Sponsored by:

C7 changes

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Don Hoskins
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 changes

Like most of you fellow C6 owners I am very happy with my car. I personally cannot suggest any change that would compell me to buy a C7 when they go on sale. What changes would entice you to trade in your C6?
Old 12-10-2010, 02:18 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Latest and greatest electronics, telephone/navigation system upgrade. Interior upgrade, improved interior door panel and dash material.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:25 PM
DriverC6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOTS of posts about this in the C7 section.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:35 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Hoskins
Like most of you fellow C6 owners I am very happy with my car. I personally cannot suggest any change that would compell me to buy a C7 when they go on sale. What changes would entice you to trade in your C6?
Whether or not I ever buy a C7, I'm still keeping my C6.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:44 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After spending considerable money upgrading my '09 inside and out I doubt I will be enticed into a C7 unless it has a more sensuous interior and exterior, which is doubtfull.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:23 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Pics how about some pics?
Old 12-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

My C6 will be well into its expensive maintenance phase by the time C7 is available. The C7 Corvette is already on my short list... but knowing GM's propensity to cheap out in a few everyday areas, it's hardly a done deal. After all, I'll have spent more than ten years driving basically the same car with basically the same flaws (and the same strengths) -- they don't have to screw up much to make me want to try something else.

.Jinx
Old 12-11-2010, 04:51 PM
vant
Burning Brakes

Well I don't drive a C6, but I do have a C5 Z06, mainly because it is the lightest Corvette (3,118 lbs curb weight) going back to the '63 model year. I was sold on the raw and visceral race car feel which is, disappointingly, somewhat less pronounced in the 6th generation models (feels softer and too much like a grand tourer for my tastes).

I will be enticed to buy a C7 if the curb weight comes in under 3,000 lbs and has excellent steering feel and driver feedback. It seems to be getting harder and harder to find a true driver's car. People are more interested in computer controlled transmissions, gimmicky electronic features (that aren't very well thought out in most cases), or wall-to-wall alcantara / pimp daddy interiors.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:09 PM
mike85mph
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having had both the C5 and C6 - I like my C6 Z better than any Vette I have ever owned. To each his own, but the raw power in the C6 Z is truly amazing. Can't tell much difference in the steering feel, but like the shorter throw shifter. That's just me though, you could be right, and as I said, to each his own.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:49 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Changes that GM should make to the C7? How about:

1. A differential and axles that are bullet-proof for the engine's power plus a healthy safety factor. It should come stock with a robust clutch and slave cylinder design as well. It would serve Corvette well for the C7 to "earn" a reputation for a bullet-proof driveline.

2. Performance no less than current Z-06 for the base C7, provided by a V8. If all the C7 does is match the current base vette, Team Corvette will lose many sales.

3. Of course the one beaten to death. . . . fix the interior and seats.

4. Increased structural integrity (lose the squeeks, pops - and dare I say, even the Targa top/have fixed roof coupes and ragtops).

5. Tighten up the body panel gaps and improve tactile elements (to further the subjective sense of value).

6. Don't botch the styling (altho subjective, what I'm actually talking about is not so much the overall design, as the execution. I.e. put some quality looking wheels on it, tasteful accents only, give it aura of high class, no matter what the overal shape is).

If the C7 does just these 6 things, it will succeed.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:08 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

While I don't really forsee any radical changes for the C7. I imagine that we will see about the same type of evolution we saw in the transition from C5 to C6. I do believe that GM will really start needing to rethink the Corvette beyond that.

I say this because if one looks at the Corvette from it's enception, it has been primarily built for and sold to the "Baby Boomer" generation. The Corvette has always been at the cutting edge of American Sportscar technology. Yet, to look at the evolution of the brand is to look at the rising, maturing, and aging of the baby boomers. Corvettes have never been "cheap" for their respective times, but they have become more powerful, more expensive (comparitively), more sophisticated, and yes, more comfortable as the target demographic (baby boomers) tastes, purchasing power, and comfort demands changed over the years.

Well, the time is coming, perhaps not just yet, when the baby boomers will have no use nor desire for the Corvette. So, what then? GM will either have to retire the brand, or redesign from scratch for a new generation. This generation's demand for power will not change, but it will be younger. They will want more "feel" in terms of the visceral experience. Comfort will give way to race car like suspensions, demand for a "drivers" experience, and yes, it will need to be more affordable if GM wants to sell many of them.

