Sponsored by:

Jalopnik reveals C7?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 07:33 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

These Jalopnik C7 renderings look like a C6 make-over by the CTS-V designers.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:38 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kappa
I wish I could dig up the old C6 threads when a prototype body in white design was found.

Everyone's reactions were about 5x worse than this. Everyone was going to hold their breath until GM changed it or just hold on to their C5's or move over to the 911. And what ended up happening?
Exactly Everyone bitched and moaned about the slab-sided, bland looking C5.5 and how the front end was just like a Viper and a Honda S2000

I think this is legit and it will be beautiful
Old 11-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Batman 357
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Boys boys...

This is consistent with other info.

It was recently said that the C7 would be evolutionary not revolutionary, the tail lights would be Camaro like and the twin rear glass was not going to happen.

The Ferrari 458 also has some curved edges around the rear glass. It's a state of the art design.

Jalopink has a pretty good track record on these things.

I'm good with it. I would like to hear a teaser about HP and other features.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:40 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Here my two cents. Bob Lutz spoke about the C7 and said the car will look nothing like the C6. He said GM was going to do a low cost make over of the C6 and call it the C7. That idea got rejected. He said they decided to do a totally new car and when you see it every C5/C6 buyer will have to have one. I don't see it in this car. I see a lot of C6 in it.

Also other facts to think about. GM says they needed a 135 million dollar make over to build the C7 in the Corvette plant. I don't see why in this car? It looks like it would be built the same way as the C6. When both the C4/C5 cars came out the plant had to be retooled to build them.

Rumors have been flying that the C7 would have a 5.5 V8 with VVT and direct injection. Now rumors are it is going to keep the 6.2? Wouldn't they have a design based upon the powertrain that was going into it? Also we have only heard of a base car and a ZO6 Nothing was ever said of a ZR-1?

Look at GM marketing they build a coupe first, then a convertible, then a ZO6, then a ZR-1. I wouldn't think they would be working on a ZR-1 model they would be more concern with getting the coupe/convertible into production.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:48 PM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Timz16
Does this mean you are affiliated with Jalopnik? If it does, nothing personal. Just don't care for the design. Then again, if Jalopnik was merely drawing what they saw, why would someone affiliated with Jalopnik take it personally when the design was criticized? The response would be more like, "hey, I'm just the messenger." Interesting.
Yes. I am the founder of Jalopnik, Sir Alfred Jalopnik.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:54 PM
Senna1994
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
Here my two cents. Bob Lutz spoke about the C7 and said the car will look nothing like the C6. He said GM was going to do a low cost make over of the C6 and call it the C7. That idea got rejected. He said they decided to do a totally new car and when you see it every C5/C6 buyer will have to have one. I don't see it in this car. I see a lot of C6 in it.

Also other facts to think about. GM says they needed a 135 million dollar make over to build the C7 in the Corvette plant. I don't see why in this car? It looks like it would be built the same way as the C6. When both the C4/C5 cars came out the plant had to be retooled to build them.

Rumors have been flying that the C7 would have a 5.5 V8 with VVT and direct injection. Now rumors are it is going to keep the 6.2? Wouldn't they have a design based upon the powertrain that was going into it? Also we have only heard of a base car and a ZO6 Nothing was ever said of a ZR-1?

Look at GM marketing they build a coupe first, then a convertible, then a ZO6, then a ZR-1. I wouldn't think they would be working on a ZR-1 model they would be more concern with getting the coupe/convertible into production.
That is exactly what should happen.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:58 PM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

This happens every time a new model of anything is released. Current owners hate it.
I'm not a current owner though; I skipped getting a C6Z for a C5 specifically to justify a C7Z to my wife in two years. I was the young owner who could just as easily go for BMW or Porsche as Corvette that GM was supposedly catering to. Now, there's no way that will happen. I might try to grab the tail end of the C6Zs next year, but I'll never buy the Jalopnik car, new or used.

I'm pretty sure 99% of people didn't feel that initial feeling going from the looks of the C4 to C5. Talk about an enormous step up IMO.
Tell me about it. I defy you to find five people who liked the C4 more than the C5, even the day the C5 came out.

low cost make over of the C6 and call it the C7.
That's exactly what this is-an ungainly attempt at what Caravaggio did more elegantly with the C6. It's great as a body kit (except that completely ussalvageable rear end and all those nasty vents) but it'll never win over C6 owners from their current cars.

Last edited by Endeka; 11-14-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:03 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by m48xhp
I got a pretty good laugh from this.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Crush2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tail lights

Originally Posted by Coryvette1
http://jalopnik.com/5859115/tomorrow...he-c7-corvette

Could they really have the real pictures?
I'm sorry, but if we're going to be offered rectangular asslights, even if rounded, I'm just gonna gag. No offense to C4 owners, but I just don't like them.

There's a t-shirt for aviation buffs that says "Real airplanes have round engines."

I would go out on a limb and say "Real Corvettes have round taillights."

As a C3 and C6 Vette-a-holic, I am undoubtedly biased. But still...
Old 11-14-2011, 08:37 PM
magnetized
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I like it, of course I'm part of the younger generation they are marketing the car towards
Old 11-14-2011, 08:59 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z edge
I'm running out of ways to describe my disappointment and disgust at these renderings.

GM, if you are listening, please don't build this ugly POS.

This reminds me of the Mustang II from the late 70's (i don't actually think it looks like the mustang II, nevertheless a disaster in the making)

Ive seen better looking designs go down the toilet, LITERALLY

Totally agree, as someone who has owned 7 Vettes, this is a travesty. I hope, as I said a few dozen posts ago, that this is a clever ploy to beef up C6 sales.

