Sponsored by:

Rumor is that GM's Dual Clutch Transmission will in C7

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 02:00 AM
NeoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02HREBlue
Its also nice to eat and drink in the car when you are not racing through the gears.
You are not supposed to eat while driving anyway...

Old 04-11-2011, 08:40 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,977 Likes on 1,216 Posts

The C7 should have a proper 6-speed manual AND a DCT replacing the current Automatic transmission. The DCT should debut on the coupe/convertible then later developed for the higher HP models.

4WD should not be an option. It requires too many compromises in the physical layout of the drivetrain. Due to the 3.5" ground clearance and high performance wide summer tires the 4wd would NOT enable the car to be driven in snow. Period. You would need a lift kit and chains to do that.

I wouldn't mind seeing a (rear) mid-engine car model in the C8.

As far as eating/drinking in the car, we have plenty of Camrys and Accords for that.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:44 PM
dfarese
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
The C7 should have a proper 6-speed manual AND a DCT replacing the current Automatic transmission. The DCT should debut on the coupe/convertible then later developed for the higher HP models.

4WD should not be an option. It requires too many compromises in the physical layout of the drivetrain. Due to the 3.5" ground clearance and high performance wide summer tires the 4wd would NOT enable the car to be driven in snow. Period. You would need a lift kit and chains to do that.

I wouldn't mind seeing a (rear) mid-engine car model in the C8.

As far as eating/drinking in the car, we have plenty of Camrys and Accords for that.

I think Corvette needs to be AWD, unless they can get traction from off the line or better handling for cornering with RWD, which I think will never happen, AWD is the answer. Top performing car have AWD, Lambo, Ferrari, Porsche, Bugatti, and of course Nissan GTR. The main goal of Chevrolet should be to beat the Nissan GTR, which that 4 seater over weight car with less power is putting corvette to shame.

They better beat that car with the C7 or their gonna find themselves having trouble selling cars with a price tag of 30k more than the car that beats it's ***.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:19 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

You sound like a Porsche Turbo S kind of a guy. I'm a Porsche GT2 RS kind of a guy. Scratch that, I'm a ZR1 kind of a guy.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:33 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,376 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Originally Posted by dfarese
I think Corvette needs to be AWD, unless they can get traction from off the line or better handling for cornering with RWD, which I think will never happen, AWD is the answer. Top performing car have AWD, Lambo, Ferrari, Porsche, Bugatti, and of course Nissan GTR. The main goal of Chevrolet should be to beat the Nissan GTR, which that 4 seater over weight car with less power is putting corvette to shame.

They better beat that car with the C7 or their gonna find themselves having trouble selling cars with a price tag of 30k more than the car that beats it's ***.
Ferrari's top performer is not AWD. Their AWD car (not out yet) is a shooting brake. Porsche's top track oriented car is not AWD. The Bugatti is a 4000 pound porker with a lot of power and not a sports car. The GTR is not a sports car.

None of the best handling cars in the world are AWD.

I have a very sincere suggestion. Do not buy a Corvette. Buy a Lamborghini or a Porsche or a GTR. It is clear they are the car you and a Corvette is not.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:14 AM
dfarese
Pro

Originally Posted by Racer X
Ferrari's top performer is not AWD. Their AWD car (not out yet) is a shooting brake. Porsche's top track oriented car is not AWD. The Bugatti is a 4000 pound porker with a lot of power and not a sports car. The GTR is not a sports car.

None of the best handling cars in the world are AWD.

I have a very sincere suggestion. Do not buy a Corvette. Buy a Lamborghini or a Porsche or a GTR. It is clear they are the car you and a Corvette is not.
I would just like the best for the money, If future corvettes cannot compete against lower priced cars, performance, tech and luxury wise, then yeah your right maybe I will buy something else.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:54 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

I thought the Vette was the best for the money. It is its strong suit. AWD is like park assist. Some people want it.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:03 PM
dfarese
Pro

I thought the Vette was the best for the money. It is its strong suit. AWD is like park assist. Some people want it.
Vette is best for the money for the base Vette.

But a GTR is the same price as a Z06, not even the same price as a ZR1, and for that you get better build quality, Performance, interior (which everyone bitches about), technology, dual clutch...etc......

Sorry but i'm gonna speak the truth, not just defend something because I own one.

Now I like the look of a vette much more, looks more like a sports car to me, And hope that vette gets all this stuff that comes standard on a GTR.

Lets face it if you go to a dealer and say "i'm looking for a bad *** sports car, with awesome performance. What do you have?"

We have two cars for you, GTR and a ZR1.

well the GTR, More luxurious, Best Performance, will smoke the ZR1 every situation, much more technology.

and with the ZR1, it looks better from the outside, oh and costs 30k more.

Come on guys thats a hard sell for a ZR1, grant it I like the ZR1 look way better, and I like buying american. But if you like the looks of both cars, I find it hard as hell that you would choose a ZR1.