But beyond that, which is just a personal observation by the way, there is the evironmental movement which is not going away any time soon. Combined with ever increasing price of oil, which does ebb and flow, but incrementally increases none the less, the Corvette will either have to change with times or fade into annuals of automotive history.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:03 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Wow. Never thought of that but that's an excellent way of describing it. And the future course too. Being a youngin of 22, Im smart enough to see the huge difference in performance, yet only couple dollars in price, of the ls cars and most of the imports being sold today or in the past. Just as I've found GTO's to be the diamond in the rough car. An ls2 gto is within dollars,(usually cheaper) then a same year civic si. I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but every time I see one of the countless 60 and 70+ crowd that buys z06's and zr1's I have to wonder if they have ever taken the car above 3000rpm's. Obviously part of it is prestige in owning a car that costs that but I can't help thinking what a waste, why not buy a used Bently or mercedes if you just want somethin expensive? The corvette really has grown to be a world beater. Yet in the real world its become more and more of a waxers dream car. I know GM has to make its money, but I hope they achieve what they aimed to do with the fixed roof coupe. Have regular and test, but make the z06 have less sound deadening, only one heavy duty suspension(magnetic ride control), fixed roof, no navigation, and a unique but purposeful interior. With the old and new z06 they were a half step away from that both times. But both times the interior wasn't purpose built for the track, or people wanted more refinement, just keep the hp the same. Porsche may have its own priorities and ways to make models profitable, but the have at least 3 track focused models at any given time. TRUE track models.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:48 PM
John-F
Drifting

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
Wow. Never thought of that but that's an excellent way of describing it. And the future course too. Being a youngin of 22, Im smart enough to see the huge difference in performance, yet only couple dollars in price, of the ls cars and most of the imports being sold today or in the past. Just as I've found GTO's to be the diamond in the rough car. An ls2 gto is within dollars,(usually cheaper) then a same year civic si. I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but every time I see one of the countless 60 and 70+ crowd that buys z06's and zr1's I have to wonder if they have ever taken the car above 3000rpm's. Obviously part of it is prestige in owning a car that costs that but I can't help thinking what a waste, why not buy a used Bently or mercedes if you just want somethin expensive? The corvette really has grown to be a world beater. Yet in the real world its become more and more of a waxers dream car. I know GM has to make its money, but I hope they achieve what they aimed to do with the fixed roof coupe. Have regular and test, but make the z06 have less sound deadening, only one heavy duty suspension(magnetic ride control), fixed roof, no navigation, and a unique but purposeful interior. With the old and new z06 they were a half step away from that both times. But both times the interior wasn't purpose built for the track, or people wanted more refinement, just keep the hp the same. Porsche may have its own priorities and ways to make models profitable, but the have at least 3 track focused models at any given time. TRUE track models.
You shouldn't assume age is indicative of driving style. You might be greatly surprised.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:40 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,377 Likes on 2,068 Posts

The ignorance of youth. The number of Z06 and ZR1 owners of any age that have never taken it over 3000 RPM (after break in) can probably be counted one one hand, or less.

The older I get the less interested I am in waxing the car. I only have so much free time among all of my responsibilites, I want to use it enjoying (driving) the car, not waxing it. Waxing is the pervue of the young with lots of free time waxing their ride in the park to catch the ladies eyes, and the retired.

The young have no corner on going fast, they just lack the judgement on when to do it, and especially when not to. I know I was young once. You think the young guys have a corner on the skills? I laugh at that. At the very highest levels of road racing (F1) is not an old man's game. However at most other venues experience can make all the difference in the world. Look at the racing class that requires the fastest, most consistent reflexes, Top Fuel Drag racing. John Force just keeps winning. Do you think it is because he doesn't take it over 3000RPM. Is it because he is the most physically fit driver? No it is because he is still fit and has vast experience.

I am not offended, I understand the ignorance of youth. Don't worry most eventually grow out of it.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:01 AM
RonR80
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I've had an 80 now for 13 yrs , love it , I do work on alot of vette , but agreed the electronics are out of hand, I've driven the newer generations and have seen so many little things wrong "electronically" speaking ,just enough to **** you off, that I'm not sure I'd want one of them . GM needs to slow down and make a sports car again ,I do love the power and fuel economy, C-3 Tech Ron
Old 12-16-2010, 12:13 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Racer X
The ignorance of youth. The number of Z06 and ZR1 owners of any age that have never taken it over 3000 RPM (after break in) can probably be counted one one hand, or less.

The older I get the less interested I am in waxing the car. I only have so much free time among all of my responsibilites, I want to use it enjoying (driving) the car, not waxing it. Waxing is the pervue of the young with lots of free time waxing their ride in the park to catch the ladies eyes, and the retired.