If this rendering is anywhere close to reality, since GM reads these postings, please reconsider releasing this JC Whitneyized C6 to a mostly innocent and unknowing public. If you were trying to copy the Ferrari as opposed to being more original, please take some time to relook closely at the photos of these two cars and LEARN. Please develop some common design sense and an understanding of how you utilized a series of tacky design gimmicks to mess up the clean, flowing design of the Ferrari. For further references on what clean, flowing design is, please do a little research on the new prototype Alfa and Jag two seaters.

May someone have mercy on your corporate soul if you release this thing, for I will not and neither will many others.

And to keep the record straight, I liked the C5 and C6 versions right out of the box, and bought them. There is just to damn much competition coming at this price range and GM (and its Government stockholders) simply cannot afford this magnitude of design ineptitude.

And, Bob Lutz, IF this is the design you were referring to, you sir, have lost a great deal of my respect.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:20 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

This floated around in 2007... still my favorite...

Old 11-14-2011, 09:23 PM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

Yes. That would be great.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:26 PM
briannutter1
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Me Likey! Me buy-ey! If the old fogies reaction is a test to see if it will appeal to younger buyers....I guess GM got it right The 599xx is sexiest car in production right now.

Wonder if they could fit some extra baby seats behind the front seats now that it has an extended wheelbase. That would make the car a bit more justifiable to the younger crowd and the 911 owners they want to swoon. As long as it doesn't add more than 70 lbs, I wouldn't mind that much.

As for tailights, c4 zr1's were square and people went nuts....still nice looking even today. I like the chopped rear end for aero. If they would have gone longer overhangs in the back...I would think they're backing away from the hardcore performance/racers among us. Wonder if they'll cave in and get away from fiberglass leafs just to shut up the haters. Just hoping for Cam in Cam, same bore spacing, same deck height...the aftermarket will take care of the rest. Maybe some conventional injector bungs in the intake manifold so d.i. isn't a limiting factor like it is with other brands.

So I'll always keep my c5z (didn't like the c5 for years after it came out) and buy one of these as well. Maybe a few bits here and there will swap over to my old car.

Last edited by briannutter1; 11-14-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

If the old fogies reaction is a test to see if it will appeal to younger buyers....I guess GM got it right The 599xx is sexiest car in production right now.
You missed that mid thread-it's the older people who like this design; the younger people don't.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:36 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

I'm 30 and I really like it, but I'd prefer something like the orange/gold car I posted above. IMO the car above screams Corvette without looking like anything else. The renderings are a very cool car, but look like a combination of a Corvette + GTR + Ferrari 599 + Camaro + CTS-V etc. etc. Cool looking but not mesmerizing. It doesn't hit me in the gut "I MUST HAVE THAT ONE DAY" like the C5 did when I first saw a picture of it in the Washington Post; I was 15.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by magnetized
I like it, of course I'm part of the younger generation they are marketing the car towards

Yeah, it reminds me of GM's "It's not your father's Oldsmobile" ad campaign.

...How'd that work out for em?

Get notified of new replies

To Jalopnik reveals C7?

Old 11-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Think New Coke. This is not a clever ploy to boost sales. This is neither a trial balloon to get input -- they have focus groups for that.

It seems to me that, generally, hand sketches tend to exaggerate shapes, while computer renderings tend to subdue shapes and exaggerate detail. I suspect these images are not taken at exactly the same angles as any actual photos obtained; they may even be done by memory with a C6 as a spatial template.

I think actual photos of the car, even taken at the same angles, will look more attractive. And I think the actual car will look more attractive still. That's just my general opinion of renders/computer-illustrations vs photos vs reality, not limited to these images or particulars within them.

So I think when the time comes, hindsight will find these accurate in technical terms but perhaps not in aesthetics.

In other words, it's not as bad as it looks. The front end might look like an uninspired tweak of C6 now, but I think it'll be more distinctive in reality. The butt might look awfully slabby now, but I think it'll be more interesting in reality. Not sure about those taillamps, but it's not exactly a great angle. The biggest disappointment for me is that the basic design language hasn't changed. We're still speaking in sharp creases and "pulled" flat surfaces. But I think that too many be a limitation of the computer artist, thinking of the new car in C6 terms. At least I hope so.

And, like C5 and C6 before it, I think the base model will be the cleanest and most aesthetically coherent design, and the hi-po versions will continue to wear the automotive equivalent of tight polos with popped collars, the better to reveal all those hours spent at the gym.

I was hoping to be wowed by photographs; instead I'm mildly piqued by computer illustrations. That's okay; I didn't buy my C5 or C6 for their looks, either.

But tell me the new transmission is held back, or the engine won't be significantly improved, and then we have a big problem. (And please tell me now so I can order a CTS-V Wagon before they're gone...)

.Jinx
Old 11-14-2011, 09:41 PM
Timz16
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by m48xhp
Fair enough. Sir Alfred, please explain the meaning of "easy, jalopnik" then?
Old 11-14-2011, 09:42 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I think Jalopnik DID get a hold of something, but I wouldn't but much stock in it. Probably prototype panels or something from the scrap heap then rendered the rest from the recent comments via GM. The timing is too close from some recent GM press releases. I'm not putting much stock in these renderings...but I also wouldn't doubt they aren't "too" far off. Hope it loses some of the C6ness though. Like the rear deck, and side styling...the rest leaves me wanting, but what do I know, I still own a C4!

Quick Reply: Jalopnik reveals C7?