Sponsored by:

2013 Vette Update info out of Bowling Green

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 12:41 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
C2 series, the shortest run 1963 to 1967. Was the C2 series the same chassis as the 1957 on C1?
Nope, the 1963 C2 was essentially all new...but the C3 (1968-1982, the longest run) shared plenty (most) of it's underpinnings with the 1963-1967.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:16 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Default Not for me....

Originally Posted by haveblue
Chevy should just put the Corvette on "hiatus" for now, and bring it back in 4-5 years as the C8. Witness the hype with the return of the Camaro.

In my opinion, the mid engine C8 is the answer. Any Porsche fan will tell you the mid engine Cayman handles better than most 911s, and would be THE top Porsche if only Porsche would put a bigger motor in it.

What if Chevy did that? A super slick handling mid engine 500+ hp monster. Forget 911s, forget Audi R8s. You instantly have what Chevy desires. A brand new supercar that would be aspirational to future young buyers, would stick it back to the Europeans, and provide Chevy tons of publicity.
I respectfully disagree. What most people overlook is that the Corvette is already essentially a "mid engined" car, with the engine being behind the front axle and the weight distribution - especially with 2 passengers and a full tank of gas - being almost 50/50.

What most people seem to mean by "mid engined" is a rear engine mounted in front of the rear axle, like the Boxter. That does not appeal to me, as it makes engine access/servicing much more difficult, and limits access to storage space while dividing it into 2 or 3 separate areas instead of one large one.

Rear "mid engined" cars may have a lot of cachet on the street for wanna be racers due to their predomanance on the track, but I do not believe they are the best solution for touring cars. Look at Ferrari - even they recognize that fact in their models.

Each to their own, but my take is that Corvette is not a rear mid engined car.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:07 PM
behardt91
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
I respectfully disagree. What most people overlook is that the Corvette is already essentially a "mid engined" car, with the engine being behind the front axle and the weight distribution - especially with 2 passengers and a full tank of gas - being almost 50/50.

What most people seem to mean by "mid engined" is a rear engine mounted in front of the rear axle, like the Boxter. That does not appeal to me, as it makes engine access/servicing much more difficult, and limits access to storage space while dividing it into 2 or 3 separate areas instead of one large one.

Rear "mid engined" cars may have a lot of cachet on the street for wanna be racers due to their predomanance on the track, but I do not believe they are the best solution for touring cars. Look at Ferrari - even they recognize that fact in their models.

I agree. The current C6 actually has a good weight distribution, engine up front and transaxle in the back. And people try to make the Corvette like its a really high-end supercar when really it is the most bang for the buck supercar. So why turn the Corvette into an exotic mid-engine? Its not a European car. Its American and I think it should keep the current setup. As for the Ford GT, it is an American car, but people need to understand the original was designed in part by a British team and I think this explains the mid-engine ford.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:53 PM
The Highlander
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Damn.. I wish there was voting posts in this forum so I can give you all my votes/day.

I find this corvette to be the best it is in terms of layout. What I wish? Stronger parts to a degree... Lighter weight and of course... compatibility to older models

I like that I can pretty much upgrade my c5 z06 with c6 z06 parts.

What I really want: VVT and/or VVL for these engines in conjunction with DI. I want my cake and eat it too.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:24 PM
ANTIVNOM
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

Completely agree. I'm sure GM could make a great and wonderful mid-engined car, but I simply do not want one with a Corvette badge on it. The motor belongs up front.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:46 PM
The Highlander
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

One more thing I want... more airflow to the engine bay... these things run hot after some mods.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Blue Angel
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Sounds like the C7 will really be a C6.5 or just a C6 warmed over for sales. That'll certainly make folks wait for the C8.
Just like the C6 is basically a C5.5.

So will that make the C7 actually a C5.75?
Old 02-03-2011, 02:45 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by s1vannah
C7 will be a "very very enhanced C6 (evolutionary, not revolutionary) pushing on quality, efficiency, and and price/performance but will be "one of the shortest generations" of the platform as the C8 will quickly follow "within about three years" after C7 release. That car will be totally new."
This is exactly what a quality control engineer for the Bowling Green plant told the East Tennessee Corvette Club about 6 months ago.

Tom
Old 02-03-2011, 11:26 PM
AmericanPie
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

What I'd like them to do on the C7 is shrink both the size and weight by about 10%, which would make the car more tossable and fun to drive, while keeping the current engines (or better yet with a mild power upgrade on all models) and using better quality interior materials. Perfecto; no rear-mid engine needed.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:38 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default deluded

Originally Posted by BMadden
I think it's a safe bet that the C7 will look good and perform well. What they do(or don't do) to the interior is what interests me most at this point. You'd think after years of getting hammered by every automotive journalist on the face of the planet about the inferiority of the 'Vette interior compared to other sports cars GM would finally take steps to make significant improvements. I hope the C7 is finally the solution to that problem.
with the c5 "they" mocked the rear treatment,of course never a question about a whale tail 911.
c6 it is the seats.
c7 they'll nit pick something else
..................by c8 it may be poor gas mileage.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:10 AM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,831 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by TBIRD57
with the c5 "they" mocked the rear treatment,of course never a question about a whale tail 911.
c6 it is the seats.
c7 they'll nit pick something else
..................by c8 it may be poor gas mileage.
To be fair, I think all the criticism of the C6 interior is legit. You look at the interior of a Corvette compared to just about any other car(excluding cheaper models in the Chevy line of course) and it just looks inferior. It's not only the seats, but the steering wheel is an abomination, the climate control is hideous and the interior as a whole just needs a major overhaul. I read in another thread that they have targeted Audi as the model for what the C7 interior will be like. That's almost too good to be true because I personally think they have the best interior of just about any car maker these days. If the C7 can even come close to the Audi benchmark it will be a night and day improvement.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:32 AM
gedupont
Hobbyist
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C7

Most of you aren't old enough to remember but ........

