late. I can't think of a single way that the PDK 911 Turbo S could be improved without a total re-design of the car (i.e., mid engine, completely remove rear seats). That's totally not true of any Corvette in history-I'm absolutely in love with the Z06 Carbon, but I can think of dozens of ways it could be turned into a better car-AWD, improved interior, improved seats, lower drag coefficient, etc. Methodical, scientific improvement to an existing idea is the Germans' wheelhouse. I don't want to see Corvette get embarrassed by playing a game it can't possibly win.

I would take this evolved C6 design over a redesign that butchered something classic. Yes it's been apparently popular with the other cars but I'm ok with leaving the Vette out of that.
So let me get this straight... this:

over this:

You're supposed to call your doctor immediately when you start seeing side effects like that.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:45 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

I saw the Sting Ray concept car in person at the GM Heritage Museum, it was absolutely gorgeous! Dozens of Corvette guys were there, and everyone loved it. A C6 owner standing next to me said there would be a flood of used C6 on the market if GM released a similar C7, he and everyone driving a Corvette he knew would order one immediately. It was pure automotive lust, and that is exactly the reaction GM wants from the C7.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:04 AM
68ragtop69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
MD Events Coordinator
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In X Veteran
CI-X Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Kappa
Wow, even the wheels are the same as the render. Jalopnik was spot on.

This car is going to be awesome. As I said before, a lot of people are going to hate it and end up buying one once they realize how good it will be. Happens with every new iteration of an iconic car.
I wonder if they are pictures of two different test mules? The wheels on the driver side are different from the passenger side of the car in the pics.....
Old 01-23-2012, 09:09 AM
ghostmech
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

New Jalopnik C7 convertable.......

Old 01-23-2012, 09:42 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
I think Jalopnik may have had these photos long before they were released yesterday and that their renderings were based on these...
Interesting idea... very plausible
Old 01-23-2012, 09:58 AM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

I saw the Sting Ray concept car in person at the GM Heritage Museum, it was absolutely gorgeous! Dozens of Corvette guys were there, and everyone loved it. A C6 owner standing next to me said there would be a flood of used C6 on the market if GM released a similar C7, he and everyone driving a Corvette he knew would order one immediately. It was pure automotive lust, and that is exactly the reaction GM wants from the C7.
Right... As user Jackhal said in another thread, someone taking a Ferrari over a C6 is a "no s**t, Sherlock" kind of decision. With the Stingray concept though, I don't think it is. I'm going to go out on a limb, but I would say that if the stingray had the interior of a CTS-V and the numbers of a Z06 Carbon, I would take it over a Ferrari 458, even for the same price.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:58 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

The more I look at this, the more I think this looks like a C6 with a riced out body kit.

Bring the Transformers concept GM/Chevy, its not too late, you can do it!!

You will make the concept (jedi hand motion)
Old 01-23-2012, 10:13 AM
68ragtop69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
MD Events Coordinator
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In X Veteran
CI-X Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
I think Jalopnik may have had these photos long before they were released yesterday and that their renderings were based on these...
Originally Posted by travisnd
Interesting idea... very plausible
A very interesting "grassy knoll" theory!!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:58 PM
BobRBob
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
I am thinking that the site of the winter testing in the pictures is Kapuskasing (GM's winter testing home) -- located 450+ miles north of Toronto, within the Arctic Circle.
Just catching up on this thread and had to comment on this...

Kapuskasing is about 500 miles north of Toronto but it is nowhere near the Arctic Circle, much less within it. It is at latitude 49.25 degrees north, the latitude of the border between the US and Canada at all points west of the great lakes.

The Arctic Circle is about 1600 miles north of Toronto about 100 miles more than the distance from Toronto to Havana.

As for the mule, it's looking more and more like the C7 will be a warmed over C6. Either that or the mules and the Jalopy pictures are part of an elaborate hoax to fool everyone. I'm hoping for the latter but I doubt it.

Last edited by BobRBob; 01-23-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:25 PM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Two thirds of you in here bashing it are going to own one in the next 36 months.

This happens with every marquis car, every iteration, with everybody. Everyone hates it and says it's ugly. Then they see it in person, then they get used to it, then they start to see the dated design of their current beloved generation, then the see some modified new ones, then they lust for the new one secretly, then they finally bite the bullet and buy one...

Then the praise it for it's beauty and start the same bashing again with the next generation.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:18 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryWild
Wow! It being tested in the snow! When was the last time a Corvette was driveable in the snow - 1970s. With the tire width on the C6; it would be impossible to do because it basically slicks!

I am shocked too!
Almost ALL cars get tested in the snow, nothing new there.

I drove my c4 3 years straight, just half hour outside of Philly till I got an oldsmobile as well last year. 255 front, 285 rear summer tires, first Goodyear GSD3 then Firstone firehawk wide ovals. Saying it has "basically slicks" because of the widths shows just how much you really understand. I made at all 3 years except one incident(record snow fall+200 ft steep ramp to get out of my work so I have an excuse) and had I had regular all season tires with something deeper then 8/32" depth on my car, I would have had an even easier time driving it.

So I just killed your "vettes cant be drivin in the snow, only the GTR can" theory.

Get notified of new replies

To Could this be it..

Old 01-23-2012, 02:37 PM
dfarese
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

How I would love if these where just test mules and the final C7 was actually the Stingray concept. I mean they are testing two different wheels on the same car so...........

That would be a huge surprise from GM.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:43 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dfarese
How I would love if these where just test mules and the final C7 was actually the Stingray concept. I mean they are testing two different wheels on the same car so...........

That would be a huge surprise from GM.
Not the same car... the patterns on the body wraps are different as are the exhaust tips.

Either Jalopnik is 100% right and saw the car in the flesh. Or, as another forum member suggested, they saw these testing photos early and had renderings done off of them.

It's very plausible when you think about it. They can see a few things to work with and go from there.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:47 PM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

Either that or the mules and the Jalopy pictures are part of an elaborate hoax to fool everyone. I'm hoping for the latter but I doubt it.
I have to admit, if GM had the ***** and creativity to do something like this, it would definitely be the sort of dark-horse/X-factor type of stunt that would have everybody talking.

Quick Reply: Could this be it..