Sponsored by:

Hold on to your C5's

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 06:26 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by XPLOSYV
Since did the "majority" equal fact? How people feel about how a car looks is purely opinion...and like other things, we all have them! Really guys, give it a rest...enjoy what u have, desire what u want...life is too short and this thread is too long...lol
This should clarify:
The fact is that the opinion of most is that the C6 is a better looking car that the C5.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:57 PM
XPLOSYV
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol...smh...now where is that unsubscribe button?
Old 02-18-2012, 02:00 AM
3musky3
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

when the c4 came out it was so different than what it replaced it took time to grow on me but when the c5 came out i liked it right off. when the c6 came out it did not look all that different than c5 and really did not inspire me. but sticking to my gut and function over form when i read about the c6 and hear that they asked questions to corvette racing like what would they like and headlights that dont pop up because they kill the aero was one item that would help. well that alone is good enough for me. before i got my 00' c5 i always loved 63-7 and that is what i wanted. now when i am driving my c5 a c2 seems kinda old and hard to match the fun factor. in the end any vette is better to own than any other NORMAL car. a corvette is the benchmark by which all other performance stats are judged. if a camaro outruns a stang or vice versa one is happy but if one of those (normal) cars outruns a vette you know all their friends will hear about it and the muscle car owner will be on cloud nine for a while. for me i would like to see alot less electronics in the new cars. manual windows,seats no abs, traction control,tpms. manual hvac controls,door handles. although i do enjoy my hud and fob does provide quicker access in bad weather but how much weight could one remove if all these systems were manual and how much more afordable would it be.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:35 AM
msnbound
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That c7 doesn't look revolutionary at all..... Always loved corvettes but I am not getting a c7 if it looks like that.... Damn camaro taillights and all.... I'm keeping my c6z.....Stupid GM
Old 02-19-2012, 04:56 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,106 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by icyteddy
......And of course the C6 Z06 LS7 is superior then the C5 Z06 LS6.
I have personally witnessed the LS7's letting go on the track. GM tried to put in a bigger oil sump but the engine still requires close monitoring while tracking. I know of two that had to address low oil pressures on the track before the engines let go. It is a powerful engine and does serve a purpose but in no way is the LS7 a more reliable engine on track than the LS6. I don't mean to nit pick and take issue with every little detail but the history of the reliability issues on track between the C6 and C5 are purely academic.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:31 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm so sick of people saying the C7 renderings have Camaro taillights...

Firstly, WHO THE F*** CARES? It's a CHEVY design. Generally manufacturers like to stick with a specific style for ALL of the vehicles in their line up. That doesn't mean you'll be driving a Corvette badged Camaro. It means that there will be styles for THIS era in the correct generation of car.

Secondly, THEY'RE NOT THE SAME! You people need glasses. They're not the same shape at all. In fact, they have totally different trims too. The lights on the Camaro are TRAPEZOIDS! The lights on the C7 are PARALLELOGRAMS! How do you people afford these cars if you can't even get simple math shapes right?! What else looks the same? Their color? Yes, they're RED! Oh no!!! Aren't Honda tail lights red too?! Uh oh....

Lastly, DON'T BUY IT! If you're complaining about stupid things like what parts look like they're shared by a "lesser" (but actually just a different) car, I can only imagine that you're going to complain when you realize that the Camaro ALSO has round wheels. God only knows who may ACTUALLY wonder if your Corvette is a Camaro. And we wouldn't want someone thinking that you bought a "lesser" car, right? Especially since you simply cannot tell the difference between a Corvette and a Camaro as long as the tail lights have any sort of similarity.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:17 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I mean, personally I don't like the camaro-esque tail lights cause they're ugly. In fact I hope nothing else is reminiscent of the camaro, not because it's a "lesser" car, but because that's one of the most cartoonish looking cars in modern times. The cues from older camaros are so contorted they can hardly be called that. I'm baffled sales are still going strong, as probably about 1 out of 5 people I talk to truly think it looks good.

And there's no reason the corvette needs to be "chevy" styled. Me and all my buddies agree, the same grill on 13 different cars is boring. The whole "brand identity" can hurt more then help, as if you have a car that 3/4 of it looks great but the front end looks god awful, that could be a deal breaker. The corvette is a car made to instill excitement, it doesn't have to conform to other rules that other mass produced cars need to. Mustangs in modern times have avoided looking like focuses, the corvette deserves the same. At least dodge has managed to add the same grill to all their cars, yet few of the whole front ends actually resemble each other. Viper/charger/caravan all have the usual crosshair grill, but you'd never say one resembles the other.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:24 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Default Tail Lights? Pffft

I have had 8 Vettes including my fairly recently acquired new '10 3LZ Z06. I have enjoyed all of them from restoring the old '63 split window I found, to my C4 ZR-1, my C5 Z, and my 2 C6 Z's. So I have a little history here, and a dog in this hunt.... My cars are NOT garage queens and see the strip and HDPEs on occasion.