If the tables where turned and the corvette had all this Tech, Perfm, and build quality, you damn right everyone would choose the vette.

I know this is probably pissing people off because you don't want to swallow the facts, but their it is.

Now once again I love Vette looks, but they need to compete with this car in it's price range, and I hope with the C7 they will. I would love to keep buying vettes, but I don't want to look at the car parked next to it and say, wow look how much more you get and it's 30k cheaper.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:33 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Sorry but i'm gonna speak the truth, not just defend something because I own one.
So, you own a GTR, but like the looks of the Vette better?
Old 04-12-2011, 04:16 PM
dfarese
Pro

So, you own a GTR, but like the looks of the Vette better?
No I own a Vette, Great car, looks awesome, just needs the build quality, interior quality, and performance quality of a GTR.

I said I'm not gonna defend something just because I own it. I give great cares their do's. A lot of people in these forums seem they'll defend and say the Vette is the best even if facts prove it different. But it's not totally a fair Competition also, cause this GTR is a 2012, and a ZR1 is a 2009, but then again a 2012 Z06 is even the same price as a GTR and looses in every category hands down. Except for me I think the exterior styling of the Vette always beats a GTR exterior looks.

I can't wait to see how good the C7 looks, and if it gets the quality GTR has and out performs it, man that is gonna be the sickest car.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:41 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

We have two cars for you, GTR and a ZR1.

well the GTR, More luxurious, Best Performance, will smoke the ZR1 every situation, much more technology.
Which performance situations are you referring to exactly? Please quote sources, times, etc for said claims. And make sure your sources are checked carefully for bias, of course.

jas
Old 04-12-2011, 05:45 PM
dfarese
Pro

Originally Posted by jvp
Which performance situations are you referring to exactly? Please quote sources, times, etc for said claims. And make sure your sources are checked carefully for bias, of course.

jas
referring to all performance situations.

Motor Trend

2010 ZR1
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/specs.html

2012 GTR
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/specs.html

Also Here is a Film if you want.

2012 GT-R VS Corvette ZR1 @ Nurburgring
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER2WPFlm22o

Did I quote enough?
Old 04-12-2011, 06:45 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

referring to all performance situations.
Hm. Let's examine carefully.

The GTR gets the 0-XMPH (30-100) wins.

The quarter sees the GTR take the ET by .3 seconds, but losing in trap speed by 4.2MPH.

They only performed a 60-0 braking with the GTR where it managed 101ft. The ZR1 managed 99ft.

Lateral acceleration goes to the ZR1: 1.07g vs the GTR's 1.05g.

The GTR takes the figure-8 by .1 seconds faster and .02g over the ZR1.

Unfortunately, they didn't run the same road course testing, but the GTR's 1.8mi time was 1:20.25, where as the ZR1's 2.5mi time was 1:29.69.

Bare in mind this is a press 2012 GTR, not one bought off the street. I can almost guarantee you that once they get into the hands of owners, they won't be performing anywhere near as well. But let's ignore that for a moment.

Also Here is a Film if you want.
Utterly, completely, and absolutely as useless as the above stats quoted by Motor Trend. These track runs at the 'Ring were performed on different days by different drivers.

Keep trying.

jas
Old 04-12-2011, 08:25 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Course they are going to have a dual clutch in the C7. They are developing it right now in the corvette racing team. It's a no brainer( if by some chance they cheap out & put another automatic in the C7, if they think vette sales are low now, this will look like a hay day by comparison. They won't though. Probably too soon to put it in the 2012, but if it is ready to go, they'll see a huge jump in sales for 2012. Chances are though, they'll just come out with special packages like that black version with the ugly black wheels they just announced)
Old 04-12-2011, 08:30 PM
dfarese
Pro

Originally Posted by jvp
Hm. Let's examine carefully.

The GTR gets the 0-XMPH (30-100) wins.

The quarter sees the GTR take the ET by .3 seconds, but losing in trap speed by 4.2MPH.

They only performed a 60-0 braking with the GTR where it managed 101ft. The ZR1 managed 99ft.

Lateral acceleration goes to the ZR1: 1.07g vs the GTR's 1.05g.

The GTR takes the figure-8 by .1 seconds faster and .02g over the ZR1.

Unfortunately, they didn't run the same road course testing, but the GTR's 1.8mi time was 1:20.25, where as the ZR1's 2.5mi time was 1:29.69.

Bare in mind this is a press 2012 GTR, not one bought off the street. I can almost guarantee you that once they get into the hands of owners, they won't be performing anywhere near as well. But let's ignore that for a moment.

Utterly, completely, and absolutely as useless as the above stats quoted by Motor Trend. These track runs at the 'Ring were performed on different days by different drivers.

Keep trying.

jas

Dude you wanted Facts I gave you facts, And you gave me back Excuses

Your ZR1 loses hands down, 0-60, 1/4 mile, and track. But after the GTR smokes you, you can tell him "well I pulled a better Lateral acceleration than you."

