C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WEAPON-X "Boost Freeze" Chiller

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 03:45 AM
Dodge_4by4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Factory Supercharger

I am glad to see that it's working and things are progressing! That's exciting news. I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. Your setup will work with the factory Supercharger right? It does not require a different supercharger does it? Your sit is a complete kit that has all the factory clips, connections and stuff so it's a complete kit. Do you have any more information on how the setup works and where the parts are placed in the car? I am just wanting to get an idea as what modifications will be needed to install this kit. Any idea in the pricing yet? Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Ben@WeaponX (07-16-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 07:18 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Ben, love to pipe routing on the above setup! Got to help cooling as well as there must be nothing clocking the rad etc. now. Very impressive numbers as well!
Ben@WeaponX (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 01:06 AM
bp92gsr
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodge_4by4
I am glad to see that it's working and things are progressing! That's exciting news. I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. Your setup will work with the factory Supercharger right? It does not require a different supercharger does it? Your sit is a complete kit that has all the factory clips, connections and stuff so it's a complete kit. Do you have any more information on how the setup works and where the parts are placed in the car? I am just wanting to get an idea as what modifications will be needed to install this kit. Any idea in the pricing yet? Thanks
I would assume that it would not work with the factory intake considering this intake swaps out with the factory top mounted LT-4 supercharger/intake mani. To me, it makes sense that both cannot be installed at the same time. Id be willing to bet, by the looks of the design, that this is only for cars running century blowers/turbos.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:42 AM
Dodge_4by4
Advanced

Thats what i was curious of. I have seen intercooler setups that go under the blower. If it would require a whole different setup then it would be allot more expensive to be able to use this type of a system. I was under the impression that it would work with the factory system and that would be amazing, I had a intercooler system that went in between the factory supercharger and the intake on a Pontiac GTP and it was badass so I was hoping this was similar. Oh well. I guy can hope right? Maybe in the future???
Old 07-16-2018, 03:09 AM
Dodge_4by4
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ben@WeaponX
you have to delete the ATA IC and put the Z06 baffle in with our HX and an ATW box like on my ZL1

Since this is a rear mount turbo/supercharger setup though it won't be this complex

In this picture it looks like there using the factory supercharger and this is where i got the idea that this system would have an option to work with the factory system. Am i missing something?
Old 07-16-2018, 03:57 AM
bp92gsr
Pro

In this picture it looks like there using the factory supercharger and this is where i got the idea that this system would have an option to work with the factory system. Am i missing something?
Yes you are! You can clearly see that shiny object toward the bottom of the pic. That's the intercooler that is externally mounted and separate from the intake manifold. The OP design had an integrated air to water intercooler built in. That is the difference in using a factory supercharger vs running the centri blower. So to simplify...think of it like this. Centri = compatability with the OP design and not a factory design heat exchanger. Factory blower setup = external mounted intercooler design.

Last edited by bp92gsr; 07-16-2018 at 04:01 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:54 AM
Drew27
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts

This will work on your stock lt4 setip... is just cooling your intercooler water that feeds your surpercharger.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:37 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

The above picture with the external intercooler is on a compound boosted car (Turbo and supercharger)

The aftermarket intakes shown above have intercooler bricks within the intake manifolds. Your factory LT4 intake has similar cooling bricks in it.

A basic chiller setup just has to interface with the existing intercooler circuit somewhere. Coolant flows through the chiller, and, well, it chills. Nothing fancy. Im not privy to Weapon X's setup, but most of the chiller units I have seen are rather small in size (maybe 6x6x12) and will have a coolant in and out fittings and an AC in and out fittings on it

Last edited by atljar; 07-16-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:21 PM
Dodge_4by4
Advanced

