Notices
C7 Corvettes for Sale Private Classifieds, Used C7 Corvettes For Sale, and Modified or Stock Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOLD - 2015 Z51 Total Custom

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 03:19 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

I have a question for people selling their car online.
How do you protect yourself when someone wants to test drive your car and they wreck it then say 'see ya'?
Old 01-21-2021, 06:27 PM
BryanKlingele
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 121 Posts
Modified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist

You could ask them if they will allow you to take a picture of their license and their insurance card. If they refuse, then you should (In my opinion) refuse to let them drive your car. It's really no different than going to a dealer and test driving one of their cars.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:37 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Originally Posted by BryanKlingele
You could ask them if they will allow you to take a picture of their license and their insurance card. If they refuse, then you should (In my opinion) refuse to let them drive your car. It's really no different than going to a dealer and test driving one of their cars.
Right. But still, how do you hold them accountable?
I thought of saying they had to have full purchase price on hand and if they wrecked it they bought it but I'm not sure if that's entirely reasonable.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:43 PM
BryanKlingele
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 121 Posts
Modified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm
I thought of saying they had to have full purchase price on hand and if they wrecked it they bought it but I'm not sure if that's entirely reasonable.
It truly is no different than test driving a car at a dealership. If you wreck their car on a test drive the will file a claim with your insurance company.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:19 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,941 Likes on 2,427 Posts

The above sounds like really good info. The other thing is that you are obviously going with them on the test drive. Keep them from doing anything stupid. I know the one time I sold my 2004 Z06 it was like 53 degrees and I had summer tires. I told the guy take it easy and actually reminded him again in a turn on a country road that I knew very well. Also reminded him while he was driving to be more careful shifting as that is the one way to blow up an engine (M6 trans). So yeah, keep a close eye on them while they're driving. You want the accident to never happen.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:54 AM
AdamP123
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a question for people selling their car online.
How do you protect yourself when someone wants to test drive your car and they wreck it then say 'see ya'?
Personally, I would absolutely not allow someone to drive my car until they bought it and I would let them know that BEFORE they came to look at it. If someone were to wreck your car on a test drive, it would be a legal nightmare (especially if they were an a**hole about it). Even if you ride along with them while they drive, they could still screw up something. I'd drive and let a potential buyer ride along and do whatever they wanted (within reason), but no one is driving my Vette until it is paid-in-full, and off my insurance. If that stipulation were to make my car harder to sell, so be it.

Last edited by AdamP123; 01-22-2021 at 07:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Tuf2Pas (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 12:02 PM
VINAL13
Pro

Received 351 Likes on 205 Posts

Check with you current auto insurance policy, you may be able to add a temporary driver rider that protects you in case the car is wrecked during a test drive. I would also be IN THE CAR during the test drive, this usually limits and spontaneous crazy driving habits from the person driving your car.
Old 01-24-2021, 12:45 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Originally Posted by VINAL13
Check with you current auto insurance policy, you may be able to add a temporary driver rider that protects you in case the car is wrecked during a test drive. I would also be IN THE CAR during the test drive, this usually limits and spontaneous crazy driving habits from the person driving your car.
Thanks, I'll check with my insurance Co.
I'll definitely be in the car 🚙 with them.
Trying to sell a car sucks.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:34 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Bump.
Old 02-10-2021, 03:02 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Bump.
Old 02-11-2021, 05:29 PM
onebadcad
Race Director

Received 255 Likes on 125 Posts

If a potential buyer shows up and wants a test drive, tell them no, but you will take them for a drive.
If they object ask them if they are willing to buy the car at full price if they have an accident on the test drive, a reasonable person will understand and accept you driving the car for a test drive.
If they are insistent, you can spend time authoring a liability document, but this is equal to enforcing as going after their insurance company for a claim.
I have never bought a car in a private sale, and doubt me driving the car would convince me of a buying decision more than the owner taking me out for a ride, as other things, such as service records and the car's appearance and the performance of the car while owner was driving would be acceptable to me.
Old 02-11-2021, 05:40 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

