Notices
C7 Corvettes for Sale Private Classifieds, Used C7 Corvettes For Sale, and Modified or Stock Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why aren't all dealers offering employee/supplier incentives?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 07:10 PM
tcotta411
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Why aren't all dealers offering employee/supplier incentives?

I don't understand. Regarding employee discounts or suppliers discounts, why aren't all dealers across the board offering this incentive? So far, I know of only one dealership agreeing to honor an employee discount.

What gives?

Ultimately, wouldn't a dealership want the sell? Regardless of the incentives? Are they losing something when an employee walks through the door?

Please help me understand...........
Old 03-26-2014, 08:20 PM
wuznme
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hot car, low supply (Z51's) More money in their pocket...I call it greed, without the employees and suppliers. They wouldn't have such an item to sell.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:53 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,212 Likes on 824 Posts

Just be patient grasshopper....It shall come.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:31 PM
tcotta411
Drifting

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
Just be patient grasshopper....It shall come.
Patient? You mean patient until GM decides to raise prices again? Or patient until another "restriction" is added to the list?
Old 03-26-2014, 10:58 PM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by tcotta411
I don't understand. Regarding employee discounts or suppliers discounts, why aren't all dealers across the board offering this incentive? So far, I know of only one dealership agreeing to honor an employee discount.

What gives?

Ultimately, wouldn't a dealership want the sell? Regardless of the incentives? Are they losing something when an employee walks through the door?

Please help me understand...........
Because they are greedy
Old 03-26-2014, 10:58 PM
V-Dub
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "Gotta have it now" mentality is exactly why things are the way they are. Although we all love vettes...it's just a car. Wait till they see it your way then buy. The price increase is irrelevant to me because I have a dollar amount I'm willing to pay with the options I want. Till that magical day comes, they can keep the car and I'll keep my loot.

V-Dub
Old 03-27-2014, 04:42 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,212 Likes on 824 Posts

Patient? You mean patient until GM decides to raise prices again? Or patient until another "restriction" is added to the list?
See post number 6.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:42 PM
C6BlkVette
4th Gear

If you're willing to spend extra time to save some $$ you can find dealers willing to support the supplier/employee discounts. My experience was to contact a large number of dealers from different parts of the U.S. and out of 40 - 50 found about 3 willing to work with the discounts. In less than 2 weeks I moved from Order Accepted (1100) to Factory Scheduled (2000) which is the magical number. Hang with it, work with a dealer that's up front and it's all doable. Looking forward to receiving my (and this is for a Z51 option) in mid-May now.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:58 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

I did a little research on this..... my son in law is in finance and has worked at GM dealers who did and would not offer the discount. One would think if the discount is say $5K that the manufacturer would get 100% reinbursed for the $5K. Simple.... straight forward.

BUT apparently for some dealers this is how it works...... for some not........ in ALL cases there are other costs to this program. An example he gave was for a dealer to use this program there could be a very expensive marketing premium that the dealer needs to pay. Yes you may drive more business your way and get the discount reimbursed but there are other costs to consider.

AND it sounded pretty complicated and fluid.

Bottom line every dealer makes many business decisions everyday. This is just one more.

It is a free market and each dealer decides what they want to focus on.

You did note the program came out the same time they raised prices right???

Call Les Stanford.......... Dennis Tap. They do the discount.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:27 PM
tcotta411
Drifting

Thanks for that explanation. That makes sense. Been playing phone tag with Dennis.
Thanks for all the info. You guys are great!
Old 03-31-2014, 01:12 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by C6BlkVette
If you're willing to spend extra time to save some $$ you can find dealers willing to support the supplier/employee discounts. My experience was to contact a large number of dealers from different parts of the U.S. and out of 40 - 50 found about 3 willing to work with the discounts. In less than 2 weeks I moved from Order Accepted (1100) to Factory Scheduled (2000) which is the magical number. Hang with it, work with a dealer that's up front and it's all doable. Looking forward to receiving my (and this is for a Z51 option) in mid-May now.
I agree with your strategy. If one wants to put in the effort and call LOTS of dealers to ferret out the few that are hungry enough AND have the allocation ( assuming they are honest about having the allocations at steep discounts when the stingray is such a hot item), then they may be succesful in their quest. Some potential buyers are advertising on here they are ready to buy at GMS and are perplexed why some dealer isn't jumping at their proposal. Nice try, but it's probably way too early in the game for that to happen. Course one never knows, there may be some hard up dealer that gets fished in.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:00 PM
tcotta411
Drifting

