C7 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 01:30 AM
PaintballaXX
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
So were DOHCs

DOHC sounds much more advanced, especially since they have so many more moving parts! and take up so much more volume per cubic inch of displacement. And weigh more. Yeah they are a lot more advanced.

The Wankel is much more advanced than both! They make tremendous power per cubic inch, they must be the best! Unfortunately their fuel mileage and emissions suck by comparison, and the long term reliabilty is still lacking. And I am a big fan of the rotary engine and its design simplicity.
Wait, what? An engine manufacture could easily make a ohc or dohc engine with less moving parts than a ohv.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,383 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by PaintballaXX
Wait, what? An engine manufacture could easily make a ohc or dohc engine with less moving parts than a ohv.

SOHC engines are not "advanced". They are old news and therefore suck just like the OHV engine. Don't you know we must have DOHCs, 4 valves, and multiple turbos to be "advanced" and "cool" or is it "bad" or "off the hook". I am an old guy and can't keep up with the language of the whippersnappers.

Compare the 505hp OHV LS7 V8 with the similarly configured and powerful Ferrari DOHC V8. Start counting the parts. You will find that the Ferrari has more parts, gets less fuel mileage, has more engine friction, weighs more, takes up more space. There is a difference between can and do. I could take you back to a simpler time and show you one that has the potential with some redesigning of the head. The Ford 7 liter SOHC. Of course that is not "advanced" like a Ferrari DOHC V8. You could make a SOHC 4 valve per cylinder engine, or a 4 valve OHV engine too. Don't you see engineering reality has nothing to do with it. It is the perception of advanced, not the reality of what is advanced.

Once you go to a V design and 4 valves per cylinder to get the performance out of a small displacement engine, the moving parts of the OHC design multiples like rabbits. The advantage comes when you are designing to a restricted displacement due to arbitrary rules that the US does not have. We do not tax on displacement. We do not have the restriction of racing rules for road cars. It is an unecessary complication to have DOHC and meet the design and performance criteria of the Corvette.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:01 PM
PaintballaXX
Pro

Originally Posted by Racer X
SOHC engines are not "advanced". They are old news and therefore suck just like the OHV engine. Don't you know we must have DOHCs, 4 valves, and multiple turbos to be "advanced" and "cool" or is it "bad" or "off the hook". I am an old guy and can't keep up with the language of the whippersnappers.

Compare the 505hp OHV LS7 V8 with the similarly configured and powerful Ferrari DOHC V8. Start counting the parts. You will find that the Ferrari has more parts, gets less fuel mileage, has more engine friction, weighs more, takes up more space. There is a difference between can and do. I could take you back to a simpler time and show you one that has the potential with some redesigning of the head. The Ford 7 liter SOHC. Of course that is not "advanced" like a Ferrari DOHC V8. You could make a SOHC 4 valve per cylinder engine, or a 4 valve OHV engine too. Don't you see engineering reality has nothing to do with it. It is the perception of advanced, not the reality of what is advanced.

Once you go to a V design and 4 valves per cylinder to get the performance out of a small displacement engine, the moving parts of the OHC design multiples like rabbits. The advantage comes when you are designing to a restricted displacement due to arbitrary rules that the US does not have. We do not tax on displacement. We do not have the restriction of racing rules for road cars. It is an unecessary complication to have DOHC and meet the design and performance criteria of the Corvette.
Wow you sure said a mouthful. I happen to like ohv engines but a dohc or ohc engine REQUIRES less parts to make. Whether or not a manufacture decides to take the simplistic way out with the typical ohc engine is irrelevant as far my point is concerned. I was simply correcting the one thing you said that is simply not true. Yes the ls engines are cheap, light, powerful and fuel efficient. I never said otherwise, take a chill pill.

Last edited by PaintballaXX; 04-20-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Garrett W
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I want more displacement! maybe 7.0L for standard and 8.0L in Z

I want more HP naturally aspirated! 550 in standard 650 in Z to beat out the viper

GRRRR

Unfortunately what I want never happens....
Old 04-20-2010, 08:32 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,383 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Wow you sure said a mouthful. I happen to like ohv engines but a dohc or ohc engine REQUIRES less parts to make. Whether or not a manufacture decides to take the simplistic way out with the typical ohc engine is irrelevant as far my point is concerned. I was simply correcting the one thing you said that is simply not true. Yes the ls engines are cheap, light, powerful and fuel efficient. I never said otherwise, take a chill pill.
I stand corrected on the art of the possible.

