Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the C7 Needs GM's Latest Infotainment System

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 06:11 PM
Thompyt
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Wouldn't the CUE lighten up the car in effect? Less weigh in electronics vs. mechanical.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:32 PM
Bradl1982
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes please!!!! But make it an option so the old fogeys can still get their stripped down "drivers car" go ahead and make power windows, power seats, power steering and fuel injection options too!
Old 02-16-2012, 12:59 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradl1982
Yes please!!!! But make it an option so the old fogeys can still get their stripped down "drivers car"
Old fogeys? I think you have it backwards LOL.
Some of these household gadgets and doodads that you speak of are probably better suited to a Lincoln Town Car or Cadillac Sedan DeVille, THOSE are what old fogeys drove!
Us youthful racer types prefer faster sports cars.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:13 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

That looks awesome! For people raised with the web, laptops, iPads, and iPhones it's a natural, and expected part of a new high-end luxury or sports car. The electronics are becoming inexpensive, they weigh almost nothing, and are more reliable than mechanical or analog devices. Software updates can add new features easily, also very cool.

I'm impressed this is from Cadillac. It must be part of how Cadillac turned the company around, making their cars desirable again and lowering the average buyer age from "nearly dead." They need to have a really simple default setting (limited features and buttons that mimic older cars). My mom would need years to figure this out. I still get regular questions from her about how to use an iPhone. ("How do I delete an email I don't want anymore?" )

Cheers,
JB
Old 02-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
Most non-audiophiles think that a sound system that is louder and has more bass is better. No needed for high quality to do that.

People who afford Corvettes most likely have iPhones, or Androids, or Tablets to entertain their passengers or when they are stopped. Why pay for it twice.

Voice activation is the future, get with the times. For touchscreens by "feel" or memory of relative location will require larger "buttons" and less sensitivity. My non-technical wife has gotten used to and comfortable with talking both to her car and her phone to cause things to happen even with young kids in the car. Anybody can do it with good systems.

It's a sports car and not meant to be an amusement park. It it is only meant to be a rollercoaster!

Infotainment systems are for SUVs and minivans. Maybe sedans. Sports cars are meant to be their own entertainment!
You're arguing to exclude new technologies. I'm arguing they should be included. Which one of us needs to get with the times?

.Jinx
Old 02-16-2012, 02:56 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

My needs are simple, I lived with a C4 and the digital gauges were attrocious.

My needs are simple, twobig analog gauges, RPMs and MPH, and at least 3 other smaller analog gauges for coolant, oil temps and oil pressure. Beyond this, a good (but not necessarily great) stereo, A/C. Power windows, seats are strictly optional.

Durring the 6 years I owned my C4, the windows went up and down maybe 7 times, the seats moved maybe 3 times.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:45 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
My needs are simple, twobig analog gauges, RPMs and MPH, and at least 3 other smaller analog gauges for coolant, oil temps and oil pressure. Beyond this, a good (but not necessarily great) stereo, A/C. Power windows, seats are strictly optional.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
This is exactly why nobody but old farts and car dorks wants a Corvette.
So what?
Old 02-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

You're arguing to exclude new technologies. I'm arguing they should be included. Which one of us needs to get with the times?

.Jinx
I am arguing they are unnecessary to a high perfromance sports car. I am arguing that technology for technology's sake is a waste. I am arguing for better ergonomics that allow and encourage a driver of a very high performance deadly missle to pay more attention to the road and what they are doing. I am actually arguing for more sophisticated technology. Does no one remember the first iDrive system in the BMW? Technology for technology's sake and a complete disaster for use in a moving vehicle, even a luxury car.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci
I know an old fogey, and no doubt you are smarter and know more about art and design than he ever did.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:10 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

It's the online video game generation.
It's not enough that kids (most of whom can't even afford a new Corvette so I'm not exactly sure why some think that new sales will be lost if that specific demographic isn't directly targeted anyway, maybe for the distant future I suppose?) pretend to be racing away from the cops and shooting/blowing things up ('Grand Theft Auto', 'Need For Speed' etc.) while playing in their living rooms/bedrooms but now we have to cater to them being able to do it while they're actually driving as well LOL.
Roads/highways in the future will be much safer for sure LOL.

