Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

TT V8 + 10K RPM... I want one!
Old 05-25-2011, 07:13 PM
HarryWild
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Huh? Interesting if true! We will see!

From the autoblog:"....the all-new model is expected to arrive within the next two to three years." 2013-2014.

Last edited by HarryWild; 05-25-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:16 AM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Default it came fromTheDetroitBureau.com. Where do they get this stuff?

Next Corvette to Target Euro-Supercar Fans with Small, High-Revving Turbo V8

by Paul Eisenstein on May 25, 2011

This exclusive report (c) TheDetroitBureau.com. It has been updated to reflect additional details.

Anxious to attract the sort of high-performance buyers increasingly drawn to European sports cars from the likes of Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini, General Motors is planning some major changes for the next-generation Chevrolet Corvette – starting with a high-revving, small-displacement powertrain, that will substitute for the big V8s traditionally found under the hood of the Chevy 2-seater.

TheDetroitBureau.com has learned that GM has approved the use of a very European-style V8 that will be only slightly larger than 3 liters in displacement. The engine will be of an overhead-cam, rather than traditional overhead-valve design, using a dry sump oil system that’s particularly well-suited to high-performance road courses rather than straight-line acceleration. The engine is expected to feature a narrow 80.5 mm bore and a long stroke, more like a Ferrari or Lamborghini powertrain than the approach used for traditional Motor City metal.

A very senior GM executive also confirmed that the new engine will be turbocharged, which will help yield a broad torque curve and maximum performance under a variety of driving conditions. The engine is expected to deliver in excess of 400 horsepower, which means a specific output in the range of 125 horsepower per liter. That’s the sort of number that would help the next-gen Vette stack up well against the likes of a Porsche 911 or Lamborghini Gallardo.

The engine is likely to be extremely high-revving, perhaps climbing to a near-Formula One-class 10,000 RPMs, suggested one source involved in the project.

The revelation tracks in line with a recent comment by General Motors’ North American President Mark Reuss, who recently promised that the so-called C7 Corvette, due to market in less than two years, will be “completely different” from the very American sports cars that have come before it. Since its launch in 1953, Corvette has been governed by the philosophy, “there’s no replacement for displacement.”

While Reuss and other senior executives have declined to discuss plans for the next Corvette publicly, several well-placed sources have given TheDetroitBureau.com a good sense of what’s to come. The small V8 underscores what one of those insiders says is the desire to “target a very different sort of buyer for the next Corvette. Let’s face it, the current customer is getting old.” But without making significant changes, that source acknowledged, younger sports car fans will continue to be “conquested” by more modern, high-tech imports.

Significantly, Corvette won’t abandon its more classic powertrain roots entirely. There will be several different types of engines offered for the C7, including a more classic, big-block OHV V8 designed to appeal to traditionalists.

In fact, some of the design cues of the new car will be borrowed from early generations. There have even been rumors of the C7 going with the split window of the very collectible 1963 Corvette, though TheDetroitBureau.com has not been able to confirm that detail has been given the go.

Meanwhile, expect the interior to be much more modern than the current car’s, which GM’s global design chief Ed Welburn admits, “is a disappointment.” The styling boss, a long-time Corvette fan himself, says he is personally overseeing the development of the C7 interior and promises it will be “absolutely world-class.”

Adopting a mid-engine layout, rather than the long-running front-engine design, is considered a strong possibility, though it would be a significant engineering shift for GM. Nonetheless, sources say that wouldn’t be entirely out of line, as the Corvette has often served as the technological test bed for the maker.

GM adopted the then-radical approach of using a fiberglass body when the original 1953 Corvette was launched. The sports car has introduced plenty of other features, over the years, including the MagneRide suspension, which uses a magnetically controlled fluid to continuously vary suspension settings to match road conditions and driving behavior.

When migrating from the fifth-generation Corvette to today’s C6 model, GM trimmed weight and brought the sports car’s overall size down to something closer to that of a current Porsche 911. Anticipate further cuts in mass for the upcoming remake of Chevy’s halo car.

GM is investing $131 million in the Bowling Green, Kentucky plant that produces the Corvette to prepare for the C7 launch.

The use of the new small-displacement V8 is likely to have some knock-on effects at GM, said one of TheDetroitBureau’s sources. As with current Corvette powertrain technology, the high-tech engine will find its way into the Cadillac line-up, it appears, where it would help that brand’s V-Series evolve into a more sophisticated offering, rather than the brute-force line-up it is today.

The switch to a smaller, turbocharged V8 isn’t exclusive to GM, incidentally. Ford made the move with its big F-Series pickup for 2011, offering a downsized EcoBoost twin-turbo V6 — which delivers the same sort of towing power as the F-150′s biggest V8, while yielding significant fuel economy improvements.

