Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette responds to new Jalopnik renderings

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 11:59 AM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

As someone above said the C7 is going to be Marketed to the younger folks. I would love to see more younger people get into Corvettes. The only problem is the Corvettes keep getting more and more expensive and most of the younger people cant afford to buy a house and start a family and also have a New Corvette. Somehow Chevrolet seems to have lost track of the fact that most of the younger people cant afford a new Corvette, no matter which one. I think Chevrolet with the Carbon Edition and the 100th Anniversary Corvette are doing this. The only problem I see with these cars is that myself or my friends most of whom are 55+ were totally turned off by these Special Edition Corvettes. And if they dont offer what we want we simply dont spend the money. In 2012 they dont offer a color that my friends or I are interested in, they forced the Navigation and Touch Screen radio down our throats by including them in the 3LT and they changed the design on the 2 tone interiors. I wonder what expertise the people at GM have, what qualifications they have to think that most of us go along with these changes. My friends and I have owned a lot of new Corvettes and none of us, not even one time, have ever been asked by Chevrolet what we would like to see in the Corvette. I have had at least one Corvette in my garage since 1972. Thats 28 Corvettes, all but one of them were purchased new. It just appears Chevrolet is going off in a direction I am not at all comfortible with... So, what I am saying is yes to younger buyers but dont forget about the people that have bought most of the new Corvettes in the past. Just my 2 cents worth here...
Old 11-20-2011, 11:58 PM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Well IMHO, if GM does want to target the 30's/40's crowd, and with the latest trend being towards the "throw back" body styles, then I would say that the Transformers concept would serve that purpose much better than the Jalopnic version does.

I will be turning the big 40 in a few weeks, and I can clearly remember as a young boy my daydreams filled with wanting a C3 sting ray..... Every time I saw a vette, I would shout out "Look Dad!! a Corvette Sting Ray!!!" It was never a corvette when I said it, it was always a "Corvette Sting Ray" My father got so sick of hearing that come out of my mouth...... Funny thing I also remember him saying at a dealer one time while I was drooling over one..." That's stupid, I will NEVER pay $20,000 for a car!!!" LOL Oh the countless automobiles he's paid way over that, since then LOL

Anyway..... I for one love the Transformer concept....because it reminds me of a C3 look... Don't really care for the back end appearance, but will gladly accept it in trade for that being the next vette over the Jalopnic version.

And another point.
Anyone considered that maybe they did see the C7, just not the C7's clothing? Perhaps it was nothing more than a test mule?
Old 11-21-2011, 12:40 AM
IRS-Cop
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[/QUOTE]

Ah hail the new C7 Corvette!!! LOVE THIS CAR!!! GM....please build it!
Old 11-21-2011, 01:07 AM
C3DeedlyDee
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm alright with the rendering, but I think the Stingray would've been a great concept to go off of. Just get rid of the ugly-*** headlights and rear-end. Something more like the FIA-style headlights of the racing C3s instead of those retarded slits.

Or just make this car entirely
Old 11-21-2011, 01:57 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

That right there is a track warrior.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:09 AM
Evented
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by PaulB
As someone above said the C7 is going to be Marketed to the younger folks. I would love to see more younger people get into Corvettes. The only problem is the Corvettes keep getting more and more expensive and most of the younger people cant afford to buy a house and start a family and also have a New Corvette. Somehow Chevrolet seems to have lost track of the fact that most of the younger people cant afford a new Corvette, no matter which one. I think Chevrolet with the Carbon Edition and the 100th Anniversary Corvette are doing this. The only problem I see with these cars is that myself or my friends most of whom are 55+ were totally turned off by these Special Edition Corvettes. And if they dont offer what we want we simply dont spend the money. In 2012 they dont offer a color that my friends or I are interested in, they forced the Navigation and Touch Screen radio down our throats by including them in the 3LT and they changed the design on the 2 tone interiors. I wonder what expertise the people at GM have, what qualifications they have to think that most of us go along with these changes. My friends and I have owned a lot of new Corvettes and none of us, not even one time, have ever been asked by Chevrolet what we would like to see in the Corvette. I have had at least one Corvette in my garage since 1972. Thats 28 Corvettes, all but one of them were purchased new. It just appears Chevrolet is going off in a direction I am not at all comfortible with... So, what I am saying is yes to younger buyers but dont forget about the people that have bought most of the new Corvettes in the past. Just my 2 cents worth here...
I think what ever GM decides to do with the C7, the people who have always purchased corvettes will continue to do so. It will be an improvement over the C6 like the C6 was to the C5. As for the interior and technoligy: times are changing and you, being much wiser than I am, should know that and be used to it already. I hope that doesn't sound harsh, but it is the way it is. Before I bought my new phone, I had an older cellphone with a touch screen and I was showing a co-worker a picture and he tried to make it larger by using the technique that most iPhone/Droids use. I was shocked because this particular co-worker is 56; pushing mandatory retirement. He has adjusted to everything in this generation, and that isn't a bad thing. Technoligy has made things much much easier for us and we should all take advantage of it while it's here.

On topic, I am fairly young. Recently (and finally!!!!) closed escrow on what I thought would never end and now I am beginning my long haul of saving money for a good down payment on the upcomming C7. I know GM won't ruin it. All these concepts and rumors are so outlandish and far fetched that I can't believe GM would build such a vehicle. It is still too early to tell what they are planning. Patience will prove it's worth. I have it set in my heart that I will own the higher end model C7 before I turn 30 regardless of what the other manufacturers can manage to create in competition. The Corvette has been a serious contender in the decades passed, and will continue to do so long after we are all gone. Have faith, we will all be impressed with the arrival of the C7.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Stangar
Racer

Originally Posted by Evented
I was shocked because this particular co-worker is 56; pushing mandatory retirement. He has adjusted to everything in this generation, and that isn't a bad thing. Technoligy has made things much much easier for us and we should all take advantage of it while it's here.
56? What a geezer!
Old 11-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Stangar
Racer

Originally Posted by Stangar
56? What a geezer!
For you engineers reading this, that was sarcasm.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:22 AM
638HP
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 81 Posts

IMHO, the C7 needs to be a modern day C2 making the car cross-generation appealing to aid in boosting the dwindling production numbers. Improve the interior styling/materials a tad, perhaps a Stinger-hood for the Z-models, nestle in the iconic Stingray badging and rear Split Window, assuming DOT friendly, and you have a car that appeals to a wider market. GM's success with the Camaro platform proves such. GM would not to far off with a refined Transformers offering. Going Euro without tying in Corvettes iconic brand would be a big mistake!

Quick Reply: Corvette responds to new Jalopnik renderings