Just curious, are the buyers/drivers of 'decontented' sports cars such as the Ferrari F360 Stradale/F430 Scuderia, the various Porsche GT/Club Sport models over the years and even the BMW M3 CSL lightweight models also considered 'behind the times/old fogey' types?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:09 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Tactile controls are not inherently evil. Well-designed ones are efficient, effective, and do not distract the operator. And they can be much faster from decision to action to result than voice control. Voice control can be great, but its existence does not obviate tactile controls.

And lots of things are unnecessary, strictly speaking, but buyers want them and they get them. You say "I don't want it," that's fine. You say "nobody should get to have it," them's fightin' words.

The high performance sports car is itself unnecessary, so be careful arguing that things you don't like or feel are more dangerous than they're worth shouldn't be available.

.Jinx
Old 02-16-2012, 11:45 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Tactile controls are not inherently evil. Well-designed ones are efficient, effective, and do not distract the operator. And they can be much faster from decision to action to result than voice control. Voice control can be great, but its existence does not obviate tactile controls.

And lots of things are unnecessary, strictly speaking, but buyers want them and they get them. You say "I don't want it," that's fine. You say "nobody should get to have it," them's fightin' words.

The high performance sports car is itself unnecessary, so be careful arguing that things you don't like or feel are more dangerous than they're worth shouldn't be available.
All excellent points.

I would never even attempt to try and tell anyone that simply because I don't want that they shouldn't or can't have it, that would be totally unfair and uncalled for.
But on the flip side, those of us that don't want some of these items in our car also don't want to be told "no, you HAVE TO have them because we like them" either, those too is fightin' words.
I supposed majority will rule on that one.

This is why many of us say make it 'optional'.
I ordered my C6 without navigation, On Star or XM Radio and that's exactly how I would order the car again today if I could (I of course cannot, as items such as On Star and Satellite radio are now standard).
The downside with options is that it also adds more cost for those that want that particular item (ie: making something standard across the full production/model run generally makes it cheaper of course) but GM like it's that way as they do make some good profit on the options...and of course that's how it's always been anyway.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:39 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Voice control does not obviate the need for tactile controls (real ***** and buttons). It supplements them. A touch screen is not a a true tactile control.

The OP was about if we agree or disagree that the Corvette NEEDS the latest infotainment system. I clearly disagree. I am stating why I disagree. Infotainment systems are for minivans and SUVs, not sports cars.

Do I think they should urade the electronics in the Corvette? Absolutely. They should make it so the passenger can operate the Nav system while in motion. It is entirely possible to tell if it the passenger or the driver that is operating the system. The screen should be bigger and higher resolution. I think they should do more with the heads-up.

Look if people want infotainment systems that allow the car to drive itself, and have dual drop down 17" screens, great. I don't want it, and I think that sort of thing is contrary to the purpose of the Corvette, I don't to have to have it to get better leather or certainly anything vaguely related to performance.

It's a sports car, not a living room on wheels.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:32 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

I interpreted the OP that GM's latest infotainment system needs to be available in C7, not that every aspect of it be made standard. I think the responses in this thread show enough demand for that. And I doubt GM would give away navigation -- they'll use it to sell heated seats and HUD at a tidy profit.

But an infotainment system is just an improvement on the car stereo. I know some folks think sports cars shouldn't play any music but the engine roaring and the tires squealing, but that's a very small minority. A computer already drives the instruments, and the center stack already has small status displays for HVAC and audio, and the customer demand for built-in navigation is at least a significant minority if not a majority at this point -- enough that the center console needs to be designed with a relatively large display. If the screen is there, and the need to display basic system status is there, make use of it to provide more for those who are asking for it. Without getting rid of those fixed-position physically-differentiated basic controls, of course

And yes, a simple touch screen is not tactile, but check out the CUE demo -- it's more than a simple touch screen.

.Jinx
Old 02-17-2012, 02:42 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

I interpreted the OP that GM's latest infotainment system needs to be available in C7, not that every aspect of it be made standard. I think the responses in this thread show enough demand for that. And I doubt GM would give away navigation -- they'll use it to sell heated seats and HUD at a tidy profit.