Please give 3 current high performance examples that fit the Corvette, and its performance parameters that have fewer moving parts.

There must be some reason they don't build them that way.

I am sorry I just get sick and tired of people saying DOHC is so much newer and advanced, and OHV is old tech. (That is not directed to your response which was correcting my error.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:35 AM
hajim
1st Gear

2000 to 2002 model years:
7.3L DIT V8 Navistar
7.2L (3126B) Caterpillar inline 6
5.9L Cummins inline 6

2003 to current model years:
6.0L DIT V8 Navistar
7.2L (3126B) Caterpillar inline 6
5.9L Cummins inline 6

ALL of the above are diesel engines. A V10 or V12 engine does not exist as an option for the truck in question. Hope this helps.
=============
Cheap SEO
Old 05-08-2010, 01:06 PM
hbvette07
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by redvette77
Direct Injection is the best thing to do. In fact, if that's the only thing changed, then that would possibly be just perfect.

The current engine is bullet proof and already has pretty high mpg's the keep the CAFE folks quiet. Chevrolet has already shown what great things they can do with DI. Just look at the Equinox, it's 4 cylinder can get up to 32mpg, with owners reporting even more than that. And it's an SUV, with absolutely no hybrid technology. The Corvette needs this kind of improvement.

As for the sound, yea they are kind of quiet. But, if you add the optional exhaust system to the current lineup of base C6 cars, then they turn out great. The engine isn't the problem, they should just add that exhaust as a standard option across the base C6 lineup.
"Direct injection" has created nightmares for Audi owners owners, it has resulted in carbon build up on the intake valves, and a reduction in horse power, all occuring in less than 20K miles. Let's hope if GM comes out with it in the C7 they address the carbon build up issue from the beginning. My current car a Lexus IS-F, has both direct and port injection which to this point has worked successfully in reducing this issue. No way to know if it has eliminated it unless the heads are removed.

Some interesting reading on Direct Injection.

http://www.audiforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113568

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-up-Megathread

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f...injection.html
Old 05-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Wasn't Audi first? Early adopters usually pay a higher price and have more issues than those who follow. Direct injection is fast becoming common technology. Porsche, Buick, Hyundai... by the time C7 hits the showroom, direct injection will be passe.

Early fuel injection had problems too, and yet it had compelling advantages; we don't have carburetors anymore.

Still, I might wait until the second model year this go-round. We might not see a repeat of Cross-Fire Injection, but C6 did give us the Pilsbury steering wheel and SHIFT TO REVERSE.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:42 PM
hbvette07
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jinx
Wasn't Audi first? Early adopters usually pay a higher price and have more issues than those who follow. Direct injection is fast becoming common technology. Porsche, Buick, Hyundai... by the time C7 hits the showroom, direct injection will be passe.

Early fuel injection had problems too, and yet it had compelling advantages; we don't have carburetors anymore.

Still, I might wait until the second model year this go-round. We might not see a repeat of Cross-Fire Injection, but C6 did give us the Pilsbury steering wheel and SHIFT TO REVERSE.
I am interested to see the approach other manufactures are taking with DI, as I mentioned Lexus is combining DI with port injection. From what I understand the DI is used under hard acceleration and port injection is being used during cruising. By combining the 2 they are getting the best out of each while keeping the intake valves free of carbon build up.

Any idea what is being used in the Cadillac version?
Old 05-10-2010, 02:54 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchdb
Forget the Gas Engine!!!! They need to build it with a Twin Turbo Diesel!
Goodbye 400lb.ft. of torque, hello 850lb.ft. of torque!
Old 05-11-2010, 12:06 AM
87stocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gtb75
No it's not...

Everybody gets so caught up in new engine tech like DOHC, VVT, horsepower per liter, etc. Let's take the S65 mill from the new V8 M3... It's 4.0L motor putting out 414HP - so it hits that magic 100HP+ per liter mark everybody talks about. Now look at the LS7 in the Z06... It's a 7.0L motor putting out only 505HP - so way less than 100HP per liter. Obviously the LS7 is crap compared to the S65 - right? If you look beyond the HP per liter argument, you realize that pushrod engines are smaller and lighter than more modern OHC designs (of similar displacement). The S65 in the M3 weighs 445 LBS - the LS7 weighs 458 LBS... Now maybe it's me, but I'd imagine only a fool would complain about an extra 91HP for a measly 13 LBS. And if the extra 91HP isn't enough of an argument, then the extra 175 FT-LBS of torque should be.