Originally Posted by bp92gsr
Yes you are! You can clearly see that shiny object toward the bottom of the pic. That's the intercooler that is externally mounted and separate from the intake manifold. The OP design had an integrated air to water intercooler built in. That is the difference in using a factory supercharger vs running the centri blower. So to simplify...think of it like this. Centri = compatability with the OP design and not a factory design heat exchanger. Factory blower setup = external mounted intercooler design.
Thanks for the information. I guess I really was not missing anything as I was right in you can use the factory Supercharger with this system. They are just using a external air to water intercooler. That's why I asked in my other post if there was an option to use this system with the factory Supercharger, as this picture shows there is a way to do it, no matter how it is accomplished. That is great news! So excited! Can't wait to see the pricing and hp numbers!
Old 07-17-2018, 04:11 AM
bp92gsr
Pro

Thanks for the information. I guess I really was not missing anything as I was right in you can use the factory Supercharger with this system. They are just using a external air to water intercooler. That's why I asked in my other post if there was an option to use this system with the factory Supercharger, as this picture shows there is a way to do it, no matter how it is accomplished. That is great news! So excited! Can't wait to see the pricing and hp numbers!
I'm still not sure I agree with you or others saying this is compatible with a factory LT-4 SC. Thing is, the LT-4 design integrates the SC and the intake manifold all in one and has heat exchanger bricks built similar to the weapon-X intake manifold BUT, the weapon-X manifold does not have a roots blower built into it like the stock LT-4. Therefor, you will delete the top mounted SC when removed. The major difference is that when you bolt the Weapon-X to your long block, it will in fact eliminate your ability to utilize the factory intake manifold/SC. You WILL have to have a centri style design mounted on the front of your motor.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:14 AM
bp92gsr
Pro

This pic Ben referenced to is simply showing an after market A2W intercooler being utilized with the factory LT-4 SC. If you are wanting to swap to the OP manifold (SC not integrated), you will not be able to retain the factory SC and will have to install a centri kit.

Last edited by bp92gsr; 07-17-2018 at 04:14 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:14 AM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

Agreed. The intake/supercharger style has nothing to do with the chiller. If the car has a water based intercooler, then you can put a chiller on it
Ben@WeaponX (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 01:59 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I would assume that it would not work with the factory intake considering this intake swaps out with the factory top mounted LT-4 supercharger/intake mani. To me, it makes sense that both cannot be installed at the same time. Id be willing to bet, by the looks of the design, that this is only for cars running century blowers/turbos.
Yes, the fellas are correct! You can forget about what supercharger, turbocharger, or heat exchangers are on any of the cars. The Chiller integrates with the air to water cooling system for them and plumbs in line. These systems in the past of quite frankly been a mess if you search, as very few seem to perform well in the real world, almost always result in a train-wreck of a thread or post on fb groups between vendors and/or customers lol, and the installation took a welding/brazing technician to get it on the OEM lines.One of the things that makes our system unique is we have a complete plug and play solution and the HVAC engineer consulting on this has considerable experience with the integration of this with respect to the OE Freon/cooling capabilities, so it is remarkable not just in theory, but also application!
Old 07-17-2018, 08:46 PM
Dodge_4by4
Advanced

I'm still not sure I agree with you or others saying this is compatible with a factory LT-4 SC. Thing is, the LT-4 design integrates the SC and the intake manifold all in one and has heat exchanger bricks built similar to the weapon-X intake manifold BUT, the weapon-X manifold does not have a roots blower built into it like the stock LT-4. Therefor, you will delete the top mounted SC when removed. The major difference is that when you bolt the Weapon-X to your long block, it will in fact eliminate your ability to utilize the factory intake manifold/SC. You WILL have to have a centri style design mounted on the front of your motor.
I know what your saying but you may be missing the point as my original question was if the chiller system was able to interface with the original LT4 supercharger and yes I already had an internal heat exchanger in it. In the picture, it appears that it's the factory Supercharger, and they added an external chiller unit into the factory a2w heat exchanger circuit. Showing that it is in fact possible to use the chiller with the factory Supercharger and a2w intercooler. Now obviously they also have a completely different manifold with a built-in heat exchanger for the centri guys and that's awsawesas well. But as for now I want to utilize what I already have. And thanks Ben for the confirmation on the info. Can you PM me with any ballpark idea on pricing and any info on factory Supercharger kits? I just want to know what Im looking at as far as pricing and installation locations and such. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2018, 03:43 AM
bp92gsr
Pro