I am NOT preoccupied with the damn tail lights, but also not excited by what I have seen so far. The devil is in the details, but what has been shown so far, IF ACCURATE, does NOT excite me. In my garage sits a beautiful CRM 3157 lb Z, dynoed out accurately at a race shop 474 rwhp car with Halltech intake as only mod. Since I would not be interested in anything other than at least the Z06 version of the C7, which we are not likely to even see for a couple of years, I am content to enjoy the incredible ride I have for now.

But, I am a little suspicious. The current Z06 and ZR1s were developed during a very healthy economy, and before GM fell down the economic rabbit hole. The C7 gestation took place during a very different economic scenario. GM bankruptcy, very low yearly Vette sales, lousy economy do not necessarily add up to a C7 that is much more than some restyling and interior dress-up. It is true that very recent GM revenues show improvement, but C7 was locked in before then. I may be wrong, and I hope I am, but I am not betting the ranch on it. I am sure the 427 is dead after '13 and with it the N/A large displacement engine. That is a bit sad, and GM will have to positively WOW me with it's replacement if another Vette is to reside in my garage.

And anyone who thinks that C7 will be affordable by substantial (30,000) 30 or 40 somethings at South of $50k must either be expecting a pretty decontented car or they are taking better quality meds than I am.

I think the new Viper may have a better shot at blowing the doors off simply because Chrysler now has access to Fiat's incredibly deep pockets and probably selected access to some Ferrari influence. I mean, look at the interior of the new Jeep - incredible and even superior to the interior of my new Acura MDX.

I HOPE I am wrong and GM will pull a rabbit out of its hat. It had better. Frankly, there is just too much competition out there to support GM complacency or a bean counter centric approach to C7.

I want to believe - but I remain skeptical at this juncture.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:29 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
I mean, personally I don't like the camaro-esque tail lights cause they're ugly. In fact I hope nothing else is reminiscent of the camaro, not because it's a "lesser" car, but because that's one of the most cartoonish looking cars in modern times. The cues from older camaros are so contorted they can hardly be called that. I'm baffled sales are still going strong, as probably about 1 out of 5 people I talk to truly think it looks good.

And there's no reason the corvette needs to be "chevy" styled. Me and all my buddies agree, the same grill on 13 different cars is boring. The whole "brand identity" can hurt more then help, as if you have a car that 3/4 of it looks great but the front end looks god awful, that could be a deal breaker. The corvette is a car made to instill excitement, it doesn't have to conform to other rules that other mass produced cars need to. Mustangs in modern times have avoided looking like focuses, the corvette deserves the same. At least dodge has managed to add the same grill to all their cars, yet few of the whole front ends actually resemble each other. Viper/charger/caravan all have the usual crosshair grill, but you'd never say one resembles the other.
But isn't that the point I made?

The tail lights are Chevy-esq and yet don't look exactly the same as any other Chevy. What am I missing here?
Old 02-21-2012, 12:08 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by XPLOSYV
Lol...smh...now where is that unsubscribe button?
Laughter and head shaking is a form of denial.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I'm so sick of people saying the C7 renderings have Camaro taillights...

Firstly, WHO THE F*** CARES? It's a CHEVY design. Generally manufacturers like to stick with a specific style for ALL of the vehicles in their line up. That doesn't mean you'll be driving a Corvette badged Camaro. It means that there will be styles for THIS era in the correct generation of car.

Secondly, THEY'RE NOT THE SAME! You people need glasses. They're not the same shape at all. In fact, they have totally different trims too. The lights on the Camaro are TRAPEZOIDS! The lights on the C7 are PARALLELOGRAMS! How do you people afford these cars if you can't even get simple math shapes right?! What else looks the same? Their color? Yes, they're RED! Oh no!!! Aren't Honda tail lights red too?! Uh oh....

Lastly, DON'T BUY IT! If you're complaining about stupid things like what parts look like they're shared by a "lesser" (but actually just a different) car, I can only imagine that you're going to complain when you realize that the Camaro ALSO has round wheels. God only knows who may ACTUALLY wonder if your Corvette is a Camaro. And we wouldn't want someone thinking that you bought a "lesser" car, right? Especially since you simply cannot tell the difference between a Corvette and a Camaro as long as the tail lights have any sort of similarity.
Wow. Did you design the taillights? Because you sure are defensive!
Old 02-21-2012, 04:35 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
But isn't that the point I made?

The tail lights are Chevy-esq and yet don't look exactly the same as any other Chevy. What am I missing here?
But for now they arn't related to Chevy, they are related to camaro. Or it could just be most think they are goofy looking on both the vette or camaro. The double bar makes the Cruze, impala, and malibu look similar. Ford's triple bar design made the fusion, focus, and maybe Taurus look similar(can't remember about Taurus). Problem is that's boring unless you hit a homerun as they all start to blend together. Corvette doesn't need that.