The young have no corner on going fast, they just lack the judgement on when to do it, and especially when not to. I know I was young once. You think the young guys have a corner on the skills? I laugh at that. At the very highest levels of road racing (F1) is not an old man's game. However at most other venues experience can make all the difference in the world. Look at the racing class that requires the fastest, most consistent reflexes, Top Fuel Drag racing. John Force just keeps winning. Do you think it is because he doesn't take it over 3000RPM. Is it because he is the most physically fit driver? No it is because he is still fit and has vast experience.

I am not offended, I understand the ignorance of youth. Don't worry most eventually grow out of it.
While its not necissarily fair i make a blanket statement like that, im not talking like a 10 year old. Its what I see witness and hear about. So maybe its a locality thing, but maybe not. I have always thought drag racing shouldnt be a crime. However yeah there are too many people my age that dont understand there is a time and place for everything, and some of the crappy roads in most states arnt the place for it. Just as you say im being ignorant because of my age maybe you are as well. I think its great im seeing so many teen age guys log on to the c4 forums and c5 forums sayin i got my first car i bought myself. Its great that not everyone resorts to a stock engine accord with a turbo attached and thinks its the end all be all. However ive seen enough to know that, while some of the best drag racers ive ever seen, and those in other racing circuits are older, when it comes to street cars I stand by my statement. Mainly do to the issue of money. Most these wealthier guys that retire and pick up hot rodding or continue hot rodding as a hobby go to the 9/10ths in building their cars. How many guys below 40 or even 50 have you seen with a 30's coupe with a blower sticking out of the hood? Cars that make an honest 500-600hp and probably 800lb ft. And they have full 13" brakes and MT slicks out back. Yet even with all the "right" running gear you think they really get on a car like that hardly at all? Experience is a good teacher I completly agree with you on that. More you do it the more consistant you get. Lets take something on the street that is just as extreme, the current 8, 9, and 10 second street bikes. How many older guys ride them? Very few that I know is a fact. Part of it is they learned eventually a bike like that could kill you if you keep acting dumb, and want something different in a bike something... yes thats right slower. But lets compare my dads riding to my own. My dad has riden for 45+ years, never dropped a bike, and riden the whole schibang of bikes(current bike is a low 12 second cruiser). Ive ridden 3 years now but riding with him for years and years ive watched all the people that make the wrong mistakes. I can tell you right now that im a hair less likely to go down on a 8 second bike then he is. His experience will save him in all the areas mine wont, but my reflexes and willingness to judge corners from a more "sporting" I guess you could say stand point are better then his.

The waxing thing??? How many 40+ guys have primer special cars... you have GOT to be joking if you thinking waxing and showing your car is a young guys forte. I just had to laugh at that. Lets come to the real world for a second. Ill say im pretty ashamed at most of my and younger then my generations taste in things. I was raised pretty old school despite what you might think. The huge wings, Kia Souls of the world, and pink rims are what a lot of younger guys think is cool... why im not sure maybe its just marketing mind control who knows. But the girls are of the same generation and they go with it too. Having a mustang now is not the same as having a mustang in 1970. It seems to be a running joke on here that more daughters have them then their fathers now a days. The only people who really talk about and show their cars to others, are the ones usually talking to other true car guys.

The other reason I know the older crowd(remember I did say im talking the over 50 crowd here) dont use the super vettes for their... purpose I guess you could say is because of the mentality I see and hear all the time. I found there are 3 kinds of vette owners. The possers who own it maybe 2 years because they wanted to show off then sell it cause it scares them(or own it for 10 years and drive it 2000 miles), the guys that are true car guys or usually more specifically vette guys, and those that drive it as a status symbol but arnt quite either of the other two. They have the one mentality that drives me crazy. They get challenged but a worked Mustang and they always say they just laugh it off or ignore the other guy. Like you said most younger guys dont know when the right time to go fast really is, so now that your older and wiser and know you can race on this specific road with no hassle, why are so many sticking their nose up at the other guy? Its a vette, yes a status symbol to most but first a formost a fast car. I stand by what I said, if you dont drive it fast you should have spent the same 80k on a loaded Cadillac because all you did was just save the next guy that buys your car a huge tons of cash... so maybe I shouldnt complain hmmm...