Thanks to all for the information and input. I found a dealership who would honor my GMS. A small dealership in VA.
$68,725 MSRP. After GMS, $59,625. Whoa! I didn't know the discount was going to be that awesome!
Now I hurry up and wait...but with a discount like that, I obviously don't mind waiting.
Life is good.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:05 AM
FLYNLO
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks to all for the information and input. I found a dealership who would honor my GMS. A small dealership in VA.
$68,725 MSRP. After GMS, $59,625. Whoa! I didn't know the discount was going to be that awesome!
Now I hurry up and wait...but with a discount like that, I obviously don't mind waiting.
Life is good.
I hope you understand the allocation process.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:41 AM
tcotta411
Drifting

Yes. I have a clear understanding of the process. Very clear.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:42 AM
tcotta411
Drifting

All thanks to this forum, of course!
Thanks guys
Old 04-12-2014, 08:17 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

if you had a car for sale that no one else had and you wanted 20k for it and one guy will give you 15k and the other guy will give 20k, who are you going to sell it to?

just because you are a buyer at 15k doesnt mean there arent 10 people waiting at 20k....its not greed, its business. when the line of 20k buyers runs out, which it will, the 18k buyers get the cars....then you.

this is economics 101.....you are really mystified?
Old 04-13-2014, 01:41 PM
deleonm
6th Gear

Default allocations

Dealers should post when they have Z51 allocations. Maybe this will make them a little more honset. I would bet there are alot of corvette newbees out there that do not completely understand the process and are sitting there waiting on an order for six months that should only take 3 months.

Get notified of new replies

To Why aren't all dealers offering employee/supplier incentives?

Old 04-13-2014, 06:39 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by deleonm
Dealers should post when they have Z51 allocations. Maybe this will make them a little more honset. I would bet there are alot of corvette newbees out there that do not completely understand the process and are sitting there waiting on an order for six months that should only take 3 months.
Dealers that get Z51 allocations don't have available Z51 allocations so that would do no good.....

"Hey everyone we got Z51 allocation this week but it's already sold to someone on our list of people waiting for Z51 allocations, thanks."

A dealer doesn't get all their allocations one one lump at the beginning of the year or whatever. They come in one here, two there.....or none ever. Or one, ever.

You get on a list and wait when demand far exceeds supply like it does right now. Later on in a few months (or a few years, who knows) then you can just go get a Z51 whenever you want. It's much safer for a dealer to post when they have Z51 in inventory that is unsold.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:50 PM
EVL-C8
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Dealers that get Z51 allocations don't have available Z51 allocations so that would do no good.....

"Hey everyone we got Z51 allocation this week but it's already sold to someone on our list of people waiting for Z51 allocations, thanks."

A dealer doesn't get all their allocations one one lump at the beginning of the year or whatever. They come in one here, two there.....or none ever. Or one, ever.

You get on a list and wait when demand far exceeds supply like it does right now. Later on in a few months (or a few years, who knows) then you can just go get a Z51 whenever you want. It's much safer for a dealer to post when they have Z51 in inventory that is unsold.

So I can't just go find a Dealer that can order a vette ( My dealer cannot? ) and sit down, build my Z51 and order it? I have to wait until GM says they can have one?
Old 04-16-2014, 04:01 PM
tcotta411
Drifting

Default Yes. That is exactly right

Originally Posted by FRANK121
So I can't just go find a Dealer that can order a vette ( My dealer cannot? ) and sit down, build my Z51 and order it? I have to wait until GM says they can have one?
The allocation process is basically a permission slip from GM authorizing the build of a C7. From my understanding, allocations are divided between coupe and convertible and also z51 and nonz51. For example, an allocation for a coupe cannot be substituted for a convertible.

This process has been discussed at length on this forum, therefore some members don't have a lot of patience for someone just learning the process. For me, it took some convincing because I just couldn't believe that such a system would be in place. But, of course, it is true. Very true.

Most would direct you to dealerships associated with the forum who have many and plenty of allocations to build. Personally, I was basically ignored by at least 2 forum dealers and became frustrated with the ordering process. Ultimately, I found a local dealership with a nicely optioned artic white z51 that I feel in love with. The price was more than I wanted to pay, but I got an employee discount through my uncle so the out-the-door price was very manageable.

If you don't have a lot of patience, buy from inventory. If you are willing to call around and play phone tag to catch a forum dealer, take a stab at ordering.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Why aren't all dealers offering employee/supplier incentives?