And the thing with dodge is it's an afterthought almost anymore. I could probably survey 10 non car guys if they knew the vipers "grill" was a cross hair and they would probably say no. The charger and avenger are similar on purpose, but the new dart looks possibly similar to the neon, but that's about it. If part of the Corvette's problem is the "too-common-man" Chevrolet stigma, then avoid it. Mustang has and they're doing just fine. Everyone knows it's a Chevy, don't need a specific grill, taillights, nor those stupid "GM quality" square badges the cars used to get.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:24 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Surprised this post not locked.

Toque
Old 02-21-2012, 09:39 PM
ghostRder
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cdnguyred88
Looks a litle like a Caddy from the front....
Old 02-21-2012, 09:41 PM
ghostRder
Safety Car

Originally Posted by msnbound
That c7 doesn't look revolutionary at all..... Always loved corvettes but I am not getting a c7 if it looks like that.... Damn camaro taillights and all.... I'm keeping my c6z.....Stupid GM
But I think we'll see the rear split window return for another try...
Old 02-22-2012, 09:29 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Umrswimr
Wow. Did you design the taillights? Because you sure are defensive!
Just annoyed. Not defensive. It's like hearing people talk about their favorite garden rock day in and day out. Dumb. The worst part is that most of the points made in the complaints aren't even valid. So it's like hearing people talk about their favorite garden rock being a great boulder.

But for now they arn't related to Chevy, they are related to camaro. Or it could just be most think they are goofy looking on both the vette or camaro. The double bar makes the Cruze, impala, and malibu look similar. Ford's triple bar design made the fusion, focus, and maybe Taurus look similar(can't remember about Taurus). Problem is that's boring unless you hit a homerun as they all start to blend together. Corvette doesn't need that.

And the thing with dodge is it's an afterthought almost anymore. I could probably survey 10 non car guys if they knew the vipers "grill" was a cross hair and they would probably say no. The charger and avenger are similar on purpose, but the new dart looks possibly similar to the neon, but that's about it. If part of the Corvette's problem is the "too-common-man" Chevrolet stigma, then avoid it. Mustang has and they're doing just fine. Everyone knows it's a Chevy, don't need a specific grill, taillights, nor those stupid "GM quality" square badges the cars used to get.
Might as well skip the Chevy badges while you're at it.

To me what you just said is that putting the tail lights that look "some-what" similar to the Camaro's tail lights makes both cars blend together, thus making them boring.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:08 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

I mean, there is no Chevy bow tie on the corvette already. Has there ever been? It's always been the corvette flags, with the c4 symbol attempting to blend the 2 but, the corvette has never had any Chevy emblems. The bumpers have been engraved "corvette" but never Chevrolet as well.

And I personally think the lights just look bad, not boring. The new malibu teasers months ago showed camaro-ish tail lights as well. The production version has hints, but they toned it way down. Again, a good thing.

Mainly I'd have to say the 4 rounded tail lights are a corvette trademark, although I know other cars have had them as well. But while the later c4's strayed from that, the corners of the "square" lights were still rounded.

Get notified of new replies

To Hold on to your C5's

Old 02-24-2012, 01:17 PM
VetteLog
Burning Brakes

After 10 years and an average of 7,000 miles per year, I am promoting my weekend / long trip warrior to a garage queen. Hold on to it until we see C7.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:35 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

I mean, there is no Chevy bow tie on the corvette already. Has there ever been? It's always been the corvette flags, with the c4 symbol attempting to blend the 2 but, the corvette has never had any Chevy emblems. The bumpers have been engraved "corvette" but never Chevrolet as well.

And I personally think the lights just look bad, not boring. The new malibu teasers months ago showed camaro-ish tail lights as well. The production version has hints, but they toned it way down. Again, a good thing.

Mainly I'd have to say the 4 rounded tail lights are a corvette trademark, although I know other cars have had them as well. But while the later c4's strayed from that, the corners of the "square" lights were still rounded.
I see a Chevy logo. (Once again I suggest lens crafters.)

I don't see a problem with quadrilaterals as tail lights. I liked the 92-96 tail lights. In fact, those were my favorite C4s.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:27 AM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
That's funny. Because most people I talk to, still think the C5 looks better than the C6. Including C6 owners. That's all the 'research' I need.
Hahaha, you must not talk to many people then

If a person who bought a C6 thought the C5 was better looking, then why did they buy the C6 in the first place

They should have kept that dated C5.

I had a C5. Once I saw my old model Vette next to my friends new C6, I knew my days of owning a C5 were numbered. And I've never looked back.

Quick Reply: Hold on to your C5's