My insurance company told me that it would be them that would pay not the guy who wrecked it insurance company.
Old 02-11-2021, 06:35 PM
baddboyz03
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

Default x

phone number
Old 02-12-2021, 11:24 AM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Received 1,195 Likes on 663 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Everyone seems to be along the same page on how to take it from a niche car to a car for the masses! GLWS

I would cut a deal with whoever added all the red paint/wrap, stickers/decals to quote you how much they would charge to take it back to 100% black. If they said $2000, I will tell them that you are selling the car and would pay them $3000 or $3500 from the proceeds of the sell of the car and sign a legal binding contract that they are owed whatever dollar amount agreed upon.

I am just thinking out the box and creatively since you are clear that you don't have the "time, energy or money" to do it on your own. Or, you could find someone that you have the personal relationship with that has the financial means and give them the same offer if they lend you the money and you pay someone to do the work and when it sells you pay them back with the bonus money.

It's on FB and CL. It's a niche car.
Originally Posted by chblyth
This is a great car, I don't think you need to put it back to stock, the red is the biggest killer on this car, I think if you had everything set to black someone would scoop this up in a heartbeat, just too much red!! GLWS!
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly
Minus the lug nuts and the stickers.....I like it!
Originally Posted by Tuf2Pas
@village idiot, is onto something here. I'd take it a little further and lose the crazy lugs and louvers (side, rear). 86 the red accents. Voila, a sell-able car. :o)
Originally Posted by village idiot
Man, aside from the weird paint/stickers and other cosmetic stuff like the lugnuts, it's actually a cool car. I'm not sure why they didn't at least start with a GS, but tear those stickers off and it's a nice car.

Last edited by KGrant; 02-12-2021 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:40 AM
rwc815
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by KGrant
Everyone seems to be along the same page on how to take it from a niche car to a car for the masses! GLWS

I would cut a deal with whoever added all the red paint/wrap, stickers/decals to quote you how much they would charge to take it back to 100% black. If they said $2000, I will tell them that I am selling the car and I will pay them $3000 or $3500 from the proceeds of the sell of the car and sign a legal binding contract they are owed whatever dollar amount agreed to.

I am just thinking out the box and creatively since you are clear that you don't have the "time, energy or money" to do it on your own. Or, you could find someone that you have the relationship with that has the financial means and give them the same offer if they lend you the money and you pay someone to do the work and when it sells you pay them back.
Not sure if my neighbors would appreciate me if this was parked in my neighborhood. Strip it back to stock appearance and it may be more marketable.
Old 02-13-2021, 01:39 AM
aasports
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

PM sent
Old 02-13-2021, 06:11 AM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 184 Likes on 87 Posts

My insurance company told me that it would be them that would pay not the guy who wrecked it insurance company.
This is correct. Insurance follows the car. Anyone you allow to drive your car is covered by your insurance. If someone steals and wrecks your car, it's covered by your insurance.

Get notified of new replies

To SOLD - 2015 Z51 Total Custom

Old 02-14-2021, 11:34 AM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Bump.
Old 02-14-2021, 11:52 AM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Received 1,195 Likes on 663 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

That is true but some Insurance companies have specific language meaning you are covered when you let someone drive your car who has a “Valid Driver’s License” and if you don’t ask to see their license to validate that it is valid and current your claim could be denied. So make sure you ask to see the license and also take a picture of it for your records.

Originally Posted by foundvettelifeisgood
This is correct. Insurance follows the car. Anyone you allow to drive your car is covered by your insurance. If someone steals and wrecks your car, it's covered by your insurance.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:51 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Do you have the stock parts that came off the car? Are they included in the sale?

Also, where are you located?

Last edited by tytek; 02-14-2021 at 03:52 PM.

Quick Reply: SOLD - 2015 Z51 Total Custom