But an infotainment system is just an improvement on the car stereo. I know some folks think sports cars shouldn't play any music but the engine roaring and the tires squealing, but that's a very small minority. A computer already drives the instruments, and the center stack already has small status displays for HVAC and audio, and the customer demand for built-in navigation is at least a significant minority if not a majority at this point -- enough that the center console needs to be designed with a relatively large display. If the screen is there, and the need to display basic system status is there, make use of it to provide more for those who are asking for it. Without getting rid of those fixed-position physically-differentiated basic controls, of course

And yes, a simple touch screen is not tactile, but check out the CUE demo -- it's more than a simple touch screen.
I can certainly live with that. It does seem to be want the majority are seeking and I really do want GM/Chevrolet to sell as many Corvettes as they possibly can in order to keep the price of mine down and to also ensure that we will still be able to buy new Corvettes in the future as well.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:26 AM
BobRBob
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

The opposition to the CUE system in the C7 is ill advised. These sorts of systems are an absolute must in a car in this price range. In fact, they are becoming pervasive even in less expensive cars. Corvette has to compete in an increasingly competitive market for the sports car dollar. Look at the systems in Porsche, BMW, MB, Audi etc. Those systems are the benchmark. Optional doesn't cut it. This stuff is becoming standard equipment and has come a long way since the original BMW iDrive. Much has been learned along the way and the Corvette needs to catch up and fast.

A Corvette that doesn't measure up will be badly disadvantaged and GM can't afford that.

Last edited by BobRBob; 02-17-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

I have gone back and reviewed the video, press release, and other articles. This system is not as bad as I thought, but still too many layers to get to things. Perhaps it is better than the video shows, as explaining the whole interface would be lengthy.

I like the configurable gauge cluster, but would have to see more to see how much.

The programmable part is a bit concerning. If it is like android, without centralized testing, it could be bad. If it is like Apple, not so bad, but even Apple has let some bad things through. How strong is the security? how is the sytem separated for auto control systems? What info is collected and stored and transmitted?

Can you imagine the cost of repairs? eek! The 1980's LCD cluster cost like $1800.

Just saw this article on a new report from the NTSB on distracted driving and disabling certain features when driving. http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...NEWS/120219898

Last edited by Racer X; 02-17-2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Added link

Get notified of new replies

To Why the C7 Needs GM's Latest Infotainment System

Old 02-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Yes, Ray LaHood, US Secretary of Transportation, has been championing various ideas to make distracted driving impossible. He called for banning all phone use in cars last year IIRC.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:16 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

I've had two cars (not GM) with built-in GPS and cell phones using touch screens. Both had nice user interfaces. But neither allowed you to program addresses, change GPS route options, or dial phone numbers while the car was moving. This I'm certain was a safety feature to protect the company from lawsuits. Unfortunately a passenger can't do it for you either while the car was moving, so we use a GPS App and made calls from an iPhone at times. You could still change radio stations and program XM radio on the touch screen when the car was moving. Limited voice input was possible but it was unpredictable and I couldn't remember the instructions it would recognize so I seldom used it.

Cheers,
JB
Old 02-17-2012, 04:09 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BobRBob
The opposition to the CUE system in the C7 is ill advised. These sorts of systems are an absolute must in a car in this price range. In fact, they are becoming pervasive even in less expensive cars. Corvette has to compete in an increasingly competitive market for the sports car dollar. Look at the systems in Porsche, BMW, MB, Audi etc. Those systems are the benchmark. Optional doesn't cut it. This stuff is becoming standard equipment and has come a long way since the original BMW iDrive. Much has been learned along the way and the Corvette needs to catch up and fast.

A Corvette that doesn't measure up will be badly disadvantaged and GM can't afford that.
True, but it's sort of double edged sword type situation.
If they make too many add on items standard with the base car and it ultimately drives the base MSRP up much higher then it can hurt sales.
If they don't make it standard and yet these same features are standard in another automaker's base performance offerings then it could hurt sales as well.

One factor that you may not be considering though is that those entry level/base model Porsches/BMWs/Nissans etc (some of which can also MSRP almost as high as a base Corvette) DO NOT offer many other critical 'standards' (ie: power/performance/acceleration/braking/handling etc.) that a base Corvette offers either. So the Corvette might just be able to afford to bypass having some of that high tech touch screen electronics as standard and yet still sell very well.
Or maybe not.

Quick Reply: Why the C7 Needs GM's Latest Infotainment System