Sponsored by:

Corvette responds to new Jalopnik renderings

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 02:44 PM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette responds to new Jalopnik renderings

" Today Jalopnik posted renderings of what they think the next gen Corvette will look like. We appreciate their enthusasm but you'll have to wait a little longer to see what the next Corvette will actually look like" - Corvette

All you crying babies can sleep well tonight.

Jalopniks response shortly after

"Chevrolet's PR/marketing apparatchik, via the Corvette Facebook page, publicly — and weakly — denied the renderings we revealed earlier today were of the 2014 Corvette / 2015 Corvette ZR1.

General Motors has a standing policy not to comment on speculation of future product. Which would mean, that, since they did comment here, maybe it means it's not "speculation" but it is, as we claim, actual future product:"

"OK, so my internal link scenario here is slightly tenuous, but whatever GM, it's a weak-*** denial and you're not goading me into giving up my sources by showing more of what I've got!"

Last edited by niteriderc5; 11-14-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:48 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

That response doesn't really say much of anything.

It's very ambiguous
Old 11-14-2011, 02:51 PM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
That response doesn't really say much of anything.

It's very ambiguous
It puts the question of whether or not the Jalop' rendering is credible or not to rest.

They obviously went on record to debunk these renderings as politlely as possible without directly saying so. It could mean that its close but no cigar perhaps
Old 11-14-2011, 02:56 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Even if Jalopnik was 100% dead on you think GM would come out and say it? No... they wouldn't.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:57 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,568 Likes on 2,165 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Yes, I read the quote as basically stating that Jalopnik's rendering is not accurate.

Good. The rear end looks awful and the rest of the car hasn't changed at all. From what I have read and from the people I have spoken with it will not look at all like Jalopnik's guesswork.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:14 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by niteriderc5
" Today Jalopnik posted renderings of what they think the next gen Corvette will look like. We appreciate their enthusasm but you'll have to wait a little longer to see what the next Corvette will actually look like" - Corvette
Ok, let's try and decipher this a little bit.
"Today Jalopnik posted renderings of what they think the next gen Corvette will look like."

Possible translation: "Today Jalopnik posted renderings of what they think the next gen Corvette will look like and MAYBE it will look like this or MAYBE it won't. We won't say for sure right now because WAY too much is riding on this."

"We appreciate their enthusiasm but you'll have to wait a little longer to see what the next Corvette will actually look like"

Possible translation: "We appreciate their enthusiasm but you'll have to wait a little longer to see what the next Corvette will actually look like because there's only one windshield wiper blade and the wheels will be a 6 spoke design instead of the split 5 spokes shown so these photos are technically inaccurate."

A C5 convertible with the top up and a C5 Z06 look a lot alike but they aren't "actually" the exact same, correct?
Coyly using words such as 'actually', 'think' and 'renderings' can go a long way in trying to sway the general public.

That being said, I don't think the car in the renderings is an exact replica of the real thing either, just putting it out there that it possibly still could be.

Last edited by LS1LT1; 11-14-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:16 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Well....I actually took the reply from GM/Corvette as the "no comment" type of response which could indeed go either way. But most of the time these type's of answers of "not confirming nor denying" mean only one thing...it is in fact true....that's just my opinion though. From everything I have read and heard over the last couple of weeks...these renderings are dead on as to the facts that have been released thus far from GM...one fact saying..."the new car will take on a more European feel and look to attract younger generation drivers" is exactly what those pictures look like to me. This plus a "skinner car and a 4 exhaust center pipe section of similar to a Tigershark design"....yep again...all dead on. Finally finish that with "not a completely new design but one that skews from the C6 currently in production"...well again...these could very well be accurate drawings or really damn close.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:18 PM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

Edit OP Jalops response to GMs comment LOL this just got a bit more "real"
Old 11-14-2011, 03:30 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Again... I really like it other than the tail lights. I'd much prefer four round lights, but then it'd really look like a GTR
Old 11-14-2011, 03:35 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by travisnd
Even if Jalopnik was 100% dead on you think GM would come out and say it? No... they wouldn't.
exactly, if designs were so important they would parade cars around in previous year bodies and behind a bunch of tape to hide the lines
Old 11-14-2011, 03:39 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

I dunno guys...facts are facts...

Does the facebook page exit and does it say what Jalopnik says it does....YUP!

http://www.facebook.com/corvette?sk=...rvette?sk=wall

They are really proving/backing up what they say with more then just a few pictures too.

http://jalopnik.com/2015-corvette-zr1/

Either way...Iam sure in about 6 months or less we will all find out.

Last edited by XtremeVette; 11-14-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:40 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by niteriderc5
It puts the question of whether or not the Jalop' rendering is credible or not to rest.
It definitely doesn't say that, but it could be interpreted as saying that.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

looks like a c6 with a crappy body kit on it..
Old 11-14-2011, 04:11 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

I really seriously doubt this is what we are going to be looking at in the C7. With all thats riding on the next generation car and considering the years it will be in production, I certainly believe they are going to do a whole lot better than this. That said though , I am sure GM enjoys all the speculation as it gathers hype for their upcoming release, just as Apple has so masterly done with the hype on their products. They release a product and there are "spy shots" darn near the following week of what the next generation will look like, never proving to be very close. If I'm wrong I will be the first to admit it, but I feel GM has something a lot more interesting up their sleeve than this concept.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:16 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

they said it was a rendering so still up in the air.