All im sayin your askin me do I really think younger guys have the skills to handle a zr1, and yes some do. Maybe more then you think, maybe not. But skill wasnt anything of what I was talking about, im just talking about slamming throttle every once in a while. You even supported what I said. Maybe the young guy doesnt have the sense to not bring it up to 130 on a horribly paved road but at least hes doin it and truely drving the car. You may be the exception and I truely applaud you for having a driving spirit, but your just that. And if you can shoot down what I just said Ill agree with you. But I think lt4's description of the evolution of the vette fits amazingly well.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:47 PM
John-F
Drifting

While its not necissarily fair i make a blanket statement like that, im not talking like a 10 year old. Its what I see witness and hear about. So maybe its a locality thing, but maybe not. ...
It might be a regional difference. In Southern California you see all ages driving fast and smart, driving fast and stupid, and waxing cars. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and make your points without any arrogance. While I'm probably your Dad's age, if not older, I really enjoy the participation of younger guys on the forum. I consider my self young and don't want to be on a forum with only old guys. BTW - my sport bike is a Suzuki GSX-R1000. Always had sport bikes except for a time I got a Harley for something different. Even though I modded it go faster, not the same and not as nimble.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 changes

Old 12-16-2010, 01:36 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

If I can drive it on the limit with confidence- that would be my biggest want (it should be with a smaller engine size). I think the C6 will kind of be known as the big-displacement era and will always be popular because of that.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:25 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,377 Likes on 2,068 Posts

While its not necissarily fair i make a blanket statement like that, im not talking like a 10 year old. Its what I see witness and hear about. ........

I am busting on you for making a generality about older guys, by making a generality about young guys, to make my point.

I think I did.

I have driven fast all my life. I do so less now. One after seeing my fair share of terrible accidents, I realize how stupid it can be in some circumstances. I drove very fast when the cars were not well suited for it, bad brakes, bad tires, soft suspensions. It was ignorant. It still is, just a bit safer from a car perspective. The other drivers are just as bad, maybe worse(we didn't have cell phones).

Another reason I don't drive as fast as often is because I have responsibilities now. I have a family that depends on me. Sure I have life insurance to support them if I die an untimely death, but money can't really replace a Dad. So when I was young and single and carefree, I could do more dangerous things without considering the consequences. As long as I did not endanger others, no big deal. The reality is that when you street race someone else is always in danger.

A smart guy will not drive an 8 second bike hard on the street. The likelihood of laying it down is high; the street is not prepped for that. There is dust and gravel everywhere.

Another reason I don't drive fast as often is that I know my limits, I know my reflexes are not quite as sharp (even at 50) and my vision is not as sharp, and, and... I know these things so I limit the when and where to fit that reality. The younger thinks he is invincible, so does look at all those things or "judges" he can handle it when he can't. There is a reason behind the cold hard fact that young males have more accidents. They step beyond their limits and their cars limits more than the rest of us.

I stand by my ignorance of youth statement realizing that there plenty of fine exceptions. I want the young guys in, we need them in the car scene. Buying new Corvettes is not where most will come in. When i bought my first new Corvette it was a 1990 model. It was one of the first 6 speeds in Dallas. I read the statistics that year on the age demographics of new Corvette buyers. I was 29. Less than 2% of new Vette buyers were under 35. I doubt it is a whole lot different now.

At 45 I had one of the most hard core sports cars you will ride in outside a kit car, a then new Lotus Elise with the sports pack. I was overweight and out of shape, but that did not stop me from folding into that car every morning to use it as a daily driver.

God bless the few that do not drive their high performance cars very many miles. Where do you think we get the low mile collector cars? OK a few of them were only driven 5000 miles in 20 years..... one quarter mile at a time

Last edited by Racer X; 12-16-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:32 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
I agree with this. I can't see anyone spending the extra money for the LS7 or the LS9 and not want to wring it out now and then. These are definitely driving enthusiasts cars.

RacerX and McGirk, you gentlemen both have valid points, but have taken the conversation a little "off road" so to speak.

The thing we are really talking about is that unique niche the Corvette does, always has, and probably always will fulfill...it is whatever it's owner wants it to be. There is room for all motives in the Corvette world. Whether that motive be a shiney sexy cruiser with the lady on Saturday afternoon, the parking lot filled with other Vette's and their owners sharing an afternoon of the one thing they have in common, or the track day adreniline rush down the straight at 180 into a tight hairpin. It is probably best described with the Bell curve;10% being the prestige motive, 10% being the racing motive, and 80% falling in between. It's not really about age. What is really important, is that GM not lose sight of the uniqueness of the Corvette in the automotive enthusiast market. And in terms of this thread, this is the one thing that must absolutely not change about the Corvette.

I know I am to blame for this conversation in bringing in the baby boomers, but I was just illustrating how the Vette has evolved around this certain group of people as their lives progressed, desires changed, and comfortability demands have changed, thus did the Corvette. Not so much a statement on age as a study in the past to guess the future.

Quick Reply: C7 changes