I know what your saying but you may be missing the point as my original question was if the chiller system was able to interface with the original LT4 supercharger and yes I already had an internal heat exchanger in it. In the picture, it appears that it's the factory Supercharger, and they added an external chiller unit into the factory a2w heat exchanger circuit. Showing that it is in fact possible to use the chiller with the factory Supercharger and a2w intercooler. Now obviously they also have a completely different manifold with a built-in heat exchanger for the centri guys and that's awsawesas well. But as for now I want to utilize what I already have. And thanks Ben for the confirmation on the info. Can you PM me with any ballpark idea on pricing and any info on factory Supercharger kits? I just want to know what Im looking at as far as pricing and installation locations and such. Thanks!
Yes I misunderstood you. I thought you were asking if the aftermarket Weapon-X intake/chiller would work with the factory LT-4 SC. So yes you should be able to use an aftermarket external heat exchanger if you so chose. The later model Z06 and new ZR-1 have much improved cooling properties as the consumer has found weak spots in early models. Looking at the 19 ZR-1, you'll see how much different the front bumper looks (more open) allowing for more coolers to be added for various systems the car is equipped with. That car is VERY well designed to handle road racing/track abuse compared to the Z06. As for your question, I highly recommend using a aftermarket chiller if you plan to drag/road race the car.

Last edited by bp92gsr; 07-18-2018 at 03:49 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:18 PM
Dodge_4by4
Advanced

Bp92gsr, yes I agree I do plan on drag racing and maybe doing some road racing in the future and that's why I am excited about this chiller. I think it would be a well worth while investment in my car and even if or when I upgrade my Supercharger to a larger unit I can still use this chiller. I like the roots style blower and am looking at a large Whipple in the future but for now this will be a great addition to my car. Just have to wait until it's available. I only wish I could afford a new ZR-1....
Old 07-19-2018, 12:12 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

People do realise this isn't going to help if you are road racing right? The chiller is going to take time to get water temps down. You don't have that time on track. So it won't be able to help. If you are tracking the car you want as much heat exchanger as you can.

for drag or street driving these systems are great as they can really get water temps down BEFORE the run.

Get notified of new replies

To WEAPON-X "Boost Freeze" Chiller

Old 07-20-2018, 02:40 AM
Dodge_4by4
Advanced

While that is true, any decrease in inlet air temp will help with performance. I would think with the chiller on full bypass and 100% of the a/c systems ability going to cool down the intake coolant i can't help but think that even on a road course that there would be some benefit and it would still cool the incoming air charge more then the stock a2w system would alone. This system if it works as advertised, will be a great addition to my car and I can't wait to get one.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:24 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Nope it's got F' all chance of keeping up! If you are tracking the car you need as much heat exchanger as you can!

Again not taking ANYTHING away from this kit,, it's going to be amazing for many people on here. But it's not going to help the guys that road race their cars.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:44 AM
Dodge_4by4
Advanced

Wow, guess you told me lol. I'm sure my experience will serve me well as a road course car would still show some benefit regardless of your thoughts. I agree a bigger heat exchanger would be better for a strictly road race only car but for someone who only uses it as a road race car from time to time and not a dedicated road race car this kit would still be a good investment and would still be an improvement over the factory a2w coolent system as I said before. You act like it would not add any improvement to a car at all and I feel your wrong as I have seen a custom kit with a small heat exchanger work wonders on a circle track car. So I know first hand how lap after lap any cooling over stock can make an improvement. So like I said before.... Anything is better than nothing, and for a multi purpose car like I am building, this is the perfect trick set up that will work for whatever I am going to be doing that that particular time.

Quick Reply: WEAPON-X "Boost Freeze" Chiller