If you have Creditable facts showing the ZR1 beating the GTR in any competition, 0-60, 1/4 mile, or track, please enlighten us all.

Being a Vette fan, I would Love for the ZR1 to win.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:04 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Dude you wanted Facts I gave you facts, And you gave me back Excuses
You provided no facts other than stats from a magazine, from two different tracks, with two different drivers, on two different days. In some of those tests, the GTR won. In other tests, the ZR1 did.

Your ZR1 loses hands down, 0-60, 1/4 mile, and track.
Hands down? Apparently the phrase "hands down" is pretty loosely defined for you. The ZR1 loses off the line in each of those tests, if you look carefully. That's why the TIMES are better for the GTR from 0 to whatever speed. But at the end of the 1/4, the ZR1's trap speed pretty handily bitch-slaps the GTR's.

Which track are you referring to? The N'Ring video that someone merged together from 2 different YEARS? The ZR1 you saw on the N'Ring was a 2009 that was run in '08 by GM test engineer Jim Mero. Give racer Jan Magnussen a 2010+ ZR1 and he'll mop the track with any GTR.

But after the GTR smokes you, you can tell him "well I pulled a better Lateral acceleration than you."
Funny, I've passed a number of GTRs on the race track in my former Z06, as well as my current ZR1. Unlike yourself, I actually have first-hand experience on the track with my various Corvettes; I know what they can do. Only a couple of cars have ever passed me when I was in my Z06 (they were all-out race cars). Nothing's yet passed me in my ZR1.

If you have Creditable facts showing the ZR1 beating the GTR in any competition, 0-60, 1/4 mile, or track, please enlighten us all.
Unlike you, I actually understand that these cars HAVE NOT BEEN TESTED together on the same day, on the same track, with the same driver. You're too interested in stat-racing. Carry on, armchair-racer-boy.

jas
Old 04-12-2011, 09:23 PM
dfarese
Pro

Originally Posted by jvp
You provided no facts other than stats from a magazine, from two different tracks, with two different drivers, on two different days. In some of those tests, the GTR won. In other tests, the ZR1 did.

Hands down? Apparently the phrase "hands down" is pretty loosely defined for you. The ZR1 loses off the line in each of those tests, if you look carefully. That's why the TIMES are better for the GTR from 0 to whatever speed. But at the end of the 1/4, the ZR1's trap speed pretty handily bitch-slaps the GTR's.

Which track are you referring to? The N'Ring video that someone merged together from 2 different YEARS? The ZR1 you saw on the N'Ring was a 2009 that was run in '08 by GM test engineer Jim Mero. Give racer Jan Magnussen a 2010+ ZR1 and he'll mop the track with any GTR.

Funny, I've passed a number of GTRs on the race track in my former Z06, as well as my current ZR1. Unlike yourself, I actually have first-hand experience on the track with my various Corvettes; I know what they can do. Only a couple of cars have ever passed me when I was in my Z06 (they were all-out race cars). Nothing's yet passed me in my ZR1.

Unlike you, I actually understand that these cars HAVE NOT BEEN TESTED together on the same day, on the same track, with the same driver. You're too interested in stat-racing. Carry on, armchair-racer-boy.

jas
God, you will make any excuse just not to say your ZR1 got beat, pretty pathetic, every where I seen, every comparison, ZR1 loses to GTR. I love ZR1 also, but stop being a baby and give a better performing car some credit. You tell me Motor trend is not good facts, come on dude, where else would you like me to get facts.

Maybe you should call Motor trend and tell them since your ZR1 didn't win there whole company is full of it. If Motor Trend showed that the Zr1 won, then you'd be praising the Motor trend comparison

Originally Posted by jvp
But at the end of the 1/4, the ZR1's trap speed pretty handily bitch-slaps the GTR's.
LOL, so after getting beat at the 1/4 mile you can once again wine about your trap speed after. It Lost, 1/4 mile it lost, 0-60 it lost, and track it lost! things that matter. and remember it has almost 100hp less weighs 569lbs more and costs 30k less. Also the GTR's real competitor is the Z06, same price range.

Once again! show me some facts like I showed you.

Get notified of new replies

To Rumor is that GM's Dual Clutch Transmission will in C7

Old 04-13-2011, 07:40 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Listen to JVP. He has beaten every GTR he encountered at Summit Point. Real life scenario. Magazines are to sell magazines and ads in their magazines. You've be amazed what cars become Year of the Car, etc. Just look back 10 years.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:47 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

DCT should replace the automatic transmission of the current car. I hope GM makes the clutch replacement/service a little easier.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:09 AM
Achilles97
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Too bad the magazines don't have stats for an appearance competition. The other day I was driving down the road with my wife and we came upon a GTR. I said "Look, that's a GTR". She asked "where?". I said "Right next to us [pointed]". She said "THAT's a super car? It looks like an Altima with a body kit".

Quick Reply: Rumor is that GM's Dual Clutch Transmission will in C7