Back in 1966 the all new 1967 C3 was supposed to launch and didn't. Instead they "warmed" over the exisiting C2 body. What a failure! In most people's eyes it turned out to be the most desirable C2 ever built.

Just my $0.02.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:59 PM
TGstring
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BMadden
To be fair, I think all the criticism of the C6 interior is legit. You look at the interior of a Corvette compared to just about any other car(excluding cheaper models in the Chevy line of course) and it just looks inferior. It's not only the seats, but the steering wheel is an abomination, the climate control is hideous and the interior as a whole just needs a major overhaul. I read in another thread that they have targeted Audi as the model for what the C7 interior will be like. That's almost too good to be true because I personally think they have the best interior of just about any car maker these days. If the C7 can even come close to the Audi benchmark it will be a night and day improvement.

and I might be alone on this, but I did not buy the c6 b/c of the interior. I thought the C5 interior had personality and character and still think it does today. Could the seats be better quality? sure. Should they have not pulled the stereo out of the malibu? for sure...but on the whole, it's got a lot more flava than the c6 interior...leather dash or not.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:59 PM
dmacx_33
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Chicago1
I can't see a new gen being only 3 years in production so it's still alot of bs/rumors untill I see real proof. Not saying your lying op but it's that friend of a friend. I want to hear something from GM. Camaros impacting vette sales? Doesn't the new mustang outsell them now yet GM doesn't say that the mustang hurts performance sales. Lots of holes in this one
Camaro has outsold Mustang for 2010 and has outsold Mustang for Jan. 2011 by nearly 1500 units. It is not only possible that Camaro is taking away Corvette sales, it is probable.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:46 AM
craftfox
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To the average guy with a family, the 430 HP Ss with a back seat is a easy choice over a vette, not to mention the price. This does not mean all vette buyers would consider this, but enough to impact sales do.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dmacx_33
Camaro has outsold Mustang for 2010 and has outsold Mustang for Jan. 2011 by nearly 1500 units. It is not only possible that Camaro is taking away Corvette sales, it is probable.
I'm sure the Camaro is stealing sales from the Corvette, but mostly because the new 5th gen Camaro is still new and novel.

After some production years, I'm guessing the Camaro won't steal any more Vette sales than they did historically from '67-'02.

Also, while stating that the Camaro outsold the Mustang in 2010 is true, it doesn't capture the whole story. The 2010 Mustang was only a minor refresh of the Mustang that had been selling for five years already. Again the Camaro was brand new and off the market since 2002.

The real test against the Mustang will come in '11 and beyond when the novelty of the Camaro wears off, and the new 5.0L Mustangs are selling in full force.... and the 5.0L is a far more worthy competitor to the LS3 than the old 4.6L in 2010 ever was. But we will see
Old 02-07-2011, 12:48 AM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TGstring

and I might be alone on this, but I did not buy the c6 b/c of the interior. I thought the C5 interior had personality and character and still think it does today. Could the seats be better quality? sure. Should they have not pulled the stereo out of the malibu? for sure...but on the whole, it's got a lot more flava than the c6 interior...leather dash or not.
You think an all black(or spots of red) interior with possibly the worst seats ever put into a corvette and the generic emptiness that is the c5 interior is better then the c6 interior with semi respectable seats, true two toned inteior since introduction(even before the 4lt option) and overall way nicer center stack?

Originally Posted by dmacx_33
The camaro outselling mustang thing and outselling vette thing is taken way out of context. The 2010 camaro was a brand new car, not to mention a Camaro. Therefor tons of people that might have bought any other car two years prior, but waited for the camaros release, caused 2010 camaro sales to be insane. Of course its gonna outsell a refreshed mustang and a c6 that you could have bought last year or the year before even. Id need to see surveys of real camaro buyers that said they SERIOUSLY thought about the corvette but chose to buy the camaro to believe it. Corvette still carries prestige, camaros dont. Plus with the loss of the solid axel, Camaros lost their edge in the quarter mile arena while not even coming close to corvette handling.

Get notified of new replies

To 2013 Vette Update info out of Bowling Green

Old 02-07-2011, 01:10 AM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 387 Likes on 242 Posts

GM sold 761 Corvettes in January. That's a 15% reduction over last January.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:52 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Default Market?

I think the C5 expanded the market for the Corvette to include folks interested in details like the quality/dependability of the vehicle including the materials of the interior. The trick for GM has been and is to keep expanding the market while not losing the pre C5 folks. And to do so without running the price up too far. At the same time GM needs to produce a performance hybrid to get press, give the buyer a clear conscious and to keep the greens quiet. Not all Vetts need to be the hybrid version, just the highend car. Economy of the straight internal combustion engine version is not enough, this isn't a matter of logic!

I suggest improved seats in all models ala Mercedes Benz, and a ZR1 with hybrid power ala Williams/Porsche flywheel power storage.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:53 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

I don't know, but buying a brand new sports car that you can actually drive to work every day. That is capable of speeds close to, if not north of, 200 mph, and still get 25mpg on premium pump gas, all for a price well under the $100K mark, then b****ing about the seats ...is about the equivilant of winning the lottery and then complaining about paying taxes on it. JMHO

Last edited by lt4obsesses; 02-07-2011 at 11:56 PM.

Quick Reply: 2013 Vette Update info out of Bowling Green