""Today Jalopnik posted renderings of what they think the next-gen Corvette will look like.""
Old 11-14-2011, 04:21 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Chicago1
looks like a c6 with a crappy body kit on it..
Well to each his own but keep in mind...I think no matter what the C7 will look like....GM's new target customer base is going to be 30's and mid 40's...not the traditional older crowd (no offense) that they have been tailoring to up till now. So no matter what...I think they are going to hear some "not so nice comments" from their normal fan base. I think the C7 is more an experimental phase to see if GM can market and sell the car in this age bracket. Reports have been circulating for a while now that they have been already working on the major design change of the C8. This would make sense to me should the C7 fail miserable. In my opinion, the way GM see's it...win win for them...they can put off the major redesign for a few more years in hopes the economy bounces back a little more. If the C7 should sell like hotcakes...great...they just did what they wanted to attempt to do in the first place.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:29 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Chicago1
they said it was a rendering so still up in the air.

""Today Jalopnik posted renderings of what they think the next-gen Corvette will look like.""
you need to read the whole post...they spent the weekend "recreating" the renderings from the photos they obtained. They claimed it was due to the fact they didn't want anybody loosing their jobs over it. It could very well be true...especially if the photo's in question are well known to GM and they know who took them.

These renderings were derived from hours this weekend I (and our designer) spent in secret, poring over the completely uncamouflaged "sheetmetal" of two versions of the next-gen Corvette. With limited time, we decided to, rather than show you the first one, a base level Corvette, we focused our rendering efforts instead on the high-performance ZR1 trim level.

None of our sources were willing to go on the record or allow me to run their name for fear they might lose their jobs. That's also why I'm showing renderings rather than actual photos — I don't care if it might cast doubt on the veracity of the styling — but I didn't want anyone losing their job over this.
http://jalopnik.com/5858683/exclusiv...chevy-corvette"]

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette responds to new Jalopnik renderings

Old 11-14-2011, 04:29 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

I really hope this isnt what the C7 looks like. God Forbid....im not the grumpy "old guy" either....this thing sucks though.

I would rather see GM just release the Transformers car than this ugly design. Even though its only a drawing...

The C5 and the C6 had one thing in common, both beautiful lines which flowed very well. Even the C6 where those lines are more squared in places. This design screams Japanese or Nissan more than it does Corvette.

Maybe GM let this cat out of the bag as a ruse, to spike C6 sales? Anyone currently on the fence about a C6 who sees this wildebeast will suddenly grab one while they still can...

Or maybe GM has lost their mind and this is the real thing. I hope not....
Old 11-14-2011, 04:34 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by z edge

I really hope this isnt what the C7 looks like. God Forbid....im not the grumpy "old guy" either....this thing sucks though.

I would rather see GM just release the Transformers car than this ugly design. Even though its only a drawing...

The C5 and the C6 had one thing in common, both beautiful lines which flowed very well. Even the C6 where those lines are more squared in places. This design screams Japanese or Nissan more than it does Corvette.

Maybe GM let this cat out of the bag as a ruse, to spike C6 sales? Anyone currently on the fence about a C6 who sees this wildebeast will suddenly grab one while they still can...

Or maybe GM has lost their mind and this is the real thing. I hope not....
True but GMI did state the new C7 will look more european...that would include Japan, Nissan, Ferrari, etc.

Despite rumors to the contrary, it’s now beginning to appear like the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette (C7) will simply be an evolutionary step from the current C6, both in terms of styling and engineering. Perhaps that’s a good thing, since GM knows it can’t radically change the American icon that’s served as a halo car for Chevrolet for over five decades.

According to GM Inside News (GMI), the next Corvette will bear a more “European looking” design, but without significant restyling from the current C6 model. If GMI is correct, reports of a split-window rear design (as seen on GM’s Stingray concept) are incorrect, and the C7 will carry on with the same rear-window styling as current C6 models.

Furthermore, despite rumors of a fuel-saving 5.5-liter V-8 base engine in the C7, GMI maintains that the car will soldier on with a 6.2-liter V-8, and will be offered with a seven-speed manual transmission.

Perhaps the biggest changes will come in the interior, since GM is tired of hearing complaints about the Corvette’s cheap interior feel. All C7 Corvette models are said to get an interior that emphasizes higher quality materials, as well as featuring an infotainment display in the center stack with a redundant display in the gauge cluster.

The new Corvette won’t likely receive a capacitive touch console as shown in the Stingray concept and implemented in the Cadillac CUE system. Expect more conventional controls, albeit with better perceived quality than current version cars.

The C7 Corvette should launch in mid-2013 as a 2014 model, which means one thing: the rumors about the car’s design are a long ways from done.

Last edited by XtremeVette; 11-14-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:38 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by XtremeVette
True but GM did state the new C7 will look more european...that would include Japan, Nissan, Ferrari, etc.
Huh? I get Eurpoean and Ferrari, but not Japan and Nissan (Asia).

This design sucks. It's a boil on the *** of automotive history. And im just basing my opinion on these renderings. I would reserve final judgement until seeing actual photos / the real thing in person.

Quick Reply: Corvette responds to new Jalopnik renderings