C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is the V-6 speculation - Corvette too?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 08:36 AM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default This is the V-6 speculation - Corvette too?

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...d_v-6-car_news

A 380 HP GM engine to be used in the ATS-V and the Camaro.

If the CE of Corvette is to be believed, the Corvette team considered a V-6, probably this engine, as part of their trade off studies for the C7.

I don't believe that the team choose a V6 as their primary engine for the Corvette but it could be used in an entry Corvette as Porsche uses the Boxter as entry level car to the Porsche line of 911s.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:37 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by I Bin Therbefor

If the CE of Corvette is to be believed, the Corvette team considered a V-6, probably this engine, as part of their trade off studies for the C7.

I don't believe that the team choose a V6 as their primary engine for the Corvette but it could be used in an entry Corvette as Porsche uses the Boxter as entry level car to the Porsche line of 911s.
V6 No Thank You
Old 05-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 446 Likes on 383 Posts

I rather have a (283 eg smaller displacement) V8 (than any V6 or inline).
Old 05-06-2011, 03:14 PM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

If the car has 380hp with lower weight, perfect weight distribution and road manners, I don't care how many cylinders it has. I'm sure the experts that do this for a living, will not scew up the Chevrolet icon that is Corvette.

People seem to talk about cylinder count like they talk about condom length... It's no wonder sports cars have their given stereotype.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:22 PM
RonR80
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 125 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I agree don't care what engine is in there, just make it right, direct inj, new interior , Ron
Old 05-10-2011, 03:35 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by I Bin Therbefor

The Boxter isn't the enter level car to the 911s...the Carrera is.

If the C7 is a V6 I won't be driving it. The V8 sound is too good for me to pass up. DI V6's can make awesome power, but it isn't for me in a car like the Corvette.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:41 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you turn the boost up on a TT inline or v6 you would make WAY more power for cheap however, they would never do that to the corvette. It's a v8 car till the day it dies. Super charged v8 maybe but they would never do a TT inline or v6.

would it stop me from buying a corvette? hell no! It's still amarican and I bet with light tune and intake + exhaust you would be close to 500whp

TURN THE BOOST UP AND HOLD ON!
Old 05-10-2011, 06:45 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

They need to put that motor in the Silverado/Sierra... I'm thinking abt buying a freaking Ford w/ that Ecoboost motor that gets almost mid 20s for mileage on the highway & can tow my cars easily when it's time to work.

My truck is my daily driver & it's getting long in the tooth--hurry up GM, I don't want to buy a F!
Old 05-11-2011, 09:07 AM
dochorsepower
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

GM will not get my money unless it's a V-8. It's not a Corvette if if doesn't have a V-8.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:20 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

I don't see them putting this into the Corvette line. However, depending on the #'s, I would agree it would be useful to apply to trucks, base CTS's and larger vehicles to maintain CAFE regulations, opening doors for bigger power in performance line vehicles.

Another thought I had was that this would be a great engine if GM were to bring back the Zeta platform (Solstice) another a new badge at Chevrolet. Bring back the "Corvair"? A little 2 seat roadster with a 380 hp V6 would be fun.

But I agree that it is not a matter of cylinder count and displacement these days, as it is output and durability. Not to mention effeciency. We had better start thinking in terms of the future of oil supplies, costs, etc. and take the lead this time. Or the the debacle of the late '70's and 80's will repeat itself.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Villain C5
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dochorsepower
GM will not get my money unless it's a V-8. It's not a Corvette if if doesn't have a V-8.
so a 1953 isnt a Corvette?
Old 05-11-2011, 05:22 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Villain C5
so a 1953 isnt a Corvette?
Im sure you know what he means...

And I have to agree. The Corvette as we know it is a V8 sports car than any hard-working person can afford. It loses probably close to half its appeal wen you drop the V8.

The V6 models from the early years are fantastic because of their heritage and what they represent. These days, a V6 Corvette simply would not work. It may get better mileage and be easier to afford. But nothing will ever, ever replace the sound and pure driving joy that anything with a V8 provides.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Vetteinplano
Burning Brakes

A small proportion of Corvette owners are weird.

I remember when the C6 came out and all of the whining about how they wouldn't buy one because the pop-up headlights were gone.

If GM makes a Corvette, there will always be buyers.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Garrett W
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

V8
Old 05-11-2011, 09:58 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by dochorsepower
Old 05-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteinplano
I remember when the C6 came out and all of the whining about how they wouldn't buy one because the pop-up headlights were gone.
Pop-up headlights lost their practical reason to exist. Not so the Chevy smallblock V8.

When GM builds a V6 that's as cost-effective, compact, and lightweight as a cam-in-block V8 with competitive technology (e.g. no fair comparing a future direct-injection V6 to the current V8), and that has a similar area under the power curve, then a V6 has a shot under Corvette's hood.

But we ain't there yet, and I don't think we'll get there in the next decade or so without predatory legislation designed to kill V8s (e.g. stiff displacement tax) or kill automotive performance overall (e.g. minimum fuel economy per-vehicle, not just fleet average or gas-guzzler taxation).

The Chevy smallblock is just too good to die.

.Jinx
Old 05-13-2011, 12:15 AM
HarryWild
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I driven around a 2010 GT-R and it is super in everyway! If they come out with a twin turbo V6 like the GT-R; it will kill all the V8s. Just look at the statistic on the 2012 GT-R. They wiped out most of the V8s except the ZR1, Veyron and the LFA in the drag racing. But around the track with corners; it is the king!

Get notified of new replies

To This is the V-6 speculation - Corvette too?

Old 05-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Bill Baird
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by redvette77

The V6 models from the early years are fantastic because of their heritage and what they represent. ...
Actually, the six cylinder engines in the Corvette from 1953-1955 were straight 6's not V6's.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:09 AM
AuPanda
Advanced

I want torque, horsepower, and efficiency in a well matched (light) platform capable of out performing the previous generation of corvette and competitive with the other automobiles of the time. If it's a turbine diesel that is emblazoned with Hello Kitty (though I would prefer My Little Pony) on the manifold...I'll buy it.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:29 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by WaxWeekly
If the car has 380hp with lower weight, perfect weight distribution and road manners, I don't care how many cylinders it has.
It's a matter of preference, my friend. I MUCH prefer a V8 than a higher powered FI 6 cyl. It's all about the sound AND throttle response to me.

Most of the 'condom length' talk is about power. I also much prefer a well balanced package than brute power. We don't really need any more than 400HP on sub 3,500 lbs, but most folks think the more power the better. Well, that's going to stop at some point .

Quick Reply: This is the V-6 speculation - Corvette too?