There's more than one valid right way to get horsepower out of a motor. GM has done a great job with the LS series motors over the years... They're bulletproof and easy to work on. No they don't rev to 8,400rpm or have high HP per liter, but they put out a remarkable amount of HP/torque in a relatively small and lightweight package.

Amen Brother
Old 05-13-2010, 05:18 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Default Like almost anything

Modern DOHC engines: "Fiat (1912), Peugeot Grand Prix (1913, 4 valve), Alfa Romeo Grand Prix (1914, 4 valve)"

Most ideas appear very early in a development cycle. They come into and out of favor as materials and knowledge develop and requirements change. The internal combustion engine is no different. DOHC engines in multiple valves are no different.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:15 PM
mo-shy
Pro

DOHC DOHC DOHC DOHC DOHC DOHC
The winer...
Old 07-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Dave1998
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Steege
Ok, the young, lurking noob is going to make his prediction. lol

5.5 liter, direct injection. Still 400+ hp

It's a win/win. GM gets to make a smaller, more fuel efficient engine, while at the same time maintaining the current power outputs of the LS2/3.

So that renders moot the old theories of GM creating a smaller, lighter, Solstice-sized C7 with a weaker engine. Screw that weight ricer logic. :P

Before anyone says, "Why not just add D/I to the 6.2? ZOMG! EVEN MOAR POWER!!!" I honestly think a lot of people, and probably GM management, feel that the base Vette already has enough horsepower. I mean c'mon, 400+. Why make it even more unnecessarily fast when they can simply maintain all the awesome performance you already have while reaping much better fuel economy. It's a no-brainer, imo.

I thnk we have a winner

440 HP
Old 07-14-2010, 06:15 PM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

The poster that said ohc engines had less parts than ohv obviously has not taken them apart. My 03 cobra has 4 camshafts, about 16 feet of timing chain and heads that weigh 40lbs more(each) than my z06 heads. I will take the 16 little pushrods over all the extra crap on the 4 valve engine anyday...especially when the 4valve costs more, makes less hp, and gets poorer fuel economy. One camshaft is actually brilliant over the idea that you need a cam for each set of valves...that is monkey thinking...simpler is always more genius. Take a colt 1911 completely apart and do the same with a glock. You get the idea.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

a dohc or ohc engine REQUIRES less parts to make.
How do you figure??? Please cite your source for that fun-fact...
Old 07-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Vettster2
Cruising

What I find odd about this conversation is guys jabbering about smaller engines that are more fuel efficent... Honestly did anyone of us stand in the showroom looking at one of these rockets and ask the salesmen " what will I get for fuel milage " ?? Sure as hell wasn't me and besides for a 505 HP vehicle I think the mpg is great although I never checked it. GM should continue on its currant path giving us more HP with the C7 like they have with all the models before...

Get notified of new replies

To C7 engine?

Old 07-23-2010, 11:12 AM
mr-z
Burning Brakes

GM don't get it make it like a ford GT. THEN YOU HAVE A WINER.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:53 PM
PaintballaXX
Pro

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
How do you figure??? Please cite your source for that fun-fact...
For a ohv engine you need 1 camshaft, 16 valves, 16 rockers, 16 springs, and 16 pushrods. That's 65 moving parts not counting the pistons and crank etc. With a sohc engine you only need 2 cams, 16 springs, and 16 valves. Thats 34 moving parts. If so desired, a ohc engine can directly actuate the valve. These days that's not usually how its done, but that wasn't what I was arguing, so no need to quote me just to point that out.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:15 PM
Raith
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Garrett SNA
I want more displacement! maybe 7.0L for standard and 8.0L in Z

I want more HP naturally aspirated! 550 in standard 650 in Z to beat out the viper

GRRRR

Unfortunately what I want never happens....
as far as i know the Viper is out of production... So the Vette doesnt have much competition from other US auto makers.

And an 8.0L V8 would be rediculous... not that i would complain, but that would push the cost of the Vette even higher than it is now, and make it that much harder for younger Vette enthusiasts (like myself being 22) to obtain.

As for power, 550 horse for a base model is almost too much for some people to handle... I think 450-475 would be bordering on too much power for a base model Vette.

Quick Reply: C7 engine?