Mike Levine, a contributor to TheDetroit Bureau.com, and editor of PickupTrucks.com, contributed to this report.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:20 AM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope to god all of you realize every ounce of that was complete BS and would make no sense to do at all. Compare it to other cars with exteme engines like that(mclaren's 3.8 twin turbo goes to an amazing for forced induction car 8500rpms. that takes a lot of money and work to do). Not gonna happen. Cant believe they even put this crap on their site and whoever did should be fired for his newb-ness. GM already tested their 3.6 direct injection v6 twin turbo'd to over 400hp, why wouldnt they just use that. 5.5 liter direct injection, variable cam timing base engine. /thread.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:17 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
Compare it to other cars with exteme engines like that (mclaren's 3.8 twin turbo goes to an amazing for forced induction car 8500rpms. That takes a lot of money and work to do). Not gonna happen. Cant believe they even put this crap on their site and whoever did should be fired for his newb-ness.
Only possibility would be on the ZR1, which costs 6 figures, but 2/3s of the power? Yeah, right! I also don't see that happening. I'm glad to see the Vette improving from a lowly dual-leafspring suspension, ancient pushrod technology, and rental-car interior to a more modern and competitive car, but no way in hell the jump will be that big IMO.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:26 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I'm from Missouri

[QUOTE=ZL-1;1577713258]Next Corvette to Target Euro-Supercar Fans with Small, High-Revving Turbo V8

TheDetroitBureau.com has learned that GM has approved the use of a very European-style V8 that will be only slightly larger than 3 liters in displacement. The engine will be of an overhead-cam, rather than traditional overhead-valve design, using a dry sump oil system that’s particularly well-suited to high-performance road courses rather than straight-line acceleration. The engine is expected to feature a narrow 80.5 mm bore and a long stroke, more like a Ferrari or Lamborghini powertrain than the approach used for traditional Motor City metal.

A very senior GM executive also confirmed that the new engine will be turbocharged, which will help yield a broad torque curve and maximum performance under a variety of driving conditions. The engine is expected to deliver in excess of 400 horsepower, which means a specific output in the range of 125 horsepower per liter. That’s the sort of number that would help the next-gen Vette stack up well against the likes of a Porsche 911 or Lamborghini Gallardo.

The engine is likely to be extremely high-revving, perhaps climbing to a near-Formula One-class 10,000 RPMs, suggested one source involved in the project.

The use of the new small-displacement V8 is likely to have some knock-on effects at GM, said one of TheDetroitBureau’s sources. As with current Corvette powertrain technology, the high-tech engine will find its way into the Cadillac line-up, it appears, where it would help that brand’s V-Series evolve into a more sophisticated offering, rather than the brute-force line-up it is today.

QUOTE]

I'm from Missouri on the slightly over 3 liters turbo V8. A turbo V6 already exists at this performance level. Why go to the very high cost of introducing a V8?
Old 05-27-2011, 02:08 AM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

What would happen to our monster torque with smaller displacement? Also, the article said that a more"traditional" V8 would be offered. I wonder how much?
Old 05-27-2011, 02:37 AM
C3DeedlyDee
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by I Bin Therbefor
I'm from Missouri on the slightly over 3 liters turbo V8. A turbo V6 already exists at this performance level. Why go to the very high cost of introducing a V8?
I'm not sure if those specs are legit for the turbo 8 (3.0L+, 10,000rpm, turbocharged, and they're quoting 400hp? I would expect more), but I can't imagine a V6 sounding like something like this, plus the hiss of a turbo:

Old 05-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Skullbussa
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by 89L98
What would happen to our monster torque with smaller displacement? Also, the article said that a more"traditional" V8 would be offered. I wonder how much?
It's hard for me to imagine how they're going to get people to pony up more money for a small turbo V8 that revs as high as they say it will when your cheap, garden-variety LS3 already makes 430hp/424 ft.lb. The turbo motor *must* cost more.

One things for sure, you can kiss the LS7 goodbye. The "track monster" of the next generation is almost certainly going to be the little turbo V8 and not the pushrods.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:30 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryWild
Huh? Interesting if true! We will see!

From the autoblog:"....the all-new model is expected to arrive within the next two to three years." 2013-2014.
Turbo V8? Mid engine? I don't see how they can do all this that quickly. I don't know what to believe anymore.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:16 PM
Mitch3000
Instructor

Originally Posted by goatts
Turbo V8? Mid engine? I don't see how they can do all this that quickly. I don't know what to believe anymore.
Ofcourse you cant, your one of the biggest critics on this forum....

All that aside, I can see GM going down the front engine-RWD path for future Corvettes but they most definately will be placing it back at the forefront of technology. I for one would enjoy a C7 with a turbo 3.0l V8
Old 05-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mitch3000
I for one would enjoy a C7 with a turbo 3.0l V8
That's the spirit!
Old 05-29-2011, 01:04 AM
jmc5
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

This story is so contradictory I'm surprised anyone is willing to print it.

Small displacement, turbo motor, okay, that's possible.

Then they say high rpm and turbo. Those two don't mix well. You don't need lots of revs on a turbo motor. In fact, you don't want lots of revs. Its hard enough to build a 6 - 7k rpm small motor with good spool characteristics that can breathe up top.

Then they say 10k rpm turbo and only 400+ hp? A three liter motor spinning to 10k rpm can make 400hp NA.

And they top it off with 10k rpm and narrow bore, long stroke... Uh, yeah, right.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:22 AM
stic5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmc5
This story is so contradictory I'm surprised anyone is willing to print it.

Small displacement, turbo motor, okay, that's possible.

Then they say high rpm and turbo. Those two don't mix well. You don't need lots of revs on a turbo motor. In fact, you don't want lots of revs. Its hard enough to build a 6 - 7k rpm small motor with good spool characteristics that can breathe up top.

Then they say 10k rpm turbo and only 400+ hp? A three liter motor spinning to 10k rpm can make 400hp NA.

And they top it off with 10k rpm and narrow bore, long stroke... Uh, yeah, right.
Good points. What you said there got me thinking. IF this motor is real, and that's a big if, then I'm guessing that the turbo is one of a very small and quick spooling nature. Look at what GM has done with the engines in the Cruze and Sonic as a little hint. You can get a 1.8 liter NA engine, or you can get a 1.4 with the same HP but a lot more torque.

What am I getting at? This mystery high revving motor might be capable of producing over 400 hp without the turbo, but it wouldn't have much torque, would it? But if you install a small turbo that spools up to max psi quickly, that would supply your lower rpm torque. It could be the best of both worlds really. A V8 that revs like a ferrari, but still has the torque of a Corvette. The more I think about it, the more I hope I'm guessing right.

Last edited by stic5; 05-29-2011 at 02:24 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:56 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitch3000
Ofcourse you cant, your one of the biggest critics on this forum....

All that aside, I can see GM going down the front engine-RWD path for future Corvettes but they most definately will be placing it back at the forefront of technology. I for one would enjoy a C7 with a turbo 3.0l V8
Wasn't being critical. The first C6 test mules were built in Feb of 2003 so if they're just now talking about a new engine then the 2013 debut just doesn't seem possible. There were also a lot of "hints" coming from presentations by Dave Hill, Tom Peters etc in 2003. We shall see.

Last edited by goatts; 05-29-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:56 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

As I said in the heading of post #4, "Where do they get this stuff?"
I have no doubt that they got it from "a very senior GM executive".
Their only mistake was believing him. Dave Hill, Tadge, and other
speakers at the Bash seminars over the years have laughed about
how they like to mislead the media. Sounds like more of the same...

Get notified of new replies

To v8 turbo in c7? from autoblog

Old 05-30-2011, 01:21 PM
Nyarlatotep503
1st Gear

Default C7 Engine layout

I don't think we'll see a turbocharged v8 in the C7.

Even though GM cleaned up its balance sheet in the recent past, I don't see them spending a lot of R&D efforts on a small production line.

I suspect they're more likely to make the engine power/drive train evolve more slowly than we'd wish.

I believe GM will likely re-cast the same engine 6.2 and 7.0 engines to which it could make the following changes
1) improved displacement on demand technology
2) direct fuel injection
3) 7-speed AT

I think everything will be geared towards fuel economy and either or the above could serve that purpose.

Alternatively, they could re-surrect the older 5.7 or 6.0 and also have them benefit from these new technologies.

One thing that GM did right with this car is that it resisted adding weight as generations passed and I think this, along with ultra wide tires is what helps the Corvette falling behind the competition despite an outdated powertrain technology. I don't think they'll stray away from that
Old 05-31-2011, 05:38 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by 89L98
What IF, you got an engine with 640 hk, 500+ TQ, available from 2000 through 7000 RPM ?
30+ mpg

Would you ditch it if it turns out to be 3.8 l V8 with turbo ?

Look at Mclarens engine
Look at the small V6 from Nissan GTR, wonder how it would perform in a 400 pounds lighter car ?

Rune
Old 05-31-2011, 06:00 PM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z06Norway
Look at Mclarens engine
Look at the small V6 from Nissan GTR, wonder how it would perform in a 400 pounds lighter car ?
Rune
GT-R just announced to up the HP to 560HP. And that's only a V6. I'm sure GM can get more than 560 out of 3.8L V8.

A good forged 3.8 V8 would last a lot more than a none forged 6.2L V8 and will certainly have better MPG. Lots of European countries would then consider buying Corvette.

Quick Reply: v8 turbo in c7? from autoblog